What do you REALLY think Rodgers would garner in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a new theory. With reports of Joe Douglas saying "he will be here" there must be an agreement in place. You undermine your bargaining position if you don't. Maybe there is a condition on how the draft unfolds. Something like: if Paris Johnson is available at 13, then we will give you our 2 2nd round picks and *** for Rodgers. Otherwise we will give you the 13th overall and zzz pick for Rodgers. Or maybe the agreement is a 1st round pick in the 20s. NYJ plans to trade back if they can.

The trade may happen during the draft.
That’s brilliant!

That would also make perfect sense why Rodgers is already being seen with Lazard etc. Those guys are way to happy. This deal is done. The teams are teaming up (because of their tight relationship) to actually help one another achieve their key prospects and positioning.

Call it a Big Brother Alliance.
Good detective work Sir Amish.

The capacity to work as an alliance in draft day wields great power for both teams! I am so stupid, this draft is going to be very rewarding!!

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a new theory. With reports of Joe Douglas saying "he will be here" there must be an agreement in place. You undermine your bargaining position if you don't. Maybe there is a condition on how the draft unfolds. Something like: if Paris Johnson is available at 13, then we will give you our 2 2nd round picks and *** for Rodgers. Otherwise we will give you the 13th overall and zzz pick for Rodgers. Or maybe the agreement is a 1st round pick in the 20s. NYJ plans to trade back if they can.

Day 2 draft

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Day 2 draft
Maybe.

I am hoping for the 13th but realize we will have to give back something.

AR and our 2nd for NYJ #13 and conditional 2nd in 2024

But you are right. AR is probably worth one of their 2nd round picks and conditional 2024 stuff.

Reaction score
With that concept in mind…

I think there’s a 50/50 we’ll see a switch #13 for #15 IF the Jets ideal draft prospect is gone past around #10-#12 overall (my guess). If the Jets primary target is available, they’ll use -#13 in some capacity (natural or moving very slightly). However they’ll reimburse GB for the lost exchange. Such as a bonus Day 3 or switching a rounds as often seen.

So my guess is The primary value is already done. GB is invested in the Jets and vice versa For success in 2023, hence the alliance. Hence the cryptic “it doesn’t need to be a #13” lingo, hence nothing lost or gained in speaking to it in general terms.

Outside chance the Jets might be thinking QB using #13 if one is in spittin’ distance. Let a QB learn behind Rodgers for a year or 2.
I’m not sure they are fully convinced Wilson is their guy. But a QB learning behind a HOF QB is really intriguing. Or they just want Wilson to learn behind a Master idk, but we’ll know in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe.

But you are right. AR is probably worth one of their 2nd round picks and conditional 2024 stuff.

Id be shooting for both those 2nd round picks (equivalent to #17 or so) and a conditional 2024 4th that becomes a 1st if the Jets make the SB in either 2023 or 2024. Becomes a 3rd if he makes the pro bowl, becomes a 2nd if they make the playoffs both years...something along those lines seems pretty fair to the Jets

Reaction score
Id be shooting for both those 2nd round picks (equivalent to #17 or so) and a conditional 2024 4th that becomes a 1st if the Jets make the SB in either 2023 or 2024. Becomes a 3rd if he makes the pro bowl, becomes a 2nd if they make the playoffs both years...something along those lines seems pretty fair to the Jets
I’m about 50/50 that we’ll get a pair of 2nd Rounders in some capacity.

There’s still an outside chance we’ll get a #13 (33%) However it would severely lighten any future collateral we’d get. Id almost rather spread the draft capital a little across this draft and next.
This is turning out just splendid thank you dear God. This could be really good for all parties. Aaron just looks very happy, I’m actually glad for him.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Sounds like some of the media feel you are right and this could go down on Day 1 or Day 2. Far be it from the Packers and Jets to try and steal the thunder of the draft, but in your scenario, that would have to happen.

The only other piece of the puzzle is if the Jets and Rodgers are agreeing to a new contract, that obviously would have to be done in advance as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would prefer that any conditional picks be based mainly on Rodgers performance. Afterall, he is the guy that is being banked on in the trade. Obviously, if they make the SB, it probably meant that Rodgers is playing well, but if they don't make the SB or the Playoffs, Rodgers could still have an outstanding season, but other aspects of the team failed.

I also don't like any "if he only plays 1 year, the Packers owe the Jets this." No, the Jets are already getting a discounted price based on the unknown of how many years Rodgers will play. Should the Packers get more picks if he plays 3 or more years?

Reaction score
Sounds like some of the media feel you are right and this could go down on Day 1 or Day 2. Far be it from the Packers and Jets to try and steal the thunder of the draft, but in your scenario, that would have to happen.

The only other piece of the puzzle is if the Jets and Rodgers are agreeing to a new contract, that obviously would have to be done in advance as well.
Sure.
It just never occurred to me it would happen real time during the draft. Doing that actually takes away some of the ambiguity that both teams are feeling. We’re kinda holding hands here, but for this 1 draft we’re not really expecting a playoff run, so it’s a very different logic than us Packer fans are accustomed to.

If that’s the case, I suspect Brian might be Considering diversifying his acquired Draft resources across time. Which fits better with what NY wants anyway

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't like any "if he only plays 1 year, the Packers owe the Jets this." No, the Jets are already getting a discounted price based on the unknown of how many years Rodgers will play. Should the Packers get more picks if he plays 3 or more years?

I agree...there should be no chance of the Packers giving anything back. You either want to aquire a fhof qb as a team that boasts the longest playoff drought in pro sports, or you dont. No risk no reward, if youre not confident you have a good enough team that he will wamt to return im 2024. Then you shouldn't be trading for him in the first place

Reaction score
I agree...there should be no chance of the Packers giving anything back. You either want to aquire a fhof qb as a team that boasts the longest playoff drought in pro sports, or you dont. No risk no reward, if youre not confident you have a good enough team that he will wamt to return im 2024. Then you shouldn't be trading for him in the first place
I agree. If anything, we’ll get some additional residual capital in 2024 or 2025. Depending on what we get now.
I think our 2023 floor is a 2nd Rounder PLUS
Meaning switching picks somewhere along the line now in 2023 OR a Day3 for waiting
#15 for #13
Or
7th for 4th
Or
5th/6th rounder straight up
Etc..

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe.

Its what I was hearing. They have it laid out and will work as you said in a way.. But it was stated day 2

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer that any conditional picks be based mainly on Rodgers performance. Afterall, he is the guy that is being banked on in the trade. Obviously, if they make the SB, it probably meant that Rodgers is playing well, but if they don't make the SB or the Playoffs, Rodgers could still have an outstanding season, but other aspects of the team failed.

It doesn't bother me, because it all factors in the value and risk. Maybe the best they were willing to give us was a 3rd because he may only play a year. And we came back with make it a 2nd and if he doesn't play the 2nd year we will give back a 4th. It adds value to the Packers and reduces risk of Jets. Win-win.

D

Deleted member 6794

Outside chance the Jets might be thinking QB using #13 if one is in spittin’ distance. Let a QB learn behind Rodgers for a year or 2.
I’m not sure they are fully convinced Wilson is their guy. But a QB learning behind a HOF QB is really intriguing. Or they just want Wilson to learn behind a Master idk, but we’ll know in a couple of weeks.

If the Jets end up acquiring Rodgers there's zero chance they select a QB at #13.

The Jets would have until week 1 of the season to sign Rodgers to a new deal. Not need for it to get done before the trade is finalized.

I don't want the Packers to agree to trade a pick to the Jets if Rodgers doesn't play more than one year either. But I expect that him returning in 2024 would factor into a conditional pick though.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about making a swap of our second for their first in 2024 - now that would be a twist

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about making a swap of our second for their first in 2024 - now that would be a twist
I would be on board for that. The Jets think they will be elite and drafting in the 30s and the Packers are taking a big step step backwards. But, I think that Love will be at least as effective as Rodgers was last season and that there is a chance Rodgers struggles in NY - we all assume the change of scenery will cause him to focus on being a good teammate, but who knows.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion swapping picks and rounds with a bonus pick or two is equitable. Say swap 1sts & 2nds this year plus their extra 2nd as the bonus. Plus next year their 2nd for our 3rd and if they make the division round or AR12 is at least a pro-bowl alternate we swap our 2nd for their 1st. Add in for every season that AR12 is not on the retired list at any point they send us a 6th or 7th in the following draft starting next year.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be on board for that. The Jets think they will be elite and drafting in the 30s and the Packers are taking a big step step backwards. But, I think that Love will be at least as effective as Rodgers was last season and that there is a chance Rodgers struggles in NY - we all assume the change of scenery will cause him to focus on being a good teammate, but who knows.

Rodgers has consistently shown that when he can convince himself he has something to prove, he plays at a hof level. Id expect nothing less. Favre had the lowly Jets at 8-3 prior to tearing his biceps...id expect Rodgers to do better than Favre as he has every step of the way. Obviously you never know but I wouldnt make a trade betting Rodgers will fail

D

Deleted member 6794

There's a distinct chance that would only result in the Packers gaining a few spots. I'm definitely opposed to it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If what Mike Greenberg said is true about Aaron Rodgers being the one that has influenced the trade parameters, it wouldn't shock me one bit. I said this before the potential trade with the Jets was even announced, that if there were trade talks Rodgers will do whatever he can do to screw the Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, yeah, Rodgers is probably holding it up. If the Jets were in a hurry it would be done. If the Packers were in a hurry, it would be done regardless of what Rodgers thought at this point. Everyone knows, we're willing to let him go. Everyone knows the Jets want him. Everyone knows he's already said that is where he is playing.

So what's most believable? The Packers and Jets front offices are trying to maximize a deal in their favor and that's the hold up? Or the player that can not execute a trade is holding it up? I suppose he could have told the Jets if you trade the #13 for me, I'm going to retire so don't do it LOL That's probably it...

Or, the Jets are thinking, the Packers don't want him and have made it clear they're moving on. It's going to cost them a ton to keep a player they don't want, lets leverage that into giving up less now that they showed their hand.

Or the Packers are thinking, the Jets are all in on Rodgers, lets get all we can and we can wait to do it?

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to think the latter 2 scenarios are the most likely but I guess, if you can't work Rodgers into being the bad guy somehow, what's the point, right?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If what Mike Greenberg said is true about Aaron Rodgers being the one that has influenced the trade parameters, it wouldn't shock me one bit. I said this before the potential trade with the Jets was even announced, that if there were trade talks Rodgers will do whatever he can do to screw the Packers.

Dude I said this in multiple posts and got a bunch of backlash...except I didnt say "screw the packers." Of course Rodgers would want to minimize the assets his new team has to give up for him. He is after all trying to win a SB.

I said he would only agree to go to one specific team in order to prevent any kind of bidding war...hmm what did he do

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers said on the Pat McAfee show he went into darkness 90% retiring. When Jets owner Woody Johnson heard that he reneged on the original agreement which would have brought the Packers the Jets 13th pick. He's worried Rodgers will only play one year. Rodgers could reassure him he intends to play longer but he won't. Now Rodgers is saying he won't be in Jets camp until May so there's no need to rush the trade. He's the one holding up the trade. Rodgers is the seeking control over the trade while trying to screw the Packers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts