TT should be fired

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I personally would prefer drastic surgery that cleans up the mess TT inherited quickly, versus the Band-Aid approach some call for that prolongs the team's full recovery.

And leave my chubbie out of future threads, OK!! LOL

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT inherited a 10-6 team that had won three straight division titles. How did he clean up a mess his first year? We were 4-12....besides this is a TT thread ...Sherman's gone....the continual bashing of him shows that to some of you guys it is personal.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Financial mess, DePack! Sherman kept building for today, and spent big money in doing so...oftentime wrongly, rather than thinking of the future.

Plus he inherited a QB that had regressed to damn near rookie form under the guidance of this staff.

Hey, agree to disagree...we are all hoping for the best for the team. While we may view a different path to that end, we are all in this together.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Financial mess, DePack! Sherman kept building for today, and spent big money in doing so...oftentime wrongly, rather than thinking of the future.

Plus he inherited a QB that had regressed to damn near rookie form under the guidance of this staff.

Hey, agree to disagree...we are all hoping for the best for the team. While we may view a different path to that end, we are all in this together.

Cry about cap problems all you like, but Sherman inherited a worse cap situation from Wolf when he took over as GM. Sherman made a lot of mistakes as GM, but he kept the team competitive the whole time.

I agree with the decision to relieve Sherman of his GM duties, but TT still has a lot to prove that he's better. Thusfar he hasn't done it.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby, I keep reading in several of your posts you comparing Sherman inheriting Wolf's salary cap and TT inheriting Shermans. What you're missing is that Wolf's teams were full of pro-bowlers that demanded high salaries. The cap that TT inherited was that high because of guys like Joe Johnson and Cletidus Hunt.

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT sat pat this year to evaluate the talent that was on this team. He basically did nothing on the defensive side and look how much better they were. I think his plan was to let's see how these guys perform under a better defensive coach and scheme and then he will fill in where needed. The offensive side was to be the strong point and under the direction of Sherman, it was not that way. Now that TT has plenty of room to sign some free agents I think he will. He got rid of a stale and predictable offense. Look for 2006 to be exciting. I would start by signing Hutchinson away from Seattle. He knows the west coast offense and is a very athletic guard.

IRBeerman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From my understanding the Packers not even high on Rodgers, so that could have been a total waste of a draft pick.

Ted Thompson is a total weasal and is using the firing of Sherman to send Favre into retiremnt.

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack wrote

"The biggest indictment against Sherman and crew is that they lost control of Brett Favre by tolerating all the little mistakes that crept back into his game since their arrival. They were too in awe of the guy to give him the coaching, and perhaps sometimes an ***-chewing, that he needs to remain focused.

They rode the guy until his wheels fell off and he broke down (mentally)...now that is an admirable legacy to leave behind"

Did anyone ever think that the Three Stooges (Sherman, Rosley and Bevell) have no knowledge or idea how to play QB in the NFL or to coach one. That's why you'd never see Sherman in Brett's face like Holmgren, he had nothing to offer.

In all SherRosley's years in GB have they developed any QB or succesor to Brett. It should have been apparent to those genius' that Brett could not play or stay healthy forever. Holmgren was always drafting a QB or bringing one he would try to develop, (Brunell, Detmer, Brooks, Hasselback, And Pederson to name a few). I think this was a big reason TT let Sherman go, he wants someone with knowledge and a proven record to develop Rodgers.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT sat pat this year to evaluate the talent that was on this team. He basically did nothing on the defensive side and look how much better they were. I think his plan was to let's see how these guys perform under a better defensive coach and scheme and then he will fill in where needed. The offensive side was to be the strong point and under the direction of Sherman, it was not that way. Now that TT has plenty of room to sign some free agents I think he will. He got rid of a stale and predictable offense. Look for 2006 to be exciting. I would start by signing Hutchinson away from Seattle. He knows the west coast offense and is a very athletic guard.

TT openly admitted last offseason that he isn't big on signing FA's and prefers to build through the draft. The term he used to describe free agency was "minefield". Doesn't sound to me like a guy that's going to jump into the market. I think he will be more active than last year, but still cautious compared to a lot of people's standards.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Heard on Mike & the Mad Dog today...

"Mike Sherman is a very over-rated coach..."

and it's true....

Let's move on & support the next coach of the GB Packers...whoever he is....

(and whoever he is...he's gotta be better then Sherman...who was a disgrace...)

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RIGHT ON !!!! P@ck 66, it's been a frustrating five years of under-achievement. The Pack should've been in the SB in 2003.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
"Mike Sherman is a very over-rated coach..."

and it's true....
[\quote]

it's true, its true...

whoever cites Sherman's record as grounds for not firing him obviously hasn't been following this team...the guys on Around the Horn are appalled by Sherman's firing...even with our pile of injuries, there were more games we should've won (detroit week one with everyone still healthy, cleveland, carolina, maybe closer vs. pittsburgh, tampa bay...), no, the man sucks as a gameday coach--

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
TT inherited a 10-6 team that had won three straight division titles. How did he clean up a mess his first year? We were 4-12....besides this is a TT thread ...Sherman's gone....the continual bashing of him shows that to some of you guys it is personal.

Gotta Love that Teddy the Termite because by the time he is finished with his full blown destruction of this team, not to many people will.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
I'd rather have a coach that won 3 straight division titles and had one bad year out of 6.

really, id rather have someone who could get us some conference titles or maybe a...whats it called...SUPERBOWL!

Why some of you want to stay in mediocrity(and yes, making the playoffs and doing nothing with it when your team has the talent[we did, maybe not now] IS mediocre)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts: Thanks for the reply on my salary question. It's funny that nobody mentions it. And it does redeem the contract extension at least partially, knowing that if Sherman is hired elsewhere the Packers will only have to pay the difference between the new team's contract and the Packers' contract--which may be nothing. So the two-year extension, followed by Sherman's firing, is more like a calculated risk, with decent odds, rather than just throwing away that $6.4 million.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Sherman's contract, wasn't it 2 years for $6.4 million? Why is everyone saying TT threw away $6.4 million? (and I don't mean because of the 2005 season)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was there a buyout clause for sucking...or something like that?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Bobby, I keep reading in several of your posts you comparing Sherman inheriting Wolf's salary cap and TT inheriting Shermans. What you're missing is that Wolf's teams were full of pro-bowlers that demanded high salaries. The cap that TT inherited was that high because of guys like Joe Johnson and Cletidus Hunt.

So many posters argue that TT couldn't sign either Wahle or Rivera because of the cap situation he inherited from Sherman. I've been pointing out that TT could have worked the cap in order to sign one of them, but instead he decided that our 2 pro-bowl guards were expendable.

It does not matter if the cap problem was created with pro-bowlers or average Joes, the solution would be the same. TT choose to not even negotiate with either player.

If you don't think it could be done, then here are some numbers:
2005 cap: http://members.cox.net/cappage/2005cap.htm

GB is $1.9 million under the cap to end the year. Cost for Klemm (he wouldn't have been needed if Wahle was signed): ~1 million this season.

A contract with a $10 million signing bonus for 5 years = $2 million/year for signing bonus. Add base salary of $600k for first year (typical since the player just got the big signing bonus.)

Wahle cap cost for 2005 = $2.6 million. 2.9 - 2.6 = $300k left. That's without any other movements to create cap room.

I agree with many posters about the large number of mistakes made by Sherman as GM. Sherman should not have been GM. But this thread is about the quality of TT as GM and I've merely been using Sherman's poor work at the job as an example to show that TT could have signed either Wahle or Rivera regardless of our cap problems this year.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OVER-RATED...how? Outside of Green Bay nobody even heard of him! I'm ready to let Sherman go but I'm not ready to suck face with Thompson yet....like so many of you are. How he handles Favre in the next few months will determine his fate with me.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is going to have major Public Relation problems soon as his true agenda for our team is starting to become obvious and leak out. TT's only hope at redemption now is as DePack states:

"How he handles Favre in the next few months will determine his fate for me" as it will for a lot of Packer fans.

I am really curious to see how "Tricky Teddy" intends to play his hand now.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
sixone220 said:
I'd rather have a coach that won 3 straight division titles and had one bad year out of 6.

really, id rather have someone who could get us some conference titles or maybe a...whats it called...SUPERBOWL!

Why some of you want to stay in mediocrity(and yes, making the playoffs and doing nothing with it when your team has the talent[we did, maybe not now] IS mediocre)

I wouldnt call shermans body of work mediocre in playoffs four out of six years

Consider only two teams out of 32 play in the superbowl I would say making it to the playoffs four of six years and three division Championships is not to shabby.

Bottom line is TT wants a differant direction. I dont think he envisions Favre being part of it. Look for the next two years to be slim pickings with a developing QB.

Members online

Latest posts