What made you a Packers fan?

Bama Packer fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Born and raised on University of Alabama football so tradition and winning are huge. For a pro team only the Packers for me. Legendary coaches, players, fans, and stadium. And a great Bama connection back to Bart Star.

NYPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I officially became a packers fan last week. I began life as a football fan rooting for the Jets. This year marked 30 years of nothing but disappointment and I decided that 30 years was long enough to give a team without getting anything back. The Jets are simply put, a bad organization.

My requirements for picking a new team were pretty simple. I wanted to root for a good organization with solid ownership and not an AFC East team. I always passively rooted for Favre while he was a Packer and was ecstatic when the Jets traded for him - unfortunately we could only hold him for one year. Hopefully the Favre love doesn't catch too much flack around here. I'm sure there was great debate over that whole saga here. Anyway, the reason for bringing that up is that it makes it a bit more natural for me to pick the Packers.

The history of the Packers franchise is obviously amazing and makes them easy to pick. I am an UPSTATE New Yorker (not a city boy) and look forward to making the trek out to storied Lambeau field some time in the next few years.

This all feels a little odd to me as I'm sure you guys can imagine. I'm hoping that participating in the online discussions will help me become more familiar with the current team and feel like more of a "real fan". Not sure how this will all work out, but I'm all-in, so to speak. Today will be my first Sunday as a fan.

Go Pack GO!

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending upon your posts, you may well have folks telling you that you're NOT a 'real fan'. :)

NYPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending upon your posts, you may well have folks telling you that you're NOT a 'real fan'. :)
Am I a "real fan" at this point? I think that could be a fair statement given how I arrived at this point, at least for now. I never thought I'd switch teams, but you can only take so much for so long. Certainly I don't plan on changing again - one change in a lifetime is all you get IMO.

The Jets were like a part of me, I hope the Pack becomes the same. As for my posts, I'll probably do more reading than posting at first.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just gently yanking some chains. :) Some here (and on every sports forum) will tell you that, if you don't like the GM, coach, players, plays, uniforms or whatever, that you're not a real fan. Actually, Jets fans are the only ones who can say that, now. :) If the Packer Gory Years had reached 30 years, I'm not so sure I wouldn't have eventually left the fold, myself.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Am I a "real fan" at this point? I think that could be a fair statement given how I arrived at this point, at least for now. I never thought I'd switch teams, but you can only take so much for so long. Certainly I don't plan on changing again - one change in a lifetime is all you get IMO.

The Jets were like a part of me, I hope the Pack becomes the same. As for my posts, I'll probably do more reading than posting at first.

Welcome to the forum.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were times in the 70's and 80's I also contemplated switching teams, but realized I would always be looking over my shoulder watching what Green Bay was doing.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure hope so, but let's file that reply away for a while and see what happens downstream. If a decision like yours had been made right after Phil Bengston's first year...

Dr Venkman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys, guess I should introduce myself here. I've been a fan since 2007, a member here since 2012 but haven't used the forum much.

I started following the Packers after the 2007 international series, when I got really interested in the NFL.

At the time, I used to post on a music forum which had a lot of US based members. I told them all I was looking for an NFL team that was similar to my hometown soccer team, Newcastle United. So I was looking for strong historical achievement, not so much recent success (relatively), and most importantly a strong home and away following. A couple of people recommended the Packers, I watched Brett lead the team in a couple of games, read up on the fan ownership of the club, and I was hooked!

Thenry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I became a packer fan 2 years ago when my son Mitchell Henry was picked up as as a Undrafted free agent. He is no longer with the team however he and his wife fell in love with the team, coaching staff , and the community. I am responding to this post today to ask all Packers fans to please pray for Mitchell and his wife Madison. Mitchell begins treatment for recently diagnosed Acute Leukemia today. He is strong physically and in his faith but simply needs prayers for his strength and determination to work through his recovery.
Thanks Go Pack Go!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I became a packer fan 2 years ago when my son Mitchell Henry was picked up as as a Undrafted free agent. He is no longer with the team however he and his wife fell in love with the team, coaching staff , and the community. I am responding to this post today to ask all Packers fans to please pray for Mitchell and his wife Madison. Mitchell begins treatment for recently diagnosed Acute Leukemia today. He is strong physically and in his faith but simply needs prayers for his strength and determination to work through his recovery.
Thanks Go Pack Go!

Welcome to the forum. I will gladly oblige you with my prayers.

Sky King

Reaction score
Thanks Go Pack Go!
The prayers have already begun. If we can send our well-wishes to him through you via this forum or any way else please let us know. And if there's any other way we can be of help please advise.

Members online

Latest posts