What would you give up for Revis?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nson-wants-to-explore-a-darrelle-revis-trade/

Imagine putting Calvin Johnson, Percy Harvin, and Brandon Marshall on an island twice a year.

Now if you are a GM are you interested? If so what are you offering?

I assume some posters are going to be negative bc Revis renegotiated his contract and held out of camp, but to me a player renegotiating and a team asking a player to take a pay cut are not much different.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not much. We don't have corner coverage problems. And we have a fair amount of youth at corner. Would he make us better? Probably. But for how long (he is getting older) and for how much?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not much. We don't have corner coverage problems. And we have a fair amount of youth at corner. Would he make us better? Probably. But for how long (he is getting older) and for how much?

He is a decade younger than Charles Woodson I believe.

I think we disagree on the coverage problem.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Coming off a knee injury, I'm not sure.

If he's 100%, and we're talking right now, I'd maybe give up a first round pick. Maybe more.

We'd essentially be getting a teams best receiver shut down for the game and in some cases, a whole half of the field shut down. We could afford to be average in pressuring the QB with that kind of coverage.

lol @ us not having coverage problems. Our two starting corners are UDFA's and Tramon has certainly been playing like one these last two seasons

Gopackgo520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't have a coverage problem??? I'm sorry, was I the only one that watched Tramon Williams this year???

As for what you'd give up, I'm assuming the asking price price would be somewhere in the ballpark of 2 first round picks which would be a little steep for my taste...

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
What if we were to tag and trade Jennings and a pick to the Jets for Revis? Would that be possible?

Jets need a receiver, we need a corner + throw in pick or two.....profit???

Reaction score
Coverage isn't our problem... It seems to be the opposite. The coaches have been outgoing when it came to expressing how happy Shields and Hayward have been playing behind Williams. It won't be long before they are the starting duo for the next decade!

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon during the 2010 season was quietly becoming one of the best corners in the game. but last year with his injury problems regressed and hasn't stop regressing this year too. He has looked bad.

I would love to have Revis on this team. A corner like that doesn't come around too often, now with that being said, it will be interesting to see how he recovers from his injury and see if he can play up to the level he has the last few years. Even at this point the asking price would be too steep. and in the end not really worth it.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if we were to tag and trade Jennings and a pick to the Jets for Revis? Would that be possible?

Jets need a receiver, we need a corner + throw in pick or two.....profit???

You would be hinging the entire thing on Jennings. If he doesnt feel the Jets are going to give him the most money then the deal falls apart. If the Jets have to give him the most money of any team, whats in it for them to trade for him?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a decade younger than Charles Woodson I believe.

I think we disagree on the coverage problem.

Revis is (will be?) 28 coming off an ACL injury. I'm hesitant. Plus he'll want a giant contract in 2014. His value is limited.

Regarding coverage, I'm much more concerned with the second safety. Hayward graded out very well and did Shields. Tramon had some bad games, but he had some good ones. House is waiting in the wings. Woodson is old and slow, time to say goodbye.

The problem I see with replacing most players on the roster is that there is someone better than 51 of them somewhere in the NFL--Matthews and Rodgers being the two I'd keep above anyone else. Replace the bottom 1/3 or so each year, looking for more great players. If you keep replacing starters that are "good enough to win" with great players while ignoring legitimate flaws (ILB, for example) you won't be better over all as a team.

How much better do we really get by swapping a solid starter (Tramon) for a (likely) Great Player? If he was 'free,' I'd be more interested, but the money he'd command is probably spent elsewhere. Is he good enough to lose 3 solid starters? 4? Between drafts picks and cap hit, we'd lose at least that many.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ I agree 100%.

Not only would he want more money than we currently pay any one player on our team, he is bad voodoo for the team. The guy is coming off a serious knee injury, yet another reason.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He held out in 2010 and then threatened to do so again last season, just two years after hitting his big payday. Not much of a Revis fan. All about him. Trademarked "Revis Island". A diva receiver wearing a cornerback number...

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't give half a piece of used toilet paper. DO NOT WANT.

Well I would WANT Revis on my team, hell is a shut-down corner. But taking into consideration his problems with contract negotiations, age, and knee surgery... And I dont think he would be worth what he would command.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No thanks. We don't have issues at corner we just have issues with who should be starting at corner. With the way Shields played he deserves to keep his spot but i can't say the same about Tramon Williams. He could easily be replaced by Hayward, and i don't think to many people would argue with that move at all as it would probably be an upgrade or no drop off at all. We could probably look to package Williams with our pick to move up in then draft...draft another corner in the early rounds of the draft? who will be younger and CHEAPER. We really need help at OLB so trading partners would be teams like Miami (Cameron Wake). 1st round pick Dion Jordan from Oregon OLB/DE and maybe take another corner in the second.

Hayward
Shields
House
Rookie??
Bush
Woodson in the mix at the slot

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I would WANT Revis on my team, hell is a shut-down corner. But taking into consideration his problems with contract negotiations, age, and knee surgery... And I dont think he would be worth what he would command.
FIFY:
Well I would WANT Revis on my team, he at one time was a shut-down

My value would be some where around a warm bucket of **** and nothing. Asoumagah was thought of being a shutdown corner. The Philly game I saw this year he was an average starter at best. Revis is an attitude problem and I think the Packer defense would suffer if he was added to the team.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Revis is (will be?) 28 coming off an ACL injury. I'm hesitant. Plus he'll want a giant contract in 2014. His value is limited.
Concise and on target here. The only other thing that I would add as a negative is his attitude.

He certainly had lots of upside as a CB before the injury, but still was nothing like Woodson. He's just a pure CB with little else that he brings to the defense besides taking out the #1 WR. If he can't do that effectively post-knee injury then he's pretty well useless. Especially for the money he wants.

If I'm buying horses, I don't buy one that should have been put down and sent to the glue factory no matter what its record prior to injury. You don't pay top-dollar for refurbished goods.

As for the specific question, I wouldn't go higher than a 2nd round pick even with a guaranteed contract renegotiation. I'd rather be wrong by not getting him than be wrong and pay his bill.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He certainly had lots of upside as a CB before the injury, but still was nothing like Woodson. He's just a pure CB with little else that he brings to the defense besides taking out the #1 WR. If he can't do that effectively post-knee injury then he's pretty well useless. Especially for the money he wants.

If I'm buying horses, I don't buy one that should have been put down and sent to the glue factory no matter what its record prior to injury. You don't pay top-dollar for refurbished goods.

So adrian Peterson is a horse that should have been sent to the glue factory before this season?

His contract is reasonable at this point. He will be due a new contract soon though as his current deal is expiring.

If he can do what he did before he offers something no other player in the league offers.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reevis is good but a 28 year old...better yet a 33 yr old Charles Woodson would school him. Reevis has never been known for making a big game changing play or taking the ball away. Yes he can cover the other teams #1 wr but i prefer take aways or causing takeaways for the price he's asking.

H

HardRightEdge

CB is a young, quality unit as it stands, if not quite as physical as one might like. Revis would be an upgrade for just about any team (assuming he gets back to 100%), but is this really the best way to spend cap money? I think not.

I'd rather see us upgrade the S or DE positions. Goldson, for example, would be a better net add than Revis, and wouldn't cost as much. I don't know if the 49's plan is to franchise him again, but they've got a lot of guys, particularly on defense, who are going to be cap busters in the next few years so they might reckon now is the time to let him go.

I'd say OLB is greater need as well, but I think we'll be stuck with Perry for a while. ILB is not exactly free of question marks either...we need a guy who can cover to complement Bishop's physicality/blitz ability...and if Bishop does not make a full recovery, the situation there is more acute.

Or LT for that matter, pending news on Sherrod's progress, about which I'm not terribly optimistic. Or TE if Finley is gone.

We've got a lot of guys in the starting lineup who are either just kinda sorta OK or situational or inconsistent, especially if all of the rumored departures come to pass.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the specific question, I wouldn't go higher than a 2nd round pick even with a guaranteed contract renegotiation. I'd rather be wrong by not getting him than be wrong and pay his bill.
I would hold the line at a first rounder, maybe even a little higher.

Approach NYJ and say, we will take Revis but you have to also give us a 1st and a 3rd, but just settle for taking Revis and a 1st. And I'm only doing that thinking that Revis won't downgrade our defense more than the 1st round pick will upgrade it. After all, Revis' negative impact can be reduced by just putting him on the bench/and or inactive list.

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No thanks. We don't have issues at corner we just have issues with who should be starting at corner. With the way Shields played he deserves to keep his spot but i can't say the same about Tramon Williams. He could easily be replaced by Hayward, and i don't think to many people would argue with that move at all as it would probably be an upgrade or no drop off at all. We could probably look to package Williams with our pick to move up in then draft...draft another corner in the early rounds of the draft? who will be younger and CHEAPER. We really need help at OLB so trading partners would be teams like Miami (Cameron Wake). 1st round pick Dion Jordan from Oregon OLB/DE and maybe take another corner in the second.

Hayward
Shields
House
Rookie??
Bush
Woodson in the mix at the slot

Yeah, I don't think Shields/Hayward can lock down Megatron or Brandon Marshalls like Revis. Just saying.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So adrian Peterson is a horse that should have been sent to the glue factory before this season?
You really think that holding up an anomaly is a persuasive argument?

More often than not, serious knee injuries take the zip/bounce/speed out of athletes. It is a really hard road back to elite form, which is what you are expecting out of a Revis-type of player. What AP did this season was amazing - which is why he'll win come-back player of the year and maybe the MVP. It was extraordinary, not the ordinary.

I wouldn't bet on a player recovering successfully from such injuries. I bet against it.

Members online

Latest posts