Who else thinks Monty is going to be a special back?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Below is a link I am sure most of you have seen already. It's clear 88 has fully dedicated himself to becoming a true RB and I believe the G&G are going to be rewarded handsomely for making this move last season. He showed a lot of promise last year in limited touches and his YPC and elusive ratings back that statement up.
In this video you see he's been working with the same footwork guru that helps L. Bell, E. Sanders and Melvin G to name a few. 88 looks quick and like a natural with the ball in his hands. TyMo is also up to 223lbs and looks like he was carved from granite. I know there is a lot more than running that goes into the position but from a pure talent standpoint I think we may have struck gold here. Read/watch the link and let me know your thoughts...G P G!!!

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...ntgomery-go-all-in-with-running-back-training

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
"Special" is subjective, but I think that might be a bridge too far as I define the term. The backs in the league at the moment that I would consider special are Bell, Johnson, and McCoy. Lynch, Charles, and Peterson are still in the league and used to fit that term. But that would be about it for the time being, though younger guys could emerge.

I don't think Montgomery will be in that category. But he could be quite good. I'm optimistic, but not quite that optimistic.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Special" is subjective, but I think that might be a bridge too far as I define the term. The backs in the league at the moment that I would consider special are Bell, Johnson, and McCoy. Lynch, Charles, and Peterson are still in the league and used to fit that term. But that would be about it for the time being, though younger guys could emerge.

I don't think Montgomery will be in that category. But he could be quite good. I'm optimistic, but not quite that optimistic.
I can follow your line of thinking. The thing that gives me hope he can be special is the small sample size of last year. He was essentially thrown into the fire and handled it about as well as possible. He's had an entire off-season to complete the switch not only physically but just as importantly IMO, mentally. This is the way I look at it: Size...check. Speed...check. Elusiveness...check. I am not necessarily saying this upcoming season will be the year he joins the "special" group but I do feel over the next few seasons it is possible. As each game passes he should become more confident and start trusting his eyes more and more. We'll see...thanks for your input.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've always thought Montgomery had the skills to be a very dangerous weapon for us with the ball in his hands. He needs to stay healthy, and I think he'll prove to be pretty good.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he is special. I think he has a real nack for getting open in the passing game and I hope they use him well in that regard (not only dump offs). He seems to break tackles well and should get a lot of 1 on 1. Certainly he also needs to recognize and pick up blitzes. So I see him more of a combo back but if he runs well (which will also depend on the O line) he is a 3 down back. imho

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I truly get excited about every running back the Packers draft, sign or in this case convert to RB, hoping he will be the next Barry Sanders. Afterall, a RB can have a huge impact on a game. But those players don't come along very often, so I have to be realistic and just hope they can be a solid contributor for X amount of years, in a passing oriented offense, playing behind a Future Hall of Famer.

The limited outlook on Monty is definitely a positive one, with maybe his injury history and lack of experience being the 2 wild cards in predicting what he ultimately does. Could he be a great back? Sure! Could he be anything else besides great....most likely and if he stays healthy, this season might give us an indication of just where he lies on the RB spectrum of talent.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I can follow your line of thinking. The thing that gives me hope he can be special is the small sample size of last year. He was essentially thrown into the fire and handled it about as well as possible. He's had an entire off-season to complete the switch not only physically but just as importantly IMO, mentally. This is the way I look at it: Size...check. Speed...check. Elusiveness...check. I am not necessarily saying this upcoming season will be the year he joins the "special" group but I do feel over the next few seasons it is possible. As each game passes he should become more confident and start trusting his eyes more and more. We'll see...thanks for your input.

I hope you're right.

Yogididit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I think that Monty doesn't make it through the whole season. Could be injuries, fumbles, or lack of production, but I don't see him getting more than 1100 total yards.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expecting a RB by committee situation. I think we will have good production, but spread among Monty and Jamaal with Jones getting some carries later in the season. Monty is an interesting RB for sure. His knowledge/ability in the passing game makes him a matchup problem. I'm afraid defenses will be better prepared for him this coming season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why is he still #88?

“It’s who I am,” Montgomery said of the No. 88 per Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “It’s me. It’s been my number, and if I don’t have to change it, why should I?”

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Ty-Montgomery-explains-why-he-wont-change-jersey-number--52895909

Also, the good news with the #88, it reads the same when he is upside down. :coffee:

Personally, I like that he kept it. Shows a bit of attitude and determination, as well as reminding/confusing the defense..."Is he a RB or a WR?"

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I'm concerned with is his health. This kid can BALL.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The only thing I'm concerned with is his health. This kid can BALL.
Besides the injury thing, I am waiting for him to prove he can run between the tackles on a consistent basis, seems to me he didn't have that ability last year. Give him a big enough hole or a way to get outside and he may break it, but he wasn't a guy like Lacy who could bowl over anyone inside. His increased weight and offseason workouts as a RB, should help. Also, more reps will help him become more familiar with reading defenses, being able to find holes and not have to rely solely on his innate ability to run.

Enjoyed reading this article on Monty:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...de-ty-montgomerys-rb-metamorphosis/358722001/

Last edited:

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ready to get flamed for this. But I think we are in for a disappointment. Last year was a surprise to everyone. Thiis year everyone has film.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm ready to get flamed for this. But I think we are in for a disappointment. Last year was a surprise to everyone. Thiis year everyone has film.

I doubt you get flamed (too badly), since there probably is some varying degrees of doubt in many people's minds. However, you will have one hell of a thread posting to point back to and be able to say "I told you so", if you are correct.

As far as the film, that can help a defense, but it still didn't prevent some of the best RB's in the history of the NFL from being effective over the course of their careers. Ezekiel Elliott currently pops into my head. If he isn't suspended, I don't think any amount of film from his successful rookie year is really going to help defenses stop him much better than last year. Now the film might help DC's to start looking at the way Dallas utilizes EE and formations, but if a RB has the talent and the OC knows how to change things up, it still is going to be hard to stop him.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Not sure about how this could effect Ty, but I hope like hell it effects Dak Prescott.

Him coming back down to Earth, paired with their potential issues in the secondary, also paired with Zeke's issues could bode very well for the Packers to make a move up in the standings/seeding.

Yogididit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as the film, that can help a defense, but it still didn't prevent some of the best RB's in the history of the NFL from being effective over the course of their careers. Ezekiel Elliott currently pops into my head. If he isn't suspended, I don't think any amount of film from his successful rookie year is really going to help defenses stop him much better than last year. Now the film might help DC's to start looking at the way Dallas utilizes EE and formations, but if a RB has the talent and the OC knows how to change things up, it still is going to be hard to stop him.

Monty isn't one of the best RB's in history though. And the Packer's offense relies a lot, maybe too much, on deception. More film is always going to hurt us, especially compared to offenses like Dallas. That being said, I do think some teams will have a hard time stopping him while he's on the field. I just don't see him being on the field as much as some people expect.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Monty isn't one of the best RB's in history though. And the Packer's offense relies a lot, maybe too much, on deception. More film is always going to hurt us, especially compared to offenses like Dallas. That being said, I do think some teams will have a hard time stopping him while he's on the field. I just don't see him being on the field as much as some people expect.

What benefits Packer RB's probably the most is #12. Defenses have to respect what he may do on any given down. Where Monty will also thrive is his ability to come out of the backfield and run a route one on one against a LB. But unless he shows different, I think you are right, so far, in his limited career as a RB, he probably can't be classified as a "pure RB" who would most likely thrive in a run first offense like the one in Dallas. All that said, I think everyone will have a much clearer picture of what kind of a RB he will be in the NFL after this year.

He also was much better than any other RB in Green and Gold last year, so that is another good sign.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd like Monty as a RB a whole lot more if he was the complement to a fully healthy and relatively stable weighted Lacy. If Monty is 'the guy' then I'm not sure how I feel about him. That uncertainty is not due to his lack of ability, which he has in spades - he was my favorite young WR till he made the move. More that I'm not sure I trust MM to fully utilize his talents, I guess. Monty has great elusiveness and fantastic hands, and having spent a year plus as a WR he also has excellent route running understanding. He could be an insane weapon both out of the backfield and swung wide from from the backfield, let alone his skills running. As a change of pace, I feel like MM and co would be more willing to do those things with him. As the primary back, I find it more likely they just keep doing Pitch, Draw, Pitch, Draw.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still have some doubts as if he can be a three down back, I hope so. I think he can be a dynamic Reggie Bush type though. My hopes are he does become a guy that can run the ball, block when we need it, and catch out of the backfield. I hope one or two of the rookies do well too, my bet is the guy out of UTEP.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not so sure the Packers don't also have at least a few doubts about Monty, after all, they did spend 3 draft picks on RB's.

Reaction score
Monty has a quadrifecta of variables which should lend to his future success.
1. His experience at KR makes finding holes in an expeditious fashion natural and instinctual.
2. Ty possesses a natural confidence at the position. IMO, while he may not have played the RB position at the Professional level before 2016, his past experience as a Rusher provided him the foundation for the success he has had this far.
3. Having an entire offseason training program and being a student of the fundamentals at RB at this level will smooth out any wrinkles.
4. His physical characteristics scream RB. He's got good burst, he's got a solid balance of upper and lower body strength, he possesses a good mix of both without being top heavy in either category. (While I loved Lacy, he leaned more Strength and it sometimes cost him points in an open foot race). His young age is a huge plus and his limited RB snaps equate to limited punishment thus far. With the Lords' grace, he could have a long and lustrious career.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't expect Montgomery to turn into a great running back but he could definitely develop into a decent player at the position.

We're a dynamic back away from shattering offensive records.

The Packers offense should be extremely successful even without an elite running back this season. The offensive line needs to improve blocking for the run though as well.

The only thing I'm concerned with is his health.

I have heard concerns about Montgomery's ability to stay healthy but with him being built like a lot of the top running backs truly believe those are irrational.

I'm not so sure the Packers don't also have at least a few doubts about Monty, after all, they did spend 3 draft picks on RB's.

In my opinion Thompson mostly drafted three running backs to add depth to the position. The coaching stafd has been abundantly clear that Montgomery is the starter.

Members online

Latest posts