What Kind Of Defense Do We Have?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smallish, not overly fast, has problems with double moves and change of direction. Hayward was 'protected', put in positions that played to his strengths and covered his shortcomings. His problems doing anything else, such as playing outside , have been well documented here and elsewhere.

Don't remember most of that from his first year, but maybe it was there. Certainly the last couple of years have brought this out.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even in the article, have a tough time finding fault with his rookie year, but thanks.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In the jsonline article on Hayward, Capers says his ball skills are the same but he hasn't had as many opportunities. Here are some stats listed in that article:
The snap count for the five top cover men are 696 for Hayward, 685 for Shields, 558 for Hyde, 548 for Randall and 136 for Rollins. Shields, Randall and Rollins have two interceptions each, and Hyde has one. Hayward's only interception came against Kansas City but was wiped out by penalty. Despite having the most snaps, Hayward ranks fourth in passes defensed with six. Randall has 13, Shields has 11, Rollins also has six and Hyde has five. Hayward has allowed 5½ passes of 20 yards or more and one touchdown pass.
IMO he's clearly not as good outside as Randall is - and I'd bet on Rollins being better suited outside as well. Even when Hayward has been the nickel since his rookie season he hasn't shown the same instincts for the ball - maybe it was the injury or teams being more aware of his strengths but he certainly looks like the odd man out next season.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-quite-on-the-ball-b99632484z1-361650461.html

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense is based around stopping the run and depending on a deep secondary to help an average pass rush hold teams on third down. Football Outsiders (through week 13) has the Packer's with the sixth best front-seven against the run and the 14th ranked pass rushing front-seven. Not sure how that will change after the Dallas game but it fits with what the defense looks like during a game.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, the defense showed me something tonight. I'm not *too* doubtful any more.

Really? It scared me more lol.

They allowed what 8.6 per carry. I don't know how they bottle up AP one week, then let McFadden look like a hall of famer the next.

Mc Fadden 9 for 111
Turbin 7 for 51

Maybe it was part of the game plan to not be concerned with the rush D.

And I will say this, they show a ton of potential. If they can get consistent, this could be a beastly defense. Especially if Randall can keep his arrow going up. He has been highly impressive.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? It scared me more lol.

They allowed what 8.6 per carry. I don't know how they bottle up AP one week, then let McFadden look like a hall of famer the next.

Mc Fadden 9 for 111
Turbin 7 for 51

Maybe it was part of the game plan to not be concerned with the rush D.

And I will say this, they show a ton of potential. If they can get consistent, this could be a beastly defense. Especially if Randall can keep his arrow going up. He has been highly impressive.

Two big plays and 7 points total is nothing to afraid of. McFadden was stopped well other than the two runs. It's not like he ran wild all night.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers said the long runs were the result of bad fits- busted assignments up front.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The thing I like about this defense is the number of TFL's and 0-1 yard runs. They've done a very good job imo of keeping down and distance in their favor.
My biggest concern is that the safeties create very few turnovers. The young corners have been terrific for rookies. Like them both a lot.

Reaction score
In the jsonline article on Hayward, Capers says his balls skills are the same but he hasn't had as many opportunities. Here are some stats listed in that article: IMO he's clearly not as good outside as Randall is - and I'd bet on Rollins being better suited outside as well. Even when Hayward has been the nickel since his rookie season he hasn't shown the same instincts for the ball - maybe it was the injury or teams being more aware of his strengths but he certainly looks like the odd man out next season.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-quite-on-the-ball-b99632484z1-361650461.html
Yeah, I caught that statement earlier also by Capers about Hayward not having enough opportunities. It doesn't seem to hold up as a reliable excuse. Lol

Reaction score
I think our D allowing limited scoring overall is telling. In 13 games our D has allowed more than 23 pts just 3 times
1. 28 to KC
2. 29 to Denver
3. 38 to Carolina.

1. Considering We were beating KC 31-14 in the 4th quarter I see example the KC game more as mitigating Damages to close the game out.
During the Denver game our Offense scored a paltry 10 pts, which equates to our D being on the field all day. That ones on our Offense not CM3 n Co.
The only game our D was manhandled was a road game at #1 ranked Carolina. I think a second meeting is arguably gonna be closer, especially if we keep our running game and short passing game improving and manage the clock better. I remember the same thing happening at Seattle last year where we were dominated week 1. But we seem to be more resilient in January

Sky King

Reaction score
Starting with McCarthy himself, the coaches are very supportive of the players and they rarely ever say anything mildly critical about anyone, let alone blatantly critical. Of course, getting cut mid-season is pretty powerful stuff, words or no words.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is average. Pass rush has all but disappeared since week 5 with exception of the Vikings porous o line. The next time they face a competent qb they will be lit up even though coverage has been getting better. I also like the two young corners but Hayward is looking like another high draft pick bust. The main reason why points per game looks better than average is that Rodgers rarely throws picks so that the defense usually defends a long field. Throw in a lot of bad weather games and 4 games against Cutty and the queens and you can see why the points per game star is misleading. That stat tells you more about The offense not turning the ball over than the quality of the defense. The defense will melt against a quality opponent in the playoffs

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is average. Pass rush has all but disappeared since week 5 with exception of the Vikings porous o line. The next time they face a competent qb they will be lit up even though coverage has been getting better. I also like the two young corners but Hayward is looking like another high draft pick bust. The main reason why points per game looks better than average is that Rodgers rarely throws picks so that the defense usually defends a long field. Throw in a lot of bad weather games and 4 games against Cutty and the queens and you can see why the points per game star is misleading. That stat tells you more about The offense not turning the ball over than the quality of the defense. The defense will melt against a quality opponent in the playoffs
It's ironic how they have Matthews, brought in another pass rusher in Peppers, and now have a top paid DE in Mike Daniels, yet the opposing O Line rarely budges an inch during passing downs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think going 3 and out 9 times I a game is an offense helping its defense? Or how about losing yards on 5 out of 6 first Half possessions? Our offense has barely helped this defense this year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's ironic how they have Matthews, brought in another pass rusher in Peppers, and now have a top paid DE in Mike Daniels, yet the opposing O Line rarely budges an inch during passing downs.
I don’t know what you’re watching. The Packers are tied for 7th in sacks and tied for 6th in Football Outsiders adjusted sack rate. They’re 10th in SportingCharts total defensive hurries. They are 11th in average passing yards surrendered/game. None of those stats are perfect reflections of what happens on the field but the pressure on opposing QBs puts the Packers somewhere in the upper third of the league in that regard and has helped them rank 7th in opponents QB ratings.

They aren't the '85 Bears D, but if you are seeing opposing OLs rarely budging on passing plays perhaps you should get an eye exam or sit closer to the TV? ;)

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know what you’re watching. The Packers are tied for 7th in sacks and tied for 6th in Football Outsiders adjusted sack rate. They’re 10th in SportingCharts total defensive hurries. They are 11th in average passing yards surrendered/game. None of those stats are perfect reflections of what happens on the field but the pressure on opposing QBs puts the Packers somewhere in the upper third of the league in that regard and has helped them rank 7th in opponents QB ratings.

They aren't the '85 Bears D, but if you are seeing opposing OLs rarely budging on passing plays perhaps you should get an eye exam or sit closer to the TV? ;)
Almost all of the Packers sacks came in the first 5 games. Since then I have been watching and the d line is not getting pressure. That's another reason why interceptions are below average this season. The pass rush has all but disappeared. With thevexception of a blown assignment they would have been shut out vs Dallas. What about the Denver game where was the pass rush then? They could have used a pass rush on Thansgiving, especially in the first half when the Bears scored their 2 tds.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two big plays and 7 points total is nothing to afraid of. McFadden was stopped well other than the two runs. It's not like he ran wild all night.

People keep saying that "well it was only two big runs". Isn't that what big rushing days are all about? Not to mention, that theory completely leaves out the 7-51 or 7.28 yards per carry by Turbin. Also I think the score was limited mostly by horrid play of Cassel.

I'm not saying it is "The sky is falling time". But this isn't an aberration either.

Packers defense ranks

23rd in rushing yards per game allowed
Tied for 27th in yards per carry
and 24th in rushing touchdowns allowed

Members online

Latest posts