What do you REALLY think Rodgers would garner in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. I’ve done many interactive Mocks and it’s getting me to look at that particular player I drafted in a pinch that I knew very little about. Last night I did a Mock where I switched with Steelers our first pick and kicked them a Day 3 fir their #80. Anyway the strangest thing happened. Before I knew it I had drafted:
WR Smith-Njigba
TE Maher
TE Washington
WR Jalin Hyatt.

I did use an #80 Overall packaged with a 2nd (acquired from Day 1 swap back Steelers +Day 3)
to get Mayer at #31 because he slipped some.

Smith-Njigba was there at our initial #17 selection.

I spent a #116 to move up slightly and get Jalin Hyatt with Raiders (#38)

Darnell Washington fell right into our lap at #41 overall and I was actually trying to avoid him the selection before because I had just went haywire on Mayer. I just had to take Darnell I swear he was smiling at me!! I didn’t really intend to go that heavy on Offense at all. It was totally unintentional and it was the only mock I had of like 50 of them with 4 Offensive players to start. It’s mostly the way the board fell. Talk about an injection of talent to spark Jordan.

Can you imagine the look on Rodgers face if we really did that?!:laugh:
It would almost all be worth it
Sorry, this was a butt-response that I hadn't intended to post as I had no opinion or witty response. :(

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Malik Taylor is on the Jets roster. If they sign Cobb, AR would have 3 WR's that he is very familiar with. I would think that Garrett Wilson could be be part of the trade package and AR will do just fine with Lazard, Cobb and Malik. :whistling:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a risky move by the Packers as they could end up stuck with Rodgers if they wait too long to agree to a trade with the Jets and they pull out of it at some point.
How does trading Rodgers before June 1 impact our cap for both 2023 and 2024?

D

Deleted member 6794

I would think the Jets would want Rodgers on the team sooner than later for the 2023 season. OTOH it sounds like money wise it would be a lot better for The Pack if the trade happened in June. Or is that just dead cap for 2023 as opposed to 2024? A part of me would just like the dead cap to go away after 2023. Bite the bullet.

Actually, the Packers trading Rodgers before the start of the 2023 season will result in a total of $40.3 million of dead money, no matter if Rodgers is traded before or after June 1. The only difference being that if the move happens after June 1 it will create cap space for the upcoming season.

Love does need a strong line but also weapons. Rodgers had the benefit of both

The Packers definitely lacked weapons over the past few seasons. In addition Rodgers made the offensive line look better than it actually was a lot of times as well.

This roster isn't terrible and gauging Love doesn't require a different one, but it will be for sure post-draft, trade and no doubt FA

Few things on offense:

Dillon was not the same beginning of the last year but got a lot better second half.
Doubs and Watson at times looked like WR1s and other times rookies...year two is incoming.
Toure took advantage of his LIMITED chances, can he be a WR5?
Bo Melton quietly could be the slot guy given his athletic profile and MLF system
Bakh another year removed from injury...Jenkins too.
Tom into second year and I suspect will boot an OL starter out (likely Myers or Runyan)
Yosh may end up our back up RT if we go Tackle early

Defensively:

Everyone but Amos/Reed/Lowry back
Gary will be back at some point
Stokes as well

Say only half of the progressions possible hit and hit well here...that's already a better roster before any additionals added.

The Packers finished 8-9 last season and will end up having lost Rodgers, Lazard, Tonyan, Lewis, Cobb, Amos, Reed and Lowry while not adding a significant player in free agency aside of Moore so far. Considering they will have a first year starter at quarterback I don't feel overly confident in them having a ton of success.

How does trading Rodgers before June 1 impact our cap for both 2023 and 2024?

The Packers trading Rodgers before June 1 would result in dead money of $40.3 million counting against their cap in 2023. There wouldn't be any cap hit in '24 moving forward anymore though.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers finished 8-9 last season and will end up having lost Rodgers, Lazard, Tonyan, Lewis, Cobb, Amos, Reed and Lowry while not adding a significant player in free agency aside of Moore so far. Considering they will have a first year starter at quarterback I don't feel overly confident in them having a ton of success.
- Reed & Lowry were "place holders" and best options while waiting for Slaton & Wyatt to develop. IMHO '23 will be better DL play, assuming they add more young, healthy depth.
- Lazard was a #3 being counted on to be a pseudo-#1... his production will be replaced by a new #3 (with Watson & Doubs filling the #1/#2 spots - hopefully their production matches those spots?).
- Amos will be tough to replace, but have no choice but try: a rookie high pick, Douglas, or Gute strikes gold with a FA?
- Lewis, Tonyan & Cobb played a lot of snaps but their production didn't live up to the snap-totals. Hoping for an infusion of drafted talent at TE that will yield better production. Playing Lewis as much as they did the last few years was almost like playing 10 on 11. Time for MLF to create plays where it'll be 11 on 11, again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
- Reed & Lowry were "place holders" and best options while waiting for Slaton & Wyatt to develop. IMHO '23 will be better DL play, assuming they add more young, healthy depth.
- Lazard was a #3 being counted on to be a pseudo-#1... his production will be replaced by a new #3 (with Watson & Doubs filling the #1/#2 spots - hopefully their production matches those spots?).
- Amos will be tough to replace, but have no choice but try: a rookie high pick, Douglas, or Gute strikes gold with a FA?
- Lewis, Tonyan & Cobb played a lot of snaps but their production didn't live up to the snap-totals. Hoping for an infusion of drafted talent at TE that will yield better production. Playing Lewis as much as they did the last few years was almost like playing 10 on 11. Time for MLF to create plays where it'll be 11 on 11, again.
Agreed. Except for Rodgers and potentially Amos, most of the guys lost to free agency are replaceable with guys already on the team. Oh and I forgot, Mason Crosby....going to miss that guy if he isn't resigned. :D

Will Love play as well or better than Rodgers did with a broken thumb in 2022? I doubt it, it is going to take time for Love to continue to develop and for the offense to get in sync. Maybe this will be the year that we finally see the Packers starting offense get some reps in preseason?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't help but notice you didn't comment on QB last year vs. this year.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? My opinion differs greatly from many on here & I'd just open myself up for a firestorm... but if this makes you happy then my Friday is complete. IMHO there won't be much of a drop-off in QB play from '22 to '23. I'm one of the few that believe GB has it's 3rd HOF QB in a row ready to take flight.

AR has shortcomings in being too conservative with his passes and who/why he chooses to throw to some & not others. I also won't miss, for one second, the regularly occuring 30+ yd bombs on 3rd & 4.

I think Love benefited greatly by sitting and has his mechanics "fixed" along with comfort in the playbook. I think he'll play much more "within the system" and throw to the open man, not just to his favorite(s) or to those that he believes deserve the target.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why? My opinion differs greatly from many on here & I'd just open myself up for a firestorm... but if this makes you happy then my Friday is complete. IMHO there won't be much of a drop-off in QB play from '22 to '23. I'm one of the few that believe GB has it's 3rd HOF QB in a row ready to take flight.

AR has shortcomings in being too conservative with his passes and who/why he chooses to throw to some & not others.

I think Love benefited greatly by sitting and has his mechanics "fixed" along with comfort in the playbook. I think he'll play much more "within the system" and throw to the open man, not just to his favorite(s) or to those that he believes deserve the target.
I hope you are right.

I agree with a lot of what you said about Love, but I still think that he is going to go through some of the same growing pains that Rodgers and other QB's went through in their first season as a starter.

All that said, had Love been thrust into the starting role in 2020, like so many 1st round QB's are, I think it would have been a really rough start and possibly derailed his career before it even had a chance to get started. I just hope the Packers and their fans can give Love more than a few games or even a full season, to start showing what he is capable of.

Reaction score

AR has shortcomings in being too conservative with his passes and who/why he chooses to throw to some & not others. I also won't miss, for one second, the regularly occuring 30+ yd bombs on 3rd & 4.

I’m in that same thought process.
I believe inside 2 seasons Jordan can get near our 2022 like QB play. Obviously a First starting season isn’t going to look All-Pro. Yet this system doesn’t require a prolific passer to be successful.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO a slightly above average QB is better than an aging HOF QB playing with a broken thumb on his throwing hand. Physically that is. Reading the defense & knowledge of the playbook are the balance tippers.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, the Packers trading Rodgers before the start of the 2023 season will result in a total of $40.3 million of dead money, no matter if Rodgers is traded before or after June 1. The only difference being that if the move happens after June 1 it will create cap space for the upcoming season.

The Packers definitely lacked weapons over the past few seasons. In addition Rodgers made the offensive line look better than it actually was a lot of times as well.

The Packers trading Rodgers before June 1 would result in dead money of $40.3 million counting against their cap in 2023. There wouldn't be any cap hit in '24 moving forward anymore though.
So losing 8 players and adding one means you have holes to fill. Is Gute banking on 7 draft picks to be on the 53?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So losing 8 players and adding one means you have holes to fill. Is Gute banking on 7 draft picks to be on the 53?
At least 9 made the 53 in '22. 7 made it in '21. 8 in '20. 7 or 8 in '19. My #'s may be off +/-1 but the Packers historically keep most of not all of their picks.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least 9 made the 53 in '22. 7 made it in '21. 8 in '20. 7 or 8 in '19. My #'s may be off +/-1 but the Packers historically keep most of not all of their picks.
What that means is that they are only here for a few years. No wonder Rodgers and Crosby felt like grandfathers.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's anyon's guess if Wyatt and especially Slaton will be able to perform at the same level as Reed and Lowry, let alone be an upgrade over them. In addition the Packers lost depth even if that happens.

Lazard was a #3 being counted on to be a pseudo-#1... his production will be replaced by a new #3 (with Watson & Doubs filling the #1/#2 spots - hopefully their production matches those spots?).

Lazard was the most productive receiver on the team last season. While he should be a #2 at best the Packers won't adequately replace him by adding a #3 WR.

Amos will be tough to replace, but have no choice but try: a rookie high pick, Douglas, or Gute strikes gold with a FA?

MLF was pretty clear about the coaching staff having no plans on moving Douglas to safety.

Lewis, Tonyan & Cobb played a lot of snaps but their production didn't live up to the snap-totals. Hoping for an infusion of drafted talent at TE that will yield better production. Playing Lewis as much as they did the last few years was almost like playing 10 on 11. Time for MLF to create plays where it'll be 11 on 11, again.

Once again, I'm not suggesting the tight ends performed at a high level last season but at this point the roster doesn't even featured a single decent player at the position.

The Packers had to use Lewis as a blocker more often than they wanted to because the line struggled at times. They need to improve on the OL to make up for losing him as well.

Overall it's unrealistic to expect the Packers to not miss a beat considering they lost several players who played a significant amount of snaps for them while not adding any starter in free agency. Especially considering they will feature a first year starter at quarterback.

A single draft class won't be able to make up for it either.

Agreed. Except for Rodgers and potentially Amos, most of the guys lost to free agency are replaceable with guys already on the team.

Really? Which players currently on the roster will make up for the loss of Lazard, Cobb, Tonyan and Lewis?

IMHO there won't be much of a drop-off in QB play from '22 to '23.

That's completely unrealistic. Even MLF publicly mentioned it this week.

Wait a moment, was Rodgers too conservative or did he regularly throw deep bombs? You're contradicting yourself with the statement above.

IMO a slightly above average QB is better than an aging HOF QB playing with a broken thumb on his throwing hand. Physically that is.

There's no way of knowing if Love is capable of performing at an above average level though.

True, but how many of them had had a significant impact during their rookie seasons?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's anyon's guess if Wyatt and especially Slaton will be able to perform at the same level as Reed and Lowry, let alone be an upgrade over them. In addition the Packers lost depth even if that happens.

Lazard was the most productive receiver on the team last season. While he should be a #2 at best the Packers won't adequately replace him by adding a #3 WR.

MLF was pretty clear about the coaching staff having no plans on moving Douglas to safety.

Once again, I'm not suggesting the tight ends performed at a high level last season but at this point the roster doesn't even featured a single decent player at the position.

The Packers had to use Lewis as a blocker more often than they wanted to because the line struggled at times. They need to improve on the OL to make up for losing him as well.

Overall it's unrealistic to expect the Packers to not miss a beat considering they lost several players who played a significant amount of snaps for them while not adding any starter in free agency. Especially considering they will feature a first year starter at quarterback.

A single draft class won't be able to make up for it either.

Really? Which players currently on the roster will make up for the loss of Lazard, Cobb, Tonyan and Lewis?

That's completely unrealistic. Even MLF publicly mentioned it this week.

Wait a moment, was Rodgers too conservative or did he regularly throw deep bombs? You're contradicting yourself with the statement above.

There's no way of knowing if Love is capable of performing at an above average level though.

True, but how many of them had had a significant impact during their rookie seasons?
In contrast to a Brett Favre Rodgers was always very conservative. I think what they are saying is that he rarely forces a throw which has the great risk of a pick. And even then he would throw it so it was uncatchable by either side. But yes, he did opt to go long in tight coverage when all that was needed was a high percentage short throw to move the chains. I believe Rodgers still sees players like Adams. Jordy, Jennings, Driver, and Jones in his sleep. And when he looked downfield last year they were gone.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve been travelling for 3 months. I’ve spoken with scores of Packer fans. I havent met a single one thats sad to see Rodgers going going hopefully gone. People were sick of his BS and coming up short in big games. This whole “ oh will GB put the team around AR that he deserves” is over. The whole “oh we have this awesome all time great QB I just hope we can give him what he needs” BS is over. Now it’s about putting together a team and performing as a TEAM. Will there be ups and downs? That’s sports, that’s the NFL, that’s life. We went 8-9 and missed the playoffs last year. Do we take a step back to a 6-11 team? Maybe - (maybe not), but then we start building on something. Soooooo much more refreshing than going into this season wondering if we’ve done enough to placate and coddle Rodgers only to watch him pout and point fingers. The fourth quarters of his last 3 season ending games. All close HOME games in which the Packers were favored. 10 of 23 for 89 yards one interception ZERO touchdowns 59 QBR

Reaction score
42,43! Ok now thats behind us!

I’m actually excited for this season. I can truthfully say as much as I like to win? I like to Win the correct way and placating individuals over the expressed importance of TEAM effort is a poor way to do things long term.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two Seconds. Ok now thats behind us!

I’m actually excited for this season. I can truthfully say as much as I like to win? I like to Win the correct way and placating individuals over the expressed importance of TEAM effort is a poor way to do things long term.
Exactly how Lombardi drew it up. Almost fascinating to watch how a new, young QB must embrace the challenge of running an offense for the first time.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve been travelling for 3 months. I’ve spoken with scores of Packer fans. I havent met a single one thats sad to see Rodgers going going hopefully gone. People were sick of his BS and coming up short in big games. This whole “ oh will GB put the team around AR that he deserves” is over. The whole “oh we have this awesome all time great QB I just hope we can give him what he needs” BS is over. Now it’s about putting together a team and performing as a TEAM. Will there be ups and downs? That’s sports, that’s the NFL, that’s life. We went 8-9 and missed the playoffs last year. Do we take a step back to a 6-11 team? Maybe - (maybe not), but then we start building on something. Soooooo much more refreshing than going into this season wondering if we’ve done enough to placate and coddle Rodgers only to watch him pout and point fingers. The fourth quarters of his last 3 season ending games. All close HOME games in which the Packers were favored. 10 of 23 for 89 yards one interception ZERO touchdowns 59 QBR
You almost made it through an entire post. Tell Borat I said Hi.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Get ready

LT -- not being snarky here ... I'm thinking I'm missing something. What is different in that article than what we've been hearing the talking heads drone on and on about since this thing bubbled to the surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts