Week 8: Packers at Rams

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Game week will be here before we know it.

Preliminary thoughts on what needs to happen if we have any hopes of beating this team on their field?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Jupiter aligning with Mars perhaps?

I don't mean to sound negative because I firmly believe that any team is beatable. Pack's chances hinge on that unpredictable defense of ours.

Rams drive the length of the field on their first drive and I'm seeing an ugly game. Gurley is the guy that will end up killing us at first, then when we adjust they'll get us with TE's over the middle.

If the D can shut them down on 2 or 3 drives, the Pack will still need 40 points. It could be ugly. Sorry but this team hasn't given me any reason to polly-anna it up.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect us to have a chance of winning because of who our QB is. Unfortunately he doesn’t play defense, or call the plays. This is a game where you could see us get out schemed on both sides of the ball smh.

The #1 priority will be protecting Rodgers from a fierce pass rush, so I hope that Philbin and McCarthy have their ish together going into the game. DONT get into a track meet with them because that will not work in our favor...the Packers are very good at getting the play off at the last possible second as it is so keep their offense on the sidelines as long as possible. RUN the ball and run for screens for goodness sakes...they work.

The defense has to contain Gurley. Pettine won’t be able to get away with that only two down linemen and six DB crap against Gurley. They have a good trio of WRs but with Kupp
More than likely out for that game and Getting Alexander back with hopefully a Breeland appearance we should be able to handle Woods and Cooks. IDK ...this will either be a close win for the Packers...or an ugly loss. Rams are very good at Home.

Reaction score
Rams have played 1 and a half good teams in the Chargers and Minnesota. The other teams they have beat are less than impressive. Matter of fact, they only beat Denver by 3 and Seattle by 2. Their other wins are against the abysmal Cardinals and the trash Oakland Grudens. The Rams seem scary and hip. But don't believe for a second that they are some unbeatable juggernaut. We may not win, but Packers fans should believe it is not as hopeless as you may think.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Green Bay falls to Los Angeles, there will be a silver lining. Clearly, McCarthy lacks innovation and is not attuned to the new NFL. His seat will get hotter. Yes, this is a new era of NFL scheming. The changes of rules reflects this.

Anyways here's my Packers/Rams analysis:

O-Line must step up, especially the interior. Donald, Suh, and Brockers? Yikes!

Running the ball is imperative. I found it very puzzling when they cut Aaron Ripkowski before the season started. He was versatile and a plus at blocking. Following Rodgers' injury last year, one would think having a fullback to offer a last line of protection, would've been considered. Plus he would've offered more tunnels of vision for Williams and Jones. A great plan for the run game will help with time of possession, because...

There is no way Green Bay's defense will stop the Rams offense!!! Hopefully, Cooper Kupp will be inactive another week giving the safeties a fighting chance, because Cooks will fly down the field, and Gurley will be all over the place in the run game and passing game. Woods is a route running tactician, so our young CBs must stay disciplined. Without a pass rush, can't see Green Bay getting through that Rams O-Line.

However, as always, Rodgers is the wildcard. Adams has been very impressive this season, and MVS is starting to make a legitimate case for No.2 WR status. Rams secondary is injured and not very deep. Rodgers knows Sam Shields' game having practiced against him for so many years. Also, Rodgers elevates his game when the stakes are high. Plus he's going back home to Cali, which according to Week 8 NFL schedule, will be the game of the week.

Rodgers will ball...will everyone else?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This game will hinge on......turnovers and the Packers playing mistake free. Packers will need to be at least +2 in turnovers and not make a lot of mistakes or this will be the typical games we have seen in the past when the Packers face a solid team on the road and just can't keep up. Top to bottom, the Rams are a better team than the Packers and will be on their home turf. Goff is playing solid football, Gurley is running well and if Kupp can play, their 3 WR's (Wood, Kupp, Cooks) could give the Packers fits. The only good news for the Packers, TE's Everett and Higbee haven't done a whole lot, but that could change and Gurley can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Reaction score
This game will hinge on......turnovers and the Packers playing mistake free. Packers will need to be at least +2 in turnovers and not make a lot of mistakes or this will be the typical games we have seen in the past when the Packers face a solid team on the road and just can't keep up. Top to bottom, the Rams are a better team than the Packers and will be on their home turf. Goff is playing solid football, Gurley is running well and if Kupp can play, their 3 WR's (Wood, Kupp, Cooks) could give the Packers fits. The only good news for the Packers, TE's Everett and Higbee haven't done a whole lot, but that could change and Gurley can catch the ball out of the backfield.

I expect us to get eaten alive by Gurley catching the ball in the backfield on screens.

Reaction score
If you all remember sometime back, I predicted the Rams going to and winning the Super Bowl.
A young team, young coach, young players that spend and enjoy their time together without any doubt.

Everything that reeks, "Let's do this."

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect us to have a chance of winning because of who our QB is. Unfortunately he doesn’t play defense, or call the plays.

Actually Rodgers has the possibility to audible to a different play at the LOS.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
How do you prepare for the LA Rams? They are good in every aspect of the game. I will be happy if the Packers are within 7 points of this team. I do not see how you effectively prepare to win a football game against a relatively flawless football team.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you prepare for the LA Rams? They are good in every aspect of the game. I will be happy if the Packers are within 7 points of this team. I do not see how you effectively prepare to win a football game against a relatively flawless football team.
<I merged your thread into an existing one>
From a different thread before week 7. With a few breaks we'd be 6-0 with this schedule also.
WK DATE OPPONENT RESULT
1 Mon, Sep 10@OaklandW33-13 Raiders. 1-5
2 Sun, Sep 16vsArizonaW34-0 Cardinals 1-6
3 Sun, Sep 23vsChargersW35-23 Chargers 4-2
4 Thu, Sep 27vsMinnesotaW38-31 Vikings 3-2-1
5 Sun, Oct 7@SeattleW33-31 Seahawks 3-3
6 Sun, Oct 14@DenverW23-20 Bronco's 3-4
And in reality we aren't that far from being 5-1. A few uncharacteristic Mason clunkers and a botched flag followed by another Mason miss.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt the Rams have a high powered offense but the Packers might be able to score a decent amount of points against their defense as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Rams are good. Not infallible. I’m not saying I like our chances, but I would be a bit worried if I was a Rams fan too. This team is certainly capable of going toe to toe with the rams but it will take a clean game, something we haven’t seen from them yet. Only sputters and stops. But we’ve seen this team getting it going more than once or twice in the past. It’s not like we’re wishing for miracles here.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams drive the length of the field on their first drive
I'll be surprised if this doesn't happen.

I expect us to have a chance of winning because of who our QB is.
We're used to blaming our defense for losses, but in this case I actually believe our offense won't be able to keep up. Our biggest chance is "any given Sunday" IMO.
By the way, ESPN reports this is the biggest point spread as an underdog that Rodgers has faced during his career (8.5).

I see the Rams toasted the 49ers yesterday. For those who said the 49ers aren't that bad of a team so it's no shame that they kept up with GB last week. And those who say the Rams aren't that good.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m gonna save my time from watching this game.. I’m diehard I know any given Sunday but let’s be real this is gonna be ugly.. we are gonna get tiki torched!!! Sorry if u don’t like it and I’m being negative but it’s gonna be a blowout

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<I merged your thread into an existing one>
From a different thread before week 7. With a few breaks we'd be 6-0 with this schedule also.

And in reality we aren't that far from being 5-1. A few uncharacteristic Mason clunkers and a botched flag followed by another Mason miss.

We are about as far from being 5-1 as we are from being 1-5.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I’m gonna save my time from watching this game.. I’m diehard I know any given Sunday but let’s be real this is gonna be ugly.. we are gonna get tiki torched!!! Sorry if u don’t like it and I’m being negative but it’s gonna be a blowout
More power to you.

But don't start posting Sunday night with your pom poms flying in the air bloviating about a Packers victory if they win the game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We are about as far from being 5-1 as we are from being 1-5.
Sadly, this is quite accurate. Took all time greatness from Aaron Rodgers in two games, and a missed FG in overtime of the Minnesota game to get to this point.

If you can say "if not for the Clay penalty", you can certainly say if not for the missed FG.

Bottom line, this team has failed to play up to its full capability, for whatever reason. THAT will need to change if it hopes to beat the Rams on Sunday afternoon. There isn't a football game the Packers have played all season long that would have been good enough to beat the Rams on their field, but the potential to do so is there.

D

Deleted member 6794

We're used to blaming our defense for losses, but in this case I actually believe our offense won't be able to keep up.

I fully expect the offense being capable of putting up points against the Rams defense. It's questionable if the defense can keep their offense out of the end zone enough though.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Vikings wouldn't have had a chance at a game winning field goal without the ridiculous call on Matthews though.
It was absolutely ridiculous, but it happened. And if that football stays inside the uprights, right or wrong or indifferent, the Packers would be 3-3.

I agree that we could have easily been 5-1. but 2-4 or 1-5 was definitely in play as well.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers does not take his own admission to heart that he's holding onto the ball too long, and if Philbin doesn't scheme to get quick passing and something other than a vanilla running game going, then Rodgers will get sacked at least 6 times.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers does not take his own admission to heart that he's holding onto the ball too long, and if Philbin doesn't scheme to get quick passing and something other than a vanilla running game going, then Rodgers will get sacked at least 6 times.

In the first half.

Members online

Latest posts