Week 8: Packers at Rams

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe, but I would hate to see a wide open Gurley in the flat all game long.

I would hate to see that as well but on the other hand I'm not convinced Burks will be able to contain Gurley running the ball.

No, cuz it doesn't fit what I seen on my television set. Like I said before, stats are not derogatory, but you can definitely can look at them and get the wrong idea.

The facts strongly indicate that you're wrong about the Packers having given up more big passing plays than other teams though.

Well, using ESPN tackle stats and Football Outsiders snap counts, Burks has managed 1 tackle per 5.8 defensive snaps compared to 7.5 for Martinez.

If the qualifications are speed to the sidelines and to stay with a back in coverage, who else ya got?

FWIW PFF has graded Martinez at 80.6 (86.8 in coverage) so far this season with Burks having struggled according to them (49.0 overall, 53.9 coverage).

Yeah but didn't he miss a FG before that one.

Yeah, he did. I have no idea what's the point of bringing it up.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again though, are we denying that his mobility hasn’t improved since the Minnesota game? I guess I have been watching a different quarterback. I mean the first two games after the injury, he hardly took a single snap from under center because of the injury. Now we are seeing a much more balanced mix of shotgun versus under center.

Just using the eye test, he has been more mobile by the game. Maybe I’m missing something.

It’s bothered him obviously, but the eye test for me definitely suggests improvement.
Quoted for truth. You'd think Rodgers improving was a bad thing by reading some of these posts. Some people have a hard time admitting they were wrong, even when it's to the Packers benefit.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think we are going to have to do some pretty extensive blitzing to try and keep the Lambs in check. I hope we can dial them up so they are not completely obvious.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well like I said, I don't trust the numbers game in that department.

No, cuz it doesn't fit what I seen on my television set. Like I said before, stats are not derogatory, but you can definitely can look at them and get the wrong idea.

Uhmm I'm not even sure what your talking about. You said the Packers are getting torched deep left n right.

That's a verifiable statement and Cap proved it false. (At least in comparison to the rest of the league)

Sure stats can be misleading but when you're saying a team is getting beat deep it CAN be looked at through statistics pretty accurately. So when someone posts the stat for 25 yards or more against it means your statement is objectively wrong and your perception of the matter is probably being influenced by personal bias.

Take your L. It's cool. We all gotta take them every now and then

Last edited:

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mcvay is just the flavor of month coach He got lucky to get a nice young qb and the team was able to load up in other positions. Once Goff gets that far contract, we will see the Rams go back to sucking Their window is open for maybe 2 years

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mcvay is just the flavor of month coach He got lucky to get a nice young qb and the team was able to load up in other positions. Once Goff gets that far contract, we will see the Rams go back to sucking Their window is open for maybe 2 years

Hah. Wrong.

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Rams are undefeated and the Packers have underachieved. We have to operate under the assumption that the Rams will be at their best.

Don’t mistake my position, I think the Packers have a great shot. You must have glossed over all of the posts where I detailed how good of a shot the Packers have. But it’s going to take more than an average game to get the job done.

This.

Seems like so many of you aren’t giving your team enough credit. You have holes, the Rams have holes, just not as many.

100% healthy or not, you’re never out of a game when you have a HOFer in Rodgers leading your huddle. The off-schedule plays he makes, the pocket presence, the touch on his throws... I could go on and on.

Our weakness is our pass rush coming from the outside... although it’s getting better. We obviously don’t have Talib again and while that definitely hurts, we are deep at corner. However, I believe y’all will score, and a few times at that. If y’all don’t turn the ball over, play solid special teams, and be a top 5 unit against the pass as you have thus far, y’all are in this game, ... period.

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Green Bay falls to Los Angeles, there will be a silver lining. Clearly, McCarthy lacks innovation and is not attuned to the new NFL. His seat will get hotter. Yes, this is a new era of NFL scheming. The changes of rules reflects this.

Anyways here's my Packers/Rams analysis:

O-Line must step up, especially the interior. Donald, Suh, and Brockers? Yikes!

Running the ball is imperative. I found it very puzzling when they cut Aaron Ripkowski before the season started. He was versatile and a plus at blocking. Following Rodgers' injury last year, one would think having a fullback to offer a last line of protection, would've been considered. Plus he would've offered more tunnels of vision for Williams and Jones. A great plan for the run game will help with time of possession, because...

There is no way Green Bay's defense will stop the Rams offense!!! Hopefully, Cooper Kupp will be inactive another week giving the safeties a fighting chance, because Cooks will fly down the field, and Gurley will be all over the place in the run game and passing game. Woods is a route running tactician, so our young CBs must stay disciplined. Without a pass rush, can't see Green Bay getting through that Rams O-Line.

However, as always, Rodgers is the wildcard. Adams has been very impressive this season, and MVS is starting to make a legitimate case for No.2 WR status. Rams secondary is injured and not very deep. Rodgers knows Sam Shields' game having practiced against him for so many years. Also, Rodgers elevates his game when the stakes are high. Plus he's going back home to Cali, which according to Week 8 NFL schedule, will be the game of the week.

Rodgers will ball...will everyone else?

Agree with a ton here. But not everything...

Our secondary is actually very deep, and good. We also boast one of the best safety combinations in the league. But, like you, I still believe y’all throw it effectively on us. Highly doubt y’all try to take a bunch of long developing plays and taking a bunch of deep shots; a few for sure, but straight up 7 step drops, probably not. As I’ve said already in a post... off-scheduled is what kills a lot of teams, including us. Rodgers is arguably the best st this (Rothlesberger/Wilson).

