TT should be fired

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The year before Mike Sherman was hired the Packers finished 4th in the 5 team Central Division. Tampa Bay, Minnesota and Detroit went to the playoffs while Green Bay stayed home.

As for this powerful offense he inherited -- it gave up 35 sacks that season and Favre had thrown more interceptions (23) than TDs (22). The offense finished with barely as many yards as it gave up and the season's point total (357) were also barely in the positive vs what was given up (341) -- 22.3 to 21.3 or outscoring its opponents by a whooping 1 point per game.

Chicago, who finished 5th in the division and way out of the playoffs with 4 - 12 record had a better offense (yards and points) than Green Bay in the 1999 season.

As people pointed out many times -- the salary cap was a huge mess and things looked very bleak as even LeRoy Butler declared he was disgusted with how "weak" the Packers had become.

I agree that Mike Sherman's day is now history, but let's not distort reality to make ourselves feel better.

Unless of course you are pointing out that Favre had regressed to almost his rookie form in 1999 when he had more interceptions than TDs and finished with a QB rating of 74 the year before Sherman took over.

digsthepack said:
Financial mess, DePack! Sherman kept building for today, and spent big money in doing so...oftentime wrongly, rather than thinking of the future.

Plus he inherited a QB that had regressed to damn near rookie form under the guidance of this staff.

Hey, agree to disagree...we are all hoping for the best for the team. While we may view a different path to that end, we are all in this together.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
If TT can get a coach that convinces Brett to come back (like Mooch) then I will forgive him. If not he can get his prematuringly grey *** out of town.

Hey sense when does the whole Packer orginazation revolve around Brett Favre? We shouldn't be out there looking for a coach so that Favre will come back. Yeah that would be nice and I really hope it happens but I dont think we should hire a coach based on if Favre will stay or not. And like I have said before I dont think Favre wants the Packers to do that. He has too much respect of the orginazation.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhhhh...words of wisdom, agopackgo4. Would love to have him back, but the reality is the organization cannot operate in the vacuum of the now without consideration for the future.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Winning the Division isn't what it used to be. There are EIGHT of them now. You beat out 3 other teams and get a Dvision Title.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
DePack said:
If TT can get a coach that convinces Brett to come back (like Mooch) then I will forgive him. If not he can get his prematuringly grey *** out of town.

Hey sense when does the whole Packer orginazation revolve around Brett Favre? We shouldn't be out there looking for a coach so that Favre will come back. Yeah that would be nice and I really hope it happens but I dont think we should hire a coach based on if Favre will stay or not. And like I have said before I dont think Favre wants the Packers to do that. He has too much respect of the orginazation.

Hey "SENSE" 1992....where have you been?

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman is a quality person, but we needed a change.

But so far, TT is a failure of a general manager. He blew it by not re-signing Wahle, and then not finding replacements. Except that he did get rid of a few overpriced players, TT has really hurt the Pack. We really aren't that far away, if we have a GM who can evaluate talent and is willing to pay fo rit.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:
Sherman is a quality person, but we needed a change.

But so far, TT is a failure of a general manager. He blew it by not re-signing Wahle, and then not finding replacements. Except that he did get rid of a few overpriced players, TT has really hurt the Pack. We really aren't that far away, if we have a GM who can evaluate talent and is willing to pay fo rit.

I agree that sherman seemed like a decent guy(even this we dont know, he coulda been a wife beater or child molester for all we know) and I wish him the best of luck, but a change was needed.

However, TT as a failure at GM...I disagree. Wahle even said the money that he was offered from a different team was ridiculously large and didnt blame GB for not matching it. He pretty much said he is overpaid. Do you want our GM to overpay people? Or how about keep people on who couldnt play in arena leagues like Cledius Hunt or Joey Thomas? Cuz he cut those guys. That doesnt sound like a failure to me. Good or bad, thats fine and dandy, but a failure? Seems a little harsh.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey..

You're the guy in your avatar wearing the "wife beater"...

So what is it that we don't know about you???

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IRBeerman said:
Ted Thompson is a total weasal and is using the firing of Sherman to send Favre into retiremnt.

Could Not Agree More. Hope Bob can stop it all before it's too Late.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And with any luck all this speculation is wrong but I for one do not want to see the Pack end up with any type of tarnished image just because Teddy "may" be a little to quick with this decision.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting back to the contract extension: The $6.4 million owed to Sherman doesn't bother me too much because by today's standards it is not a huge amount of money for an NFL franchise, it is not part of the salary cap, and if Sherman gets another head coaching job the Packers will have to pay little or none of it anyway.

What DOES stick in my craw, though, is that in his first year as GM, Ted Thompson has already sent a message to the rest of the league: That a contract extension from him means nothing in terms of actually keeping someone in their job. If Sherman had lost the team it would've been a different story, but he clearly did not lose the team. They supported him till the end and played hard. Thompson said that the 4-12 record had nothing to do with the firing. So Sherman was fired for reasons that were pretty much apparent before the contract extension anyway. Thompson said he wanted to give Sherman a fair chance to succeed, but while he gave him the contract extension, he did not give him the players he needed to succeed this year. It was a bad decision by Thompson. Maybe he saw it as the best way to get himself out of an awkward situation, but I hope he makes better decisions from now on.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Press member- "Is Brett Favre included in your change of direction?

Ted Thompson- "No"

Yeah, Teddy is a real Leader alright !!! :evil:

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gee thats funny ZERO because all you have to do is listen to the interview where Ted relieves Mike of his duties at packers.com.

Reporter "Is Brett Farve included in your plans for change of direction?"

Teddy " No, not that I know of, No" " You mean that am I gonna fire Brett ?" no.

Then he goes on to say AGAIN "No he's not a part of it"

Please do your research before you attack me thankyou.

Greg ( who asked in a polite way ) at packers.com in his interview on Mike.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Gee thats funny ZERO because all you have to do is listen to the interview where Ted relieves Mike of his duties at packers.com.

Teddy " No, not that I know of, No" " You mean that am I gonna fire Brett ?" no.

thats a slanted question...because the change of direction, in my opinion, occurs when Favre retires--Favre retires, whenever that is, the direction changes

Ted Thompson fired Mike Sherman...all season this forum was 75/25 in favor of this happening...I can't see why Sherman getting canned has everybody pissed off

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Ted Thompson fired Mike Sherman...all season this forum was 75/25 in favor of this happening...I can't see why Sherman getting canned has everybody pissed off"

Javon, in all honesty I was never pissed about the firing because although I liked Mike I was never smart enough on the technical aspects of his coaching ability to know if this was the right move or not.

"Teddy" on the other hand is a different story. I see No positive leadership here at all for a variety of reasons and am afraid not only for the team but the teams future image at this point.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:

Greg ( who asked in a polite way ) at packers.com in his interview on Mike.

lol don't get your ******* in a bunch :)

btw i am the richest man

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winnepeg: I do remember that quote now, but I thought the question was about Favre being included in the decision-making process, which he isn't because he's a player.

It's true that Thompson's support for Favre has been lukewarm at best. The cold, hard reality is that you can't build a young team around an aging QB who is playing on a year-by-year basis. Thompson's agenda at this time is very different from Favre's. I suspect Thompson would welcome back Favre for one more year at best. But at this point Favre can see the writing on the wall and I doubt he will return unless somebody familiar like Mariucci is hired as head coach or OC.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Not once when I watched the interview with TT today did I hear him say " We really want Brett to come back and lead this team".

I had givin TT the benefit of the doubt up until now but this guy smooth talked his way right through the interview.

100 % rebuilding mode is where he is at and he is not looking at any type of run for next year with Brett. In fact I get the feeling he would be happy to see him go so he could start his rebuild mode "completley" right now.

Sorry, that's just what I see.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10631171/

“Maybe ... they don’t know how to tell Brett Favre, ‘We want to go in a different direction,â€

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Greg, most appreciated.

Longtimefan, I think the "writting is on the wall" .

In my opinion the only question left is how all this will be percieved ? and I really think that the "innocent image' for lack of better words that many fans of the Green Bay Organization may be lost after this is all over.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
For what ever reason I do not think TT is lying about anything..It is almost like you either hate the guy or like him...No middle ground...

Members online

Latest posts