What Kind Of Defense Do We Have?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heading into Week 14 we are around the middle of the field for most yardage-based defensive statistics, the sixth best for points allowed, and fifth best for turnover ratio. However, we're tied with the Vikings at #22 for takeaways but our offense doesn't turn the ball over much- 1st place. Keeping the other team from scoring is job number one and we're doing that pretty well.

We definitely have holes. Our D-line plays inspired at times yet lazy at others. There's a revolving door at ILB and our DBs need to stay healthy. However, I certainly think that this is a playoff caliber defense. In fact I believe that it is the type of defense that could win a Super Bowl. It's not the type of defense that can win a Super Bowl by itself against a good team, but it can hold its own against teams like the Lions.

If this offense starts playing up to capability, I think that this defense has the tools to win the Super Bowl.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree from what I have seen for the most part... I think playoff time they may come out inspired as well. Hopefully.

I will say this though, I'm looking to that Arizona game to a good feeling about the defense. They have preformed well at times and held us in it last week. But I have also seem them revert back to the no pressure, no coverage skills defense I have witnessed in the past.

So I will hold my judgement till we play a LEGIT Top 5 nfl quarterback again.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not as thrilled with this defense as some seem to be.
The biggest problem is inconsistency. They'll look very good for stretches, very bad for others. Very good against so-so offences and QB's, very bad vs the good ones. They'll shut down an opponent for nearly an entire game, then maddeningly not be able to get a stop on a key play or get off the field on a long drive when most needed.
The two Lions games this year are good examples. In the first, the Packers had momentum, with the Lions in 3rd and 9. Megatron of all people gets open. First down and the Lions are off on a time consuming 80 yard TD march that ends up being the deciding points.
Again in the rematch; Lions in 3rd and forever, converted over the middle. Then Peppers lines up offsides. Lions eat up a big chunk of time and we need a football miracle to win.
This D has one true impact player(Matthews) and one who used to be and now only makes impact plays now and then.
The rest is too much potential and JAGS.
When push comes to shove, and especially in the playoffs, I'm not comfortable counting on this defense to carry the day.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know he never gets open and never makes plays! How could our defense let this happen! :roflmao:

Point being, especially in the situation I referenced , shouldn't a guy like Megatron be a focus to stop and not allowed to be wide open?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point being, especially in the situation I referenced , shouldn't a guy like Megatron be a focus to stop and not allowed to be wide open?

I do agree with you, also the awareness has been low at times. I remember multiple times of 2nd and 20... What is the most obvious call. A screen. Yep they run it for 15 yards. How do you not see this coming?

Also third and longs have nearly given me an aneurysm at this point. How many 3 and 10 plus are you going to allow in 1 season.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our biggest problems are definitely 3rd downs and sacking the QB. There's been so many opportunities for sacks, and somehow it ends up with the QB running for 8-10 yards. Drives me crazy.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our biggest problems are definitely 3rd downs and sacking the QB. There's been so many opportunities for sacks, and somehow it ends up with the QB running for 8-10 yards. Drives me crazy.
I've also noticed how the opposing defensive line usually pushes the OL into Rodgers' lap, and make the pocket congested even when they don't get a sack. It looks like our D line runs into a brick wall on most passing plays.

Reaction score
I think it's the reverse of last year as far as our Offense catching up with our Defensive ranking. If our Offense can make a respectable improvement by January and get more cohesive by playoffs (say 27 pts/game avg.) I think this D is good enough to slow a good Offense down and for us to create an upset. Our D also could use help with Time of possession
GB Opponent time of possession 30:52
Arizona " " = 27:30
Minnesota. " " = 29:40
Denver " " = 30:12
Cincinnati " " = 29:36

In a game that is often decided by the 2 minute offense in the 4th qtr. Letting our opponent have 1 minute more while we have 1 minute less doesn't aid our D. Having a +6 turnover ratio shouldn't create a loss of time of possession by our Offense it should conceivably be just the opposite.

I think our Defense is ranked appropriately at #6 scoring.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not as thrilled with this defense as some seem to be.
The biggest problem is inconsistency. They'll look very good for stretches, very bad for others. Very good against so-so offences and QB's, very bad vs the good ones. They'll shut down an opponent for nearly an entire game, then maddeningly not be able to get a stop on a key play or get off the field on a long drive when most needed.
The two Lions games this year are good examples. In the first, the Packers had momentum, with the Lions in 3rd and 9. Megatron of all people gets open. First down and the Lions are off on a time consuming 80 yard TD march that ends up being the deciding points.
Again in the rematch; Lions in 3rd and forever, converted over the middle. Then Peppers lines up offsides. Lions eat up a big chunk of time and we need a football miracle to win.
This D has one true impact player(Matthews) and one who used to be and now only makes impact plays now and then.
The rest is too much potential and JAGS.
When push comes to shove, and especially in the playoffs, I'm not comfortable counting on this defense to carry the day.

The 3rd and 12 was more a great throw by Stafford than a bad play by the defense.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon had a great interception at the end of the Browns/Ravens game. Unfortunately his kicker got Crosby'd at the end.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon had a great interception at the end of the Browns/Ravens game. Unfortunately his kicker got Crosby'd at the end.

OMG but did you see him "attempt" covering Eifert in the Bengals game... SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Bad. I have a Williams jersey as a matter of fact and almost cut it up to use it as oil rag after that game. Embarassing.

I actually miss Woodson's leadership or Nick Collins more than either House or Williams play though.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams and House

Who misses them

Not I. I actually like Rollins and
Randall more than I thought I would at this point. Both guys are great athletes who really dont make a lot of rookie mistakes. Randall was our best Db IMO until he got hurt and Rollins has shown he's actually better than Hyde so......he definitely needs to be playing more.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not I. I actually like Rollins and
Randall more than I thought I would at this point. Both guys are great athletes who really dont make a lot of rookie mistakes. Randall was our best Db IMO until he got hurt and Rollins has shown he's actually better than Hyde so......he definitely needs to be playing more.

The best thing is that both still have big upsides.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who doesn't miss these two?

Woodson is still good today. TT made a huge mistake IMO. Not only his play making but his leadership. He gets guys to play at a higher level. The SB year I remember several players talk about how they had to win that game for Woodson...including Rodgers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's early but it certainly looks like Thompson & staff hit on both Randall and Rollins (the caveat is Hayward looked like a fantastic pick after his rookie year, now not so much). The two rookies and Shields should give the Packers three good to very good cover CBs. And Goodson has the "measurables" – combination of decent size and speed and I’m still intrigued by Gunter who, while he lacks speed is big for a CB and showed very good instincts in preseason. IMO the Packers are also set at starting safety and Hyde is under contract for next year.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's early but it certainly looks like Thompson & staff hit on both Randall and Rollins (the caveat is Hayward looked like a fantastic pick after his rookie year, now not so much). The two rookies and Shields should give the Packers three good to very good cover CBs. And Goodson has the "measurables" – combination of decent size and speed and I’m still intrigued by Gunter who, while he lacks speed is big for a CB and showed very good instincts in preseason. IMO the Packers are also set at starting safety and Hyde is under contract for next year.

I understand- and agree with- your caution here, but I don't think we'll have to worry. Randall and Rollins , as good and pro ready as they've looked, still have big upsides. Hayward was always limited.
As to Shields, he has quietly had a very, very good season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DNA - not arguing, just interested. As a guy who doesn't delve too deeply into the individual millionaires wearing my team's colors, the vibe I got from Hayward early on was pretty much the same as the two kids this year. What about Hayward made him limited from the outset?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DNA - not arguing, just interested. As a guy who doesn't delve too deeply into the individual millionaires wearing my team's colors, the vibe I got from Hayward early on was pretty much the same as the two kids this year. What about Hayward made him limited from the outset?

Smallish, not overly fast, has problems with double moves and change of direction. Hayward was 'protected', put in positions that played to his strengths and covered his shortcomings. His problems doing anything else, such as playing outside , have been well documented here and elsewhere.