1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Very Interesting if Kampman can't play

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by DILLIGAFF, Nov 12, 2009.

1. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Very Interesting if Kampman can't play
    We maybe looking at another rookie, Brad Jones, playing outside LB. Brady P. is injured and I am not sure whats up with Thompson. Jones is getting reps in practice with the starters as Kampman recovers from a bad concussion and is questionable at best to play on Sunday.

Jones development has been slow this year due to an injury early in camp. Jone's college experience is playing in the 3-4 defense, a true outside LB. He is the smallest, at only 231 pounds compared to Kampman 260 lbs and Thompson at 270 lbs. I think Clay Mathews and Brady P. are in 240 lbs.

I am a big fan of Kampman and hate to see him struggling in this new defense. I would like to see what a faster and quicker LB can do in the pass rush and the pass defense. This could be the start of the ending of Kampman in a Green Bay uniform if we stick with the 3-4 defense. Not that Jones has to be better than Kampman, just play as good.

I do believe Jones should be better in covering tight ends and running backs in the pass defense, which is where Kampman has been struggling. So if he is at all productive in the run stopping or pass rush I think Kampmans days are numbered.

Like I said this is very interesting, a lot of unknowns. If Jones does play well against the Cowboys, what do you do with Kampman the rest of the year? :dontknow:
    [​IMG]

2. bad93ex

bad93ex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    I was wondering who they would have come in for Kampman. I think being at 230 would make him a liability in the run.

3. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    If they play Kampman, they should fire everybody right now. The guy just had a CONCUSSION, it may be very well a death risk to put him out there.

4. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree and sounds like he stayed in too long in Tampa.

5. doughsellz

doughsellz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Very true. With everything the docs are revealing lately regarding the permanent health risks to players who are rushed back into playing too soon after the initial trauma it'd be negligent for the team to rule him ready to play this week.

It wouldn't surprise me if some lawsuits aren't on the horizon for the league from past players suffering permanent damage from their football related concussions. I think it was a former New England LB that is the latest to come forward with his sotry of multiple concussions causing severe headaches & ultimately depression.

Mandatory IR may be forthcoming, or something less drastic like a special PUP list for this type of injury. It's a violent game but something needs to be done to protect these players.

6. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Could be one of those "defining moments" where one player misses time and never starts again. But, remember I wrote "could".

Kampman's not a linebacker, so I'm interested to see our 3-4 with an actual 3-4 linebacker.

7. Passepartout

Passepartout December to Remember!

Ratings:
    +27
    Wait until he is done with his concussion and that he's healthy enough to play.

8. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I agree with you... I, too, want to see what an actual 3-4 OLB, though not as good as Kampman, can do.

Maybe some serious competition will fire Kampman to be the beast he was till now. And it's not just that he's playing in space. We have been playing him as a DE, and he has done squat.

9. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Thats what makes the timing of this injury so interesting. Kampman has had 8 games to prove himself in the new position. Our opponent is Dallas so if Thompson or Jones plays well its not like the excuse could be made that they were playing inferior talent.

I am really big fan of Kampman, but it has been clear to me that he just does not fit the position, one only has to look to the other side at Clay Mathews to see that.