What made you a Packers fan?

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I became a Packer fan at the young age of 5, just a few months before my 6th birthday. My parents were never big NFL fans. They were big Iowa Hawkeye fans though. My Dad is from North Eastern Iowa and loosely followed the Packers, but never really paid much attention to them because they were not a good football team for almost all of his childhood and a small chunk of his adulthood. My Mom is from Boston though and almost all of her family are die hard Patriot fans.
Now back to that spring of 1994, I was at my brother 6th grade graduation. When they asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up he said that we wanted to be the starting Full Back for the Green Bay Packers. That was when I became a Packer fan. Later that year I inherited his old Packer pullover winter coat. And 2 years later, after the Packers beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl, he became a Patriot fan.

Andy Davies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First ever game I saw in the 82 season was a Packers game. First game shown in the UK. And that was it for me.

I have travelled to the US on loads of occasions as a military pilot, but the closest I got to Green Bay was a 24 hour stop in Minneapolis. Most of my trips were to USAF bases further South ( Vegas, SanDiego, Little Rock etc) so I have never seen a game live.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

First ever game I saw in the 82 season was a Packers game. First game shown in the UK. And that was it for me.

I have travelled to the US on loads of occasions as a military pilot, but the closest I got to Green Bay was a 24 hour stop in Minneapolis. Most of my trips were to USAF bases further South ( Vegas, SanDiego, Little Rock etc) so I have never seen a game live.

Welcome to the forum.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Genuine question. Does the snow and sub zero temperatures ever make them cancel a game to a later date ?

Never heard of it happening. Lightning might. Metrodome collapsing from heavy snow I think delayed and moved a game once. Or unsafe playing conditions, like the Packer preseason game this year.

The Metrodome comment got me to looking for info. The game with the Giants scheduled to be played there was indeed postponed and moved to Ford Field in Detroit on Monday night.

This was a pretty cool view of the collapse. Check out the guys in the cart, getting the heck out of there as fast as it would take them!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Dave Read

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

I'm in the UK and it all started for me back in 1982 when Channel 4 started showing football over here. The very first game aired was GB against the Rams at Milwaukee and it started badly with the Pack being down 23-0 at the half. Now I love an underdog and the comeback completed by the Packers in the second half had me spellbound. I knew from that moment Green Bay were my team!

I just love the small town club owned by the fans ethos and follow every game religiously now, including setting the alarm for 3am if we're the late game! My dream is to visit and take in the whole Green Bay experience and hopefully that will happen in 2017.

Cheers
Dave

Fozastuta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in the UK and it all started for me back in 1982 when Channel 4 started showing football over here. The very first game aired was GB against the Rams at Milwaukee and it started badly with the Pack being down 23-0 at the half. Now I love an underdog and the comeback completed by the Packers in the second half had me spellbound. I knew from that moment Green Bay were my team!

I just love the small town club owned by the fans ethos and follow every game religiously now, including setting the alarm for 3am if we're the late game! My dream is to visit and take in the whole Green Bay experience and hopefully that will happen in 2017.

Cheers
Dave

Another UK Packer, good to read. The UK Packers Supporters Club do yearly trips out to Green bay for a game, it might be worth you registering with them.

Squonk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Born in Manitowoc and lived there and later in Milwaukee until 12 years old. Live in Virginia now 40 years, but believe me, you go to any bar on a Sunday, and there are usually as many Pack fans as Skins fans. Also got some stock for Christmas however long ago -- maybe 6 years ago, and proudly display that with my official letter from Mark Murphy in a frame in my office.

Bluegrass79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was collecting basketball and baseball cards back in 1992 when some of us decided to try out collecting football cards.
Each one of us had to pick a player to collect. I chose Brett Favre not knowing who he was and anything. I just liked his last name which I pronounced at the time: Fove Ray lmao. I didnt even know how to say his name correctly. Also I was a fan of "Brett" the hit man Hart.
So Favre's full name made me a Packers fan lol.
Brett Favre and the Packers became my football team by complete chance.
Im now a 24 season veteran packer fan from Kentucky. The Packers are #1 and Kentucky basketball is #2 . Lucky to have both. Both are very similar in their history and fanbases.
Thank God for football cards , Brett Hart, and Brett Fove Ray!!!

P.s. pass the damn ball to Cobb. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bluegrass79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You realize Cobb was inactive yesterday. And the past two seasons he's been rather pedestrian. Must be his wallet slowing him down.
Yea I was aware he was out yesterday. Rather pedestrian? Yea it ain't Cobb's fault he don't get the ball. Against the Bears he was targeted one freaking time. Trust me Cobb isnt anywhere near pedestrian.
Most of the time he isn't used correctly.
If he is completely healthy I wouldn't trade Cobb for anyone. Of course I'm a Kentucky homer though lol. I know what Cobb is truly capable of.
The next Kentucky player the Packers will get is our freshman running back, Benny Snell. Best freshman running back in the country this year. 13 TDs 1100 yards. Physical powerful SEC runner. A star. He will be better than Lacy. Snell and the Packers is the future in 2019.

Last edited:

bronze06

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?
Davante Adams. I've been following his career after meeting part of his family and enjoying seeing his development as a player/person. Not only are his skills noteworthy but he plays with joy. He is obviously dedicated to the team.
For a young player he is poised during interviews with thoughtful/intelligent answers. This led me to following the team and learning a heck of a lot about football! I was actually raised to like the Giants. Thank you Davante and the Green Bay Packers!

WakeUpTheEchoes12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in Minnesota and in a former life was a Vikings fan. Brett Favre initially drew me the Pack, but I didn't become a fan of the team until Aaron Rodgers. I just like the whole organization and the culture around the team. Green Bay represents doing things the right way, the Packers truly are an iconic and cornerstone American sports franchise. The history, tradition, and aura around the team is incredible and is similar to what initially drew me to being a Notre Dame fan.

The modern sports landscape is rife with plenty of examples of doing things the wrong way. The Packers are a team that you can cheer for and feel good about.

Packerdawg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching NFL Films as a kid and listening to Lombardi teach plays and strategy. Of course watching highlights listening to the voice of God John Facenda.

PackIngIt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre. I am a die-hard FALCONS fan. But I love the people of Wisconsin. I walked in the Georgia Dome last game with this lady who was 82yrs old. She drove 4 hrs to the game. She talked about her history of being a PACKER. Just awesome. Besides that the women from Wisconsin are sooooo fine. What are you people eating up there?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Brett Favre. I am a die-hard FALCONS fan. But I love the people of Wisconsin. I walked in the Georgia Dome last game with this lady who was 82yrs old. She drove 4 hrs to the game. She talked about her history of being a PACKER. Just awesome. Besides that the women from Wisconsin are sooooo fine. What are you people eating up there?

Falcon ;)

PackIngIt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Friday night fish fries...

Sunday afternoon Falcon roasts?
Lol. That Falcon roast usually make people sick if you do not know how to cook it. Stick with the Friday night fish fries.... But man you all women are so thick & beautiful. I want talk to one this Sunday & marry her Monday. Only if the FALCONS win. Wisconsin's loves RINGS & LOMBARDI TROPHY'S. LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts