Vikings week 16 for all the marbles

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Vikings offense is potent with or without Cook. Whether that one player would make that much difference is hard to say. They block for all their runners. They have other weapons. We cannot stop all of them. With Cook they get down the field in 5 or 6 plays. Without him it may take them 8 or 10. Now that could be the difference in a close game. Back in their Adrian Peterson days if you took AP out of the lineup it virtually meant defeat for the Vikings. Not now.

I don't know, Cook was responsible for almost 200 yards from the LOS when we first played the Vikings this season. Given that, I would be just fine having him in street clothes Monday night.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope our LB's are reading the Viking Offense better than Clay Matthews did on this play.

LOL......love Cam's comeback!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brees is such a great guy, and congrats on his win tonight and breaking "nationwide is on your side's" record . speaking of which...we play on monday, too. will rodgers be that great guy, too, and score like brees or is it up to our D to disallow vikings a win? stay tuned!

I'm really nervous about this one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rodgers hasn't been that great lately in the evening games. We haven't played very well in MN in the last couple of seasons.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm really nervous about this one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rodgers hasn't been that great lately in the evening games. We haven't played very well in MN in the last couple of seasons.

All true I believe but on the other side of the coin, the Vikings haven't beaten any team with an above 500 record and Cousins is something like 0-8 on Monday Night Football.

So I guess something has to give!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have not played well there since they were in the college stadium outdoors. Zimmer had everything to do with their turnaround. Their last 3 coaches were not made to be head coaches. Rodgers played well in KC at night. We had only won there twice in almost 50 years. Our defense and special teams will have to do it. Rodgers has to protect the ball and get first downs.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Was it an aggravation of the old injury?"

“No, it’s not,’’ Zimmer said.

Vikings are keeping pretty quiet about Cook, which I would too.

I would rather hear that he can't play. He was a one man wrecking crew the last time the Packers and Vikings played. Hurt or not, I'm fine with Cook not suiting up on Monday night.

I am fine with him not suiting up but it is clear outside the Cowboys game teams have figured out a plan to contain him - his explosive plays are way down. Now that is likely what opened up the passing game so we will see what the Packers are able to do.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers have beaten them once this season. Need to do it again. Either this week, to get most of the way to a first round bye, or else we likely see them in the first round of the playoffs. I'd rather beat them now.

The organization has made poor decisions on receivers for the last three years. J'mon Moore - total bust. Letting Jordy go a year too early. Letting Cook go. Letting Cobb go. Rodgers has not been in MVP form this year, but part of that absolutely has to be on the lack of quality receivers.

The Packers would most likely play the Vikings at Lambeau in the playoffs though. The front office made a mistake letting Cook walk away in free agency and drafting Moore but it was right to not retain Nelson and Cobb.

Rodgers played well in KC at night. We had only won there twice in almost 50 years.

To be fair, the Packers have only played in Kansas City a total of seven times.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would most likely play the Vikings at Lambeau in the playoffs though. The front office made a mistake letting Cook walk away in free agency and drafting Moore but it was right to not retain Nelson and Cobb.

To be fair, the Packers have only played in Kansas City a total of seven times.
But you can compare that record of 2 out of 7 with the other NFC North teams. How many times have they won there? One of our victories came in 1987 when Forrest Gregg went to play a terrible KC team. But later we went in there when we were considered the better team or very close to the better team and lost. And that includes our SB champion team of 1996. The fact is that KC is one of the toughest places to go for an opponent. And we beat them there this year. And Andy Reid is every bit as good a game planner as was Marty Schottenheimer.

D

Deleted member 6794

But you can compare that record of 2 out of 7 with the other NFC North teams. How many times have they won there? One of our victories came in 1987 when Forrest Gregg went to play a terrible KC team. But later we went in there when we were considered the better team or very close to the better team and lost. And that includes our SB champion team of 1996. The fact is that KC is one of the toughest places to go for an opponent. And we beat them there this year. And Andy Reid is every bit as good a game planner as was Marty Schottenheimer.

The Bears (3-3) are the only NFC North team having a better record than the Packers (3-4) at Kansas City. The Vikings (1-5) and Lions (1-6) have fared worse playing the Chiefs on the road.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the line opened at -4.5, and has been bet up to -6.

I dont expect the Packers to win but like with the Bears last week I think people are over-hyping how good the Vikings have been lately. Outside the Chargers game they havent been overly impressive in a while.

Chiefs - loss to Matt Moore
Cowboys - won close game
Broncos- barely won
Seahawks - lost
Lions - Won by 10 against a 3rd string undrafted rookie qb
Chargers - Their best game. Forced 7 turnovers including one that turned a halftime deficit into a 9 point lead.

But it isnt like they are playing great. I mean have they really been playing better than the Packers lately
Chiefs - win over Matt Moore
Chargers - huge dud
Panthers - won close game
49ers - huge dud part 2
Giants - won by 18 (and we were disappointed)
Redskins - won close game against bad qb
Bears - won close-ish game

The blowout losses seem to be the difference. I just dont think either team is playing that well. I think the home field is enough for the Vikings to win. Hope I am wrong like I was the first time these teams played

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The blowout losses seem to be the difference. I just dont think either team is playing that well. I think the home field is enough for the Vikings to win. Hope I am wrong like I was the first time these teams played
I agree that, in a vacuum, the Vikings on paper should be able to win this game. But I just cannot bring myself to pick Kirk Cousins over Aaron Rodgers in primetime.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had forgotten the Vikes are currently 2-2 in division play while the Pack sit at 4-0. Crazy how big some of those early games can be.

Anyway, the good news about Monday is that we can wrap the division up with a win. But even if we don't, we don't lose it because we'd be tied with them at 11-4 but can still hold it by winning in Detroit. And short of guaranteeing a win there, I've got 99℅ confidence we win there with this news

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-place-quarterback-matthew-stafford-on-reserve-injured

BUT ....

There's a few other things at play

The 2 NFC West teams likely both win this week which would put that division winner at 13-3

There is a possibility the Saints could lose to the Titans, but not sure if we'd retain the tie breaker on them in that case if we both finished 12-4. Saints have the Panthers next week, a game I wouldn't bank on them losing.

Best chance to get to Miami would be winning on Monday imo.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Best chance to get to Miami would be winning on Monday imo.

Winning out gives the Packers at minimum the #2 seed and potentially the #1. So yes, winning on Monday Night is a step in the right direction towards Miami. A first Round Bye and potentially hosting 1 if not both playoff games, could be just the edge that this team would need to get to the Super Bowl. Imagine the Saints having to come to Green Bay on Jan. 12th and the Seahawks following them into the Frozen Tundra on the 19th!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears (3-3) are the only NFC North team having a better record than the Packers (3-4) at Kansas City. The Vikings (1-5) and Lions (1-6) have fared worse playing the Chiefs on the road.
So we beat an outstanding team in a difficult place to play. Now let's beat another outstanding team this week.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah as really wished this was flexed to Sunday Night not Monday IMHO!

Monday night games can't be flexed.

There is a possibility the Saints could lose to the Titans, but not sure if we'd retain the tie breaker on them in that case if we both finished 12-4. Saints have the Panthers next week, a game I wouldn't bank on them losing.

The Packers would win a tie-breaker over the Saints if they both finish 12-4 with New Orleans losing to the Panthers.

The Saints are guaranteed to win a tie-breaker at 12-4 if they lose to the Titans and the Packers lose at Minnesota.

It gets complicated if both teams finish the season at 12-4 if the Packers win at Minnesota but lose at Detroit and the Saints lose at Tennessee.

So we beat an outstanding team in a difficult place to play. Now let's beat another outstanding team this week.

The Packers benefitted from not having to face Mahomes though.