What made you a Packers fan?

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Wisconsin and saw the light at an early age. Early in my marriage, my wife and I were walking out of Lambeau and she turned to me and said "That's it! I am a Packer fan! These people are great". That is a true story. She once did wear the purple and gold, but no more!
DS

Zuma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?
Grew up on the south side of Chicago during the Lombard/ Halas era and the classic battles between the bears and packers. As a young kid I grew up excited about the pack and their history and the rivalry.

Zuma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grew up on the south side of Chicago during the Lombard/ Halas era and the classic battles between the bears and packers. As a young kid I grew up excited about the pack and their history and the rivalry.
As a 5 year old kid it was the color of their uniform. Honestly

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packer Fandom is unbelievable. With that said, it's curious who would remain a die hard and keep their tickets if the team went down the tube.

Not sure, but the 81,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets would be interested to know.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in 1959 and raised in the 1960s.
I have a two-volume hard cover edition of Vince Lombardi on Football. It will be scattered with my ashes.
I remember loving the sight of the green and gold in Sports Illustrated.
During the lean years of the 70s and 80s, I used to pretend the Edmonton Eskimos of the CFL were the Packers because of the jersey similarities.
I had better go eat breakfast now or this entry will be Tolstoyesque.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Born and raised in Ohio....huge football fan growing up and collecting football cards. First Packer memory was 8 years old and collecting 1988 Topps Packers cards because of the "G" on the helmet, as that was the first letter in my first name haha.

Started truly following the Packers in 1996 during the magical run to the Lombardi Trophy...haven't looked back since.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Born and raised in Ohio....huge football fan growing up and collecting football cards. First Packer memory was 8 years old and collecting 1988 Topps Packers cards because of the "G" on the helmet, as that was the first letter in my first name haha.

Started truly following the Packers in 1996 during the magical run to the Lombardi Trophy...haven't looked back since.
...........Your parents named you Guano?!?!?! After bat poop?!??!

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in 1988 in North Carolina, and raised in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Down here we begin playing football at a very early age and I started when I was 6, in 1994. By the time I was 8 years old and really beginning to come into my own as a football fan, I developed a deep admiration Brett Favre. He was Southern, like me. Played QB, like me, and at the time, I thought I played as tough as he was. He was someone that I not only looked up to, but thought at the time, that I could emulate. From that point on, I became fanatic. As I got a little older, my mother married my stepfather and he was from Wisconsin, as was his family. They seemed to keep me well stocked in Packer gear.

Now it all seems to come full circle. I have a 6 year old son of my own playing football and loving the Packers as well. He's got one of my old jersey's from when I was a child and a Packer blanket my wife made me when we were dating in high school. That blanket accompanied me on many years through college and the military, and it was in his crib the day I brought him home. I've been to Packer games at Carolina, Atlanta and Washington but unlike most here, I've never been to Lambeau Field. I hope to change that very soon with my little guy at my side. This ol' Southern Boy will bundle up.

HitchPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morning all,

First post on the forum and figured this was as good a place as any to do it.

I grew up between the island of Cyprus (dad was in the forces) and London, England and now live in a little town in Hertfordshire. My mum went to college in the UK with a woman from Wisconsin, they kept in touch and when I was 12 (1996) we went to visit her and her family just outside Milwaukee. We travelled all over the state over the course of a month and my dad and I spent a lot of evenings in motels watching American TV: stock car racing, baseball, football highlights etc. The Packers had won the Super Bowl that year and were all over the TV. My dad and I had no idea of this crazy looking sport but were captivated by the green and gold action. Over the course of our trip I bought a few bits of memorabilia, including a large pennant, to take back to Cyprus to show my friends.

Anyway I largely forgot about football for spell because there was no internet and only one TV channel and to be honest I was all about the other kind of football (soccer, to you guys) and was avidly supporting my home town club Tottenham Hotspur. But then I moved to the UK to go to university and NFL was becoming quite a thing. I've always been keen to follow teams that I have a link to, either personally or geographically, so when I realised there were NFL fans at university I called my dad and got him to send my me pennant to proudly display on my wall (and try to help score chicks). Might have worked if they knew what the h*ll American Football was...

Fast forward a few years (13 to be precise), I'm now a massive cheesehead; watch every game either in realtime or on GamePass; resist the urge to draft all the Packers in my fantasy football teams; and have an office decked out with it's own little Lambeau Corner as I call it complete with a Packers foam fist, a cheesehead koozie holding my pens, eBay bought programmes from '89, '90' and '91 framed on the wall, a flag my friend from Neenah got me from Brett Favre's Packers HoF ceremony and a figurine of my boy Clay Matthews and it's all down to the fact that my mum went to college with a cheesehead in the '70s. There's also a 20 year old pennant in decent shape hanging in my beer brewing shed...

Apologies for the ramble, but as you can tell I love my Packers. The dream one day is to get over to Lambeau Field for a game and tailgate with the NFL's finest fans.

Go Pack Go.

Sky King

Reaction score
Great narrative, HitchPack. Again, welcome to the eclectic, global fan base of the Green Bay Packers. BTW, my son and I met a fellow from the UK and his son, (now our lifelong friends) while attending a game at Lambeau back in December of 2004. A late season game is a right of passage. :tup:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Welcome aboard HitchPack. Was fun to read your story and how a visit to our State, in the off season no less, led to your love of the Packers. The Packers do have some great fans and its always nice to see that the fan base spreads around the globe!

HitchPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheers guys - appreciate the love.

A late season game at Lambeau is on my bucket list thats for sure.

Arkaign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main team is Dallas, but I also became a pack fan during the Favre era. Couldn't not be excited about such a gutsy player, and so I've always been a bit cheesy since :D Plus, with Dallas being awful for about two decades, it is nice to be able to pull for someone that isn't constantly 8-8.

Interesting game today, I'm always a bit conflicted when it's Dallas v GB, I just pull for there being no injuries and am happy either way. I do think the Pack will rebound solidly. Hoyer threw for 300+ yards today but zero TDs, and the Bears lost by 1 against Jax, so that should be a very winnable game going into a baby bye (Thursday to a 10 day week until Sunday).

Dakarii007

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I moved here from a different country and the only kid who didn't make fun of me and treated me with dignity was a huge packer fan. He taught me everything I know about football.

Fozastuta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi there.

Clue is in my name that I'm an Englishman.

First fell in love with the Packers only a matter of weeks ago, to be honest. Slowly got into NFL in the last year and didn't really root for anyone in particular.

But I started developing an affinity with Lambeau Field when I saw a game televised there. Looked like a really beautiful arena to watch a game. Then I read up on the history of the Pack and the general team ethos and culture and I was increasingly drawn to them.

Watched a few documentaries about them and about Brett Favre and I was completely swung for them.

They remind me of my Premier League team, Everton.

Gusty fans, loyal and devoted to their team. Sometimes times are hard, but there's a love for the team and the sport. Beautiful and historical stadium, a history that is worth remembering, with a future that can sometimes be uncertain as regards winning seasons, etc.

A perfect fit for me!

Long suffering Everton season ticket holder in the Bullens road here Pal, i certainly find watching the Packers easier.

Welcome to the forum.

Members online

Latest posts