TT should be fired

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Did you watch his interview Gakk ? Seriously, what makes you feel good about him right now ?

i think anybody who disliked Sherman is a TT proponent right now. personally i think a GM needs a few seasons before he can be realistically evaluated. if he brings in a weak coach, those praises will dissapear just as fast as they started...which was pretty much today right? lol...

GBnative

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
DePack..

I wonder if TT spoke to Sherman and said that Rossley has to go and Sherman said "no"...

Guess we'll never know....

The "only" reason to have kept his lame *** in GB is if Brett wouldn't come back because of it...and we don't know that to be a fact.....

TT was asked this question during the press conference this morning. He said quite emphatically that nothing like this was discussed with Sherman. He was not presented with any options that would allow him to stay.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take off the sentimental glasses and look at this TT/BF issue

As Gakk had alluded to in another post, BRETT IS NOT THE FUTURE OF THE FRANCHISE! The Pack will need to move on w/out him really soon whether he retires now or in a year. Building a SB champ in 2 years usually requires hasty decisions that can hurt a team in the long run (just ask MS) and this team is a BOATLOAD of FA moves and draft picks from the SB.

I enjoy watching BF too, and want him back, but he's also probably not going to aide the rebuilding process that needs to happen

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right musccy but I would respect the guy a little more if he came right out and said it instead of weasiling his way through this transition by trying to make it look like that is not his agenda.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold on here. If Mike Sherman's record was 12-4 or 13- 3, or maybe even 10-6 he might still be employed by the Packers. I too was surprised when TT gave Sherman two more years on his contract, but I do believe at that point that he thought Mike was the man. Although his team didn't quit on him and played hard every Sunday, it was also a team that was often ill prepared. What TT is guilty of, if anything, is not canning Sherman earlier and giving Bates an on the job audition.

I think TT made exactly the right choice. For whatever reason Sherman's hype became stale and the team just didn't get better. Let's move on.

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack I agree with you 100%. TT pi$$ed away $6.4M because he's not man enough to take a stand. This guy isn't a leader, he's a slimey politican. He doesn't bleed green and gold, his whole agenda is to get a contract extention for himself in 3 years. He needs Favre gone now because he can't be breaking in a new QB when his contract is up. TT won't stand up and say it, so TT gets out his dogged earred copy of "The Prince" and gets rid of Favre's supporting cast in '05. Then doesn't resign any unrestricted free agents during the year(how many $$ did the Packers not use to resign FA this year?). Now he fires the coach and claims we need a new direction. That is how TT kicks Favre out.

I never thought Harlen would leave the Packer Nation like this. I thought Harlen was stand up guy, someone that believed in the Packer's values of Pride, Honor, and Loyality. This morning at lunch our family actually discussed giving up our season tickets after 38 years. We have been betrayed Packer fans. And it has come from the deep within 1265.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so let me get this right...cuz im strugglin with it..

TT is only thinking about his extension in 3 years, thats why he doesnt want favre to stay, cuz he cant be breaking in a new QB during contract time. Right?

But...

1. 6.5 mil gone is 6.5 mil gone. be it now, be it in 2009. That will be looked at during contract time regardless of what he does with favre.

2. If TT is only thinking about his contract extension...what would be a good way to get the big payday? Wins, right? I think TT would win more games with Favre from 2006-2009 than he would by breaking in a new QB (rodgers,leinart,carr,etc).

Your theory doesnt make sense (to me).

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz, even I don't think Favre would ever play the '08 or '09 season. When TT's contract is up or the year before('09 or '10), if he has a playoff team he will be given a contract extention. No one will remember '05, '06, or '07! How many games he won or where he spent the money, everything is targeted towards the ''09 or '10 season. The money issue only shows me that he isn't a leader. In my opinion, a leader would evaluate Sherman and make a decision. If that evaluation takes a season, that so be it. Giving Sherman the money before the evaluation served no purpose. If he did the evaluation and changed it during the season, then I question his decision making skills on a larger scale? Is this really the guy to lead us? The contract extention for Sherman was a huge mistake. If TT was accountable to someone, how would he justify this? I sure couldn't to my boss.

But, my real problem is that no one will remember he had Hall of Fame QB in '05 possiblity in '06 who could lead us to a Super Bowl. TT traded a shot at the Super Bowl '05 or '06 for a chance at a playoff caliber team when his contract was up in '09 or '10. I said it just after the '05 draft and nothing during this season has changed my mind. TT's only concern is getting a contract extention in '09 or '10 it's not about winning Championships.

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Kyle, this isn't over with yet. Harlen still has a couple of months to stand up.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm actually pretty shocked several hrs after the firing. how many coaches have we had that had a winning record 5 out of 6 years and won 3 division titles?

if i was a betting man, i would says brett's decision just got a whole lot easier. you can talk about moving on with your rebuilding all you want, but the bottomline is that, the best chance that the packers have to win a game is with #4. that's the name of the game, win.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To all you TT hero-worshippers, please answer this question. Did TT make a mistake and **** away 6.4 million in August? If not he made one yesterday....you can't have it both ways.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
To all you TT hero-worshippers, please answer this question. Did TT make a mistake and **** away 6.4 million in August? If not he made one yesterday....you can't have it both ways.

Actually the contract extension for Sherman was not even one of TT's biggest mistakes last year.

His biggest mistake was not signing Wahle, followed by not finding proven replacements at OG. Of course there was the total lack of action in the offseason. Then there was his not signing Franks right away to give him TC work, only to end up paying Franks the same contract anyway. Then the mistake of not yet signing either Kampman or Longwell to a new contract during the season in order to use the $1.9 million in 2005 cap room (I hope he still has time to correct that mistake.) After that is the multiple mistakes in not acquiring capable replacements when players got injured.

TT did end up having a good draft. But remember that he made his best draft pick, Nick Collins, reportedly because of Sherman. TT has much to prove this offseason. Harlan hired him not because he was the best candidate, but because he would work well with Sherman.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not at all pleased with that $6.4 million contract extension, and I don't feel any differently about it today. All I can do is guess at possible explanations. It could be, for example, that Harlan put some pressure on Thompson to give the extension so that Sherman would have a fair shot at motivating his players this year.

Another consideration that's not being mentioned, maybe because I'm wrong about this, is that if Sherman gets another head coaching job the Packers would only have to pay the difference between his $3.2 million Packer salariy and his salary with the new team. And if Sherman gets the same salary or a higher salary with his new team, the Packers would have to pay nothing. Does anybody know if this is true?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I was not at all pleased with that $6.4 million contract extension, and I don't feel any differently about it today. All I can do is guess at possible explanations. It could be, for example, that Harlan put some pressure on Thompson to give the extension so that Sherman would have a fair shot at motivating his players this year.

Another consideration that's not being mentioned, maybe because I'm wrong about this, is that if Sherman gets another head coaching job the Packers would only have to pay the difference between his $3.2 million Packer salariy and his salary with the new team. And if Sherman gets the same salary or a higher salary with his new team, the Packers would have to pay nothing. Does anybody know if this is true?

You are correct Greg. GB only owes the difference in salary for Sherman and nothing if he gets paid equal to or more than that contract. But Sherman may decide to sit out a year and just collect his money from GB, although I believe that is unlikely. Sherman will be the top candidate for many teams in the next couple of weeks.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this angst for TT for cleaning up the mess, and none for MS who literally pissed 3 years of Favre's career away. Very selective outrage if you ask me.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kuston said:
tromadz, even I don't think Favre would ever play the '08 or '09 season. When TT's contract is up or the year before('09 or '10), if he has a playoff team he will be given a contract extention. No one will remember '05, '06, or '07! How many games he won or where he spent the money, everything is targeted towards the ''09 or '10 season. The money issue only shows me that he isn't a leader. In my opinion, a leader would evaluate Sherman and make a decision. If that evaluation takes a season, that so be it. Giving Sherman the money before the evaluation served no purpose. If he did the evaluation and changed it during the season, then I question his decision making skills on a larger scale? Is this really the guy to lead us? The contract extention for Sherman was a huge mistake. If TT was accountable to someone, how would he justify this? I sure couldn't to my boss.

But, my real problem is that no one will remember he had Hall of Fame QB in '05 possiblity in '06 who could lead us to a Super Bowl. TT traded a shot at the Super Bowl '05 or '06 for a chance at a playoff caliber team when his contract was up in '09 or '10. I said it just after the '05 draft and nothing during this season has changed my mind. TT's only concern is getting a contract extention in '09 or '10 it's not about winning Championships.

Does ANYONE care about the previous years when we are a playoff team in 3 years? I know the bears don't do now. I know I won't then.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
All this angst for TT for cleaning up the mess, and none for MS who literally pissed 3 years of Favre's career away. Very selective outrage if you ask me.

Sherman's many mistakes have been well chronicled on this Forum and agree that there were many. I don't think that TT should be fired yet, but he has a lot to prove and has done little to this point.

Also, I do not agree that Sherman pissed away any years of Favre's career. All of Sherman's moves were done to help the team win now. That lead to his mistakes as a GM, because his GM decisions were made from a HC's point of view rather than a GM's. It is why Sherman did not make a good GM. A good GM looks to build toward the future while making the team better.

TT is the exact opposite from Sherman at GM -- he builds for the future at the expense of the present. TT needs to continue to build for the future, but also work on the present. He will not be a good GM until he can do just that.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaches are like Generals in the military. Some have "it" while others just put together nice if undistinguished careers.

That being said, who would you rather have leading your troops into battle, Patton or Montgomery (Monty)? Patton had "it" and his record IN BATTLE attests to that. Monty always wanted to play it safe and, in the end, had a nice if undistinguished career. Oh, the Brits will hold him up as something special in the name of national pride, but when you compare their credentials, there is really no comparison.

Sherman is Montgomery!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A coach who, even when blessed with one of the most potent offenses in recent history, could not muster any more that the first round of the playoffs. Well, now...there is something to hang your hat on.

The biggest indictment against Sherman and crew is that they lost control of Brett Favre by tolerating all the little mistakes that crept back into his game since their arrival. They were too in awe of the guy to give him the coaching, and perhaps sometimes an ***-chewing, that he needs to remain focused.

They rode the guy until his wheels fell off and he broke down (mentally)...now that is an admirable legacy to leave behind!

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bullsh1t digs....count the anti-Sherman threads and then count the anti-Thompson threads. This is one thread. The man controls the future of this team. Everybody wanted Sherman to go...now they all got chubbies about it. I think it is fair to quetion TT. He's been very inconsistent.

Members online

Latest posts