what would you trade for Richard Sherman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just keep falling back on the notion that if TT perceived a need for a player like Sherman (top CB), it would have cost him less to have gone the FA route and he would have done so. The only thing that changes that is if TT has just been biding his time to find a #1 CB and Sherman becomes that bargain he was looking for.

Yes, if the Pack was going to sign an upper level corner, then Stephon Gilmore would have been the guy. He would up with the Patriots, and we'll see how that works out.

Sky King

Reaction score
I definitely agree with you that Sherman would could be a worthwhile addition to the Packers, if he could be had for the #29 pick. However, given everything I have read, Seattle, at least right now, wouldn't settle for just a #29 pick for him, they are seeking a "High pick + a good player". I am also guessing Sherman will not be coming to GB, nor was he probably ever on TT's radar.
That's probably the key right there and it probably does frame the issue from a likely Thompson perspective quite well: This player's age combined with the cost to acquire him would truly make this a major (philosophical) deviation from Thompson's past personnel moves. Not to mention Sherman's alleged mercurial behavior would also make his fit in GB seem to be highly questionable simply on its own merit.

As Pete Daugherty astutely implied during his recent chat session, looking for the next Richard Sherman (through the draft) is probably the most likely Thompson scenario of all. It also fits the GM's history to a "TT."

D

Deleted member 6794

I am also guessing Sherman will not be coming to GB, nor was he probably ever on TT's radar.

I don't expect Sherman to end up with the Packers either but he should for sure be on Thompson's radar considering the lack of talent at cornerback. If TT hasn't even inquired about him the team should hire a general manager actually meeting the obligations coming with holding that position in the NFL.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm coming to the stark realization that many of us "were wrong" about there ever being a need at CB. :rolleyes:

How else do you explain letting Hyde walk and only signing House thus far? TT has a plan and all I can think is it must include one of our current CB's tearing off his jersey and revealing an "S". Oh wait.....Sherman starts with an "S" doesn't it? Then again so do a lot of words, you fill in the blank.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm coming to the stark realization that many of us "were wrong" about there ever being a need at CB. :rolleyes:

How else do you explain letting Hyde walk and only signing House thus far? TT has a plan and all I can think is it must include one of our current CB's tearing off his jersey and revealing an "S". Oh wait.....Sherman starts with an "S" doesn't it? Then again so do a lot of words, you fill in the blank.

For better or worse, TT gives his draft picks time to show who they are. Maybe many of their detractors will be correct and Randall and Rollins will utterly fail. Or maybe TT will be vindicated and they will prove that last year's regression was an injury issue. We shall see.

I do think part of the issue at cornerback was the available talent. The best guys were high risk and there weren't many good options.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

Oh I am almost 100% certain that Ted Thompson doesn't feel there is a need for an upgrade at CB.

And if that's the case, then we have a really big problem. He better hope that his current group of guys takes a huge leap forward this year. Because another 30 or 40+ point game given up by the defense in the postseason just might be the nail in the coffin for him.

Unless AR bails him out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do think part of the issue at cornerback was the available talent. The best guys were high risk and there weren't many good options.

Are you talking about the current group that Packers have at CB or the available FA's at CB? I fully agree that the statement applies to our current group of CB's during the 2016 season, as well as now. I might question whether there weren't "good" or at least better options available in the FA market.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
given everything I have read, Seattle, at least right now, wouldn't settle for just a #29 pick for him, they are seeking a "High pick + a good player".
So #29 and Richard Rodgers is out of the question...since they want a good player:whistling:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So #29 and Richard Rodgers is out of the question...since they want a good player:whistling:

I think so ;)

I was trying to think of a "good player" that the Packers could afford to part with, isn't burdened with an unfavorable contract and Seattle would want, the list is very short. Can pretty much rule out our entire defense and on offense it would probably be someone like Adams or Spriggs. If Spriggs was ready to start, maybe Bulaga.

I'm not even so sure pick #29 would be considered a "good" pick by Seattle. I would imagine they have their sights on an AFC team with a higher #1, if that is what it takes.

Packers would probably have to bargain for Sherman with their #1 this year and a decent pick in 2018. Or their #2 picks in the next 2 drafts. Let's just say, not only do I think that the Packers don't have nearly the stack of chips in front of them (that they are willing to part with) to get Sherman to Green Bay, TT is probably not even at the table.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you that Sherman would could be a worthwhile addition to the Packers, if he could be had for the #29 pick. However, given everything I have read, Seattle, at least right now, wouldn't settle for just a #29 pick for him, they are seeking a "High pick + a good player". I am also guessing Sherman will not be coming to GB, nor was he probably ever on TT's radar.
I think Seattle wants Adams..... or maybe they see that with Adams, we don't need Cobb nearly as much. I honestly think Cobb isn't worth the salary simply because he isn't good enough. He is plenty good. He just plays in GB... I hate drafting our wrs for that reason in fantasy football. A guy could go for 10 catches and 150 yds one week and get 1 for 7 yds the next. #12 has too many weapons to bank on just one...
But in Seattle... with their run game, and Wilson keeping defenses honest. Cobb would slice and dice teams. He would be Llike Percy Harvin was supposed to be...

Wasn't it Cobb who leveled Thomas and almost knocked him out of the game in the NFC championship game? I'm sure he made an impression...
Adams is a stud. And he will need to be paid like one pretty soon.

My thought was Cobb and Adams are the future. But with Jordy showing how extremely valuable he is to Rodgers. I think Jordy has to be resigned to a big enough deal to where we will need to pick between Cobb or Adams. And tt will draft another wr early this draft...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, if the Pack was going to sign an upper level corner, then Stephon Gilmore would have been the guy. He would up with the Patriots, and we'll see how that works out.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ted thinks Sherman is a woodson type of signing. A guy that single handed opens up the whole defensive playbook. Shut down. Great tackler. Smart enough to have freedom to blitz and break off coverages... it allows the whole defense to be more aggressive.

Where as Gilmore doesn't make me think that.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Yeah as really think that Sherman could help the defense. And give the defense what they need.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
TT likes his 2nd Rd. WR's...wouldn't shock me one bit if he picked one in the 2nd.

Given their importance to the offense and the fact that Cobb seems to have been robbed of athleticism by injury and Nelson is aging, I don't think it's out of the question that we see one get taken in the 2nd or 3rd.

I hardly think there's a chance he'll be there, but I like Zay Jones at #61. Chris Godwin would also be a good choice.

In the 3rd I like Chad Hansen, Josh Reynolds, and Amara Darboh.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think so ;)

I was trying to think of a "good player" that the Packers could afford to part with, isn't burdened with an unfavorable contract and Seattle would want, the list is very short. Can pretty much rule out our entire defense and on offense it would probably be someone like Adams or Spriggs. If Spriggs was ready to start, maybe Bulaga.

Spriggs is most likely the only player the Seahawks might be interested and the Packers could afford to lose as the team doesn't have a lot of decent backups on reasonable contracts. But even with him Seattle would have to take a gamble on him developing as expected.

I think Seattle wants Adams..... or maybe they see that with Adams, we don't need Cobb nearly as much. I honestly think Cobb isn't worth the salary simply because he isn't good enough. He is plenty good. He just plays in GB... I hate drafting our wrs for that reason in fantasy football. A guy could go for 10 catches and 150 yds one week and get 1 for 7 yds the next. #12 has too many weapons to bank on just one...
But in Seattle... with their run game, and Wilson keeping defenses honest. Cobb would slice and dice teams. He would be Llike Percy Harvin was supposed to be...

I don't believe the Seahawks are interested in trading for Cobb and paying him $19 million over the next two seasons. In addition that would force the Packers to add an adequate replacement to line up in the slot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ted thinks Sherman is a woodson type of signing. A guy that single handed opens up the whole defensive playbook. Shut down. Great tackler. Smart enough to have freedom to blitz and break off coverages... it allows the whole defense to be more aggressive.

While I agree with your take on Sherman the Packers would have to trade picks or players to acquire him while Thompson was able to sign Woodson in free agency.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Where as Gilmore doesn't make me think that.

When Woodson signed with Green Bay, he had no other offers on the table. Plus, Woodson was a free agent, and Ted didn't have to compensate anyone for him - In essence, Ted got C-Wood relatively cheap.

That wouldn't be the case with Sherman, so I don't see Ted making a move in that direction. I've been wrong before though, so who knows?

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Given their importance to the offense and the fact that Cobb seems to have been robbed of athleticism by injury and Nelson is aging, I don't think it's out of the question that we see one get taken in the 2nd or 3rd.

I hardly think there's a chance he'll be there, but I like Zay Jones at #61. Chris Godwin would also be a good choice.

In the 3rd I like Chad Hansen, Josh Reynolds, and Amara Darboh.

I'm a big fan of Godwin, Zay Jones (158 rec. last yr) has college production of a TT pick (Jordy 122, Adams 131) A few more I like, if they took a WR in the 3rd, Cooper Kupp (3 straight 100 rec. seasons 73 TD's last 4 yrs), Carlos Henderson(YAC and 19 TD's) and Taywan Taylor ( back to back 17 TD seasons)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Godwin, Zay Jones (158 rec. last yr) has college production of a TT pick (Jordy 122, Adams 131) A few more I like, if they took a WR in the 3rd, Cooper Kupp (3 straight 100 rec. seasons 73 TD's last 4 yrs), Carlos Henderson(YAC and 19 TD's) and Taywan Taylor ( back to back 17 TD seasons)

I like those three players as well.

Because TT has been in charge for so long as we have such a sizeable track record, I find it interesting to go back over his draft history and look at what types of players he seems to target. Since he took over, he's taken 9 receivers in the first four rounds. Here are some interesting tidbits.

7/9 were 6' or taller (Cobb 5'10; Jennings 5'11")
8/9 ran a 4.56 or faster in the forty (Cory Rodgers, 4th round in '06 ran a 4.58)
8/9 had a three cone of 7.08 or faster (Cory Rodgers with 7.37)
9/9 had a short shuttle of 4.35 or faster

If (and just take this for what it's worth) these numbers actually meant something, they would rule out Kupp (4.62 forty) and Carlos Henderson (5'11", 7.18 3C, 4.35 SS), and place Taywan Taylor (5'11") on the bubble.

Personally, I think they should consider all of those guys (especially Taylor). But I am intrigued to see if TT abides by these perceived minimums.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've seen a few mocks where WR's Corey Davis and even John Ross are still on the board at #29. Do the Packers draft one of them if they are there? Everything I have read about both and have seen on film I love. But do you pass up defensive needs? Same kind of goes for McCaffery or Cook if they are still there when the Packers are on the clock.

Depending on how many QB's and OL are taken prior to the Packers pick, I expect at least one big name, originally a top 15-20 guy will fall to and be very tempting for the Packers to consider. There may even be a chance Red**** is there.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I've seen a few mocks where WR's Corey Davis and even John Ross are still on the board at #29. Do the Packers draft one of them if they are there? Everything I have read about both and have seen on film I love. But do you pass up defensive needs? Same kind of goes for McCaffery or Cook if they are still there when the Packers are on the clock.

Depending on how many QB's and OL are taken prior to the Packers pick, I expect at least one big name, originally a top 15-20 guy will fall to and be very tempting for the Packers to consider. There may even be a chance Red**** is there.
Corey Davis is one guy that the discussion has to be there, I view him as a #1 receiver (Jordy's replacement), he reminds me of Sterling Sharpe...I view Adams as a #2 receiver, not a #1.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I would be all over Davis if he fell to #29. I think he's a top 10 talent in this class. But I really can't see it happening. I think his inability to work out has hurt his "stock" in media because there just hasn't been any news around him. But I doubt he would ever slide that far in reality.

I would likewise be all over McCaffrey. Recent report on him is that he's turning down private workouts with teams that pick later because a team in the teens has given him a hard guarantee to take him if he's there. Who knows whether or not to believe that, but I do view him as a lock to be gone by our pick.

Ross would be the hardest call because so much depends on the medicals. If he makes it to #29, I'm assuming it's because he didn't check up well in that regard. So I don't have a clue what to say on him.

Hard pass on Dalvin Cook. He's a bad athlete, he has off-field baggage, he's had multiple shoulder surgeries, and he has one of the worst fumbling problems in this class. I wouldn't touch him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be all over Davis if he fell to #29. I think he's a top 10 talent in this class. But I really can't see it happening. I think his inability to work out has hurt his "stock" in media because there just hasn't been any news around him. But I doubt he would ever slide that far in reality.

I would likewise be all over McCaffrey. Recent report on him is that he's turning down private workouts with teams that pick later because a team in the teens has given him a hard guarantee to take him if he's there. Who knows whether or not to believe that, but I do view him as a lock to be gone by our pick.

Ross would be the hardest call because so much depends on the medicals. If he makes it to #29, I'm assuming it's because he didn't check up well in that regard. So I don't have a clue what to say on him.

Hard pass on Dalvin Cook. He's a bad athlete, he has off-field baggage, he's had multiple shoulder surgeries, and he has one of the worst fumbling problems in this class. I wouldn't touch him.
I'd be all in on Corey Davis as well. I think Rodgers would enjoy having him to throw to on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.