When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
But why must we assume that TT didn't do his due diligence? Just because he didn't verbally make a player an offer doesn't mean he didn't examine the possibilities.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But why must we assume that TT didn't do his due diligence? Just because he didn't verbally make a player an offer doesn't mean he didn't examine the possibilities.
Perhaps Thompson and staff evaluated both Trevathan and Green and determined they didn't want either of them, even at a relatively "bargain" price. That's unlikely IMO. The due diligence I was talking about is after determining a FA could help the team (IMO it's obvious both could help) to contact the agent of those players and find out where they are in negotiations. Any sane agent would be delighted to have a team ask that the agent get back to them with their best offer before signing. If that had happened and Thompson on the phone with his personnel team still decided against going after either, I still would be disappointed but I'd at least think the Packers did their jobs.

We can't know for sure who the Packers talked to but here's Dougherty's story citing an NFL source in which he says the Packers didn't contact the agent of either Trevathan or Green.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ackers-can-find-free-agent-bargains/81670040/

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Perhaps Thompson and staff evaluated both Trevathan and Green and determined they didn't want either of them, even at a relatively "bargain" price. That's unlikely IMO. The due diligence I was talking about is after determining a FA could help the team (IMO it's obvious both could help) to contact the agent of those players and find out where they are in negotiations. Any sane agent would be delighted to have a team ask that the agent get back to them with their best offer before signing. If that had happened and Thompson on the phone with his personnel team still decided against going after either, I still would be disappointed but I'd at least think the Packers did their jobs.

We can't know for sure who the Packers talked to but here's Dougherty's story citing an NFL source in which he says the Packers didn't contact the agent of either Trevathan or Green.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ackers-can-find-free-agent-bargains/81670040/
Yes, and is it possible they didn't contact them because they came to an earlier conclusion that they were not a fit? Can any of us say that we know from the horse's mouth that those players weren't even considered?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Because when someone is looking for ammunition to criticize someone, any little scrap of information can be made to look like it proves their point. I'm not saying TT did due his due diligence, all I am saying is you really can't conclude 100% that he didn't based on Trevathan's statement to James Jones. Also, just because TT publicly appeared to show no interest in Trevathan and maybe none in Green as well, two players that us fans (me included) thought were the answers to our needs, doesn't necessarily mean he didn't do his due diligence on both players in the time leading up to the FA period. I have no problem discussing why he should have signed both guys, but he didn't for reasons we may never know. I just find it hard to conclude that TT had his head stuck in the sand throughout the process simply because he didn't contact Trevathan.

To me this news is right up there with people criticizing TT, Belichick and any other GM for being at college Pro Days on the opening day of free agency. Would you rather have your #1 Scout out scouting talent or sitting in an office making phones calls, that he can very well do through other people or at the Pro Day as well.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trevathon and Green are instant upgrades. The Packers have the cap space to sign either player. It's just pure negligence to not kick the tires on players who would improve glaring weaknesses on the team. With Nelson, Mathews, Sutton all overy 30 the window is rapidly closing on a Super Bowl run. If TT won't do his job, he should be demoted to the job that he really does which is college scout. Trevathon publicly admitted that TT never even lifted the phone for one minute go give him a call. A guy in TT's position should give playes like Trevathon or Lardarius Green a call out of respect even if he doesn't think they are a good fit for the team. What do you think Trevathon or Green will say to teammates about the Packers? Not good if the Packers want to go after other players in free agency. But then, maybe TT has no intention to use all methods to improve the team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I just find it hard to conclude that TT had his head stuck in the sand throughout the process simply because he didn't contact Trevathan.

To me this news is right up there with people criticizing TT, Belichick and any other GM for being at college Pro Days on the opening day of free agency. Would you rather have your #1 Scout out scouting talent or sitting in an office making phones calls, that he can very well do through other people or at the Pro Day as well.

Excellent

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
A guy in TT's position should give playes like Trevathon or Lardarius Green a call out of respect even if he doesn't think they are a good fit for the team.

How many other teams made these same phone calls that you feel TT should have made to players that he didn't "think were a good fit for the team"? How far down the list of all of the 2016 NFL Free Agents does TT have to go, with phone calls to each player, before he gets credit for being a GM who pays respect to FA's? What does he say in these conversations? "Hi Danny, this is TT, just wanted to say that we aren't interested in your services, but think the world of you and wish you the best of luck!"

I get it, fans (myself included) think we should have pursued and possibly signed DT and/or LG, but we didn't....or more accurately....the Packers did not sign either of them. I just think people are over connecting the dots in the Trevathan situation to try and use it to say TT isn't doing his job...he isn't doing his job the way they would like to see him do it. Maybe someday TT will share all of the details surrounding decisions like this with the public, but I am guessing there is more to it then just TT not wanting to make a phone call.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT probably has a very good reason for not contacting certain players, but I doubt we ever get to hear the reason.

Him being at a pro day has no bearing on if he can be involved with free agency.

You can count 5 times during TTs tenure we have lost in the playoffs on the last play, to suggest he should be "demoted" is ignorant. Its unfortunate some of the fan base wont appreciate him and want someone else.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to be realistic here. When was the last time TT has signed a real UFA? I am not talking about players who were cut like Peppers or Guion. TT is not going to give up a precious 5th round comp pick by signing a true free agent. Look for players who have been cut because I truly believe these are the only players TT even considers. I am still waiting to be shocked.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We need to be realistic here. When was the last time TT has signed a real UFA? I am not talking about players who were cut like Peppers or Guion. TT is not going to give up a precious 5th round comp pick by signing a true free agent. Look for players who have been cut because I truly believe these are the only players TT even considers. I am still waiting to be shocked.
Nick Perry.. Day ago

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Once again, there are folks who are assigning motives and assuming motives regarding TT that no one has actually proven by a TT quote to be true. We keep hearing "he didn't kick the tires." How do we know? Maybe he did and didn't decide to make a verbal offer. Unless I see direct quotes from TT that he isn't even considering free agency, then I can't honestly say he totally ignores it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Still waiting on how we sign any other free agents, our own players that need extention this year with less than 19.5

Perrys deal isn't even in that 19.5

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, there are folks who are assigning motives and assuming motives regarding TT that no one has actually proven by a TT quote to be true. We keep hearing "he didn't kick the tires." How do we know? Maybe he did and didn't decide to make a verbal offer. Unless I see direct quotes from TT that he isn't even considering free agency, then I can't honestly say he totally ignores it.

While I agree in theory with your post, there is something called empirical evidence, all of which points to Ted not even thinking about FA unless it is in regards to overpaying his own guys. Outside of Rodgers, every big contract to his guys have not been worth the money, Brad Jones? No. AJ Hawk? No. Sam Shields? No. BJ? No. Book is still out on few.

The only guys it seems Ted is willing to take a chance on is his own and at least imo, the bigger contracts for those guys have not been worth the money, yet he flat out refuses to go after FA's unless they have been cut or no name nobodies that don't improve the team.

He has done great things for the packers, and i for one greatly appreciate, but it is time to quit ******** around and find ways to fix the glaring needs of this team and they are not going to be filled picking 27th in the draft.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
While I agree in theory with your post, there is something called empirical evidence, all of which points to Ted not even thinking about FA unless it is in regards to overpaying his own guys. Outside of Rodgers, every big contract to his guys have not been worth the money, Brad Jones? No. AJ Hawk? No. Sam Shields? No. BJ? No. Book is still out on few.

The only guys it seems Ted is willing to take a chance on is his own and at least imo, the bigger contracts for those guys have not been worth the money, yet he flat out refuses to go after FA's unless they have been cut or no name nobodies that don't improve the team.

He has done great things for the packers, and i for one greatly appreciate, but it is time to quit ******** around and find ways to fix the glaring needs of this team and they are not going to be filled picking 27th in the draft.

I understand that you see it so, but to me it looks more like "circumstantial" evidence, than empirical.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that you see it so, but to me it looks more like "circumstantial" evidence, than empirical.
Perhaps I am using the wrong term but I always thought the term empirical basically means gathering evidence by observation, I am not trying to imply it is a known fact.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just think people are over connecting the dots in the Trevathan situation to try and use it to say TT isn't doing his job...he isn't doing his job the way they would like to see him do it.

Thompson's job is to upgrade positions of need using all methods available to do it. He hasn't been able to adequately address inside linebacker for four years running and tight end since Finley got injured and deserves being criticized for it.

Once again, not even contacting the best players available in free agency at those positions is inexcusable.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trevathon said the Packers never called him. Unless he's a liar that means TT never contacted him. But you know if you are satisfied with wasting Rodgers career then ignoring big upgrades is what you do year after year

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson's job is to upgrade positions of need using all methods available to do it. He hasn't been able to adequately address inside linebacker for four years running and tight end since Finley got injured and deserves being criticized for it.

Once again, not even contacting the best players available in free agency at those positions is inexcusable.
That is where you and you ilk go askew.

TT's job is to put the Packers in the best chance to win a SB. Period.

What he is constrained by is a cap limit, talent pool available limit, and future seasons. Signing a player because he represents a fan perceived upgrade ignores many other issues.

Anyone who says TT didnt consider every FA is just plain foolish or ignorant.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Trevathon said the Packers never called him. Unless he's a liar that means TT never contacted him. But you know if you are satisfied with wasting Rodgers career then ignoring big upgrades is what you do year after year

Sure, Trevathan said that. Agreed. But does Trevathan *know* that TT didn't consider him before deciding not to contact him? There's the rub. Maybe there is a legitimate reason TT did not contact him of which we know nothing. Now if someone posts a quote from TT saying, "I never look at free agents on the first day of free agency", then I'll accept that he should reconsider. But we really don't know that he didn't consider these guys, do we?

D

Deleted member 6794

TT's job is to put the Packers in the best chance to win a SB. Period.

I'm quite sure adequately addressing obvious positions of need would immediately improve those chances.

Anyone who says TT didnt consider every FA is just plain foolish or ignorant.

Trevathan is on record as saying he wished the Packers would have contacted him but never did. In addition there hasn't been a single report about a free agent visiting with the Packers this offseason.

Anyone thinking Thompson is using all methods available to upgrade the team is just plain foolish or ignorant.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sure, Trevathan said that. Agreed. But does Trevathan *know* that TT didn't consider him before deciding not to contact him? There's the rub. Maybe there is a legitimate reason TT did not contact him of which we know nothing. Now if someone posts a quote from TT saying, "I never look at free agents on the first day of free agency", then I'll accept that he should reconsider. But we really don't know that he didn't consider these guys, do we?

Actually the only thing I care about is Thompson upgrading positions of need. He hasn't done that with ILB for four years and at TE for close to three years. There's no other person to blame for it than him.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't we have scouts that can go to these pro days? They can video tape players so our GM can see them later so our GM can concentrate on his duties to go through the free agents who may be able to upgrade his team in any way possible. At least that is the duty of the other GMs in the league. If he wants to be a full time scout make him that and promote Elliot Wolf!!!!!!