Who can beat Seattle in Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky King

Reaction score
The Packers must fight their battles where they find them. Then take control. As fans we can choose to watch the game come what may, or we can watch a chick flick and bring along a box of tissues. As for me, I much prefer watching the game no matter where it is played and no matter how it turns out. It's not even close to life or death.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't win in SEA if you're okay on the road...and they're basically 1-1 in SEA? Have you watched any of their games?

They are basically 1-1 in Seattle...That's not arguable unless you're one of the crazies who think Tate caught that ball.

The Packers can run the ball against good defenses now, our defense is playing is good football, and we have Aaron Rodgers.

I think the Packers are good enough right now to win anywhere.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't win in SEA if you're okay on the road...and they're basically 1-1 in SEA? Have you watched any of their games?
Judging from your comments you my friend have not watched many Packer games. Every single game is it's own animal and regardless of past results one must look at the teams involved and what they bring to the table to determine whether or not a specific team has a decent chance of winning. The Pack has the MVP at QB, a bruising RB plus a quality #2 back, Pro Bowl wideouts and an OL that is gelling and playing with a lot of confidence. The D has steadily improved and finished the year near the top third in scoring D and have been among the best in the league in run defense since the Bears game. Also, the Packers finished the season with a league leading +14 TO margin and we all know how important TO's are come playoff time. Am I saying with certainty that the Pack will beat the Hawks if they match up? No but what I am saying is that if there is a team that can do it Green Bay would have to be considered by level headed observers as a favorite to do so. Seattle is playing some damn good ball right now but might I point out that the G and G is as well. That first game of the season the Packers played tentatively and it cost them. I have full confidence that if they meet again McCarthy will be more aggressive and do a better job trying to dictate the pace rather than playing into their hands. I think most of America is hoping for these two teams to meet up with a trip to Glendale at stake and I am one of those people. I am a big believer in attacking foes/problems/uncomfortable situations and I can't think of a better way of punching your Super Bowl ticket than a win on the road against the defending champs! Needless to say I disagree with your assertion and have full confidence that our boys (maybe not yours but I speak for the majority of posters here in saying our...) will rise to the occasion and take care of bidness.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are basically 1-1 in Seattle...That's not arguable unless you're one of the crazies who think Tate caught that ball.

The Packers can run the ball against good defenses now, our defense is playing is good football, and we have Aaron Rodgers.

Guess I should have read the pop up stating another comment had been made while I was composing mine. I basically wrote a long winded version of your more succinct thoughts... :)

desertdog55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anything is possible, but as optimistic as I usually am, I don't think the Packers match up well at all against Seattle. Seeing as our D doesn't do well against the type of QB that Wilson is, and that our receivers don't match up well against Seattle's DBs. It would almost have to be the "perfect storm" of us being on top of our game on offense AND defense, or Seattle mistakes. That is an extremely hostile place to play. Would we have a chance to win? Of course.....but I don't think I would bet money on us. I can hope though......:)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Furthermore, what happens in the regular season is not by any means what will happen in the playoffs. I've posted this before, but it fits perfectly here too.

2010: Our road record was a 3-5 and then we became the first NFC 6th seed ever to win three on the road to get to the Super Bowl. We are also a bad rushing team and then once the playoffs started we became a good one.

2011: Our offense was unstoppable, including vs. the same Giants team that would knock us out, and come playoff time, it was on offbeat turnover machine. We were also 8-0 at home in the regular season.

2012: We had a solid defense at number 11 overall, then the 49ers put up 45.

2013: Our defense was bad most of the year and then played a solid game while missing nearly every play maker we had.

My point is that once the playoffs begin, it doesn't matter what happened in the regular season. The last four playoff seasons have seen something much different from the Packers than the regular season, both good and bad. Things can change and do change quickly. The Packers can win in Seattle based on this alone.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t take a backseat to anyone in my packer-fanaticism but that does not mean I wear green&gold glasses and refuse to acknowledge the skill, talent, and success of opponents. The Packers D has significantly improved since the bye week. That is a fact backed up by statistical evidence. But while we Packers fans celebrate that improvement we would be foolish to ignore the fact that since they lost at Kansas City, the Seahawks’ D has surrendered 39 points in their last 6 games. That’s an average of 6.5 points per game. And that’s damn good. The Seahawks also lead the league in both points and yards surrendered. If the Packers go to Seattle for the NFC Championship game they’ll be the underdogs; and they will deserve to be.

But first things first. They have to win in two weeks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with everyone who is saying the Packers can win in Seattle, I would like our chances a whole lot better if we were home against Detroit, Arizona, or Carolina in the NFC Championship game. We do not match up well with Seattle, and I would imagine the Seahawks are more worried about the Cowboys than us. Our best chance of beating Seattle is by pounding the run like we did against Detroit yesterday, and by playing solid defense. Unfortunately, Wilson's legs always screw things up for us.

That being said, the reason I created this thread was to discuss who out of the three teams that can play Seattle in the Divisional Round(Arizona, Carolina and Detroit) has the best chance of beating Seattle in their own house. As nice as it would be to go to Seattle and win there to go to the Super Bowl, I think most of us can agree that it's more likely we beat one of those teams at home, compared to our chances of winning in Seattle. I think Detroit has the best shot, although it certainly is a long-shot.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anything is possible, but as optimistic as I usually am, I don't think the Packers match up well at all against Seattle. Seeing as our D doesn't do well against the type of QB that Wilson is, and that our receivers don't match up well against Seattle's DBs. It would almost have to be the "perfect storm" of us being on top of our game on offense AND defense, or Seattle mistakes. That is an extremely hostile place to play. Would we have a chance to win? Of course.....but I don't think I would bet money on us. I can hope though......:)

You are looking at it realistically as I do...the Packers just don't match up well against SEA...I'm not saying GB can't or won't win that game, I'm just saying the odds aren't in GB's favor...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That Fail Mary game isn't really relevant, that was two years ago. These teams are much different. Yes, the Packers are good enough to win anywhere. I like being optimistic but you also have to be realistic. The Packers lost by 20 in Seattle to start the season and the Seahawks are playing much better now than they were to start the season. Offsetting that somewhat is that Harvin is no longer there and he was a serious problem for the Packers in week 1.

So, yeah, the Packers are good enough to win anywhere. However, they're also quite capable of losing to saaayyyy, the Bills on the road. The Seahawks are A LOT better than the Bills. Point being that the Seahawks will and should be favored in a potential Packers-Seahawks game in Seattle.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That being said, the reason I created this thread was to discuss who out of the three teams that can play Seattle in the Divisional Round(Arizona, Carolina and Detroit) has the best chance of beating Seattle in their own house.
Arizona and their constant blitzing gives Seattle more to deal with and would have a decent chance (33%?) of beating Seattle. What they failed to do a few weeks ago was to keep contain on Wilson as they pressured up the middle. They had relentless middle pressure but Wilson took it outside and gave himself 4 or 5 seconds for a WR to break open. I'm hoping for another Seattle/AZ matchup and Dallas visiting Lambeau next weekend.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arizona and their constant blitzing gives Seattle more to deal with and would have a decent chance (33%?) of beating Seattle. What they failed to do a few weeks ago was to keep contain on Wilson as they pressured up the middle. They had relentless middle pressure but Wilson took it outside and gave himself 4 or 5 seconds for a WR to break open. I'm hoping for another Seattle/AZ matchup and Dallas visiting Lambeau next weekend.

I thought they did a decent job of containing Wilson in the first half, before completely collapsing in the second. If the Cardinals has even a mediocre QB, I would give them the best chance at winning as well, but Lindley will get eaten alive by Seattle, and I don't know how much better Stanton would be if he is back for the game. I think Arizona would have to have a lot of things bounce their way to win, such as a couple of turnovers, and maybe a big special teams play or two. The QB situation is why I think the Lions have the best chance, because Stafford at least can be good, sometimes. But, the defending champ hasn't won a playoff game in a decade, and maybe that curse will show up again, as it always does, unexpectedly.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Fail Mary game isn't really relevant, that was two years ago. These teams are much different. Yes, the Packers are good enough to win anywhere. I like being optimistic but you also have to be realistic. The Packers lost by 20 in Seattle to start the season and the Seahawks are playing much better now than they were to start the season. Offsetting that somewhat is that Harvin is no longer there and he was a serious problem for the Packers in week 1.

So, yeah, the Packers are good enough to win anywhere. However, they're also quite capable of losing to saaayyyy, the Bills on the road. The Seahawks are A LOT better than the Bills. Point being that the Seahawks will and should be favored in a potential Packers-Seahawks game in Seattle.
And neither is the first game of the season. This is a much better Packer team now, just starting to peak.

We can definitely beat the Seahawks in their house. It won't be easy, but we have the scariest offense in the NFL. Now that our defense is rolling, if wecan play solid and avoid stupid mistakes, Seattle will have their hands full.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bringing up the Fail Mary was in reference to the poster saying we have been terrible in Seattle as if we've lost their a few times in a row. Yes, the one game was bad, but it's not a pattern.

The Seahawks are playing much better now, but so are the Packers.

Week 1 is also a long time ago. I pointed out above how things changes in the postseason too. Another example is the 2012 Ravens losing by 17 at home to the Broncos, then winning at Denver in the playoffs, ending an 11 game win streak. The 2010 Jets are a great example too. They lost 45-3 at New England in the regular season and then won in playoffs.

I know the Seahawks will be favored, they would be favored against anyone at home right now.

Overall, my point is not that Packers will win or they should win, just that I see no reason to believe they cannot.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bringing up the Fail Mary was in reference to the poster saying we have been terrible in Seattle as if we've lost their a few times in a row. Yes, the one game was bad, but it's not a pattern.

The Seahawks are playing much better now, but so are the Packers.

Week 1 is also a long time ago. I pointed out above how things changes in the postseason too. Another example is the 2012 Ravens losing by 17 at home to the Broncos, then winning at Denver in the playoffs, ending an 11 game win streak. The 2010 Jets are a great example too. They lost 45-3 at New England in the regular season and then won in playoffs.

I know the Seahawks will be favored, they would be favored against anyone at home right now.

Overall, my point is not that Packers will win or they should win, just that I see no reason to believe they cannot.

I don't think GB cannot win in SEA, it just isn't likely...

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And neither is the first game of the season. This is a much better Packer team now, just starting to peak.

We can definitely beat the Seahawks in their house. It won't be easy, but we have the scariest offense in the NFL. Now that our defense is rolling, if wecan play solid and avoid stupid mistakes, Seattle will have their hands full.

It wasn't just the Seattle game to start the year, we were a legitimately bad football team until about 5 games in. We couldn't run the ball we couldn't stop the run and Aaron Rodgers was uncharacteristically scatter armed. Now our O-line has gelled into the best unit since the Sherman years, Eddie Lacy is running with authority again and Aaron Rodgers is playing smarter on a gimpy leg than he ever has. On Defense our unit has stiffened with Matthews and Barrington in the middle, even if Sam's sideline to sideline play is frightening. We're covering well playing the run with toughness and we've been getting after quarterbacks of late.

Seattle on the other hand, well their defense has been playing better of late but I don't see the same defense that we saw last year. How much of their recent production has been the result of awful passing attacks? At least five of their games came against backup quarterbacks, would their production have been the same if they played 4 tilts against Bradford and Palmer? Maybe, maybe not.

The Seahawks have an outstanding secondary with a very good corps of LBs. Their Defensive front lacks teeth against the pass, there will be time for our guys to uncover. Their scheme is vanilla so crowd noise won't affect our checks as much as it could. The keys to victory, establish the run and mix in the pass with a lot of PA. Trust the Defense and don't abandon the run. Force Chancellor to play up in the box which should mitigate the Sherman effect.

IMHO we have improved more than they have. For one, their offense looks somewhat pedestrian without Harvin.

Cwoodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to get to far ahead of myself, but inevitably, I am looking at possible scenarios now where we would not have to go to Seattle in a potential NFC Championship game matchup. I think, outside of ourselves, Dallas has the best chance to beat Seattle in Seattle. However, as the Cowboys are the #3 seed, they cannot match up against the Seahawks in the divisional round. Only the Panthers, Arizona, and Detroit can. The Cardinals have fallen so far, that I give them almost no shot at beating the Seahawks are home. Maybe the Panthers, as they are on a hot streak(they almost beat them earlier this year) but that seems to be a long shot. Thus I think Detroit has the best chance of pulling off the upset, although I think a few things would have to bounce their way. Thoughts?

Cwoodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to get to far ahead of myself, but inevitably, I am looking at possible scenarios now where we would not have to go to Seattle in a potential NFC Championship game matchup. I think, outside of ourselves, Dallas has the best chance to beat Seattle in Seattle. However, as the Cowboys are the #3 seed, they cannot match up against the Seahawks in the divisional round. Only the Panthers, Arizona, and Detroit can. The Cardinals have fallen so far, that I give them almost no shot at beating the Seahawks are home. Maybe the Panthers, as they are on a hot streak(they almost beat them earlier this year) but that seems to be a long shot. Thus I think Detroit has the best chance of pulling off the upset, although I think a few things would have to bounce their way. Thoughts?
I agree. Detroit has a defensive front that can get pressure rushing four and could slow Beast Mode without dropping a safety in to the box. I don't believe ARZ or CAR stand a chance.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the three potential opponents, I think the Panthers would have the best chance to beat Seattle. They've played in each of the last two regular seasons and the Panthers have held their offense in check and had a good chance to win both games. Carolina enters the playoffs on a four game win streak and could be that team that's getting hot at the right time. Their offensive line and the entire defense were a mess early in the season, but they've both been playing well lately. Jonathan Stewart, who was banged up early in the year, also appears to be healthy and running effectively. I think they match up well with the Seahawks and it wouldn't suprise me to see them go into Seattle and win.

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give the Packers a chance to win in every game... but Seattle will be easily favored if GB has to play there. GB defense may have improved statistically, but they have not also played a top running team since week #11 vs Philly.

Seattle and Dallas are #1 and 2 in rushing in NFL, those 2 teams will present a big challenge for Packers defense.

Packers may be 1-1 vs Seattle in last 2 games played there.... but the "Fail Mary" game was Wilson's 3rd career start. He has come quite a ways since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online