What made you a Packers fan?

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
When you're a mere seven years old and Ray Nitschke signs a copy of his brand new autobiography "Mean On Sunday" for you, hell yeah, you're gonna be a Packers fan.
The mix of intimidation and awe kind of seals the deal.

What a great memory.

Hype

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My father was always a fan so it kinda of rubbed off on me. When I was in the 6th grade I got a Don Majkowski jersey for Christmas. Now growing up in Jersey, i was surrounded by Jets, Giants and Eagles fans. Everyone in my grade gave me the WTF look when i wore that jersey to school. I put up wit sooo much crap for the next few years. Even in HS, i was the only kid wearing GB Jerseys; Favre, White, Bennett, Jackson.

bigpackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm from the south and was a huge Favre fan in college, and when he went to the Packers, I because a huge Green Bay. After he left, I gave up on Favre, and stayed with the Pack.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I found out the other day that my Great Grandfather would be terribly upset if he knew his kin was a Packers fan. He was upset that his team, the Stambaugh Miners lost to them twice while they existed and claimed he would only root against the Pack. Also for those who don't know the Stambaugh Miners played the Pack in 1919 and 1920.

Frozencheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blood. My Grandmother was raised in Gillett, WI my Grandfather was raised in Tigerton. I lived in Burlington till I was 21 and moved to Alaska. I still make it to game most years, my girlfriend didnt know anything about football at all when I met her.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I just realized I never submitted mine. When I was a kid I sent letters out to NFL teams asking for a team picture. My Mother helped me address the envelopes. This was in the days before PC's so I had to find a football magazine that reported on all the teams and told where their headquarters were. It was quite a bit of work for a kid. I wanted the pictures to post on my bedroom walls because I was really getting interested in the sport. I could name the starting lineup of most of the teams in the league at the time.

Only two teams answered my letters; the New York Giants who sent me a nice glossy team picture and the Green Bay Packers sent me individual 5x8 prints of their starting players. (Both teams had faced each other in championship games near that time). Even the envelope they came in had neat Packers logos on it. So I was attracted by great marketing I suppose. I quickly became a fan of Bart Starr and that was it.

cheeseheadfanatic87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew into being a fan, I originally grew up in Rhinelander, Wisconsin roughly 2 and a half hours north of Green Bay. I was about 5 when I first seen the Packers in the 1992 season, and noticed my Dad watched it religiously. I guess from than on, I continued to watch, and got into it. It became a tradition on Sundays for my Dad, and I. It also brought us closer as well.

Growing up my favorite players were: Brett Favre, Antonio Freeman, and Gilbert Brown. I have been blessed to be able to watch three Super Bowls, winning two of them! My father's friend is a Packers shareholder, and this year his friend was at a golf tournament where Aaron Rodgers was at it, managed to get a signed picture for me that says, "To a true warrior, all my best", signed Aaron Rodgers. It was also signed by Mason Crosby, and AJ Hawk!

Ever since I joined the military my father and I don't watch games together anymore, unless I am home on leave. But my father and I always call during half time. I guess from 1992 and than on it's been history! I just love my Packers, and nothing beats the tradition, the history, and the fan base of the Packers. I am hoping soon the Packers come to Denver!

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
In the mid 1990s, 1995 or 1996. As Brett Favre was making his mark. And got his second MVP. And also Craig Hentrich made me a fan of his. As well as the late, great Reggie White. Winning their Super Bowl in 1997 in the Superdome.

dieautobot

Success is commemorated, Failure merely remembered
Reaction score
My dad was retired airforce and i grew up in Wisconsin. i grew up with football being much like in the southern US. it's all about football and church, LOL. so i was born in milwaukee and grew up in LaCrosse and it was Packers football and nothing else. I mean, any Wisconsin sports franchise was where any child in our home was expected to be loyal. living around cheeseheads and growing up with the fandom made it a no brainer!!

i'm in the military and i know alot of football fans who don't have home loyalty. to each his own, but how can you grow up in say, Texas, and root for the Bills? never made sense to me. I have been with the Pack since the Farve painkiller days and losing season after season. win or lose, cheesehead forever!!!

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well my story is kind of odd hahaha! My moms side of the family are Midwestern folks(Chicago to be exact), and are huge Chi Town sports fans actually except for my Uncle(RIP) and my cousin Eric. My uncle is from Baltimore originally, and was a huge Colts fan during the period he moved to Chicago. Well fast forward to when the Colts leave, and he left Chicago to transfer to Philadelphia. Of course this man hated the Eagles, Bears, and Cowboys. So his natural choice of a team? Green Bay Packers. My cousin Eric was a Cheesehead from birth as well, and they both had introduced me to Cheesehead mania around 89-90. I remember having a Sterling Sharpe jersey in a school filled with Deadskins, Cowboys, Eaglets, and Giants fans.

vancouverpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?
The tradition of hard nosed football going back to Lombardi, Starr etc... An organization that was committed to excellence.

billysofly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when i was little me and my bros would have the sunday together with my dad and he would cook something for us while we watch the packers... it was like a father and son thing.... and that how i grown to love the packers don makowski was their QB then lol

beautifuleyes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been watching football since I was 5, but I would always watch CFL games since that's what my brothers would watch on a regular basis. They rarely watched NFL.

Then 3 years ago I met my boyfriend (hardcore Packers fan - Pegger Packer). We both share a love for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and CFL football, and he suggested we get custom ordered blue cheeseheads to wear to CFL games. I agreed to this, now on Sundays I wake up, put my Rodgers jersey on, turn the tv on to the Packers game... and the rest is history. I'm a cheesehead for life now.

Pack88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I became a fan in 1960; still mad Mcdonald caught that long pass to beat GB at Franklin Field! I also still have an autographed picture from Bart Starr in 1966! Great Gentleman and steel eyed assassin in big games!
Pack88

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During my childhood in the early 90's I lived in Wisconsin. My family were huge Packer fans, but I did not like football back then. I started following the Packers during their 2001 season and I have been a fan since. I am now in my 20's and live in Chicago where I am surrounded my Bears fans.

GB Native

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in Green Bay at Bellin hospital in 1968. My Dad has a note that says "Good luck on the new baby" signed by Bart Starr so its a birthright and a pleasure to be a Packer Backer.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I was born in Green Bay at Bellin hospital in 1968. My Dad has a note that says "Good luck on the new baby" signed by Bart Starr so its a birthright and a pleasure to be a Packer Backer.

That's cool! I was one of a bunch of boys. All my parents kept were cards from friends teasing them that I wasn't a girl.....sigh....

LOLions

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted to root for a team with rich tradition and history and the packers seemed to epitomize that. I've never been to Wisconsin but I hope to visit Lambeau field sometime in the future.

Aussie Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw my first game on TV in Australia in the 70s', noticed the big 'G' on the helmet and because my name starts with a 'G' thought that was my team. National colors of Australia are green and gold and I was born in 1966, which was a good Packer year...it was a natural choice.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like everything was perfectly aligned for you. You could not have made a better choice.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved watching football with my dad, he would always tell me about a player named Bart Starr and how good this QB was when he was growing up. I grew up on Brett Favre (before he became the jealous old man he is now) LOL! So many great memories watching the Packers together, my 2 favorite are: Super Bowl XXXI, Antonio Freeman's "He did what???" catch etc. We were both jumping for joy like 2 kids when we saw the replay of the catch, LOL! Good times! Thanks Dad!

PackerFanInTexas

Packer fan since '93
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

Was watching the playoffs in 92 or 93 (was in Houston at the time and was an Oiler fan) and I remember thinking I liked this team. The coach, Holmgren, Favre, Reggie White, Mark Chmura, hell all those guys. When the Oilers left it became easy for me to go from a part time fan to full time. In fact most of the guys I hung with became Packer fans (we hate the Cowboys) and some still are.

I think I've stayed with them due to the tradition. Always admired Lombardi and there is something about them being owned by the city of Green Bay and being the only small town team left that makes them cooler than other teams. I've never even been to Wisconsin but the Pack will always be my favorite football team. I'm married to a long time Packer fan and some of our friends here in West Texas are also Packer fans. Which is kinda weird since we're in Dallass Cowgirl country. The highlight of any season is when I can wear my Packer gear after GB has smacked the doodoo out of the Cowgirls. The look on Cowgirl fans face is priceless.

jwmann2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My mom was born and raised in Green Bay so all of that side of the family lives there. I grew up in Iowa but remember early on from my childhood going up there and seeing practices and going to the stadium. Watching the games from my grandparents house with all the relatives there, especially when they would play the Lions on Thanksgiving. Great memories. I was born with it in my blood to be a Packer fan.

Good stuff. I think that is where it starts; family. I really hate seeing Packers fans with no ties to Wisconsin or the team. The Packers are possibly the 2nd most popular team in the NFL but by default you have a lot of bandwagon fans that jump on because everyone else likes them. Thats what tradition does for a franchise.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts