What would you give up for Revis?

H

HardRightEdge

Reevis is good but a 28 year old...better yet a 33 yr old Charles Woodson would school him. Reevis has never been known for making a big game changing play or taking the ball away. Yes he can cover the other teams #1 wr but i prefer take aways or causing takeaways for the price he's asking.

I'm clearly not stumping for Revis, but to be fair the reason he doesn't make a lot of big plays is that teams don't throw at him. In the 2011 season, for example, his target count was astoundingly low...something like 30. It's the same reason Asomugha's pick counts were so low when he played almost exclusively man D in Oakland.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really think that holding up an anomaly is a persuasive argument?

More often than not, serious knee injuries take the zip/bounce/speed out of athletes. It is a really hard road back to elite form, which is what you are expecting out of a Revis-type of player. What AP did this season was amazing - which is why he'll win come-back player of the year and maybe the MVP. It was extraordinary, not the ordinary.

I wouldn't bet on a player recovering successfully from such injuries. I bet against it.

You made the blanket statement, not me. I just proved its not something you can say with certainty :)

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
In order to recover from such an injury the way adrian peterson did and have the level of success that he did in such close time proximity to the injury is amazing. Not many can recover fully and quickly from such a thing. A lot of the time that is either a career ender, or the start of a career decline. The work ethic of AP and his youth and his freakish physical condition helped him out. Revis strikes me as someone not of the same caliber, so I am willing to bet he wont be the same type of shut down guy he was.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, let's go the Philly Eagles route, that seems to be the blueprint for success these days. Asomugha has been a godsend for them.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Revis. Our corners are fine. Those who think Tramon played like a UDFA this year are forgetting some good games against premiere WR's, Marshall, Johnson, etc. He can't tackle worth a damn, the coverage is not the problem.

Shields, Hayward, and House all have tremendous upside and Shields is already a good starting corner.

Improve that interior pass rush and tackling and the coverage (which was #11 in the NFL, not the problem) will look a lot better.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points adambr2.

The article below also provides some good analysis of the Revis conversation: (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-Revis-roller-coaster-continues.html)
Will All Pro cornerback return to New York in 2013? Joel Corry
According to CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason LaConfora, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is interested in trading Darrelle Revis because he isn’t confident in signing the star cornerback to a contract extension. At the press conference to introduce John Idzik as general manager, Johnson said he didn’t know where that information came from but didn’t deny the report. Regardless, Idzik is inheriting a salary cap mess. The Jets are currently $22.95 million over the expected $121 million 2013 cap while having nine starters headed towards free agency.

Revis, who tore the anterior crucriate ligament in his left knee against the Miami Dolphins during the third game of the season, held out for 36 days in 2010 before signing a seven-year contract extension which voids to four years. His renegotiated contract is considered as a four-year, $46 million deal since the last three years (2014-2016) void provided that he hasn’t withheld his services during those first four contract years and he is on New York’s roster one day after the 2013 season’s Super Bowl. Revis will become an unrestricted free agent at that time because his contract contains a clause that prohibits a franchise tag from being used on him.
Revis is scheduled to make $6 million in 2013. In addition to his $3 million base salary, Revis has a $1 million fifth day of the league year (March 16th) roster bonus, a $1 million training camp reporting bonus and a $1 million offseason workout bonus. His 2013 salary cap number is $9 million.

The franchise tag prohibition gives Revis quite a bit of leverage. He stated at the end of the regular season that he would like to retire with the Jets. If Revis is angered by the trade rumors, he effectively has a no-trade clause. He can dissuade teams from trading for him by announcing that he isn’t interested in discussing a new contract with anybody because he plans on testing the free agent market after the 2013 season.

Assuming Revis won’t take that stance, the March 16 payment date of his roster bonus creates a sense of urgency. Revis and the Jets could agree to push back the roster bonus date in order to create more time to work out a trade. Such a contract maneuver isn’t commonplace, but Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers moved the payment date of his $3 million roster bonus four times in 2006 while he was contemplating retirement.

Trading Revis prior to June 2 will have negative cap consequences for the Jets. Revis’ 2013 cap charge will increase from $9 million to $12 million because of $9 million in option bonus proration accelerating into the cap from the 2014-2016 voidable years of his contract.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Is Darrelle Revis headed for a new city?
The Jets could probably get a first-round pick, at a minimum, for Revis if he were healthy. There is no guarantee that Revis will make the same type of remarkable recovery as Adrian Peterson, who narrowly missed breaking Eric ****erson’s single season rushing record. At the other end of the spectrum is Terrell Thomas. The New York Giants cornerback tore his right ACL in the 2011 preseason. He tore it again in training camp this year. Since Revis’ recovery is an unknown variable, his knee injury should depress his trade value.

DeAngelo Hall was acquired by the Oakland Raiders from the Atlanta Falcons in 2008 for a 2008 second-round pick and a 2009 fifth-round pick. This trade could be an indication of the type of compensation the Jets will get for an injured Revis, except there could be conditions to increase the trade compensation depending on how much or how well he plays next season.
Any team interested in trading for Revis will want to sign the cornerback to a new contract especially since they can’t franchise him. It was expected that he would demand a contract similar to Mario Williams’ deal with the Buffalo Bills. Williams became the highest paid defensive player in NFL history with the six-year, $96 million contract ($50 million in guarantees, $53 million in the first three years and an additional $4 million in not likely to be earned incentives) he signed as a free agent last March. Given that Revis has taken a hardline approach with the Jets in nearly every instance, his salary expectations probably haven’t changed because of the injury.

Most teams will be reluctant to pay Revis at the top of the defensive market without knowing whether he is still a shutdown cornerback. Even without the ACL injury, Revis’ contract situation was going to be challenging because the top of the cornerback market has been fairly stagnant over the last couple of years. Nnamdi Asomugha couldn’t reach the average yearly salary of his previous contract with the Raiders (two years averaging $14.296 million per year) when he signed a five-year, $60 million contract ($25 million fully guaranteed, $36 million in the first three years) with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2011. No one else has been able to eclipse Revis’ current deal. Consequently, there may not be a huge trade market for him.

An extension for Revis could be structured similar to the five-year, $90 million contract Peyton Manning signed with the Indianapolis Colts in 2011. Manning’s deal became a one-year $23.4 million deal because he didn’t recover from his neck injury before the Colts had to pay him a $28 million option bonus (by the fourth day before the end of the 2011 league year) that triggered the remaining four years of his contract. In Revis’ case, his 2013 compensation would stay the same with the option bonus payable before his contract voided. The bonus payment would eliminate the voiding mechanism, adjusting the $3 million salary in each of the voidable years while adding one or two new contract years. If the payment wasn’t made, the voiding mechanism would remain intact where Revis would be no worse off than if he was under his current contract because he would still become a free agent after the 2013 season.

The Jets can probably get the best value for Revis by waiting until the preseason to trade him after he demonstrates that he has recovered from his knee injury. This type of patience would require the Jets to pay Revis the $3 million in bonuses due before training camp started but would create room under the 2013 cap. His cap charge would drop from $9 million to $6 million. There would be a $9 million cap charge for him in 2014 because of the proration from those voidable years. After seeing Revis perform in game conditions, a team might feel more comfortable meeting his pre-injury salary expectations.
However, the Jets may not be willing to endure an entire offseason where Revis’ situation is a potential distraction.

Joel Corry is a former sports agent who helped found Premier Sports & Entertainment, a sports management firm that represents professional athletes and coaches. Prior to his tenure at Premier, Joel worked for Management Plus Enterprises, which represented Shaquille O'Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon and Ronnie Lott. You can email Joel at [email protected]

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Just give it up. It's not worth it, and it's not happening. Let somebody else pay for a clown from the Jests Circus.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ that is absolutely amazing......a 1 million $$ bonus for reporting to training camp. lol Gimmie a fu*king break. That right there says a lot about who he is and who the organization thinks he is......No thanks, the guy is a Grade A, first class TOOL.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ that is absolutely amazing......a 1 million $$ bonus for reporting to training camp. lol Gimmie a fu*king break. That right there says a lot about who he is and who the organization thinks he is......No thanks, the guy is a Grade A, first class TOOL.

Its just a way to spread out money in the contract as far as bonuses and total money goes. Dont take it personally. Its actually not uncommon.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, let's go the Philly Eagles route, that seems to be the blueprint for success these days. Asomugha has been a godsend for them.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Revis. Our corners are fine. Those who think Tramon played like a UDFA this year are forgetting some good games against premiere WR's, Marshall, Johnson, etc. He can't tackle worth a damn, the coverage is not the problem.

Shields, Hayward, and House all have tremendous upside and Shields is already a good starting corner.

Improve that interior pass rush and tackling and the coverage (which was #11 in the NFL, not the problem) will look a lot better.

Im sick of Megatron getting 160 yards and calling it a success for Tramon Williams.

As far as your comparison to Nnamdi, you couldnt be more off. Nnamdi never played zone and couldnt handle it. Revis has played and does play both. With success. Think Champ Bailey trade.

Revis is one of the best corners of all time. Deion like in coverage.

Is Ted going to trade for him? 95% chance No.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Im sick of Megatron getting 160 yards and calling it a success for Tramon Williams.

As far as your comparison to Nnamdi, you couldnt be more off. Nnamdi never played zone and couldnt handle it. Revis has played and does play both. With success. Think Champ Bailey trade.

Think Torrey Smith abused Bailey.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think Torrey Smith abused Bailey.

For your sake I hope that was a joke. That your argument of the bailey trade is that he got beat in a playoff game once. You ignore the 5 all pro years he has had in Denver because of one game? SMH.

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reevis is good but a 28 year old...better yet a 33 yr old Charles Woodson would school him. Reevis has never been known for making a big game changing play or taking the ball away. Yes he can cover the other teams #1 wr but i prefer take aways or causing takeaways for the price he's asking.

Well he does have a 100 yd INT return on his resume... and i would say he doesn't get as many picks as others because the ball doesn't come his way very often. And how well did all those INTs work out for us in 2011?

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really confused as to why they think Tramon had a bad year, I was apparently not watching the same games. Coverage was MUCH improved over last year overall, but Tramon was better too.

As for your question... Idk what I would give up but I would love to have Revis. I'm not fond of giving up 1st round picks for anyone (other than a great QB maybe), so I would say... Finley and someone else.

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He held out in 2010 and then threatened to do so again last season, just two years after hitting his big payday. Not much of a Revis fan. All about him. Trademarked "Revis Island". A diva receiver wearing a cornerback number...

Maybe I should remind everyone that Charles Woodson was considered a headache, had missed the majority of the 2005 season with the Raider, and didn't even want to come to Green Bay...

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hold the line at a first rounder, maybe even a little higher.

Approach NYJ and say, we will take Revis but you have to also give us a 1st and a 3rd, but just settle for taking Revis and a 1st. And I'm only doing that thinking that Revis won't downgrade our defense more than the 1st round pick will upgrade it. After all, Revis' negative impact can be reduced by just putting him on the bench/and or inactive list.

Lol yeah, I'm sure TT would love to spend that kind of money on someone sitting on the bench... I don't think he's as bad as y'all think, he's no Randy Moss and plenty of people were begging to have him...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fine. How about 2 catches for Marshall in the first game?

And you completely missed the point on Nnamdi. It's not his zone coverage abilities vs. Revis. It's the point that going the FA route like that, for an extremely high priced one and potentially tying up 1/6th of your payroll in that shutdown corner, is not going to pay off in the long run, especially when you open up a lot of holes elsewhere.

We can barely afford to keep most of the guys we have. There are extensions needed for Rodgers and Matthews. We are not acquiring an extremely pricey veteran such as Revis, and giving up a high draft pick to do it to boot.

And cornerback is not even a position of need. If we're going to go back to the Mike Sherman GM aftermath days of salary cap hell, I'd at least like to do it for an impact player at a position we sorely need.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And cornerback is not even a position of need. If we're going to go back to the Mike Sherman GM aftermath days of salary cap hell, I'd at least like to do it for an impact player at a position we sorely need.

with the way the defence has played the last 2 years, any help would be good even at a position we don't really need. Just because we have a lot of guys with potential doesn't mean you shouldn't pass on a guy like revis, at a decent price that is. I think a first rounder would be worth a look but if they could get him for a 2nd I think you take that chance even if it doesn't work out because the upside is too good to pass up.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine. How about 2 catches for Marshall in the first game?

And you completely missed the point on Nnamdi. It's not his zone coverage abilities vs. Revis. It's the point that going the FA route like that, for an extremely high priced one and potentially tying up 1/6th of your payroll in that shutdown corner, is not going to pay off in the long run, especially when you open up a lot of holes elsewhere.

We can barely afford to keep most of the guys we have. There are extensions needed for Rodgers and Matthews. We are not acquiring an extremely pricey veteran such as Revis, and giving up a high draft pick to do it to boot.

1. Revis isn't a FA.
2. Nnamdi didn't work for the eagles bc he cost too much.
3. Yes tramon had 1 good game against marshal.
4. Shouldn't tie up money in a shut down corner? Where is the rest of the division tying up their money? Oh in high prices WRs

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't implying that Revis was a FA, it's the same point, we take on a huge contract for a player that wasn't developed from within our system, and it's actually worse than a FA because we have to give something up.

No we shouldn't tie up money in a shut down corner. We should develop our own that we can actually afford. Acquiring Revis is completely against our approach and philosophy. There is not a 5% chance of this happening, there is a Lloyd Christmas and Mary Swanson chance of this happening.

And again....for those who want Revis so badly, please, I've yet to hear an explanation of how we are going to pay him. Just him being worth a 1st or 2nd rounder isn't enough, we still have to actually PAY HIM. Rodgers and Matthews are pretty much due extensions THIS offseason. We build through the draft, we aren't even going to be able to afford to keep Jennings. Shields is an RFA, and Jones, Nelson, and Cobb all have 2 years or less on their deals. Where is this magical pile of salary cap space/money to pay Revis coming from?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't implying that Revis was a FA, it's the same point, we take on a huge contract for a player that wasn't developed from within our system, and it's actually worse than a FA because we have to give something up.

No we shouldn't tie up money in a shut down corner. We should develop our own that we can actually afford. Acquiring Revis is completely against our approach and philosophy. There is not a 5% chance of this happening, there is a Lloyd Christmas and Mary Swanson chance of this happening.

And again....for those who want Revis so badly, please, I've yet to hear an explanation of how we are going to pay him. Just him being worth a 1st or 2nd rounder isn't enough, we still have to actually PAY HIM. Rodgers and Matthews are pretty much due extensions THIS offseason. We build through the draft, we aren't even going to be able to afford to keep Jennings. Shields is an RFA, and Jones, Nelson, and Cobb all have 2 years or less on their deals. Where is this magical pile of salary cap space/money to pay Revis coming from?

You know who else was against our philosophy? Charles Woodson and Reggie White. Im not saying make a habit of it but when a top 10 player is available you gotta take a close look at it.

Fair point on how to pay him. You are talking an extension for a player who will command big money. solution? Give Rodgers a 10 yr contract and Matthews a 7 yr contract. Space out the bonus that way and lower the overall cap hit from those two players. I personally feel confident in investing in our long term future with each of those players. Thats not something I would do with any other player on the roster.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets is expecting a 1st and 2nd rounder, wouldn't even think of giving that up, rather select a CB in round 1 (Xavier Rhodes could be there), and for the 2nd round pick a ILB or D-line man.

And try to go after Jarius Byrd, maybe the best safety in the league, he's a FA and wants to leave the Bills.
Byrd may not come cheap, but he probably won't demand the kind of money Revis does, and when Revis hit's the FA market in 2014, there won't be any GB discount.
I personally wouldn't take a risk on a player, (even tho he may be the best at he's position) coming of that kind of injury and one year left on he's contract, so many factors are speaking against it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know who else was against our philosophy? Charles Woodson and Reggie White. Im not saying make a habit of it but when a top 10 player is available you gotta take a close look at it.

Fair point on how to pay him. You are talking an extension for a player who will command big money. solution? Give Rodgers a 10 yr contract and Matthews a 7 yr contract. Space out the bonus that way and lower the overall cap hit from those two players. I personally feel confident in investing in our long term future with each of those players. Thats not something I would do with any other player on the roster.
Disagree on White and Woodson comparison. They were both considered elite players AND high character. Makes a huge difference.

I go by this statement: In iteself, the signing Revis will effectively decrease the ranking of the Packer defense.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree on White and Woodson comparison. They were both considered elite players AND high character. Makes a huge difference.

I go by this statement: In iteself, the signing Revis will effectively decrease the ranking of the Packer defense.

Woodson was high character? Are we talking about the same player?

You know Woodson and McCarthy didnt get along very well early on and Woodson was one of the most team fined players on the team right?

I won't mention his Oakland days. But he has grown and matured during his time in GB. But to say he was high character is just not accurate

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another point is that shutting down a team's #1 WR is worthless if you don't take care of the other ways they can beat you and address those needs first. So we can shut down Marshall and Johnson, thats great. How does that help us when we face the 49ers again in the playoffs? Big picture, it doesn't. Matching up well against the teams in your division is one thing, getting to the Super Bowl is another.

Neither the 49ers or the Ravens are in the Super Bowl because of their #1 wide receiver and Revis wouldn't have made an ounce of difference for us 2 weeks ago against the 49ers.

Members online

Latest posts