We dont have as much money as you think

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
AZpacker posted this http://www.jrn.com/wtmj/wi-sports/g...he-wont-have-it-free-next-year-250253821.html

in chat box

This year's experience in Packers frugality isn't a philosophy lesson, but an economics lesson.

The money simply isn't there, and definitely won't be for any big-splash long-term deals like what DeMarcus Ware got in Denver.

What do you mean, the money's not there? Don't the Packers have $142 million to spend this year?

Yes, but a monster chunk of it is spoken for by players already signed, as calculated by expert Packers writer and amateur cap-ologist Chris Lempesis of the blog "Ol' Bag of Donuts." (Trust me, cap-ology is a science that's hard to master. I certainly don't belong as a master in that category, and I share amateur status with him.)

According to his numbers:

The Packers still have about a dozen of their own free agents left to sign. This gives them enough money for a few of them, but only a few, and only for one year.

This ties into what I mentioned the other day...

Teams can afford a "big named" FA because they cut players to make cap room.

Ted and co. rather keep everyone then to cut people every year just to be able to afford one FA

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AZpacker posted this http://www.jrn.com/wtmj/wi-sports/g...he-wont-have-it-free-next-year-250253821.html

in chat box

This ties into what I mentioned the other day...

Teams can afford a "big named" FA because they cut players to make cap room.

Ted and co. rather keep everyone then to cut people every year just to be able to afford one FA

Denver, for example, Ware is replacing Dumervil and Talib replaces Rodgers Cromaritie.

They've also lost Decker and seems like Moreno too. Have they really gotten that much better? If they do end up better, I think it's not by a whole lot.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Denver, for example, Ware is replacing Dumervil and Talib replaces Rodgers Cromaritie.

They've also lost Decker and seems like Moreno too. Have they really gotten that much better? If they do end up better, I think it's not by a whole lot.

Don't forget the musical chairs in Chicago.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. Classic example would be the Bears this year. Let's see how it turns out.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the Peppers contract was never meant to go into the 2014 year. Peppers was never meant to play for the Bears at $18.5M. Some contracts might be signed for six years, but are never meant to go past three or four.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
True. Cleveland did the same. They let a solid safety and LB go and signed two older guys at the same positions.

yep. I would of loved to see TT make a move on D'Qwell Jackson. But he was a first day "overpay."

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I hate to burst your bubble, but the Peppers contract was never meant to go into the 2014 year. Peppers was never meant to play for the Bears at $18.5M. Some contracts might be signed for six years, but are never meant to go past three or four.

yeah I know this but they didn't even try to sign there own free agents. Peppers could of been re-structured. They kept Conte. Hopefully they roll him out there on Cobb again this year. lol

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
yeah I know this but they didn't even try to sign there own free agents.[/qu

Or better yet. I hope they throw MD Jennings on Cobb.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but part of the reason is some of the guys who we are paying.

Tramon's cap hit is $9.5M this year. AJ Hawk is $5.1M. Morgan Burnett is $4.84M. Brad Jones is $3.925M. Derek Sherrod is $2.1M, and Jarrett Bush is $2.033M.

When you're dedicating almost $30M of your payroll to a hot and cold corner, two mediocre ILB's, one of the worst safeties in the NFL in 2013, an offensive lineman who has barely played in 3 years, and a special teams player, you're not going to have much flexibility.

I'm all about keeping our own guys, if they're worth keeping. We don't have enough "value" players on our team anymore. Jordy Nelson is a "value" player. Randall Cobb and Eddie Lacy are big "value" players, but that's only because they are on their rookie contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/yearly/

Look at all the names here. Of the guys that we extended on our own, can you see one name besides Jordy Nelson that we look back on and say "wow, that really turned out in our favor." I guess Sitton might be a big underpaid, but he is a guard.

Rodgers is certainly worth every penny, but he's the highest paid player in football, and is being paid at the market value for that at this point in time.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but part of the reason is some of the guys who we are paying.

Tramon's cap hit is $9.5M this year. AJ Hawk is $5.1M. Morgan Burnett is $4.84M. Brad Jones is $3.925M. Derek Sherrod is $2.1M, and Jarrett Bush is $2.033M.

When you're dedicating almost $30M of your payroll to a hot and cold corner, two mediocre ILB's, one of the worst safeties in the NFL in 2013, an offensive lineman who has barely played in 3 years, and a special teams player, you're not going to have much flexibility.

I'm all about keeping our own guys, if they're worth keeping. We don't have enough "value" players on our team anymore. Jordy Nelson is a "value" player. Randall Cobb and Eddie Lacy are big "value" players, but that's only because they are on their rookie contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/yearly/

Look at all the names here. Of the guys that we extended on our own, can you see one name besides Jordy Nelson that we look back on and say "wow, that really turned out in our favor." I guess Sitton might be a big underpaid, but he is a guard.

Rodgers is certainly worth every penny, but he's the highest paid player in football, and is being paid at the market value for that at this point in time.

I'd say Lang has been worth it. With Matthews, we didn't really have an option. There's no way we were going to let him go. We had James Jones who was worth his 2nd contract too. It's difficult to get value players on 2nd contracts. They know if they hit free agency, they'll get overpaid and can use that to negotiate.

