Week 8: Packers at Rams

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just noticed Fox is televising this game in my area on Sunday. Yay! Hope it isn't too brutal to watch :)

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I was hopeful for this game, but I'm not. I'm hope I'm wrong, but the way the defense is playing, it reminds me too much of the previous years.

I really like Alexander and Jackson, but without any pass rush, there is a lot of burden on them.

I am tired of relying on Rodgers having a good game. I like our players but I think Rodgers always tries to do too much and the schemes are the same ole same ole.

I am certainly no football expert. Just a fan of the game. But even with Rodgers injuries I think they could done some different things. I don't know. At times the offense seems to be clicking, but they're very inconsistant.

I am not saying any thing new, so I'll stop now.:rolleyes:

I will watch the game, but just not feeling very optimistic. :(

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with a ton here. But not everything...

Our secondary is actually very deep, and good. We also boast one of the best safety combinations in the league. But, like you, I still believe y’all throw it effectively on us. Highly doubt y’all try to take a bunch of long developing plays and taking a bunch of deep shots; a few for sure, but straight up 7 step drops, probably not. As I’ve said already in a post... off-scheduled is what kills a lot of teams, including us. Rodgers is arguably the best st this (Rothlesberger/Wilson).

The biggest question and headline for you guys this game will be this: How well, can your OLine execute (passing, rushing, AND screen game)?

No doubt. You have a talented defense overall. Not sold on your secondary. Lamarcus Joyner may play like Bob Sanders, but he's not Bob Sanders. Joyner will get muscled by our receivers. John Johnson gonna have to worry about Jimmy Graham. Our receivers go 5-6 deep, excluding Graham. All, if not, most will be active game day. Our running backs are receiving threats. Where you have a distinct advantage, and quietly the foundation of your entire team, is your line play on both sides of the ball. Your defensive line can be historically great if kept together. Packers' O-line has their hands full. Your offensive line is smart, physical, and have great chemistry. Not many answers for that. However, Green Bay has to control the clock, keep the Rams offense off the field, and limit the offense from developing a rhythm.

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post.

I can respect your thoughts on the secondary my man. I’ll respond this way (see the attached image). I know it’s all about what teams you play... this is just where we currently sit. Mind you, teams are throwing it trying to play catch-up.

You’re spot on in regards to line play.

Attachments

• 72BE68F3-141B-410A-AD28-863B2C7A22E2.jpeg
    72BE68F3-141B-410A-AD28-863B2C7A22E2.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 94

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Mcvay is just the flavor of month coach He got lucky to get a nice young qb and the team was able to load up in other positions. Once Goff gets that far contract, we will see the Rams go back to sucking Their window is open for maybe 2 years

Who needs an exciting flavor of the month when the Packers have vanilla! Good old vanilla. Good old boring predictable vanilla.

Also, the game is being played this Sunday and not in few years when their young QB gets a nice fat contract and can't spend all that money on a great defense (which they currently have).

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched the profile of the Rams coach on the HBO program, Real Sports.
I'm like, "Come to Green Bay!"
Boys and girls, we are doomed.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not even sure if we beat Buffalo without Rodgers. 4 out of the next 5 games are on the road, it is one of the most brutal stretches I have seen in a long time for the Packers:

@ Rams --- After our bye week, so we get healthy at least and have 7 extra days to prepare for the Rams.
@ Patriots --- Should be a great GAME.
Dolphins
@ Seahawks --- Short week that we play at home vs. Dolphins and the Seahawks have to play the @Rams before us. Rams vs Hawks is usually a brutal, physical game similar to our games vs Bears or Vikes.
@ Vikings --- 3 extra days of preparing and healing while Vikings play @Bears the week before. Bears and Vikings are going to beat each other up and we'll have to see what kind of injuries occur in it.

Packers might be "lucky" to be 5-5-1 coming out of that stretch, will pretty much put them on "must win games" when they finish 3 out of 5 at home:

Cardinals
Falcons
@ Bears
@ Jets
Lions

So while this five game stretch is going to be tough... we do have some advantages going into a few games that might help out. We could go 1-4, but we also could go 4-1 with the right breaks and if both sides of the team show up in the first half.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Rams will definitely have to get after ARod because their DB's do not match up well with our WR's and TE's. Their DB's have huge height disadvantages to all of our WR's except for Cobb and Adams, but they really don't have anyone to cover them anyways. Peters vs Adams could be interesting, but the way Adams is playing he will still have a big game. Graham has like at least a 7+ inch height advantage over any DB that they will have out there and should have a very good game. Shields will be guarding Allison or MVS and that is another huge difference in height. Now will we use that against the Rams? Only MM and ARod will know the answer to that.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When will they have to pay Goff?
Goff is in his 3rd year... so have a little more time with a QB being way under paid, but with his current play and the way QB salaries are going up... He is coming up to a huge pay increase from around 8M/yr to around 30M/yr.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I was hopeful for this game, but I'm not. I'm hope I'm wrong, but the way the defense is playing, it reminds me too much of the previous years.

I really like Alexander and Jackson, but without any pass rush, there is a lot of burden on them.

I am tired of relying on Rodgers having a good game. I like our players but I think Rodgers always tries to do too much and the schemes are the same ole same ole.

I am certainly no football expert. Just a fan of the game. But even with Rodgers injuries I think they could done some different things. I don't know. At times the offense seems to be clicking, but they're very inconsistant.

I am not saying any thing new, so I'll stop now.:rolleyes:

I will watch the game, but just not feeling very optimistic. :(
Yeah, an upset would be nice but it's not what I am going to expect.
I think it's better to expect to lose so the actual loss won't be a huge disappointment and if we win it would be a great and welcome surprise.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Considering we are a second half team who makes very good adjustments, this seems a bit far fetched.
Yeah, and you should have seen the far fetched predictions of the big scores against the 9ers.
I think we will be lucky to get more than 14 points against you guys with the way our seasons are going.

D

Deleted member 6794

When will they have to pay Goff?

Goff is currently under contract through the 2019 season with the Rams having the possibility of picking up the fifth year option for the 2020 season.

Our running backs are receiving threats.

Jones hasn't been smooth catching the ball over his career though. Another reason he doesn't receive more snaps, which is of course completely ignored by most posters around here.

I can respect your thoughts on the secondary my man. I’ll respond this way (see the attached image). I know it’s all about what teams you play... this is just where we currently sit. Mind you, teams are throwing it trying to play catch-up.

The Rams pass defense is a bit above average ranking 11th in opposing passer rating allowed, which is definitely a better metric to evaluate a unit than total yards.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So while this five game stretch is going to be tough... we do have some advantages going into a few games that might help out. We could go 1-4, but we also could go 4-1 with the right breaks and if both sides of the team show up in the first half.

Why can't we go 5-0 :D (although 0-5 seems more likely than 5-0)

I think most fans would be very happy with 3-2 if the 3 were the Rams, Seahawks and vikings

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Considering we are a second half team who makes very good adjustments, this seems a bit far fetched.

You’re NOT a Packers fan, Dude. So of course you think it’s far fetched. They either play good the first half ? or 2nd half? We’ve yet to see a complete game. Carry on

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goff is in his 3rd year... so have a little more time with a QB being way under paid, but with his current play and the way QB salaries are going up... He is coming up to a huge pay increase from around 8M/yr to around 30M/yr.

I'm guessing Goff will get a new deal after this year. Especially if they make it to the SB. That is if guys on rookie deals can get new ones after 3 years. I know they can 5th year option him so that may put it off a year but if he continues on this path I highly doubt doubt they let him enter his final season under his rookie deal.