Who else thinks Monty is going to be a special back?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know anything about Williams but don't like what I have read here about him not having really good speed or really good moves.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't know anything about Williams but don't like what I have read here about him not having really good speed or really good moves.

While Williams won't impress anybody with his speed ir moves he's a talenred power back who shows great balance, gains yards after contact and excels in pass protection. In my opinion might turn into a nice complement to Montgomery.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Special" is subjective, but I think that might be a bridge too far as I define the term. The backs in the league at the moment that I would consider special are Bell, Johnson, and McCoy. Lynch, Charles, and Peterson are still in the league and used to fit that term. But that would be about it for the time being, though younger guys could emerge.

I don't think Montgomery will be in that category. But he could be quite good. I'm optimistic, but not quite that optimistic.

Those are all guys who had a lower per carry average than Montgomery.

D

Deleted member 6794

Those are all guys who had a lower per carry average than Montgomery.

Montgomery's numbers are based on a small sample size though. There's no doubt the running backs mentioned should be considered more talented backs than him.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery's numbers are based on a small sample size though. There's no doubt the running backs mentioned should be considered more talented backs than him.
That fact that we was trained and studied as a WR last season and was able to do what he did indicates he is a natural talent as well. What he was able to do in switching positions is unheard of in the modern era. We'll look again in 6 months and see.

Sky King

Reaction score
Brandon Jackson learned to be an excellent (blocking) 3rd down back in his time here as a RB. Now that he's back as a coaching intern and showing the new RBs the ropes, maybe he can succeed coaching-up Monty or one of the others to his former level of competence. Williams already looks like he's going to be worthy competition as a three-down back.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams certainly does not excel in any one area, but is good at a lot of things. Thats what makes him dangerous. A speed back can only beat you with speed. A power back is only going to try and run you over. A runner who is good at a lot of things can take advantage of the weakest part that each play offers itself. This was Emmit Smith. Not elite skills in speed, power, or elusive. But was very good at all of them. Coupled with the amazing OLine - and he had an opportunity on each play.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What I need to see in Williams is that his power game translates to the NFL level. Because he isn't especially large, so I have some misgivings that his ability to break tackles and gain YAC won't be as special in the pros. We shall see. Some guys just have a knack for it. Marshawn Lynch wasn't especially big coming out of Cal.

Brian Purdy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The intriguing thing about Montgomery at RB, is he is a former wide receiver. Matching him up with a LB or Safety has to favor Montgomery due to his ability to catch the football.
He also is a returner who has skill navigating through traffic. Packer love to turn returners into receivers. Cobb, Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks and Ah man Green. They can create the big play.

Alex42152

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Below is a link I am sure most of you have seen already. It's clear 88 has fully dedicated himself to becoming a true RB and I believe the G&G are going to be rewarded handsomely for making this move last season. He showed a lot of promise last year in limited touches and his YPC and elusive ratings back that statement up.
In this video you see he's been working with the same footwork guru that helps L. Bell, E. Sanders and Melvin G to name a few. 88 looks quick and like a natural with the ball in his hands. TyMo is also up to 223lbs and looks like he was carved from granite. I know there is a lot more than running that goes into the position but from a pure talent standpoint I think we may have struck gold here. Read/watch the link and let me know your thoughts...G P G!!!

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...ntgomery-go-all-in-with-running-back-training

He will be a special RB, different from the rest, make sure we´ll have that position covered for a long time from now, he will be great

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I still feel like keeping Monty back to block, is like sending bahk out for a pass...
We have tes that can sit back and block, while Monty goes out for the pass or dump off.

It doesn't work that way.

Running back blocking is the most effective way to hedge against blitzing. You don't necessarily know where the free rusher is coming from on a blitz. A running back, by virtue of being a few yards behind the line and relatively close to the middle, has the perspective and time necessary to identify the rusher and get in position to block that person. A tight end is on one side of the line or the other; he isn't going to be able to pick up a blitz that's not on his side.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't work that way.

Running back blocking is the most effective way to hedge against blitzing. You don't necessarily know where the free rusher is coming from on a blitz. A running back, by virtue of being a few yards behind the line and relatively close to the middle, has the perspective and time necessary to identify the rusher and get in position to block that person. A tight end is on one side of the line or the other; he isn't going to be able to pick up a blitz that's not on his side.

I understand that. But te can still move around and plant himself in front of the biggest threat. Allowing the rest of the oline to shift their attentions down the line.

I feel Monty's receiving ability deserves special strategic moves to really cash in on it. Such as keeping the 50 pound heavier te in to block, rather than go out for a pass. While sending the huge mismatch #88 out to burn lbs.

With a qb like Rodgers, who can scramble. See blitzes before they happen. Add a rb who is always open for the dump off pass, giving him a outlet, if the blitz does happen to get through the line. Rodgers will handle it.

Also. If Monty is perpetually open, the would-be blitzers would have to be taken out to bring in a dime back to cover him...

Point is. He is just as valuable, if not more. Being open in the flats, than he is standing there waiting for the first guy to get through the line... especially since rbs whiff most the time anyways...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I understand that. But te can still move around and plant himself in front of the biggest threat. Allowing the rest of the oline to shift their attentions down the line.

I feel Monty's receiving ability deserves special strategic moves to really cash in on it. Such as keeping the 50 pound heavier te in to block, rather than go out for a pass. While sending the huge mismatch #88 out to burn lbs.

With a qb like Rodgers, who can scramble. See blitzes before they happen. Add a rb who is always open for the dump off pass, giving him a outlet, if the blitz does happen to get through the line. Rodgers will handle it.

Also. If Monty is perpetually open, the would-be blitzers would have to be taken out to bring in a dime back to cover him...

Point is. He is just as valuable, if not more. Being open in the flats, than he is standing there waiting for the first guy to get through the line... especially since rbs whiff most the time anyways...

Being asked to block as a running back and being asked to catch passes are not mutually exclusive. Every back on the Packers roster will be asked to do both-- sometimes on the same play. But it is still integral to the offense that the player in on passing downs can block for reasons stated. You cannot replace that with a TE.

Members online

Latest posts