Tretter has significant knee injury

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Take away all the ligaments as mentioned in the report and anything requiring surgery (meniscus) and you probably have a dislocated patella.

I hate to speculate but that kinda makes sense. Sam Baker for the Falcons has that and didn't even think he was that hurt after he injured it.

H

HardRightEdge

1. There are still two weeks until the first game. So if the six week projection is right, he should be back for game 5.

2. The Packers rarely dress a back-up center. They usually keep only 7 o-line players on the game day roster.

3. I didn't say that Gerhardt will be on the 53. I don't expect anyone to claim him. Therefore we might keep him on the practice squad and sign him to the 53 if he is needed.

It seems to me in past years we had a G/C backup on game day...somebody with some experience snapping the ball...not named Lang. If Lang gets some C snaps in this last preseason game that would tell us something about the plan.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quote from JS:

The agent for Tretter, Alan Herman, indicated Sunday that this is "nothing surgical" and there is no ligament damage.

Herman has not heard exactly how long the recovery will take, saying it "could be three, four, five, six (weeks)." It depends how the Packers doctors treat the injury. But he repeated, it's "nothing significant."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/272498351.html
I guess "nothing significant" means he isn't in danger of dying. But something significant happened to a knee that will keep him out for 3, 4, 5, 6 weeks.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That McCarthy doesn't appear concerned going with Linsley means he's still in possession of his mental faculties. The minute he’s sweating, biting his nails and muttering ‘We’re hoping for the best, (so-and-so) is probably up to it’, we’ll know it’s time for him to go.

This is IMO obviously worse than losing Raji – realcaliforniacheese hit it – the OL more than any other unit has to be in sync and this screws up their mojo. At least Linsley has 11 days to get ready… And at least Tretter should be able to return.

Anyone know if it's the same leg he suffered a broken fibula and tore ligaments in his ankle last year?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That McCarthy doesn't appear concerned going with Linsley means he's still in possession of his mental faculties. The minute he’s sweating, biting his nails and muttering ‘We’re hoping for the best, (so-and-so) is probably up to it’, we’ll know it’s time for him to go.

This is IMO obviously worse than losing Raji – realcaliforniacheese hit it – the OL more than any other unit has to be in sync and this screws up their mojo. At least Linsley has 11 days to get ready… And at least Tretter should be able to return.

Anyone know if it's the same leg he suffered a broken fibula and tore ligaments in his ankle last year?

I don't know. His agent is calling it "some type of bone bruise"

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually Linsley might be a better option against Seattle. Honestly, has Tretter ever played meaningful snaps in front of a big time stadium, much less hostile road venue? Linsley has played Center at some of the most intimidating venues at any level of football. Places like the Big House, Kinnick, Beaver Stadium and the Camp beat most NFL stadiums in terms of noise level and fan energy. I doubt Tretter experienced anything like that while playing the Ivy's.

EDIT: Should have read more of the thread, credit to Brandon. He pretty much made the same post before me.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Actually Linsley might be a better option against Seattle. Honestly, has Tretter ever played meaningful snaps in front of a big time stadium, much less hostile road venue? Linsley has played Center at some of the most intimidating venues at any level of football. Places like the Big House, Kinnick, Beaver Stadium and the Camp beat most NFL stadiums in terms of noise level and fan energy. I doubt Tretter experienced anything like that while playing the Ivy's.

I mentioned this earlier.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Actually Linsley might be a better option against Seattle. Honestly, has Tretter ever played meaningful snaps in front of a big time stadium, much less hostile road venue?
IMO this factor is far less important than knowing the offense extremely well: Tretter has taken every snap with the first team in OTAs, minicamp, and in the preseason games. Linsley's first snap to Rodgers in a game will likely be in Seattle. In the evolution of the run game thread Flynn said in addition to pass protection calls the line calls in the run game are more complex than they were just a couple of years ago. And of course Linsley hasn't worked next to Lang and Sitton until after the Raiders game. Knowing the offense like the back of one's hand and being in sync with the OGs is much more important IMO. This quote is from the espn article linked above: "The urgency level is just through the roof," Linsley said. "I've been working hard, but it's a different animal out there with the ones. I've got to fill in at the highest level. There's no room for nonsense anymore and ridiculous mistakes. [Missed assignments] are out of the question anymore, and the urgency level is hyped and I'm prepared for it."

I'm certainly not saying all is lost but IMO it doesn't make sense to paint Tretter's injury as a positive either. I'd much prefer to have the guy who has been preparing with the ones from the first OTA, even if it took him a play or two overcome his "awe" of playing in Seattle.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley may well turn out to be the better of the 2. Who knows? Neither has played a down in a real NFL game. There's no reason Rogers can't make the center's blocking calls, from what I've read Brady does that in N.E. So all is not lost, at least on paper. The most disturbing thing remains the incredible number of injuries again, and again--and the season hasn't started.

Reaction score
I'm actually comfortable with Linsley a few weeks ago he was fighting for the starting job, he was praised by Sitton as "very strong and athletic". He was drafted ahead of many other positional needs for a reason and C is his natural position. He's been up against Datone, Pennel, Boyd, Raji in practice. He has a very good record and it's an opportunity of a lifetime. He might win a starting role especially if we start strong. In the NFl as with life, when one door shuts another opens. We especially found this to be true with RB and LB injuries when a Walden and Starks were asked to step up front. This might sound off, but the timing is right as we havnt made cuts, we have a preseason game for live practice etc.. When Tretter gets healthy we have not 1 but 2 competent Centers. Call me optimistic. But I haven't seen anything alarming injury wise that will thwart our chances of success, of course, after last year us Packer fans have thick skin when it comes to the injury front

Reaction score
Linsley may well turn out to be the better of the 2. Who knows? Neither has played a down in a real NFL game. There's no reason Rogers can't make the center's blocking calls, from what I've read Brady does that in N.E. So all is not lost, at least on paper. The most disturbing thing remains the incredible number of injuries again, and again--and the season hasn't started.
That's exactly my thought. Linsley is prime for this move.. A bit inexperienced albeit but at some juncture every great player had this exact opportunity presented. Go Corey Go

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well it seems I'm in the minority on this one. I'm very concerned with Tretter's injury news. More so than Raji's injury. The fact that Barclay isn't around makes us all the more vulnerable.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well it seems I'm in the minority on this one. I'm very concerned with Tretter's injury news. More so than Raji's injury. The fact that Barclay isn't around makes us all the more vulnerable.

Yeah but it's a 'bruised bone". He is coming back. 3-6 weeks.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"bruised bone" can mean a lot of things. A small one, or microfracture, can be fine in a few weeks. A large one, called a subchrondral fracture, can be very troublesome for months, and even lead to significant arthritis in the long run. As usual, nobody knows what the extent of the injury is outside of 1265 Lombardi Ave.

Reaction score
No you're not alone being concerned, were all concerned with the loss of a starter or at least maybe we should12 be.
I just think it is what it is, although that sounds rhetorical, our staff are experts at personnel changes and our ability to compensate for injury has historically been above grade(barring cutting 2 QBs last year at the last second!) I keep thinking back to 2010 and what we accomplished with HEAVY injuries. It made that victory soooo much sweeter. It's a different mindset.. And it's hard to remain positive sometimes.. But it beats the alternative and in this league there's no room for looking backwards.. And if you do, you just got passed by another team. We are well equipped to make a SB run and this is a minor obstacle in the big picture. Just ask the Rams fans today how minor it is.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
No you're not alone being concerned, were all concerned with the loss of a starter or at least maybe we should12 be.
I just think it is what it is, although that sounds rhetorical, our staff are experts at personnel changes and our ability to compensate for injury has historically been above grade(barring cutting 2 QBs last year at the last second!) I keep thinking back to 2010 and what we accomplished with HEAVY injuries. It made that victory soooo much sweeter. It's a different mindset.. And it's hard to remain positive sometimes.. But it beats the alternative and in this league there's no room for looking backwards.. And if you do, you just got passed by another team. We are well equipped to make a SB run and this is a minor obstacle in the big picture. Just ask the Rams fans today how minor it is.

Yeah or go ask the Falcons. They have been decimated. Every team has lost guys already to injury.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
"bruised bone" can mean a lot of things. A small one, or microfracture, can be fine in a few weeks. A large one, called a subchrondral fracture, can be very troublesome for months, and even lead to significant arthritis in the long run. As usual, nobody knows what the extent of the injury is outside of 1265 Lombardi Ave.

Right. Nobody really knows but the fact he played substantial snaps after the injury might point to a smaller one. I don't know and I hate speculating over injuries. Maybe by the time Tretter comes back Linsely will be a guy you don't want to sit down.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well knock on wood but at least we haven't lost half our starting defense to hammy pulls.

Reaction score
Well knock on wood but at least we haven't lost half our starting defense to hammy .
Yeah right! Question?: would it be Offensive to call the 2nd string Safety to the 1st defense as... Secondary to the secondary? (Billy Crystal ain't got nothing on me!)

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this factor is far less important than knowing the offense extremely well: Tretter has taken every snap with the first team in OTAs, minicamp, and in the preseason games. Linsley's first snap to Rodgers in a game will likely be in Seattle. In the evolution of the run game thread Flynn said in addition to pass protection calls the line calls in the run game are more complex than they were just a couple of years ago. And of course Linsley hasn't worked next to Lang and Sitton until after the Raiders game. Knowing the offense like the back of one's hand and being in sync with the OGs is much more important IMO. This quote is from the espn article linked above: "The urgency level is just through the roof," Linsley said. "I've been working hard, but it's a different animal out there with the ones. I've got to fill in at the highest level. There's no room for nonsense anymore and ridiculous mistakes. [Missed assignments] are out of the question anymore, and the urgency level is hyped and I'm prepared for it."

I'm certainly not saying all is lost but IMO it doesn't make sense to paint Tretter's injury as a positive either. I'd much prefer to have the guy who has been preparing with the ones from the first OTA, even if it took him a play or two overcome his "awe" of playing in Seattle.

Not to doubt but do you have a source for the snaps taken? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have gotten Linsley some snaps with the first string Offense prior to Tretter's injury. If JC has taken all of the snaps then my only response is.... :confused:

Reaction score
Not to doubt but do you have a source for the snaps taken? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have gotten Linsley some snaps with the first string Offense prior to Tretter's injury. If JC has taken all of the snaps then my only response is.... :confused:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's from the Demovsky story:
It's a blow for the Packers, who spent the entire offseason preparing Tretter to start the season-opener at Seattle on Sept. 4. Tretter, a second-year pro, took every rep with the starters during OTAs, minicamp and in the first three preseason games. Their confidence in his ability to take over the position was part of the reason they allowed Evan Dietrich-Smith to leave in free agency and sign with Tampa Bay.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11403107/jc-tretter-green-bay-packers-multiple-weeks-knee-injury

I think in a "normal" year, the second team OC would have taken snaps with Rodgers, but they were going out of their way to get Tretter as many snaps as possible. Also, that's why he stayed on the field after the rest of the first team OL went to the bench in preseason games.

Again, I don't think this means the Packers will lose at Seattle, but losing the two players who man the middle of each line (although Raji did so part-time) isn't good. And "poor" Aaron Rodgers - Linsley will be the 27th 5th OC he's worked with over the past four seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts