What if Brett comes back?

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I'm past caring if he comes back or not. I LOVE our team right now, and I couldn't be happier with the outlook for next season. To me the Packers now are at the same spot we were in 93 and 94, when we lost three years in a row in the playoffs before winning the big one. Not saying we are going to lose 3 years in a row, but I think we are at the beginning of something special. If Favre comes back....so be it. I would love to see him go to Cleveland and reunite with Holmgren. He could make Cleveland really good for half a season....get all the Browns' fans hopes up....and then crush their spirits.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre would make any team that has no great qb better.

I just think we will be better next year than the Vikings anyway.

And that, as he's old and has the tendency to think he can do it all anytime, he doesn't improve their chances much at postseason.

But him at regular season, it's a battle to see who's the #1 in the North.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Favre would make any team better.

Really?? Damn, I wish we could dump Rodgers and beg Brett to return. I bet the Colts are cursing not having him too. Screw Manning.

Yeah, teams with no good option are better off with a 40+ year old QB on a mission to prove the Packers wrong. Others, not so much.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Favre would make any team better.

I just think we will be better next year than the Vikings anyway.

And that, as he's old and has the tendency to think he can do it all anytime, he doesn't improve their chances much at postseason.

But him at regular season, it's a battle to see who's the #1 in the North.

I must admit I want him to come back just so Rodgers can have two more cracks at him.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really?? Damn, I wish we could dump Rodgers and beg Brett to return. I bet the Colts are cursing not having him too. Screw Manning.

Yeah, teams with no good option are better off with a 40+ year old QB on a mission to prove the Packers wrong. Others, not so much.
Sorry, sorry! Corrected my post.

I don't know about good options. What's a good option at qb to you?

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I don't know about good options. What's a good option at qb to you?

IMO, there are only so many spots a 40+ QB who changes his mind about retiring like people change their socks has that make sense.

IMO, the Vikes are the perfect example. Good team, missing a good QB. A team whose time is now and whose window of opportunity is closing. If the QB is the missing piece it makes sense. It made sense in NY last year too, even though Pennington had a better season in Miami. Nobody would have seen that coming.

It doesn't make sense on any other contender that already has a good QB. Jeopardizing team chemistry just isn't worth a slight upgrade at one position. It doesn't make any sense on teams with no good QB but no chance to win it all. Teams with no chance need to be trying to find and develop a franchise QB not wasting years with a stop gap who will help them to 8-8 instead of 5-11...

Does that make any sense? In short, there is a really short list in the NFL right now that Brett Favre makes sense for. It is what made the Vikes' scoffing at the tampering charges a couple of years ago a hoot. It is what made their eventual actions say all that needed to be said about the likelihood that they did tamper earlier - he was their best option to make it to the Super Bowl. Most other teams simply could not make that claim.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Wonder what the Jets might/could have been this year with Brent.

Hard to say... Rex Ryan is a lot of things, but ball washing chauffeur doesn't seem to be one of them. I think those two would have butted heads. At this point in his career I doubt favre would have accepted playing for a strong willed HC. Childress was perfect for him. After that Carolina game if he had went to the podium and told the world that Ryan wanted to take him out and he essentially said "lay down coach, I run **** here", I think Ryan would have ripped off his head and **** down his neck.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, there are only so many spots a 40+ QB who changes his mind about retiring like people change their socks has that make sense.

IMO, the Vikes are the perfect example. Good team, missing a good QB. A team whose time is now and whose window of opportunity is closing. If the QB is the missing piece it makes sense. It made sense in NY last year too, even though Pennington had a better season in Miami. Nobody would have seen that coming.

It doesn't make sense on any other contender that already has a good QB. Jeopardizing team chemistry just isn't worth a slight upgrade at one position. It doesn't make any sense on teams with no good QB but no chance to win it all. Teams with no chance need to be trying to find and develop a franchise QB not wasting years with a stop gap who will help them to 8-8 instead of 5-11...

Does that make any sense? In short, there is a really short list in the NFL right now that Brett Favre makes sense for. It is what made the Vikes' scoffing at the tampering charges a couple of years ago a hoot. It is what made their eventual actions say all that needed to be said about the likelihood that they did tamper earlier - he was their best option to make it to the Super Bowl. Most other teams simply could not make that claim.
I agree with your point.

I think Favre could make almost any team better. For now.

But for the franchise's sake, he'd only fit at contenders who had an aged team, and no great option at QB.

I'll try to compile teams which he would be an immediate improvement (considering the progression of the current QB and the age Favre would have), compile teams in which he would be a perfect fit, and teams that he would improve, but has 0 chance of landing there.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFC North:
Bears: Improve right now, but not a viable option.
Lions: Same
Packers: Wouldn't improve.
Vikings: Perfect match.

NFC South:
Atlanta: Wouldn't improve.
Carolina: Perfect match
New Orleand: Wouldn't improve
Tampa Bay: Improve, but not a viable option

NFC West:
Redskins: Perfect match
Giants: Wouldn't improve
Eagles: Perfect match
Dallas: Would improve, but not viable

NFC East
Arizona: With Warner, wouldn't improve. Without, would improve. Don't know if it's a viable option, think they'll still hang onto Leinart.
SF: Good match, but doubt it'd happen
Rams: Would greatly improve, but not viable.
Seahawks: Would greatly improve, but not viable.

AFC North:
Baltimore: Would improve, but not viable.
Pittsburgh: Would've improve.
Cincinatti: Wouldn't improve.
Browns: Would greatly improve, but not viable.

AFC South:
Colts: Wouldn't improve
Jags: Perfect fit
Texans: Would improve, but not viable (They really like Schaub, who's a very good QB).
Titans: Would improve, but not viable.

AFC East
Buffalo: Perfect fit.
New England: Wouldn't improve
Miami: Wouldn't improve
Jets: Wouldn't imrpove

AFC West:
San diego: wouldn't improve
Raiders: Perfect fit.
Broncos: Would improve, but not viable
Chiefs: Would improve, but not viable

-

So, IMO he could land in Minnesota, Carolina, Washington, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Jacksonville, Buffalo and Oakland.

If anyone has anything to add, critique, or question, feel free to do it.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF he does come back, the Saints showed what you do to win. You hit him, even if he gets the ball out for the first 3 quarters and even if it gets you flaged a couple of times, you hit him.

If he does come back next year, Capers may play him a little different. I think thats what Woodson was upset about, Woodson new BF would beat the blitz and make some amazing plays, but after 3 quarters of play of getting hit, BF will throw that INT. You can't let him sit back there and throw. I think Arizona did the same thing against the vikings, put presure on him and hit him.

It is so clear, the biggest weakness BF has is his age. Arm strength and knowing who is open is not a problem.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
NFC North:
Bears: Improve right now, but not a viable option.
Lions: Same
Packers: Wouldn't improve.
Vikings: Perfect match.

NFC South:
Atlanta: Wouldn't improve.
Carolina: Perfect match
New Orleand: Wouldn't improve
Tampa Bay: Improve, but not a viable option

NFC West:
Redskins: Perfect match
Giants: Wouldn't improve
Eagles: Perfect match
Dallas: Would improve, but not viable

NFC East
Arizona: With Warner, wouldn't improve. Without, would improve. Don't know if it's a viable option, think they'll still hang onto Leinart.
SF: Good match, but doubt it'd happen
Rams: Would greatly improve, but not viable.
Seahawks: Would greatly improve, but not viable.

AFC North:
Baltimore: Would improve, but not viable.
Pittsburgh: Would've improve.
Cincinatti: Wouldn't improve.
Browns: Would greatly improve, but not viable.

AFC South:
Colts: Wouldn't improve
Jags: Perfect fit
Texans: Would improve, but not viable (They really like Schaub, who's a very good QB).
Titans: Would improve, but not viable.

AFC East
Buffalo: Perfect fit.
New England: Wouldn't improve
Miami: Wouldn't improve
Jets: Wouldn't imrpove

AFC West:
San diego: wouldn't improve
Raiders: Perfect fit.
Broncos: Would improve, but not viable
Chiefs: Would improve, but not viable

-

So, IMO he could land in Minnesota, Carolina, Washington, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Jacksonville, Buffalo and Oakland.

Good list but I don't see how he improves Buffalo, Washington or Oakland to the level that would justify it. I agree with Minny, Carolina, San Fran and Jax. In Philly it depends on what Donovan does.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think if he comes back the Vikings are really, really good again. I don't think he has as good a year as this year, but 30 TD's and 15 picks isn't out of the question.

Unless teams decide to murder him like New Orleans did, then we might see the streak end.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must admit I want him to come back just so Rodgers can have two more cracks at him.
Again, we think alike APackerFan.
That's the only reason why I would want to see Fail return too.
And not just for A-Rod to have a shot but for the D-line to rip him apart the way the Saints did.

As well as to hear the fans at Lambeau boo him one more time.
That was music to my ears.
:band:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good list but I don't see how he improves Buffalo, Washington or Oakland to the level that would justify it. I agree with Minny, Carolina, San Fran and Jax. In Philly it depends on what Donovan does.
Why is there any discussion at all about Burnt going to another team?
He signed a 2 yr contract with Minny.
:rules:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF he does come back, the Saints showed what you do to win. You hit him, even if he gets the ball out for the first 3 quarters and even if it gets you flaged a couple of times, you hit him.

If he does come back next year, Capers may play him a little different. I think thats what Woodson was upset about, Woodson new BF would beat the blitz and make some amazing plays, but after 3 quarters of play of getting hit, BF will throw that INT. You can't let him sit back there and throw. I think Arizona did the same thing against the vikings, put presure on him and hit him.

It is so clear, the biggest weakness BF has is his age. Arm strength and knowing who is open is not a problem.
Now, did his former teammates really wanted to hurt him? We all saw Nick Barnett saying to the camera and stuff, but was it for real or was it a joke?

Capers played wrongly against every old qb, and should re-think his strategy. Starting by staying awake during the whole game.

Why is there any discussion at all about Burnt going to another team?
He signed a 2 yr contract with Minny.
:rules:
He signed a 2 yr contract with the Jets also.
Indeed. Minnesota would have to release him, and frankly I just don't think they're as stupid as the Jets are.
Favre retires before the draft, the Vikings draft a qb. One week before the season, Favre wants to come back.

Are you saying that there's no way they would release him, after commiting to a future franchise QB, and knowing he'll need to start, and by no means will tutor the kid?

Just a scenario showing that they very well could release him.

Though I'd expect if he comes back it would be with the Vikings, 95%.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think Minnesota would put him on the Reserve/Retired list, and if he forced their hand then maybe they would get rid of him.

They won't let him go until he forces them to, like in Green Bay.

If he for whatever reason gets out of Minnesota and still wants to play, I see him as a Panther.

PApackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who cares if he comes back. I dont miss him, Rodgers proved himself to me, i think were better off without him(favre) anyway. He can play for the Vikes, bunch of sourpuss's, wont make a difference he'll still lose the games for them like he did for us.
as a side note: it would be nice to pound on him one more season...maybe have a packer end his career for good, just so it can end this nfl qb drama dilemma. the man needs to be a commentator, get rid of Joe Buck(he sux) n put him up their wit Troy. Hell i love to hear them two go at it, especially with bretts humor.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm past caring if he comes back or not. I LOVE our team right now, and I couldn't be happier with the outlook for next season. To me the Packers now are at the same spot we were in 93 and 94, when we lost three years in a row in the playoffs before winning the big one. Not saying we are going to lose 3 years in a row, but I think we are at the beginning of something special. If Favre comes back....so be it. I would love to see him go to Cleveland and reunite with Holmgren. He could make Cleveland really good for half a season....get all the Browns' fans hopes up....and then crush their spirits.

If Brett comes back, I'm all :) !!!

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
So, in your mind, it's better for a QB to not even get his team into a position to dance? Doesn't make much sense to me, but if it helps ya git thru the nite, rock on! :)

Being in that position doesn't matter if you consistently make big errors that directly results in your teams loss. He has choked every year in the playoffs except 96.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who cares if he comes back. I dont miss him, Rodgers proved himself to me, i think were better off without him(favre) anyway. He can play for the Vikes, bunch of sourpuss's, wont make a difference he'll still lose the games for them like he did for us.
as a side note: it would be nice to pound on him one more season...maybe have a packer end his career for good, just so it can end this nfl qb drama dilemma. the man needs to be a commentator, get rid of Joe Buck(he sux) n put him up their wit Troy. Hell i love to hear them two go at it, especially with bretts humor.
I agree.

If Burnt does come back to play it will be with the Vikes again.
With them he got the closest to the SB this year. Why fix it if it ain't broke? :listen:

Members online

Latest posts