Week 3: Packers away at Redskins

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Looking at the schedule up to bye week, we should be 5-0-1
It's definitely a possibility.

That would create a ton of hype going into the Rams game on the road. I love that we get to play them after a bye.

And then the showdown with New England. That going to be a fun two weeks of football.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's difficult to come away with anything definitive about the Redskins this early in the season.

Thus far, their run defense is allowing 4.4 YPC. That's only two games, but it's fairly consistent with last year's season total (4.5). Only three teams last year allowed a higher YPC. This could be a week that we see McCarthy & Co. attempt to put more of the load on the running backs, especially with Jones coming back.

Thus far, the pass defense has been lights out. Luck did manage two touchdown passes, but only threw for 5.8 YPA and had two interceptions. Sam Bradford was at 4.5 YPA and zero touchdowns, one interception.

These numbers are undoubtedly skewed because they played Arizona, who is shaping up to be one of the most putrid offenses in the league. However, it's also true that they were a better pass defense than run defense last season.

Washington's lone interception of Bradford was just a horrible overthrow to an open receiver. Bradford had plenty of time and a clean pocket and threw right over his receiver into Quinton Dunbar's waiting arms. His lost fumble came on a play wherein Justin Pugh (RG) can completely annihilated in short order. The Packers' line better not do that to Rodgers.

Their first INT of Luck came on a pass that was tipped high up in the air at the line, and their second looked like a combination of a bad decision by Luck and a rounded off route by Hilton. In neither case did pressure seem to play a role.

All this is to say that while their pass defense is better than their run defense, they aren't a pressure packed juggernaut. It would be nice to save Rodgers' more this week with a running game, but he will be able to make hay against them when necessary.

When the Packers are on defense, the name of the game is game scripting Peterons out and keying on Thompson and Reed. Thus far, Thompson and Reed have combined for 29 catches on 34 targets, while the top three WR's combined have 18 catches on 30 targets. Smith will go to the WR's downfield if he's playing from behind, but he clearly has a preference, and it's for the RB and the TE in the passing game. This is in keeping with what we know about him.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's difficult to come away with anything definitive about the Redskins this early in the season.

Thus far, their run defense is allowing 4.4 YPC. That's only two games, but it's fairly consistent with last year's season total (4.5). Only three teams last year allowed a higher YPC. This could be a week that we see McCarthy & Co. attempt to put more of the load on the running backs, especially with Jones coming back.

Thus far, the pass defense has been lights out. Luck did manage two touchdown passes, but only threw for 5.8 YPA and had two interceptions. Sam Bradford was at 4.5 YPA and zero touchdowns, one interception.

These numbers are undoubtedly skewed because they played Arizona, who is shaping up to be one of the most putrid offenses in the league. However, it's also true that they were a better pass defense than run defense last season.

Washington's lone interception of Bradford was just a horrible overthrow to an open receiver. Bradford had plenty of time and a clean pocket and threw right over his receiver into Quinton Dunbar's waiting arms. His lost fumble came on a play wherein Justin Pugh (RG) can completely annihilated in short order. The Packers' line better not do that to Rodgers.

Their first INT of Luck came on a pass that was tipped high up in the air at the line, and their second looked like a combination of a bad decision by Luck and a rounded off route by Hilton. In neither case did pressure seem to play a role.

All this is to say that while their pass defense is better than their run defense, they aren't a pressure packed juggernaut. It would be nice to save Rodgers' more this week with a running game, but he will be able to make hay against them when necessary.

When the Packers are on defense, the name of the game is game scripting Peterons out and keying on Thompson and Reed. Thus far, Thompson and Reed have combined for 29 catches on 34 targets, while the top three WR's combined have 18 catches on 30 targets. Smith will go to the WR's downfield if he's playing from behind, but he clearly has a preference, and it's for the RB and the TE in the passing game. This is in keeping with what we know about him.

I'm interested to see how Pettine's defense progresses from week to week. As you've pointed out, the Redskins like to use Reed and Thompson as the primaries in the passing attack, which could cause some trouble for our linebackers. Wouldn't be surprised to see an extra safety in the box this week, and/or maybe we'll finally get a look at Oren Burks.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how Pettine's defense progresses from week to week. As you've pointed out, the Redskins like to use Reed and Thompson as the primaries in the passing attack, which could cause some trouble for our linebackers. Wouldn't be surprised to see an extra safety in the box this week, and/or maybe we'll finally get a look at Oren Burks.
I reckon we'll get back to dime, quarter or even half dollar packages. Load all DBs we have and just play Blake with 2 OLBs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd rather cut one of the WRs.

Moore or St. brown could be as well. They're inactive anyway, either has a reason to keep or a reason to cut and with the performance of those ahead of them I don't see them being anything more than inactive every week

Nevertheless I would prefer the Packers to release Darius Jackson instead. While he has been active for both games he hasn't played a single snap on offense so far. I'd rather have the team keeping six receivers on the roster instead of four running backs.

I reckon we'll get back to dime, quarter or even half dollar packages. Load all DBs we have and just play Blake with 2 OLBs.

It would be extremely difficult defending the run that way.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did say Jackson for Jones was the most likely

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I foresee Matthews getting pressure and wrapping the QB up in a bear hug until they blow the play dead.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this game will be much closer than most people expect, and wouldn't be surprised to see the Redskins take this game if they win the turnover battle. 27-23 Packers.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers

How the dice has rolled since the 2005 draft! Thanks you 49ers!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shows you what i know, Burton was released so Jones could be activated.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just get the adjustments right, as in Jackson on the field not House.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably will have him on Reed. I cringe at the thought of House getting regular snaps.
I'd rather he not get many either. Maybe when Burks gets cleared and back he'll be on TEs more and get Jackson back on Receivers to keep house off the field

Or keep king healthy :)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather he not get many either. Maybe when Burks gets cleared and back he'll be on TEs more and get Jackson back on Receivers to keep house off the field

Or keep king healthy :)

Heh, Amen to both buddy.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably will have him on Reed. I cringe at the thought of House getting regular snaps.

He was matched up on Diggs too much this last game. He needs to be moved inside to cover slot receivers and keep Jackson and Alexander on the wideouts.

Reaction score
MM says King will probably miss this week if not more.
I didn’t even realize that King didn’t play the second half last week until after the game was over. Missed that completely
No wonder why we took a nose dive that second half! We should let King ice that groin and get healthy this week, we can win this game with Jackson, Alexander and Williams. Especially if Oren Burks and Josh Jones are both injected into the mix

H

HardRightEdge

I want to see Aaron Jones and his 5 yards per carry.
I'm not expecting much from A. Jones. He got very few touches in Nov. and Dec. last season coming off a knee injury. Then he had a hamstring that kept him out of action for a month in camp up through the first 2 preseason games. Then he did not look especially quick in those last 2 preseason games. Maybe he's back in form now but I wouldn't count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts