What made you a Packers fan?

Tundramen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in Superior WI. Die hard fan wrote and recorded "The Pack Is Back" in 1992
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PACKmasterGeneral

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my all time favorite college players is Ty Detmer. He was BYU's quarterback when I was around 10 or 11ish. I remember watching him win the Heisman on television and also when BYU beat #1 Miami in 1990. When he got drafted by the Packers they became my team and they have been ever since. I am now 37 and am finally making the trek from Southern Utah to Lambeau to see my first game on November 6th. So dang excited!!!!

FWR3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

FWR3Cheesehead
Thanks! Been a Packer Fan since my Pop had Coach Lombardi speak at a Rotary Meeting in '65 or '66. I was a Dorky 12 year old. I couldn't go. I asked my Pop to "give Coach my regards.." He did. He said to my Pop in his Coach voice.."You give your son my regards too!" I have been a Green Bay Packer Fan ever since.

So I went on with life, and two decades ago, I lost my first wife to Melanoma. It was horrible. But I did get a second chance with my former Program Director and Boss at the radio station I worked for, She was born and raised in Antigo, schooled at Platteville in R & T, and we have been married for 20 years, on 5/3, Her Birthday too! Went to Lambeau for the 1st preseason game 2009. We have a brick there with our names. Packer Fans Forever.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just remembered this thread and wanted to share what I think is the strangest Packer fan story I ever heard. A fellow Packer fan I watch games with received as a gift from his mother a Packer's football uniform at the age of seven or eight. Where this woman got a Packers football uniform in New Jersey in the 70's is a mystery to me. I told him a Packers uniform in the 70's must have been distressed merchandise and she probably got it real cheap.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I just remembered this thread and wanted to share what I think is the strangest Packer fan story I ever heard. A fellow Packer fan I watch games with received as a gift from his mother a Packer's football uniform at the age of seven or eight. Where this woman got a Packers football uniform in New Jersey in the 70's is a mystery to me. I told him a Packers uniform in the 70's must have been distressed merchandise and she probably got it real cheap.

Well if it was from the 72 team, they weren't too bad (10-4) :) The Packers actually had a few decent players in the 70's, just not enough to do much.

BTW, does that Jersey still fit your friend? ;)

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if it was from the 72 team, they weren't too bad (10-4) :) The Packers actually had a few decent players in the 70's, just not enough to do much.

BTW, does that Jersey still fit your friend? ;)

To me the 70's and 80's was a non event as far as the Packers were concerned. Being here on the east coast I only was able to see two or three Packers games a year. There was no internet, no cable TV, no satellite TV.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There was no internet, no cable TV, no satellite TV.

Ohhh the "good old days". I kind of miss it, it was the time I grew up in. Of course, without the internet, reading this post would be rather difficult. Lucky for all of us, Al Gore was a genius! :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What did Al Gore do ?

Come on, you don't know the "Al Gore and the internet story?" :sneaky:

It all started during a March 8, 1999, interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, as Gore was preparing to make a run for the Democratic nomination for president.

"But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I’ve traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks.....Did not know that. I heard someone say the internet was the second biggest invention in the history of the world !

Teresa McGhee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My mom was born and raised in Green Bay so all of that side of the family lives there. I grew up in Iowa but remember early on from my childhood going up there and seeing practices and going to the stadium. Watching the games from my grandparents house with all the relatives there, especially when they would play the Lions on Thanksgiving. Great memories. I was born with it in my blood to be a Packer fan.
That's awesome you got to be so close and watch games in person. The closest I have been is when I stand next to the tv. Lol

Teresa McGhee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I became a fan because of my location. Not only do I live in Green Bay, but I also live less than one mile from Lambeau which intensifies the experience. Though I do know people who live here and are not fans, they are few and far between.

It is also easier to form a more personal connection with the team and specific players - particularly when I was younger, the players were very accessible in the community. Brett lived next to my brother's friend (they TP'ed his home, haha) and his daughter went to Southwest while she was here with a bunch of my friends, Reggie White's wife helped me shop for presents one year and I sang at his retirement with my choir, some of the coaches (Mike Sherman in particular) had kids on the city baseballs teams when my brother played, many of the players (Ryan Longwell I remember best - such a nice guy) went bowling with my brother's class... it goes on and on. Donald Driver and Aaron Rodgers always stop in my dad's work and (Driver in particular) chat for quite a while.

I love the Packers because, for the most part, they are down-to-earth guys who make me proud to support them. :) I spent quite a few summers in Chicago growing up and could have easily converted, but knowing everything that I do know about this organization will always keep me a fan.

(I also like how, for the most part, the team is good! They have their off years, but it sure does make it easier supporting a team who typically has a winning record).

And respect. The Packers are a respected organization, and it makes me proud to support them. I take a lot of pride in living in the smallest community with an NFL team who actually "own" their team. It is really a cool experience.
Wow! I am very jealous. I think your experiences and stories are fantastic.

Brian Purdy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It began for me at the end of 1970, seeing those green jerseys and yellow gold pants. Then while going through elementary, junior high and high school, I stood up for the Packers when they weren't very good.
Learning to read **** and Jane,thrilled to find Bart Starr in the library. Learning art, just to paints the Packers helmet. Held my Packer binder, Packers pencils and eraser. Football cards, Packers blanket, kids uniform and helmet

Brian Purdy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hooked, Bowman, Lueck, Gillingham, Homes and Hayhoe. McGeorge, Glass and Dale. Hunter, Brockington and Anderson, the Lane.
Brown, McCoy, Williams,Roche, Carr,Nitschke, Robinson, Buchanon, Ellis,Matthews and Wood. Marcol and Widby

scotto_25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a young adult I went on a business trip to Tomahawk (Case Equipment Facility) for work....Everything/Everyone bled Packers. Was a great experience.

Members online

Latest posts