Vikes Transition Tag B.Williams

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings placed their transition player tag on cornerback Brian Williams today, giving them the ability to match any offer he might receive on the free agent market.

Williams' contract expires next week and he is eligible for unrestricted free agency. By making him their transition player, the Vikings in essence offered him a one-year, $4.774 million guaranteed contract that he can sign at any time. That figure is the average of the 10 highest paid-cornerbacks in the NFL last season.

But Williams almost certainly will receive heavy interest on the free agent market after he deposed starter Fred Smoot midway through the 2005 season. The Vikings would then be faced with a decision to match any offer sheet Williams signs or allow him to move on. They would receive no compensation if he leaves.

Today is the deadline for NFL teams to place transition or franchise tags on players. The Vikings decided against franchising Williams because it is unlikely any team would agree to give them two first-round picks in order to sign Williams, as they would be required to do under the franchise definition.

Neither Williams nor team officials were immediately available for comment.

(end of article)

Interesting. We will have to pay at least $4.7 million to get him, at least. For that price I can live with our corners. I can think of alot of other areas to spend our cap space.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well......HOPEFULLY someone will make him an outrageous offer, and force the Queens to match it!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could get to be even more with a new CBA agreement....either way, TT put this team in a position to be active and make a huge jump from 4-12 to playoff contention in one year! If Favre retires, it's even more and they can get in the Drew Brees sweepstakes.

Before P@ck66 responds to this, I WANT FAVRE BACK NEXT YEAR! There, I should be covered now...

Members online

Latest posts