Free Agents you would like to see sign with Green Bay in 2019?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Earl Thomas would make this defense special.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Earl Thomas would make this defense special.

Was gonna put on the list, but I like Mathieu better at this point. He's younger and healthier. I have this inkling that next year Thomas is gonna demand crazy money even after having a bad leg (2 breaks in 12 months). If fully healthy, Thomas is a great fit.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

How about Micheal Bennett ? He seems a well grounded young man :whistling:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Josh Gordon (WR)

2) Jadeveon Clowney (DL, OLB)

3) Tyrann Mathieu (S)

4) LaAdrian Waddle (RT)

5) Dante Fowler Jr. (DE)

6) Chance Warmack (RG)

7) Demetrius Harris (TE)

Inspired by:

https://clutchpoints.com/green-bay-packers-3-free-agents-to-target-in-2019/

Projected cap space in 2019: $47, 525, 500

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

Thoughts? Who would you like to see in Green and Gold next year?

Clowney would be nice, but, as always, it depends on how much he wants.

Reaction score
How long are we giving it until we draft a QB? It'd be nice for when that time came that the QB sit and learn for a year or two before the switch happens. PS. This does not mean I do not want Aaron as our QB now. This is a question for the future.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly none of those free agents sound appealing. Those are all examples of overpaying for a player for what he's done and not what he will do for your team. Plus all those players will want to get paid..

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clowney will want a lot.

Obviously.

However, if he wants what Mack is getting from Chicago, he's likely not worth that. So.....it depends.

Clay Matthews is likely on his way out, and that will free up some money. Ditto Randall Cobb. The Packers have many needs, some of which hopefully will be addressed in the draft. It would be nice to add one stud, however, via free agency. Clowney would be a nice get.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Do we think we will honestly sign any of these players?
I hope Gute has realized that you can't always fix current problems immediately through the draft. While he seems to have hit on JA to fix one of the CB positions, there are just too many examples of Rookies not being able to step right in and perform at a high level to risk it on OLB and S, which to me are the two positions you go after hard in Free Agency. If Gute can shore up those 2 positions before the draft, he can go into the draft with the idea of "what do we need in the near future?"

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If Gute can shore up those 2 positions before the draft, he can go into the draft with the idea of "what do we need in the near future?"
And finally be able to restock on offense. I'd like a huge talent playmaker to line up opposite of Davante, and we obviously need to shore up the offensive line.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now please refrain from yelling when I say this. But some blowhard on the four letter network said something that actually made some sort of sense. Put playmakers around A-Rod (IE DAVANTE) just one... I know they just pony-ed up an extension but what would you think the Giants would want for OBJ.... I mean yes he is a cancer at times but dude can flat out catch... Also find some speedster that could stretch out the defense. I am grasping at straws, frustrated with the season in itself, but ultimately a big big difference maker on defense is IDEAL IN FA....

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A free safety with good ball skills and possibly a right guard.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And finally be able to restock on offense. I'd like a huge talent playmaker to line up opposite of Davante, and we obviously need to shore up the offensive line.
Will be tough decisions on what to do at WR. I think we may have stolen MVS and EQ definitely has some potential. But I fully agree that our OL has been neglected far too long in the draft (unless you count Spriggs, but lets not go there) and its time to replace Bulaga as well as R Guard. I know a lot of people have been saying for years that we have one of the best OL in the league, but I think Rodgers was able to cover up some of their deficiencies and as he has become less mobile, its showing that the starting 5 and what some call "depth" really isn't all that special.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah we need high picks at RT and guard. Although maybe we could snag up a guard in free agency, one position where youre not likely to get murdered cap wise. Maybe look at Earl Thomas and then you only need a couple fills with our first three picks. A good free safety would let us play Josh Jones as a more natural traditional SS where I think he'd thrive. Then we'd be able to fortify both lines with our high picks and maybe look for a receiver in rounds 2 to 3.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dont try to sign pass rushers and CBs in free agency they tend to want way too much. Draft at those positions and fill in the less heralded spots in FA.
While I totally agree with you on this point of having to overpay in Free Agency for a Pass Rusher, how do you propose to fix what appears to be a glaring need for 2 of them? I wouldn't want 2 rookies starting at OLB next year, even if they were the 8th and 32nd picks of the draft. I also really don't want to see both first round picks spent at one position, when we have obvious needs elsewhere. By counting on Perry and Matthews for far too long and not using a high pick on the position, TT and Gute have kind of screwed the pooch here. Which is why I think many of us were shocked that in the last 2 drafts, an OLB wasn't taken until what....Beigel in the 4th round of the 2017th draft?

Maybe this is the time you go after an OLB in a trade?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gordon and Mathieu would be nice.

Edges players I’d rather draft than pay for a guy like clowney who will want a ton.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Gute has realized that you can't always fix current problems immediately through the draft. While he seems to have hit on JA to fix one of the CB positions, there are just too many examples of Rookies not being able to step right in and perform at a high level to risk it on OLB and S, which to me are the two positions you go after hard in Free Agency. If Gute can shore up those 2 positions before the draft, he can go into the draft with the idea of "what do we need in the near future?"
While true... draft position can make a huge difference. The way things are going... It
looks like we will probably get a shot at one very good player... just like we did with Alexander.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I totally agree with you on this point of having to overpay in Free Agency for a Pass Rusher, how do you propose to fix what appears to be a glaring need for 2 of them? I wouldn't want 2 rookies starting at OLB next year, even if they were the 8th and 32nd picks of the draft. I also really don't want to see both first round picks spent at one position, when we have obvious needs elsewhere. By counting on Perry and Matthews for far too long and not using a high pick on the position, TT and Gute have kind of screwed the pooch here. Which is why I think many of us were shocked that in the last 2 drafts, an OLB wasn't taken until what....Beigel in the 4th round of the 2017th draft?

Maybe this is the time you go after an OLB in a trade?

I think you try to draft one, and roll with Clark Daniels Fackrell and the new guy whoever he is. You dont need a dominant pass rusher if you have enough guys who can win at any given snap.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah we need high picks at RT and guard. Although maybe we could snag up a guard in free agency, one position where youre not likely to get murdered cap wise. Maybe look at Earl Thomas and then you only need a couple fills with our first three picks. A good free safety would let us play Josh Jones as a more natural traditional SS where I think he'd thrive. Then we'd be able to fortify both lines with our high picks and maybe look for a receiver in rounds 2 to 3.
I agree with the points in your post... but not Earl Thomas. The guy has broken his leg twice in about a year... That is a ridiculous amount of risk when you compare it to what he would cost.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts