Who can beat Seattle in Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not according to what the players themselves have said. The grass field is their advantage in Lambeau's home field advantage.

Just because grass is an advantage to the Packers doesn't mean not playing on it is a disadvantage. Could not be an advantage or disadvantage to either team.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given the playoff picture that was developing heading into week 16, the significance of that Buffalo game in avoiding a hot Seattle team at CenturyLink seemed obvious. I'm not calling the Bills pushovers or denying that teams have bad games, but if Green Bay is serious about winning another championship, that's a win they have to get. Nonchalance toward that blown opportunity is odd.

Maybe we lose next week to Dallas or Carolina pulls off a miracle and it's a moot point anyway, but perhaps we should revisit this after the NFC Championship.

It's not nonchalance. Everyone is aware that our chances of winning a championship would have increased dramatically if we would have gotten HFA. Blown opportunities and regret at missed chances that could have helped their team's postseason chances out aren't a unique problem to Green Bay, though.

They still have a chance to go earn it and be the best 53. I don't expect them to anticipate defeat just because (if) they have to go to Seattle, nor would I expect Seattle to anticipate losing if they came to Green Bay.

Like you said, we're still a Green Bay win and a Seattle win away from this even being an issue at all, so let's see what happens next week. If we can't beat Dallas at home, we certainly had no business looking at ourselves as a 1 seed anyway.

Johneric8

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't the topic of this thread a little weird? I mean, didn't the packers look awful against the hawks in Seattle? If my memory serves me well, the Cowboys went into the noise palace and spanked the hawks right? If I'm going on matchups and whats been shown to us, it's a safe bet to say the cows have a shot and the pack really dont...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well week 1, the packers didn't play well enough to have a shot at winning many. Critical penalties, turnovers, dropped balls, mental lapses all over the field. and I doubt any team would have beaten Seattle that day. If we win this weekend, I like our chances.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Isn't the topic of this thread a little weird? I mean, didn't the packers look awful against the hawks in Seattle? If my memory serves me well, the Cowboys went into the noise palace and spanked the hawks right? If I'm going on matchups and whats been shown to us, it's a safe bet to say the cows have a shot and the pack really dont...
Many on this forum don't want to admit that the Pack have not been very good on the road. Some will respond with "but they really looked great against Tampa Bay" "It was the most complete game of the season."
True but it was against a .133 team.

Pack only beat one team on the road with a winning record and it was Miami and they barely did that.

But I'll never say never with this team. They are capable of playing like world beaters on any given day, on the road or at home. So we shall see what we shall see...

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Seahawks lost another D-lineman http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-injures-his-calf-out-for-the-year-per-report\

They have now lost Mebane and Jordan Hill in there interior. They look pretty thin in there to me. They just signed this guy to there 53 man roster http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2320173-seahawks-add-dt-landon-cohen

I will say this. There D-line isn't even close compared to what we have been up against.

Do you think this means a healthy dose of Lacey to the inside is in store? I mean, we've seen teams run right up the gut on them with success this year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Do you think this means a healthy dose of Lacey to the inside is in store? I mean, we've seen teams run right up the gut on them with success this year.

I think Carolina might even be able to have some success running the ball up in on them. I mean they got a 34 year old Kevin Williams anchoring there middle and he has a limited snap count. The guy they brought in to fill in there rotation in the middle was "valet parking" cars last week.

Hardly a scary front to me when you consider the fronts we have butted heads with.

Yes. I say give em "BAM BAM"

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah because week 1 is the same as the playoffs. What happens in one game is exactly what will happen the next game. The 2011 Packers didn't beat the Giants in the regular season in New York. The 2012 Ravens didn't get rocked at home by the Broncos.

Wait a second...none of that is true....

Also, didn't this year's Cowboys didn't get destroyed on Thanksgiving? Based on that they should have had no chance in Philly. But didn't they beat the Eagles only two weeks later? Pretty sure they did.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And for the second time, winning 30-23 is a close game. Dallas didn't have the lead for good until about 3 minutes to go and Seattle had a game tying drive opportunity.

Please try to refrain from simply making stuff up when visiting our forum.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks lost another D-lineman http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-injures-his-calf-out-for-the-year-per-report\

They have now lost Mebane and Jordan Hill in there interior. They look pretty thin in there to me. They just signed this guy to there 53 man roster http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2320173-seahawks-add-dt-landon-cohen

I will say this. There D-line isn't even close compared to what we have been up against.

Jordan Hill was mainly a pass rusher at DT, not really a run stopper. Really, their dline all season has been about Avril and Bennett (btw, Bennett is a perfect example of why the Bucs suck so much, how did they let this guy go????). Their dline is certainly not up to the standards of Buffalo or Detroit, it IS on par with Miami's dline and they caused some issues for the Packers. Luckily, Miami had nowhere near the caliber of linebackers or secondary players. I'm not bringing this up to say the Packers have no shot, just that our offense didn't play exceptionally well in Miami and Seattle's defense is MUCH better than Miami's (as far as players go).

For the Packers to win in Seattle they will have to have, by far, their best offensive game of the season on the road. I'm talking night and day compared to what the Packers have managed at any other point this season (againt anyone without a QB named Cutler). With the Packers' offense that's very doable but it IS concerning that they've not managed to do so this season.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Hill was mainly a pass rusher at DT, not really a run stopper. Really, their dline all season has been about Avril and Bennett (btw, Bennett is a perfect example of why the Bucs suck so much, how did they let this guy go????). Their dline is certainly not up to the standards of Buffalo or Detroit, it IS on par with Miami's dline and they caused some issues for the Packers. Luckily, Miami had nowhere near the caliber of linebackers or secondary players. I'm not bringing this up to say the Packers have no shot, just that our offense didn't play exceptionally well in Miami and Seattle's defense is MUCH better than Miami's (as far as players go).

For the Packers to win in Seattle they will have to have, by far, their best offensive game of the season on the road. I'm talking night and day compared to what the Packers have managed at any other point this season (againt anyone without a QB named Cutler). With the Packers' offense that's very doable but it IS concerning that they've not managed to do so this season.

One thing Seattle doesn't have on their defensive line that Miami does is Cameron Wake. Wake was complete stud in the game against us and caused many issues. Bennett and Avril are good, but I don't see them being as good as Wake was.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing Seattle doesn't have on their defensive line that Miami does is Cameron Wake. Wake was complete stud in the game against us and caused many issues. Bennett and Avril are good, but I don't see them being as good as Wake was.

Michael Bennett was just as good as Cameron Wake this year. He had fewer sacks but more overall pressures on the QB and he was much better agains the run (Bennett is actually one of the best DEs in the NFL against the run).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the Packers to win in Seattle, they first have to beat Dallas

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Ummm, Jordan Hill had 5 sacks in last 6 weeks and was also a factor in run D. Mebane was there best run stuffer upfront. Averil is only 260 and under performed this year with 5 sacks. Bennett is by far there best D-lineman but Bulaga can handle him and did before he got hurt in the first game. They don't have anybody else worth mentioning. This D-line in current state is average,

Yes, I agree with Mondio we need to get by Dallas here but I don't think we can just compete with the Seattle D-line. I believe we can dominate them up front with our boys. If there Linebackers are having to make plays with Lacy accelerating in 2nd level I don't care how good they are. They play 4-3 and need D-line push with that scheme, And I don't care how good there secondary is if they have to stack the box against "The Master" and our weapons.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm, Jordan Hill had 5 sacks in last 6 weeks and was also a factor in run D. Mebane was there best run stuffer upfront. Averil is only 260 and under performed this year with 5 sacks. Bennett is by far there best D-lineman but Bulaga can handle him and did before he got hurt in the first game. They don't have anybody else worth mentioning. This D-line in current state is average,

Yes, I agree with Mondio we need to get by Dallas here but I don't think we can just compete with the Seattle D-line. I believe we can dominate them up front with our boys. If there Linebackers are having to make plays with Lacy accelerating in 2nd level I don't care how good they are. They play 4-3 and need D-line push with that scheme, And I don't care how good there secondary is if they have to stack the box against "The Master" and our weapons.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Did you miss where I said Hill was a pass rusher? And if you think Bulaga can "handle" one of the best defensive ends in the NFL then I'm just very glad you're not designing the gameplan. I also REALLY wish people would learn that sacks aren't the only thing that measures production (just like yards aren't the only thing of value for QBs). Avril got pressure on the QB 64 times this year, that's only one less than Cameron Wake.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Did you miss where I said Hill was a pass rusher? And if you think Bulaga can "handle" one of the best defensive ends in the NFL then I'm just very glad you're not designing the gameplan. I also REALLY wish people would learn that sacks aren't the only thing that measures production (just like yards aren't the only thing of value for QBs). Avril got pressure on the QB 64 times this year, that's only one less than Cameron Wake.

Go watch the film of the first Seahawk game. Bulaga did a good job. It wasn't until he got hurt in 2nd qtr and a guy who isn't on our roster any longer went in there and got beat up by Bennett. Bennett is a really good player no doubt but one really good defensive lineman doesn't make a great D-line. Averil is decent but I wouldn't call him anything special when you look around the league and no there not getting pressure with 4 like they did last year. There blitz percentage is up which points to that. I mean all these guys snap counts are way up too.

They got a guy that there gonna roll into there interior rotation that was "valet parking" cars last week and I am not exaggerating. People think that you can just throw a "Seahawk uniform" on a guy and all the sudden he becomes this unbelievable defensive player. I am not buying it and I believe there D-line is suspect, especially in the middle. Talk about no depth.

Bottom line. This isn't the same D-line it was last year and it isn't even the same D-line it was in week 1.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Michael Bennett was just as good as Cameron Wake this year. He had fewer sacks but more overall pressures on the QB and he was much better agains the run (Bennett is actually one of the best DEs in the NFL against the run).

I've seen Bennett play well, but never seen him dominate like I've seen Wake. Wake is one of those guys who is very hard to control when he's at the top of his game.

Granted, I do not watch every Seahawks game. Bennett could be capable of it as well. If you or anyone has seen Bennett dominate, then I am wrong.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I've seen Bennett play well, but never seen him dominate like I've seen Wake. Wake is one of those guys who is very hard to control when he's at the top of his game.

Granted, I do not watch every Seahawks game. Bennett could be capable of it as well. If you or anyone has seen Bennett dominate, then I am wrong.

I saw Bennett dominate Sherrod who isn't even on our roster anymore so who cares. Bennett runs his mouth. The guy has more snaps then last year and no more production really.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw Bennett dominate Sherrod who isn't even on our roster anymore so who cares. Bennett runs his mouth. The guy has more snaps then last year and no more production really.

Most guys could dominate Sherrod. I know Bennett is a good player, but I don't think he has the ability to dominate a game like Wake did matched up against Bulaga.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Most guys could dominate Sherrod. I know Bennett is a good player, but I don't think he has the ability to dominate a game like Wake did matched up against Bulaga.

That's what I am saying. Unimpressive to dominate Sherrod as everyone did. Bennett is another "mouth runner", Wake is way better then Bennett.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I find it incomprehensible that people are actually arguing that Bennett is not a great defensive end. Is he the pass rusher that Wake is? No, but he's still a pretty good pass rusher. He is, however, a better run defender than Wake. In 2014 Bennett had 11 "stuffs" according to ESPN (tackles for loss not including sacks) and Wake had 1. Last year Bennett had 5 stuffs and Wake, again, had 1. PFF gave Bennett a rush defense grade of +15.5 this year and Wake got -1.9 (for reference Bennett's pass rush grade was +21.3 while Wake's was +36.3).

Is Wake a better player overall? Yeah but not by a bunch and, seeing that Wake is one of the best defensive ends in the NFL, that doesn't mean that Bennett is not also great. Calais Campbell isn't as good as JJ Watt, does that mean Campbell is suddenly a mediocre player?

But I guess I'm wrong and the Seahawks have managed to, for the first time ever, field the best defense in the NFL without having any high level players on the dline....

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I find it incomprehensible that people are actually arguing that Bennett is not a great defensive end. Is he the pass rusher that Wake is? No, but he's still a pretty good pass rusher. He is, however, a better run defender than Wake. In 2014 Bennett had 11 "stuffs" according to ESPN (tackles for loss not including sacks) and Wake had 1. Last year Bennett had 5 stuffs and Wake, again, had 1. PFF gave Bennett a rush defense grade of +15.5 this year and Wake got -1.9 (for reference Bennett's pass rush grade was +21.3 while Wake's was +36.3).

Is Wake a better player overall? Yeah but not by a bunch and, seeing that Wake is one of the best defensive ends in the NFL, that doesn't mean that Bennett is not also great. Calais Campbell isn't as good as JJ Watt, does that mean Campbell is suddenly a mediocre player?

I don't think anybody is questioning that Bennett is a good defensive end. What I am questioning is that with injuries and off-season departures the Seahawks once vaunted 7-8 man rotation up front is showing some cracks. I am sorry if you can't see that. Just because you have one really good defensive player up front doesn't mean your solid up front,

Bulaga can equalize Bennett. I think underestimating Bryan Bulaga is anything.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anybody is questioning that Bennett is a good defensive end. What I am questioning is that with injuries and off-season departures the Seahawks once vaunted 7-8 man rotation up front is showing major cracks. I am sorry if you can't see that. Just because you have one really good defensive player up front doesn't mean your solid up front,

Bulaga can equalize Bennett. I think underestimating Bryan Bulaga is anything.

Actually there were a number of people who seem to be questioning Bennett's skill level

That's what I am saying. Unimpressive to dominate Sherrod as everyone did. Bennett is another "mouth runner", Wake is way better then Bennett.

Also, Bennett doesn't just rush from one spot. They tend to move him around.

I'm not trying to argue that the Packers' oline is going to get dominated. I'm simply saying that if you expect the Seahawks dline to GET dominated then you'll probably be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts