When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't we have scouts that can go to these pro days? They can video tape players so our GM can see them later so our GM can concentrate on his duties to go through the free agents who may be able to upgrade his team in any way possible. At least that is the duty of the other GMs in the league. If he wants to be a full time scout make him that and promote Elliot Wolf!!!!!!
Plenty of tape on free agents that he, his scouts and coaches watched. So couldn't a text be made?

But to see a future draft pick up close, seems to be more important.

Let me remind everyone how lavar

Arrington was in the building getting an offer, when people on this very board were screaming the same way they are now. Because people truly belive they know it all

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Mike Daniels contract. Other than that, I think TT is putting on a clinic in inefficient spending this off-season.

Nick Perry is now our 12th highest paid player. He could have been replaced by Elliot with little impact. Mason Crosby is our 13th highest paid player. He could have been replaced by a late round draft pick, easily. For no player moreso than Mason Crosby do fans fall try desperately to ignore statistics. No one is making it up, and the stats don't lie. Crosby isn't a good kicker. Crosby isn't even an average kicker. Many kickers in the NFL will outperform Crosby this year for a 10th of the cost. Just like they did last year.

Lane Taylor is our 18th highest paid player. It's mind blowing. I didn't even realize he was a roster lock, and now he's making over $2M a season.

I can't recall an off-season where I've seen such fiscal irresponsibility out of TT, and that's with not signing a single external FA.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Mike Daniels contract. Other than that, I think TT is putting on a clinic in inefficient spending this off-season.

Nick Perry is now our 12th highest paid player. He could have been replaced by Elliot with little impact. Mason Crosby is our 13th highest paid player. He could have been replaced by a late round draft pick, easily. For no player moreso than Mason Crosby do fans fall try desperately to ignore statistics. No one is making it up, and the stats don't lie. Crosby isn't a good kicker. Crosby isn't even an average kicker. Many kickers in the NFL will outperform Crosby this year for a 10th of the cost. Just like they did last year.

Lane Taylor is our 18th highest paid player. It's mind blowing. I didn't even realize he was a roster lock, and now he's making over $2M a season.

I can't recall an off-season where I've seen such fiscal irresponsibility out of TT, and that's with not signing a single external FA.

Holy cow, Crosby is our 13th highest paid player? Lolol.
I agree about perry too, about 2 million too much imo, even for a 1 year contract, especially since it also has escalators.
Also agree about Taylor, I didn't even think he earned to be resigned imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

Aside of the Daniels deal, which I absolutely like as well, those other deals are even more mind-boggling if you consider the 2015 snap count of the players in question.

Letroy Guion played 39.1% of the defensive snaps after his return in week 4, Nick Perry a total of 33.4% all season long and Lane Taylor 13.3%.

We've already proved with a ton of facts that Crosby is a mediocre kicker at best.

Yet Thompson overpaid to re-sign all of them but didn't even care to contact the best inside linebacker on the market, a guy who could have been on the field for close to all of the defensive snaps.

Inexcusable.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of the Daniels deal, which I absolutely like as well, those other deals are even more mind-boggling if you consider the 2015 snap count of the players in question.

Letroy Guion played 39.1% of the defensive snaps after his return in week 4, Nick Perry a total of 33.4% all season long and Lane Taylor 13.3%.

We've already proved with a ton of facts that Crosby is a mediocre kicker at best.

Yet Thompson overpaid to re-sign all of them but didn't even care to contact the best inside linebacker on the market, a guy who could have been on the field for close to all of the defensive snaps.

Inexcusable.

When I brought this all up, I was definitely upset about, still am, but you have taken the ball and run with. I don't think I have ever seen you so critical of TT.

D

Deleted member 6794

When I brought this all up, I was definitely upset about, still am, but you have taken the ball and run with. I don't think I have ever seen you so critical of TT.

I've been critical of Thompson in the past but think that overall he has done a goob job over his tenure as the Packers GM. This offseason he has overpaid to re-sign several of team's free agent while once again not using free agency to address obvious positions of need. IMO the criticism is more than deserved.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been critical of Thompson in the past but think that overall he has done a goob job over his tenure as the Packers GM. This offseason he has overpaid to re-sign several of team's free agent while once again not using free agency to address obvious positions of need. IMO the criticism is more than deserved.

Agreed, NOt really understanding what his gameplan is/was this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would really love to bring some of the fans believing Thompson can't do wrong to truly evaluate his moves this offseason.

Just imagine for a second that the Packers would have drafted Trevathan and Ladarius Green in 2012 and would have let them walk away in free agency for the contracts those guys signed this offseason.

On the other hand in this parallel universe, Thompson would have added Guion, Crosby, Taylor and Perry in free agency at the same price.

Would you guys still like his offseason moves??? I don't think so.

Bottom line, Thompson's job is to improve the roster using all methods available and it doesn't matter if he achieves that goal by re-signing players, bringing in a free agents or using trades to acquire help. In addition he has to make sure to not overpay for any players.

There's absolutely no denying that the Packers haven't become any better this offseason, using valuable cap space to re-sign mostly backups.

The draft is the best way to build a stromg nucleus but only relying on it isn't the way to go, especially as all other teams use it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would really love to bring some of the fans believing Thompson can't do wrong to truly evaluate his moves this offseason.

Just imagine for a second that the Packers would have drafted Trevathan and Ladarius Green in 2012 and would have let them walk away in free agency for the contracts those guys signed this offseason.

On the other hand in this parallel universe, Thompson would have added Guion, Crosby, Taylor and Perry in free agency at the same price.

Would you guys still like his offseason moves??? I don't think so.

Bottom line, Thompson's job is to improve the roster using all methods available and it doesn't matter if he achieves that goal by re-signing players, bringing in a free agents or using trades to acquire help. In addition he has to make sure to not overpay for any players.

There's absolutely no denying that the Packers haven't become any better this offseason, using valuable cap space to re-sign mostly backups.

The draft is the best way to build a stromg nucleus but only relying on it isn't the way to go, especially as all other teams use it as well.

I usually don't jump on these discussions, but really enjoy reading them... I agree, I've been salivating at Trevathan and Green as solving world-hunger and allow the draft to be more focused on BPA. Yes, what they went for was a steal relatively to who we re-signed. However, there may be another side to the coin that may be hard to understand why TT/MM avoids the free agency for the high-end performers on the market and it's avoiding poisoning the well with the wrong veteran leadership...

Everyone remembers and loves Woodson when he came to the Packers early in TT/MM's dynasty. Everyone knew Woodson was a game changer as football player, but he also brought a lot of baggage. There was a massive struggle between MM and Woodson for a new coaching staff trying to re-build a team quickly. As most people know, it was massive struggle until Woodson bought into the plan, and once it happened the defense and the team went to another level.

If you look at the players that TT/MM bring to this team, the fit has to be perfect. It is either folks that are low-end bargain that have to fight for their role/respect on the team, or high-end players with the perfect attitude (e.g., Peppers, who I think has the perfect leadership/attitude). What we don't know is what other criteria that TT/MM look at that makes this more than a two-sided coin...that is my point.

I agree if TT/MM would just accept a little bit more risk, and get the right UFA's (proactive), then it could make the difference of winning the big one versus going to the playoffs almost every year by their traditional methods (which is not bad...GB vs. Browns). The downside is losing control of TT/MM's culture with the wrong senior veteran leadership. My two cents...

D

Deleted member 6794

I usually don't jump on these discussions, but really enjoy reading them... I agree, I've been salivating at Trevathan and Green as solving world-hunger and allow the draft to be more focused on BPA. Yes, what they went for was a steal relatively to who we re-signed. However, there may be another side to the coin that may be hard to understand why TT/MM avoids the free agency for the high-end performers on the market and it's avoiding poisoning the well with the wrong veteran leadership.

I haven't heard anything negative about either Trevathan or Green to support that argument though. In addition it seems it is mostly Thompson not wanting to use free agency with McCarthy getting more and more tired of the GM's approach.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the good thing about this being a publicly owned team. I'm sure if many of us write in about having Ted removed. It might actually get enough pressure to get him gone.

The man has lost it. He didn't even inquire about players that were an obvious upgrade and over paid for some of our mediocre players. Many of who probably would've not even been picked up or even been starters in other teams.

For being such a "good" GM we sure as hell don't really have much cap space and really besides Rodgers, Nelson, Mathews, Peppers is there really any other big names on this team?
And I think Peppers and Mathews are replaceable.

Next year and the next. The Cap space looks even worse too.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the same TT MO every season and the same response from the TT can do no right crowd. And yet every season the Packers are one of the superbowl favorites. Explain how they never get better and yet are one of the most successful teams in the NFL over the last few seasons.

"Absolutely no denying the Packers haven't become any better . . ."

So you are under the impression that Haha, Barrington, Rollins, Ryan, and others have already maxed out on their development?

That is a ridiculous notion.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well the good thing about this being a publicly owned team. I'm sure if many of us write in about having Ted removed. It might actually get enough pressure to get him gone.
Good luck with that. Dougherty wrote a column titled “Packers president Mark Murphy favors Ted Thompson's consistent approach” a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe you’ll have better luck writing the members of the executive committee?
And I think Peppers and Mathews are replaceable.
Every player who has ever played has been replaced and it’s likely this is Peppers’ last year in Green Bay. But if by “replaceable” you mean with equal talent, you may not want to mention that in your letters – they may think you’re delusional.

Last edited:

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping we could sign TE Ladarius Green and/or ILB Jerrell Freeman. Anyone find it
unusual that neither of their teams made a big push to retain them? The Chargers decided
that 35-year old Antonio Gates was a better option and although I believe the Colts offered
Freeman a contract, they didn't make a strong attempt to resign him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I was hoping we could sign TE Ladarius Green and/or ILB Jerrell Freeman. Anyone find it
unusual that neither of their teams made a big push to retain them? The Chargers decided
that 35-year old Antonio Gates was a better option and although I believe the Colts offered
Freeman a contract, they didn't make a strong attempt to resign him.

Personally, I was hoping the same thing and included Trevathan and Forte in that list. However, since the only knowledge I have is that The Packers didn't sign any of them, and reportedly didn't talk to Trevathan, I have to conclude that The Packers/TT have a whole lot more information and a different plan then mine. The brilliance or stupidity of not signing one or any of them should be a fun topic to discuss, at the end of the upcoming season.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Lane Taylor signing is geared towards next year and the impending free agency of Sitton & Lang. Taylor is going to have this year to learn before stepping in for one of them next year.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Lane Taylor signing is geared towards next year and the impending free agency of Sitton & Lang. Taylor is going to have this year to learn before stepping in for one of them next year.

Wimm didn't agree with me, but I still believe TT is trying to get way with doing as little as possible to have as much possible money to roll over for next season when we have to keep Sitton, Lang, and Bahktiari. That's why we brought back Kowalski and Taylor. TT knows there's a possibility tha he might not be able to keep both especially in a Guard starved league.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jarred Cook would be a good pick up. He was cut, it addresses a position of need and it probably wouldn't cost much to sign him.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wimm didn't agree with me, but I still believe TT is trying to get way with doing as little as possible to have as much possible money to roll over for next season when we have to keep Sitton, Lang, and Bahktiari. That's why we brought back Kowalski and Taylor. TT knows there's a possibility tha he might not be able to keep both especially in a Guard starved league.

It's possible. I'll be interested to see if the Packers draft a guard or tackle in the top-4 rounds. Drafting a lineman this year gives the player two full offseasons before being needed to step in.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's the same TT MO every season and the same response from the TT can do no right crowd.

The huge difference between you and me being that I'm crediting Thompson with doing a fine job overall but you not even being able to question his approach for a second.

And yet every season the Packers are one of the superbowl favorites. Explain how they never get better and yet are one of the most successful teams in the NFL over the last few seasons.

Two words, AARON RODGERS!!! As I've mentioned repeatedly Thompson does deserve huge credit for drafting and sticking with him in 2008, that doesn't change that the talent level aside of the QB position hasn't been close to elite for most of TT's tenure though.

So you are under the impression that Haha, Barrington, Rollins, Ryan, and others have already maxed out on their development?

That is a ridiculous notion.

It's ridiculous to only rely on players improving from their rookie to second season and so on to improve the overall talent level of the team. In addition to it not happening with every single player you ignore guys regressing because of age.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem I have is that TT seems so adamant at not signing or even looking at guys on the first day.
The first 48 hours is when the dingbats play. I laugh every year when I see the ridiculous contracts that the "let em go's" are getting and it's usually from the perennial bottom third of the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

The first 48 hours is when the dingbats play. I laugh every year when I see the ridiculous contracts that the "let em go's" are getting and it's usually from the perennial bottom third of the league.

Just try to be honest for once, do you really think that Trevathan and Green signed for ridiculous money???

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Pikebadger, which part do you Disagree with? Why?
The absolute assumption that we are going to be terrible at ILB next year because Trevathan wasn't signed.
All of our current guys are very young and developing outside of Matthews. We also have 9 draft picks and I feel that one of them will likely be used on an ILB.
I feel that a lot of the posters here almost always assume that the player we saw at the end of last season is the same guy we will see in the second half of next season. These guys aren't static in their development. I fully expect that Thomas, Ryan and Barrington will be better players than we've seen so far.

Members online