Also, not all of that $30 million is a waste. I'd say the only two who are grossly overpaid are Jones and Sherrod. I still think Burnett earned that contract by playing well, unfortunately he regressed this season. Hawk and Tramon are solid guys who aren't worth their current salaries, but it's not like they make double what they deserve.

Finally, I'm not going to take a look around the whole league, but when 5 of our 6 worse contracts are $5.1 million or less, I can't imagine that's too bad.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say at least, we do need to sign a defensive lineman or two in free agency that fit our defense. Everything got quiet on Raji lately. I don't think he wants to sign our one year offer, but I haven't heard a peep about him in free agency. I doubt he is generating much interest. If he's not getting any offers, I wouldn't be surprised if our offer to him drops even lower, or at least forces him to earn some of it in incentives.

Safety is an absolute must in the draft. If Pryor or Clinton-Dix is on the board at #21, I'd be shocked if we don't take one. Not only is it our biggest need, but at that point they'd probably be one of the best available. Since Pittsburgh signed Mitchell I think it's unlikely they'll go after a safety before us, but Dallas may take one of the two.

I'm fine with Hyde making the move to safety, but counting on a 2nd year 5th round converted corner to solve our massive safety problems from last year would be a pretty poor "Plan A".

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

sooooo... did I miss something here? how much did signing peppers help the bears win the division, much less the super bowl? do you actually consider the peppers a success? "hate to burst your bubble" but the bears aren't happy at all right now that they signed peppers.

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sooooo... did I miss something here? how much did signing peppers help the bears win the division, much less the super bowl? do you actually consider the peppers a success? "hate to burst your bubble" but the bears aren't happy at all right now that they signed peppers.

Bears have had a very good defense throughout the years. Peppers has been one of the best DE's in the NFL for years. The problem was not Peppers it is Cutler.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say at least, we do need to sign a defensive lineman or two in free agency that fit our defense. Everything got quiet on Raji lately. I don't think he wants to sign our one year offer, but I haven't heard a peep about him in free agency. I doubt he is generating much interest. If he's not getting any offers, I wouldn't be surprised if our offer to him drops even lower, or at least forces him to earn some of it in incentives.

Safety is an absolute must in the draft. If Pryor or Clinton-Dix is on the board at #21, I'd be shocked if we don't take one. Not only is it our biggest need, but at that point they'd probably be one of the best available. Since Pittsburgh signed Mitchell I think it's unlikely they'll go after a safety before us, but Dallas may take one of the two.

I'm fine with Hyde making the move to safety, but counting on a 2nd year 5th round converted corner to solve our massive safety problems from last year would be a pretty poor "Plan A".

I'm fine with taking one of those safeties in the first as long as the packers feel they're as close to sure thing nfl safeties as possible. The last thing we need is to take guys just because we "need" someone at that position. I certainly haven't lost faith in Burnett and think a combo of him and Hyde could be a passable unit.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still bet we sign a couple of new players when the dust settles. But they'll be cheap bargain guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's true. The thing is though (as of right now, it's possible things could change over the next few weeks) the Packers have lost their starting center, TE, the entire DL starters and still lack impact safeties and ILBs. Don't see how that has made us any better.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's true. The thing is though (as of right now, it's possible things could change over the next few weeks) the Packers have lost their starting center, TE, the entire DL starters and still lack impact safeties and ILBs. Don't see how that has made us any better.

EDS signed with who?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we keep EDS, we will have retained everyone that I wanted to, so I can't complain there.

I'm somewhat okay with Quarless and Bostick going in to training camp as our TE's, but I fear for continued red zone inefficiency. A mid-round project TE would be nice.

I think they announce the comp picks in a day or two here. I hope we get something decent for Jennings and Walden and take advantage.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think they announce the comp picks in a day or two here. I hope we get something decent for Jennings and Walden and take advantage.

They normally announce the compensation picks at the NFL owners meeting, which will be held from March 23-26 this year.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bears won the division and went to the NFC Championship Game the first year Peppers signed. Peppers also made the Pro Bowl in 2010, 2011, 2012, including a First Team All Pro selection in 2010. The Peppers signing wasn't the reason the Bears didn't win a Super Bowl. The Bears never had the offense or offensive coaching (Lovie Smith) to win a Super Bowl.

The Bears aren't happy they signed Peppers four years ago? Huh?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears won the division and went to the NFC Championship Game the first year Peppers signed. Peppers also made the Pro Bowl in 2010, 2011, 2012, including a First Team All Pro selection in 2010. The Peppers signing wasn't the reason the Bears didn't win a Super Bowl. The Bears never had the offense or offensive coaching (Lovie Smith) to win a Super Bowl.

The Bears aren't happy they signed Peppers four years ago? Huh?
This post misses the entire point.

Was Peppers a good player? No doubt. Did that massive signing prevent the Bears from fielding a competitive team around him? ABSOLUTELY!

It's the main point that a lot of people have been making about how free agents can hurt a team. It's not that the players won't help or aren't good, but do the big contracts to more harm than good when the whole team and other positions are factored into the equation.

The Bears weren't a Julius Peppers away from making the Super Bowl. They were an offensive line, a WR corps, and a few other positions away. Peppers helped improve their defense but did nothing to get them closer to post-season success, as they weren't able to properly address other holes on the team.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts