What made you a Packers fan?

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up a Packer fan. One of my earliest memories was my Dad yelling at the TV and telling the Packers what they were doing wrong.(Obviously that did not happen very often) I actually thought that Dad worked for the Packers because my Mom would say

" Call him up Gerry, call Lombardi up and tell him what he is doing wrong..."

Listened to the Ice Bowl while out pheasant hunting with Dad, the radio station fading in and out as we drove up and down the roads in eastern Iowa. I was there during the good times in the 60's, the sad times of the 70's, and the horrible times of the 80's. Never wavered, never cheered for anyone else.....never.

Because of my time with the Packers, I think I cherish their success much more that the average fan.

IMHO, if this current team can get a dominant running game, they will be on par with Lombardi's Packers from 1959-1967. Yea, they are THAT good.

Packfan14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In NC, before the Panthers were created, (at the age of 6) I was a Marino fan. but when my mom got me NFL 95 for the Sega Genesis, i started playing as the Packers b/c of the uniforms. but became a bigger fan when the Pack beat Carolina in the NFC title game in 1997. i've been a big fan since.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raised near Green Bay. Of my 2 next door neighbors, one was a Bears fan and the other a Packer fan. Luckily the one who was a Packer fan, would leave his drapes open. The Bears fan would close theirs. Therefore, I would only get to see the Packer games. Had it been the other way around - I shudder just thinking about it.

JimisPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the land of all you can wish for, minus the t
I was born in the 80's- which allowed me to grow-up watching sports in the 90's with GreenBay being the first professional team I seen play a game and win, the game was against the Lions when they still had Barry. Favre instantly became my fav player (he is also the reason my fav number is 4) and I stayed loyalty to the Packers... As well as the Bulls Mariners and LA Kings. (My favorite childhood sports icons were Brett Favre, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Ken Griffey Jr., and Ceasar Chavez (man was I mad when he lost to Oscar, uggghh!)
Brett was also golden, even though he has never been techincally charged with the leagues implemention of the "no helmets off on the field- even after a score" rule, the historic image of him running the field with helmet and in one hand and one finger up on the other, and his golden brown hair trying to keep up with his enthusiasm was the very reason for that rule... But I mainly became a fan because I was a young frontrunner and I never switched sides, never like someone else, or traded one gf for another- just stayed loyal and cannot be any happier today.
Bleed-Breathe-Eat-Drink Green n Gold.

Love Jimi.

jerryricefumbled

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks! I remember watching that game and screaming at the tv. Every Packer fan immediately knows the game it references. If that fumble gets called then maybe Terrell Owens never emerges as the star he was... on the other hand maybe we never have instant replay and coaches challenges.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks! I remember watching that game and screaming at the tv. Every Packer fan immediately knows the game it references. If that fumble gets called then maybe Terrell Owens never emerges as the star he was... on the other hand maybe we never have instant replay and coaches challenges.
You know what else I remember? That #@% Troy Aikman vehemently advocating for the end of instant replay. Every time I heard that @!#$ speak about that, I immediately thought about that game.

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My grade school high school and college colors were Green n Gold. to further complicate that matter my wife was born in GB and her family has the season tickets since 1958 ( which we handle now) so i got hit three times :) ! and to think i acutally grew up in bears territory. there was hell to pay for me being a Packer fan lol!!!

SeanMcDougall

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi Yall, from Texas.

I started to like the Packers when I was a kid and started to understand football. No one in my family liked football they all like the NBA and it got annoying hearing about Basketball all the time so I chose to watch football. I can't remember what made me like the Packers over other teams but I felt happy watching Favre and Donald Driver etc. I was always ridiculed for liking a team so far from Texas in Highschool. The Packers are always hated on and seen as but of the joke by Dallas Fans down here but I stuck with my team through the rough times(watching Favre leave, watching him the Packs miss their chance time after time, the defeats etc.) and now all my Dallas Friends shut their ***** up after that 45-7 loss the Packs gave them,(Yeah they were all awfully quiet after that) and it feels good Rubbing that NFL Champions Title in the face of the Cowgirl Fans....HAHAHAHA.

Aaron Rodgers if my hero, I always knew he had it in him!! God I wish I could go to Lambeau field or the Packer's training camp....All of yall are lucky to live in Greenbay!!!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitting with my Dad on Sunday afternoons watching the Packers on Black and White TV listening to Ray Scott. I was hooked for life.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets see... oh that's right in 2003 I realized the Vikings suck and made the transition, so unlike a few posts here (I can guess) i'm not a bandwagoner.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I am from the L.A. area. I was raised on the RAMS, my childhood hero was Deacon Jones. I bled Blue and Yellow until the day they moved to St. Louis. I no longer had loyalty to that team. I settled on the Packers because green was my favorite color, I liked the persona of the team and the fans and I could easily see myself in the parking lot of Lambeau in 10 degree weather eating Brats and drinking beer.

I had only been a fan for a couple of years and was still a pretty casual fan when we were in Super Bowl XXXII. I remember when Elway dove head first for a first down and did the helicopter. I had to root for Elway the rest of the game. A side note on that is my daughter was in the halftime show and was only a few feet from Farve when they tied the game just before half time.

I have since become a rabid packer fan. I bleed green and gold. My family knows not to plan anything on any day the packers are playing because I do not miss a game. They call my truck the Packer mobile.

On Sept 8 I am finally making my pilgrimage to Lambeau. I will dress in Green and Gold robes and will circle Lambeau counter clockwise 13 times. I am trying to organize a Lambeau west tailgate for the game in San Diego. I want to take over a large section of the parking lot with Packer fans. If your interested contact me. If you happen to be there look for the Packer Flag and the Championship flag flying 20 feet above a white Avalanche. I will buy you a beer and a Brat.

Mark

Grabastic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up an Oilers fan. When I was in college the team moved. No way was I going to be a Cowgirls fan, and I really liked the old historic teams. The Pack had a lot of characters and history, so I started watching games at sports bars. I was hooked, and 15 years later I'm a Packer fan in north Texas.
I get crap every year for being Pack fan. I have a ton of Packer stuff up in my office. Last season was greatness, and I'm looking forward to this season. I've found a sports bar not far from home that is a Packer bar, so I'll have some good times there.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a Packers fan has been in my blood since the Packers were born, so I really didn't have a choice in the matter. Not that I would have chosen any different, of course!! :D

Packer Ste

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My mum's cousin has been a Packers fan for the best part of 30 years (after a visit to Wisconsin) and for as long as I can remember he has been coming round to our house any time the Packers games have been broadcast on UK television to watch them. So I have grown up watching the Packers and it didn't take long to fully convert me to the sport and to the Green and Gold!

OptimumBuster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It stemmed from sitting with my Grandfather and watching the Majkowski games then seeing Reggie come in, then Favre... Then I didn't get back into it till he passed, and the packers were in the playoffs in 2007. So now I'm all in hardcore fan. :)

packerswin96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am from Saskatchewan where the province saved and owns the team, when I read in '91 about the Packers being pretty much in the same boat I became a fan. (this was early in my NFL watching days) Have been a diehard fan since, and actually care more about the Packers winning than I do the RoughRiders winning.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Publicly owned, Lombardi and.... Never wanted to yell at the TV like my Browns and Bengals fan family members :)

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in Wisconsin, lived in Racine until I was 10 and moved to Arizona and i have lived there ever since. My dad was a big Packers fan so naturally I became one as well. It wasn't until i moved to AZ that i became even a bigger fan, going to the sports bars when i was a kid with my family to watch all the games. 2009 was such a great year because i was able to see the Packers play 3 times in Arizona, week 3 of preseason, last game of the season, and the loss in the wildcard round of the playoffs (amazing game to be at despite loss!)...My daughter is a fan now and i have a baby boy on the way that will become the newest Packer fan in my family.

PackersXLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grew up in a Packer family. Luckily, like all others in my age range, I've been fortunate enough to experience competitive teams 90% of every year since I was 6 ('92). When they won the Superbowl in '96 I was pretty young, so experiencing it this year was truly amazing.

unionstpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Born and raised in Wisconsin. But coming out to California really cemented my loyalty to the Pack. Everyone kept asking me: "Are you a 49ers fan yet?" It made me realize they're fair weather fans, and made me that much more proud that I was a Packers fan since birth.

Members online

Latest posts