The biggest question and headline for you guys this game will be this: How well, can your OLine execute (passing, rushing, AND screen game)?

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The biggest question and headline for you guys this game will be this: How well, can your OLine execute (passing, rushing, AND screen game)?
Absolutely critical.

If the Packers perform well in this area, and thus manages time of possession to where the defense isn’t gassed the whole game, we’re gonna have a really fun game on our hands.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hah. Wrong.
I don't think the Rams are poised for long term success. and McVay looks like a genius for now. Lots of guys do for a season or 2 and defenses catch up more often than not. and what's really driving that offense is Gurley. It isn't exactly hard to look great when you have to put a defense on notice for everything on every play. When beating you by pounding it, even when the defense is playing the power run game is possible on every play it's a lot easier to make the play caller look good. It's not hard to look like a matchup genius when a defense has to keep linebackers on the field to contain the run game instead of putting DB's on the field to defend the pass. Gurley is the engine that makes it all go.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Gurley is most definitely the engine. The Rams would look worlds different without him on the field.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has been an up-and-down, inconsistent shitshow for six games . I'm to believe that is suddenly just going to turn around on the road against a talented 7 -0 team? Do it. Show me. Until then they are what they are and what they have been up till now. Start with being able to get out of your own way. Here's to hoping I'm dead wrong on this, but I'm going with the Rams, 38 to 17.

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely critical.

If the Packers perform well in this area, and thus manages time of possession to where the defense isn’t gassed the whole game, we’re gonna have a really fun game on our hands.

Exactly.

I think there are many that undervalue yalls receivers as well. I saw a few posters say Adams is a 2... um... what?

The younger guys may be a little inconsistent, but they avs good upside, especially Allison.

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Rams are poised for long term success. and McVay looks like a genius for now. Lots of guys do for a season or 2 and defenses catch up more often than not. and what's really driving that offense is Gurley. It isn't exactly hard to look great when you have to put a defense on notice for everything on every play. When beating you by pounding it, even when the defense is playing the power run game is possible on every play it's a lot easier to make the play caller look good. It's not hard to look like a matchup genius when a defense has to keep linebackers on the field to contain the run game instead of putting DB's on the field to defend the pass. Gurley is the engine that makes it all go.

While I can understand your perspective. It’s flawed and here is why:

1. Any, and I mean any analyst or previous coach will publicly state that McVay is undoubtedly here to stay. They break down his plays, and give you the ‘what’ behind the ‘why’. Many teams are already trying to incorporate McVays plays but are failing. Why? Personel... which leads to point no. 2

2. The ENTIRE offense is under contract over the next 4 seasons. The majority of the defense is also already under contract. Obviously Suh was a 1 year prove it deal, but it’s Peters and Joyner that we are truly looking at here. The Rams have cap to use, including the increase of cap space next season. Two guys, including the solid performer or Mark Barron have taken pay cuts, why? Everyone wants to play for a HC like McVay.

3. Gurley is indeed the engine that makes t all go. But make no mistake, it’s the pass that sets up the run, check out the stats. Goff is playing very well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year, and I do mean EVERY year there is a new hot coach doing things we've never seen in the NFL, which all stuff that has been done before. The talking heads get paid to talk and the listeners hear what they want to hear. McVay is a good coach, he has that team playing very well. They do have a talented roster, as they should. They haven't been good that long. Top 10 running backs should be better than 5th rounders.

I haven't seen the Rams win without Gurley, or Donald. I think they'd survive Donald more than Gurley. They wouldn't even need to lose a QB. I get it, they're poised for greatness. But the NFL seasons is long and strange. There was a point when GB was sitting right where the Rams were. suddenly budding stars had career enders. Prime of career vets with big contracts DUN, 2 of them. Probowl pounding RB gets fat. Guys get hurt, people leave, get cut, want out, hold out etc. Coaches are poached things happen. and the Rams are only a half a season in.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Exactly.

I think there are many that undervalue yalls receivers as well. I saw a few posters say Adams is a 2... um... what?

The younger guys may be a little inconsistent, but they avs good upside, especially Allison.
Adams is absolutely a #1. He's putting up production consistent with the best in the game.

Cobb is a solid slot guy that's injury prone. Allison has been tremendous as an UDFA that has worked his tail off to develop rapport with Rodgers. He runs good routes, has deceptive speed, and has really good hands.

The two rookie receivers have stepped up big in Cobb/Allison's absence. Equanimeous St. Brown made a huge catch that facilitated in the Packers coming from behind against the 49ers. A back shoulder route that Rodgers didn't put quite enough on and he made an outstanding adjustment to haul it in on the boundary and have the presence of mind to get out of bounds.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling has had Rodgers raving for weeks about how much ahead of the curve he is for a rookie wide out not even halfway through the season.

I'm quite optimistic about the wide receiver group moving forward.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know MVS has been getting the majority of snaps etc and has looked nice, but that catch ESB made on the boundary the last game was a thing of beauty. I have to believe if that sort of reaction and hands can be relied upon consistently, when he gets the offense down and the little things, he is going to explode on to the scene one day. Maybe it was just luck. But at that point in the game, with no targets I believe prior and to make that catch? he made it look a lot easier than it was. But then I saw Robert Ferguson make a catch I thought was going to signal is emergence in this offense against the Vikings once and score a TD. Turns out i was wrong. Go figure. But I hope i'm not this time :)

H

HardRightEdge

FWIW PFF has graded Martinez at 80.6 (86.8 in coverage) so far this season with Burks having struggled according to them (49.0 overall, 53.9 coverage).
Be that as it may, in limited snaps he's been getting to the ball at a high rate which is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Members online

No members online now.