What players would make you feel like Green Bay had a good draft?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT can get one of these players from each of these position groups Id be happy. listed in order I favor with round the packers would likely have to take them.

Running Back
1. Joe Mixon (1)
2. Marlon Mack (3)
3. Joe Williams (6)

Wide receiver
1. Josh Malone (3)
2. John Ross (1)
3. Chris Godwin (2)

Cornerback
1. Chidobe Awuzie (1)
2. Cameron Sutton (3)
3. Kevin King (1)
4. Sidney Jones (2)
5. Shaq Griffen (4)

Olb
1. Jordan Willis (1)
2. TJ Watt (1)
3. Trey Hendrickson (2)
4. Derrick Rivers (3)
5. Tyus Bowser (1)

LB
1. Jordan Evans (5)
2. Elijah Lee (5)
3. Rueben Foster (1)
4. Alex Anzalone (4)
5. Jalen Reeves Maybin (6)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If TT can get one of these players from each of these position groups Id be happy. listed in order I favor with round the packers would likely have to take them.

Running Back
1. Joe Mixon (1)
2. Marlon Mack (3)
3. Joe Williams (6)

Wide receiver
1. Josh Malone (3)
2. John Ross (1)
3. Chris Godwin (2)

Cornerback
1. Chidobe Awuzie (1)
2. Cameron Sutton (3)
3. Kevin King (1)
4. Sidney Jones (2)
5. Shaq Griffen (4)

Olb
1. Jordan Willis (1)
2. TJ Watt (1)
3. Trey Hendrickson (2)
4. Derrick Rivers (2)
5. Tyus Bowser (1)

LB
1. Jordan Evans (5)
2. Elijah Lee (5)
3. Rueben Foster (1)
4. Alex Anzalone (4)
5. J alen Reeves Maybin (6)

Two things that jump out to me: I'm worried about drafting John Ross as he seems to be injury prone and doesn't possess a frame to absorb the punishment at the pro level. In addition I would be extremely disappointed about selecting Tyus Bowser in the first round.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah the bowser one is the one that I just threw in to get to 5 edge rushers and John Ross 2nd in that category because yeah there have a been a lot of small fast guys and basically 0 pan out. he just seems like he'd be a great replacement for Cobb in slot. Ross is 5-11 188 coming out and Cobb was 5-10 191 so they're essentially the same size.

D

Deleted member 6794

yeah the bowser one is the one that I just threw in to get to 5 edge rushers and John Ross 2nd in that category because yeah there have a been a lot of small fast guys and basically 0 pan out. he just seems like he'd be a great replacement for Cobb in slot. Ross is 5-11 188 coming out and Cobb was 5-10 191 so they're essentially the same size.

While that's true Ross has already suffered several major injuries coming out of college according to sources resulting in several teams having taken him completely off their board.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ross won't hold up. He is Paul Richardson all over again

Carlos Henderson or Zay Jones are the guys. Malone if they go later rounds.

Everything else looks nice except I would add Charles Harris to OLB and Tre'Davius White to CB

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
These are the guys I like by position, regardless of projected round. I've excluded guys who are almost certainly gone at #29, or who I like but just wouldn't take in round 1.

QB:
-J. Evans, Texas AM
-P. Williams, Temple

RB:
-J. McNichols, Boise State
-M. Mack, South Florida
-B. Hill, Wyoming
-S. Perine, Oklahoma
-T. Logan, North Carolina
-A. Jones, UTEP

WR:
-Z. Jones, ECU
-C. Godwin, Penn State
-C. Hansen, Cal
-J. Reynolds, Texas AM
-A. Darboh, Michigan
-J. Malone, Tennessee
-J. Chesson, Michigan
-R. Davis, Ga. State

TE:
-G. Kittle, Iowa
-J. Smith, FAU
-M. Roberts, Toledo

OL:
-F. Lamp, WKU
-T. Moton, WMU
-D. Feeney, Indiana
-W. Holden, Vanderbilt
-N. Siragusa, SDSU
-C. Roullier, Wyoming
-C. Levin, Chattanooga

DL:
-M. McDowell, MSU
-C. Wormley, Michigan
-J. Johnson, Iowa
-D. Jones, Mississippi

EDGE:
-T. Watt, Wisconsin
-J. Willis, KSU
-T. Bowser, Houston
-D. Rivers, Youngstown
-V. Biegel, Wisconsin
-T. Hendrickson, FAU
-S. Ekubam, EWU

LB:
-B. Brown, Ohio
-K. Beckwith, LSU
-B. Gedeon, Michigan
H. Langi, BYU
-B. Ellis, Arkansas

CB:
-M. Humphrey, Alabama
-T. White, LSU
-A. Jackson, USC
-K. King, Washington
-C. Awuzie, Colorado
-A. Witherspoon, Colorado
-S. Griffin, UCF
-C. Sutton, Tennessee
-H. Wilson, Houston

S:
-M. Maye, Florida
-M. Williams, Utah
-D. Hill, Michigan
-R. Jenkins, Miami
-N. Gerry, Nebraska
-X. Woods, La. Tech

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None. At best may end up having a decent draft. Nobody really excites me (as in making an impact this season).

H

HardRightEdge

Ross won't hold up. He is Paul Richardson all over again

Carlos Henderson or Zay Jones are the guys. Malone if they go later rounds.

Everything else looks nice except I would add Charles Harris to OLB and Tre'Davius White to CB
Zay Jones would be a nice pick with a lot of upside but his route running is pretty raw and his breaks are sloppy. The risk is that he really is just a long strider without the quickness to get separation off the break. His cone and shuttle indicate he should look better than he does. Some guys have him second round but I think the risks are a little high for that, though he probably won't last to the bottom of the 3rd.

He'd be insurance against a Nelson or Adams injury in year 1 while getting some snaps in 3 or 4 wideout sets. More of a year 2 player.

Henderson has a nice game, more polished than Jones, more wide/slot versatility, and in general the safer pick.

The question of where one comes down on "do they pay Adams?" or "do they take $9.5 mil in cap savings with Cobb?" after this season determines the player one would prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Zay Jones would be a nice pick with a lot of upside but his route running is pretty raw and his breaks are sloppy. The risk is that he really is just a long strider without the quickness to get separation off the break. His cone and shuttle indicate he should look better than he does. Some guys have him second round but I think the risks are a little high for that, though he probably won't last to the bottom of the 3rd.

He'd be insurance against a Nelson or Adams injury in year 1 while getting some snaps in 3 or 4 wideout sets. More of a year 2 player. Henderson has a nice game, more polished than Jones, more wide/slot versatility, and in general the safer pick.

The question of where one comes down on "do they pay Adams?" or "do they take $9.5 mil in cap savings with Cobb?" after this season determines the player one would prefer.

I like Henderson better of the two as well. He just shows more explosion on tape. Jones did dominate at the Senior Bowl which keeps him in the conversation.

I say get Henderson and re-sign Adams with Cobb being odd man out after 2017.

H

HardRightEdge

I like Henderson better of the two as well. He just shows more explosion on tape. Jones did dominate at the Senior Bowl which keeps him in the conversation.

I say get Henderson and re-sign Adams with Cobb being odd man out after 2017.
I lean that way myself in the Cobb / Adams equation. I could envision Adams doing more duty out of the slot anyway. He's very quick out of his breaks and has been money on the short slants. Adams just doesn't have the top gear for the deep ball, and the separation doesn't seem to show up on longer routes.

I forgot to mention that you may have hit on something with Malone.

He could be the WR steal of this draft at low 3rd. round. There's a lot of "bombs away" in the tape without much in the way of possession-type routes. You wonder how he gets that kind of separation. The clue may be in one clip where he threw a vicious double move on a guy and hung him out to dry. When I see that, I think there's raw ability applicable to short route breaks.

Like Jones, he's more a wideout than a guy with slot/wide verstatility and not much in the way of route tree on the tape. I think Malone is the better football player. He just looks more fluid and knows where he's going. I like his body control and adjustments to the ball better. He plays stronger than his dimensions and 10 lifts would suggest. There's a nice progression in his college career, that late bloomer look suggesting more upside.

If I get to the bottom of the 3rd. round and Jones and Malone are both on the board, I take Malone.

The one thing you have to like about Jones, Henderson and Malone are that they all show competitiveness at the ball, essential for a wideout in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

One more note on Malone after watching the full Alabama game tape. He looks a little loggy against press and he seems to show better burst when he looks to be the first option in the progression, which speaks to effort. He'd have to learn that with Rodgers you are always in play and there's no taking plays off.

I'd still say Malone over Jones, but in the final analysis Henderson is the lower risk guy with a good amount of game and would be my choice among the three.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is a pretty "easy" draft for TT, since just about any position he drafts could be viewed as a current or next year need. The only positions I don't see TT using a pick on and if he did, it would be considered a "luxury" pick are QB, TE, K and offensive Tackle (He may draft a college T to be later converted to a guard).

Big draft for Ted, I personally think that the Packers pre-draft roster is probably the weakest it has been in a long time.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
One more note on Malone after watching the full Alabama game tape. He looks a little loggy against press and he seems to show better burst when he looks to be the first option in the progression, which speaks to effort. He'd have to learn that with Rodgers you are always in play and there's no taking plays off.

I'd still say Malone over Jones, but in the final analysis Henderson is the lower risk guy with a good amount of game and would be my choice among the three.

I think it comes down to where you can get them. I like Malone in 3-4th round better then Jones in 2nd. I like Henderson in the 3rd the best but that might be a reach he will be there in 3rd.

Zay Jones just has TT written all over him though so well see.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say this is the weakest overall, but instead of being one of 4 teams I think are starting the season with a real legit shot, I'd put them in the top 6 or 7 or so. It's not like we've gone from real shot to no shot. We need somethings to happen, that is true, but I don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility either.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
These are the guys I like by position, regardless of projected round. I've excluded guys who are almost certainly gone at #29, or who I like but just wouldn't take in round 1.

QB:
-J. Evans, Texas AM
-P. Williams, Temple

RB:
-J. McNichols, Boise State
-M. Mack, South Florida
-B. Hill, Wyoming
-S. Perine, Oklahoma
-T. Logan, North Carolina
-A. Jones, UTEP

WR:
-Z. Jones, ECU
-C. Godwin, Penn State
-C. Hansen, Cal
-J. Reynolds, Texas AM
-A. Darboh, Michigan
-J. Malone, Tennessee
-J. Chesson, Michigan
-R. Davis, Ga. State

TE:
-G. Kittle, Iowa
-J. Smith, FAU
-M. Roberts, Toledo

OL:
-F. Lamp, WKU
-T. Moton, WMU
-D. Feeney, Indiana
-W. Holden, Vanderbilt
-N. Siragusa, SDSU
-C. Roullier, Wyoming
-C. Levin, Chattanooga

DL:
-M. McDowell, MSU
-C. Wormley, Michigan
-J. Johnson, Iowa
-D. Jones, Mississippi

EDGE:
-T. Watt, Wisconsin
-J. Willis, KSU
-T. Bowser, Houston
-D. Rivers, Youngstown
-V. Biegel, Wisconsin
-T. Hendrickson, FAU
-S. Ekubam, EWU

LB:
-B. Brown, Ohio
-K. Beckwith, LSU
-B. Gedeon, Michigan
H. Langi, BYU
-B. Ellis, Arkansas

CB:
-M. Humphrey, Alabama
-T. White, LSU
-A. Jackson, USC
-K. King, Washington
-C. Awuzie, Colorado
-A. Witherspoon, Colorado
-S. Griffin, UCF
-C. Sutton, Tennessee
-H. Wilson, Houston

S:
-M. Maye, Florida
-M. Williams, Utah
-D. Hill, Michigan
-R. Jenkins, Miami
-N. Gerry, Nebraska
-X. Woods, La. Tech
Pretty good list. I've got many of those names in the contest. No, you don't get a finders fee cut of my winnings.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So here's a question-- of the players thought to have a chance at Rd 1, who do you NOT like?

These aren't all names I'd be unhappy with at our pick, but they're the ones that I feel are overvalued at their projected draft positions:

QB:
-M. Trubisky, UNC
-P. Mahomes, TTU
-D. Kizer, ND

RB:
-L. Fournette, LSU*
-D. Cook, FSU

WR:
-M. Williams, CLEM*
-J. Ross, Washington

OL:
-G. Bolles, Utah
-R. Ramczyk, Wisconsin
-C. Robinson, Alabama

DL:
-C. Brantley, Florida

EDGE:
-T. Charlton, Michigan
-T. McKinley, UCLA
-T. Williams, Alabama

LB:
-H. Red****, Temple*
-J. Davis, Florida
-Z. Cunningham, Vanderbilt

CB:
-M. Lattimore, OSU*
-M. Humphrey, Alabama*

S:
-J. Adams, LSU*
-J. Peppers, Michigan

*I would take these players at the back of round one, but I think their most common projections are too rich for their abilities.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Also with basically having a full year to develop and not having to step right in and start it probably tips the scale to Malone.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
So here's a question-- of the players thought to have a chance at Rd 1, who do you NOT like?

These aren't all names I'd be unhappy with at our pick, but they're the ones that I feel are overvalued at their projected draft positions:

QB:
-M. Trubisky, UNC
-P. Mahomes, TTU
-D. Kizer, ND

RB:
-L. Fournette, LSU*
-D. Cook, FSU

WR:
-M. Williams, CLEM*
-J. Ross, Washington

OL:
-G. Bolles, Utah
-R. Ramczyk, Wisconsin
-C. Robinson, Alabama

DL:
-C. Brantley, Florida

EDGE:
-T. Charlton, Michigan
-T. McKinley, UCLA
-T. Williams, Alabama

LB:
-H. Red****, Temple*
-J. Davis, Florida
-Z. Cunningham, Vanderbilt

CB:
-M. Lattimore, OSU*
-M. Humphrey, Alabama*

S:
-J. Adams, LSU*
-J. Peppers, Michigan

*I would take these players at the back of round one, but I think their most common projections are too rich for their abilities.

Ross scares me because I dont think he holds up. Better receiving options but someone will be tempted by his 40 time.

Humphrey I think is overrated. Played for Bama so gets a little more recognition. Also, he gets lost tracking ball too often.

Peppers, I don't know where he plays. Typical situation where someone is drafting athleticism over football player.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watt
Engram-if Watt is not there I think he should be #1 pick. Versatile, big plays, and several impeding FA WR... and age.
Conley
Awuzie
Moreau
Williams OLB

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
To the OP, I'd be satisfied with:

1. TJ Watt - OLB
2. Chidobe Awuzie - CB
3. Chris Godwin - WR
4. Ethan Pocic - OL
5. Delano Hill - S
5. Samsun Ebukam - OLB
6. Aaron Jones - RB
7. Jalen Reeves-Maybin - LB

It also means I'd win the contest.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None. At best may end up having a decent draft. Nobody really excites me (as in making an impact this season).
I kinda of agree. What we could do, if done well, is come away with 5 real solid depth guys this year that develop into starters within 3. Preferably at RB, CB, OLB, OL plus a 'you pick it'. Not in any particular order.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm liking
CB - Moreau, K. King, Griffin, Wilson
OLB - Watt, Biegel, McKinley, Charlton
RB - Hunt, Perine, Foreman, McNichols, Hill
DE - Wormley

D

Deleted member 6794

Engram-if Watt is not there I think he should be #1 pick. Versatile, big plays, and several impeding FA WR... and age.

The Packers don't need a player like Engram best suited to line up at tight end after signing Bennett and Kendricks this offseason.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Mixon pretty bad, but the thing is I have no clue when he'll be taken. I feel like Mixon would be an immediate contributor if not an immediate impact player for us.

Kevin King is another guy I'm intrigued with. I love his combination of size and athletic ability.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For what it is worth, this seems to be what I keep reading about Kevin King and it concerns me that he is kind of a tweener between a CB and a S.....and probably wouldn't fit into Capers system as a CB.

BOTTOM LINE
Unusually tall cornerback with experience playing in the slot and as a starting safety. Showed improved instincts and ball production in 2016, but there are still concerns about whether he has the athleticism and recovery speed to utilize his length to play the football. Might be best suited to more zone coverage or off-man based on his speed limitations, but in either scheme he'll need to improve his aggressiveness as a tackler.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts