Week 3: Packers away at Redskins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am worried about our Pass Rush what has happened with Matthews and Perry? should we play Gilbert more.

Reaction score
I am worried about our Pass Rush what has happened with Matthews and Perry? should we play Gilbert more.
My personal opinion is to get more snaps to Gilbert also. I’d like to see him in the 300-500 snap range this year. It’s time to get him more involved.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where the hell is burks, when he got injured preseason the way it sounded was like he might not even miss a game. I thought it was minor.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Burks will play this week. I'm excited to see him and Aaron Jones.

D

Deleted member 6794

Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers

How the dice has rolled since the 2005 draft! Thanks you 49ers!

I'm still getting a smile out of the fact that McCarthy was the 49ers offensive coordinator at the time the team decided to select Smith over Rodgers with the first pick of the 2005 draft.

Just get the adjustments right, as in Jackson on the field not House.

House only played 24 snaps on defense vs. the Vikings. With King missing the second half and Minnesota mostly in obvious passing situations Pettine had to use another cornerback.

He was matched up on Diggs too much this last game. He needs to be moved inside to cover slot receivers and keep Jackson and Alexander on the wideouts.

Alexander excels in the slot. I would definitely prefer having Jackson on the perimeter instead of House though.

49ers passed on Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady what a shame

To be fair, the Packers passed on Brady eight times during the 2000 draft as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My personal opinion is to get more snaps to Gilbert also. I’d like to see him in the 300-500 snap range this year. It’s time to get him more involved.
It's going to be hard not to. When you watch him when he's in there, he's doing well. they're going to have to get him on the field more. He's earning it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where the hell is burks, when he got injured preseason the way it sounded was like he might not even miss a game. I thought it was minor.
me too, then he misses 2 preseason, and now 2 regular season games because of it and haven't heard of him back at practice or anything yet

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind Williams. I just think his age is showing. Can't leave him on an island.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind Williams. I just think his age is showing. Can't leave him on an island.

Williams is serving his purpose imo. No telling if the young duo would be taking to the game like they are without a pro like Williams in their meeting room.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't have an issue with Williams covering an opposing receiver one-on-one on the perimeter. He's not an upgrade at free safety as suggested in other threads though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I hope people aren't expecting Burks to be the "savior" of this defense? I know some are really high on him and I am cautiously optimistic that he will turn into a good ILB, but this isn't Mack coming back from an injury, its a Rookie 3rd round pick, who has yet to play in a real NFL game. Feeling the same way with Josh Jones. I hope he turns into a decent S, but he didn't do a lot to make me think his return is going to fix what we saw against the Queens.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope people aren't expecting Burks to be the "savior" of this defense? I know some are really high on him and I am cautiously optimistic that he will turn into a good ILB, but this isn't Mack coming back from an injury, its a Rookie 3rd round pick, who has yet to play in a real NFL game. Feeling the same way with Josh Jones. I hope he turns into a decent S, but he didn't do a lot to make me think his return is going to fix what we saw against the Queens.
Burks can run with TE's, Jackson is freed up to cover WR's, House is not on the field when King goes down. Getting Burks back could really help. Nobody is thinking he's a savior, but he has been missed. He has a lot to learn and he's not going to learn it in the training room.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Burks can run with TE's, Jackson is freed up to cover WR's, House is not on the field when King goes down. Getting Burks back could really help. Nobody is thinking he's a savior, but he has been missed. He has a lot to learn and he's not going to learn it in the training room.

That was my point. I don't expect him to be better than Morrison right away, down the road? I hope so. I fully expect him to make rookie mistakes. All I was saying are for those people thinking we are getting a "starter" back at ILB and that will make us instantly better, right now that "improvement" is unproven and could even be worse. We will see. Getting him back to get him reps and improve the depth of a thin in talent position, now I love that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He's a different type of player than Morrison
At least that is what we expect. :) A guy that might have some issues with run defense, but good in pass coverage. Like I said, getting him on the field is a good thing, but I am not expecting that he improves the defense that much right out of the gate.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Redskins have had a strong offensive line for several seasons, but they were pushed around by the Colts' defensive front. This would seem to be a very bad sign for them, but it's also possible that by season's end the Colts will have proven to have a strong defensive front.

However, Shawn Lauvao (LG) is likely to miss this game with a calf injury. This means that second year center Chase Roullier would move to LG and Tony Bergstrom would start at center. In other words-- they'll get worse at two interior spots. This would see to play directly into the strengths of the Green Bay front, as they're stronger inside than on the edge.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Redskins have had a strong offensive line for several seasons, but they were pushed around by the Colts' defensive front. This would seem to be a very bad sign for them, but it's also possible that by season's end the Colts will have proven to have a strong defensive front.

However, Shawn Lauvao (LG) is likely to miss this game with a calf injury. This means that second year center Chase Roullier would move to LG and Tony Bergstrom would start at center. In other words-- they'll get worse at two interior spots. This would see to play directly into the strengths of the Green Bay front, as they're stronger inside than on the edge.

So what you are saying is we should expect to see an increase in the number of roughing the QB penalties by the Packers? :coffee:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So what you are saying is we should expect to see an increase in the number of roughing the QB penalties by the Packers? :coffee:

Well so far, I believe it's only been Matthews that's drawn those flags. So maybe the key is for him to get stuffed and out iDL to do the damage?

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This easily can become a trap game. The skins typically play the Packers tough. They need to come out fast and keep the pedal on the gas and not look back. Make the one dimensional and let our CBs showcase their skills.
They should start Gilbert and have Mathews come in every so often, but we need a Dline that can actually create pressure for once

Actually I don't think it's a trap game whatsoever. Frankly, we aren't that much better than the Skins. Them winning wouldn't even be a mini upset.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well so far, I believe it's only been Matthews that's drawn those flags. So maybe the key is for him to get stuffed and out iDL to do the damage?
After what the NFL announced, using the Matthews film as teaching film on what not to do, I am guessing that pretty much every coach and player on defense is scratching their heads as to whether they should hit the QB or not.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I don't think it's a trap game whatsoever. Frankly, we aren't that much better than the Skins. Them winning wouldn't even be a mini upset.
Wut? I mean what? I don't have any words.

Did I drink that much? I'm heading home now.

Status
Not open for further replies.