What do you REALLY think Rodgers would garner in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me it behooves the Jets to get something done prior to the draft. If they don’t then the Packers just wait til June 1 or July 1 or August 1. So if I’m Green Bay I’d tell them exactly that. If you’re not going to include SUBSTANTIAL 2023 Draft capital - lets resume talks June 1.

Reaction score
The biggest problem with your argument is that a Shelby Cobra will appreciate in value while Aaron Rodgers' value in the NFL will be zero in a year or two.
I see where you are going. That said, We don’t know that Aarons value is zero next year or even 2025. You really don’t know that. Tom Brady was a starter for 22 seasons. Aaron Rodgers is very similar in health and he’s got 15 starting seasons in comparison.
If #12 simply surpasses 2022 level, call it 4,000 passing and 30TD’s?? He’s still worth $50m area to someone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Seems to me it behooves the Jets to get something done prior to the draft. If they don’t then the Packers just wait til June 1 or July 1 or August 1. So if I’m Green Bay I’d tell them exactly that. If you’re not going to include SUBSTANTIAL 2023 Draft capital - lets resume talks June 1.
I would think GB would want ‘23 Capital. From a time value lost it would seem that even one 2nd now is a future mid 1st rounder next season? Would NY even have that next season? Arguably not.

I’m just thinking out loud. That’s just 1 selection. What if we want both 2nds? I’m thinking if I’m the Jets and a deal doesn’t happen prior to the draft, significant chance they just lost out on Aaron altogether. This isn’t about calling bluffs as much as it is GB not giving away our QB for a pack of gum. Rich Eisen and Bart Scott and others are voicing that Aaron is worth Favre or less. if the NY brass take that position? I’d pull out of this deal and do it now to be polite and give NY a chance to look elsewhere for a different QB out of total courtesy. I’ll take our chances

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think GB would want ‘23 Capital. From a time value lost it would seem that even one 2nd now is a future mid 1st rounder next season? Would NY even have that next season? Arguably not.

I’m just thinking out loud. That’s just 1 selection. What if we want both 2nds? I’m thinking if I’m the Jets and a deal doesn’t happen prior to the draft, significant chance they just lost out on Aaron altogether. This isn’t about calling bluffs as much as it is GB not giving away our QB for a pack of gum. Rich Eisen and Bart Scott and others are voicing that Aaron is worth Favre or less. if the NY brass take that position? I’d pull out of this deal and do it now to be polite and give NY a chance to look elsewhere for a different QB out of total courtesy. I’ll take our chances
Definitely. Our team has been paying for Rodgers all these years. He is not just a cast off even at this stage of his career. He is a future HOFer and a league MVP multiple times. The Packers have to say, " If you want him, Pay Up! " Remember, he is NOT a free agent.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Is this what the final deal will look like?

- 2nd round pick this year.

- Conditional pick in 2024, slides up and down based on Jets 2023 record. Could be as high as a 1st round pick.

- Jets get some kind of 2025 pick if Rodgers only plays 1 season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this what the final deal will look like?

- 2nd round pick this year.

- Conditional pick in 2024, slides up and down based on Jets 2023 record. Could be as high as a 1st round pick.

- Jets get some kind of 2025 pick if Rodgers only plays 1 season.

Packers should not agree to the last part. No risk no reward and thats the risk the Jets are taking. In reality its no risk, Rodgers will play in 2024

But yeah pick 42 or 43 and a conditional 2nd that can become a first if the Jets make the playoffs. And becomes a 3rd if say Rodgers plays less than 8 games or something. Maybe even no 2024 pick if Rodgers retires

Perhaps they can get a player on a rookie deal. I know their was talk of edge Jermaine Jones being included in the deal

Id do a 2023 2nd #43 and Jermaine Jones plus the conditional 2024 pick. I preface this by saying Id only be doing this if based on practice etc I thought Jordan Love was really good at worst and possibly all time great

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe even no 2024 pick if Rodgers retires
I would think that the 2024 pick isn't negotiable for the Packers, at least not tied to anything that does or doesn’t happen AFTER the 2023 season. It would reflect Rodgers value in 2023, thus tied to either his performance or the Jets.

At this point, I would prefer both 2nd round picks this year and call it a day. That way both teams are dealing with known costs.

Final note. If Rodgers wants back in my good graces and there are no future picks tied to his performance, he let's the deal get done and then retires the following week on the Pat M. show. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Reaction score
Packers should not agree to the last part. No risk no reward and thats the risk the Jets are taking. In reality its no risk, Rodgers will play in 2024

But yeah pick 42 or 43 and a conditional 2nd that can become a first if the Jets make the playoffs. And becomes a 3rd if say Rodgers plays less than 8 games or something. Maybe even no 2024 pick if Rodgers retires

Perhaps they can get a player on a rookie deal. I know their was talk of edge Jermaine Jones being included in the deal

Id do a 2023 2nd #43 and Jermaine Jones plus the conditional 2024 pick. I preface this by saying Id only be doing this if based on practice etc I thought Jordan Love was really good at worst and possibly all time great
Good stuff.

I’d prefer to just take both 2023 2nd Rounders straight up and no additional compensation.

The only consolation is if Aaron only plays 1 season, I’d kick them back a 5th Rounder in 2025.

Aside from that the only other concession is switching BOTH their seconds and kicking them Our #116 (4th) now. Anything in that points structure which is about like ONE #20 overall area selection now(with a possible 5th recouped)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It would be a risky move by the Packers as they could end up stuck with Rodgers if they wait too long to agree to a trade with the Jets and they pull out of it at some point.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a risky move by the Packers as they could end up stuck with Rodgers if they wait too long to agree to a trade with the Jets and they pull out of it at some point.
I would think the Jets would want Rodgers on the team sooner than later for the 2023 season. OTOH it sounds like money wise it would be a lot better for The Pack if the trade happened in June. Or is that just dead cap for 2023 as opposed to 2024? A part of me would just like the dead cap to go away after 2023. Bite the bullet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would think the Jets would want Rodgers on the team sooner than later for the 2023 season. OTOH it sounds like money wise it would be a lot better for The Pack if the trade happened in June. Is there some wiggle room here? Probably draft picks would make it difficult.
I agree with you on the Jets end of things, that the sooner the better. They seem to be adding players, based on Rodgers being their QB and wanting to compete for a SB in 2023.

As far as the Packers go, I would actually like to see as much of the Rodgers cap hit go against the 2023 cap as possible. Which I think is optional, if the trade happens after June 1. The Packers can choose to take the hit this season or shove around half to 2024. Packers have been kicking enough cans forward for too long. Love and the offense can use 2023 as a learning experience, while Gute and Ball use it to reduce the dead cap hits in the future.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you on the Jets end of things, that the sooner the better. They seem to be adding players, based on Rodgers being their QB and wanting to compete for a SB in 2023.

As far as the Packers go, I would actually like to see as much of the Rodgers cap hit go against the 2023 cap as possible. Which I think is optional, if the trade happens after June 1. The Packers can choose to take the hit this season or shove around half to 2024. Packers have been kicking enough cans forward for too long. Love and the offense can use 2023 as a learning experience, while Gute and Ball use it to reduce the dead cap hits in the future.
Yes, I agree except I'm still on board for this year if we get the D line straightened out and our O line is better. Putting all the dead cap space on 2023 would surely help out immensely for 2024.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Im doing this correctly... Rodgers current cap number is about 31 million. His dead cap number if traded pre June 1st is about 40 million. The Packers would need to clear about an additional 9 million.

It seems reasonable to me...and then be free of it going forward

Or post june 1st. His dead cap in 2023 would be about 16 million. Saving roughly 15 million against the 2023 cap. But with 24 million dead to count against the 2024 cap.

Id rather get as much 2023 draft or player capital as possible which means a pre june 1st trade and an additional 9 million cap hit. Currently the Packers are somewhere around 20 million beneath the cap

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes, I agree except I'm still on board for this year if we get the D line straightened out and our O line is better. Putting all the dead cap space on 2023 would surely help out immensely for 2024.
My expectations of a Jordon Love run offense in year 1 has been pretty low from day 1. MLF confirmed that the other day. I know many of us are anxious to see what Love can do as the starter, but nobody should start throwing him under the bus after his 1st interception.

That in mind, a 2-6 win season is not out of the question in 2023. I actually would prefer that over an 8-9 season, from a 2024 draft standpoint. That way if Love is a trainwreck and its time to move on, 2024 can be the draft to do it. Having a fully stocked cap war chest will help too. If Love looks like the real deal, then the Packers can use the great draft capital and cap space to improve the team elsewhere.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting serious draft capital in 2023 is important to put enough talent around Love to be able to adequately assess his ability. Jaxon Smith-Njigba or Darnell Washington could contribute as rookies. I think JSN could be a dynamic slot receiver right out of the gates. Without high draft pick(s) for Rodgers, that scenario is much less plausible and Love's tenure as the starting QB will be greatly hampered. Waiting for compensation in 2024 will hurt Love's development.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Getting serious draft capital in 2023 is important to put enough talent around Love to be able to adequately assess his ability. Jaxon Smith-Njigba or Darnell Washington could contribute as rookies. I think JSN could be a dynamic slot receiver right out of the gates. Without high draft pick(s) for Rodgers, that scenario is much less plausible and Love's tenure as the starting QB will be greatly hampered. Waiting for compensation in 2024 will hurt Love's development.
Yes and no. I think a good coach can see what he has out there, regardless of receivers. I also don't think JSN or DW, would have all that great of impact in their rookie year, with what amounts to a rookie QB. Unless you are talking about developing the 3 together.

Now if you are talking about the importance of a good OL for Love, I might agree with you there.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oline should be pretty solid. I wouldn't be against one of the top guys at #15 lets call it Snorski

Assuming you can get 42 and 43 from the Jets. You could get wr jalin hyatt te darnell washington and another te/wr maybe rb

Love does need a strong line but also weapons. Rodgers had the benefit of both

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and no. I think a good coach can see what he has out there, regardless of receivers. I also don't think JSN or DW, would have all that great of impact in their rookie year, with what amounts to a rookie QB. Unless you are talking about developing the 3 together.

Now if you are talking about the importance of a good OL for Love, I might agree with you there.
Without enough weapons, Love will be forced to scramble or hold the ball too long or throw picks even with time from the o line. The o line can only hold off the rush for a limited duration. D coordinators are great at taking away 1 or 2 offensive weapons. Its the offense with three solid weapons or more that usually flurish.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Without enough weapons, Love will be forced to scramble or hold the ball too long or throw picks even with time from the o line. The o line can only hold off the rush for a limited duration. D coordinators are great at taking away 1 or 2 offensive weapons. Its the offense with three solid weapons or more that usually flurish.
I get it and I hope Watson, Doubs and rookies that are drafted, along with Aaron Jones, Dillon and the OL help him out, I would be comfortable with gauging just how good the guy is with the current roster. Ideal? No. I guess what I am getting at, I wouldn't want the Packers to spend a bunch of money on a 1 year vet deal, just to "improve" Love's 2023 options. Save the money and use it 2024, when you have a better idea of what the team needs.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This roster isn't terrible and gauging Love doesn't require a different one, but it will be for sure post-draft, trade and no doubt FA

Few things on offense:

Dillon was not the same beginning of the last year but got a lot better second half.
Doubs and Watson at times looked like WR1s and other times rookies...year two is incoming.
Toure took advantage of his LIMITED chances, can he be a WR5?
Bo Melton quietly could be the slot guy given his athletic profile and MLF system
Bakh another year removed from injury...Jenkins too.
Tom into second year and I suspect will boot an OL starter out (likely Myers or Runyan)
Yosh may end up our back up RT if we go Tackle early

Defensively:

Everyone but Amos/Reed/Lowry back
Gary will be back at some point
Stokes as well

Say only half of the progressions possible hit and hit well here...that's already a better roster before any additionals added.

Reaction score
Yes. I’ve done many interactive Mocks and it’s getting me to look at that particular player I drafted in a pinch that I knew very little about. Last night I did a Mock where I switched with Steelers our first pick and kicked them a Day 3 fir their #80. Anyway the strangest thing happened. Before I knew it I had drafted:
WR Smith-Njigba
TE Maher
TE Washington
WR Jalin Hyatt.

I did use an #80 Overall packaged with a 2nd (acquired from Day 1 swap back Steelers) to get Mayer at #31 because he slipped some.

Smith-Njigba was there at our initial #17 selection.

I spent a #116 to move up slightly and get Jalin Hyatt with Raiders (#38)

Darnell Washington fell right into our lap at #41 overall and I was actually trying to avoid him the selection before because I had just went haywire on Mayer. I just had to take Darnell I swear he was smiling at me!! I didn’t really intend to go that heavy on Offense at all. It was totally unintentional and it was the only mock I had of like 50 of them but 1 with 4 Offensive players to start. It’s mostly the way the board fell. Talk about an injection of talent to spark Jordan.

This was not intentional except for maybe Mayer as Kincaid went off the board already and I was disgusted with myself for not grabbing a Defender there. Can you imagine the look on Rodgers face if we really did that?!:laugh:

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes. I’ve done many interactive Mocks and it’s getting me to look at that particular player I drafted in a pinch that I knew very little about. Last night I did a Mock where I switched with Steelers our first pick and kicked them a Day 3 fir their #80. Anyway the strangest thing happened. Before I knew it I had drafted:
WR Smith-Njigba
TE Maher
TE Washington
WR Jalin Hyatt.

I did use an #80 Overall packaged with a 2nd (acquired from Day 1 swap back Steelers) to get Mayer at #31 because he slipped some.

Smith-Njigba was there at our initial #17 selection.

I spent a #116 to move up slightly and get Jalin Hyatt with Raiders (#38)

Darnell Washington fell right into our lap at #41 overall and I was actually trying to avoid him the selection before because I had just went haywire on Mayer. I just had to take Darnell I swear he was smiling at me!! I didn’t really intend to go that heavy on Offense at all. It was totally unintentional and it was the only mock I had of like 50 of them but 1 with 4 Offensive players to start. It’s mostly the way the board fell. Talk about an injection of talent to spark Jordan.

This was not intentional except for maybe Mayer as Kincaid went off the board already and I was disgusted with myself for not grabbing a Defender there. Can you imagine the look on Rodgers face if we really did that?!:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts