Tretter has significant knee injury

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

According to McCarthy the center will miss multiple weeks.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't imagine Linsley is going to be able to make all those line calls vs that ferocious defense correctly. Doesn't Lang play center at times when guys are injured?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I can't imagine Linsley is going to be able to make all those line calls vs that ferocious defense correctly. Doesn't Lang play center at times when guys are injured?

Lang played some center last year when EDS was hurt, as I've said repeatedly though I don't like to move people around and Linsley at least played center in college.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lang played some center last year when EDS was hurt, as I've said repeatedly though I don't like to move people around and Linsley at least played center in college.

Agreed, besides he'll have an All pro guard to his left and a legit pro bowl caliber guard to his right. Lang Sitton are as good of a guard tandem in the league when healthy, should make playing center easier.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to start another thread for another injury so i will just ask here. Who is in for Brad Jones now that he is out for the last preseason game and probably into the regular season. Did anyone pass Lattimore in camp?

H

HardRightEdge

Linsley is the guy. He was drafted specifically for this purpose. Moving Lang only weakens two positions.

If Tretter gets IRed (for return or otherwise), I'd expect Gerhard to get promoted to backup. If Tretter is not IRed, then we go with 7 OL and if Linsley is hurt mid-game, we move Lang to C and cross our fingers.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jason Wilde on twitter: "#NFL source says #Packers C @JCTretter's knee injury does not require surgery. Could sideline him for up to six weeks. He, team hoping less."

So therefore I think they keep Tretter on the 53. IR designated to return would sideline him for 8 weeks. We will miss Tretter. He looked great as run blocker in the preseason games. The silver lining is that depth a the center position is probably the best depth among the O-line. Linsley looked decent in the preseason games. He will be our center for those games. Moreover Gerhart is our best player on the 3rd o-line. McCarthy praised him several times. We will probably keep him around one way or another. The probably use Taylor as game day back-up (Lang C, Taylor G) and keep Gerhart on the practice squad (or maybe even 53) as back up.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all the people who claimed during the offseason that the Packets injury epidemic was just bad luck. Well they have no clue. The Packers injury epidemic is getting worse and they are clueless on how to get anywhere near to the league average. The injury epidemic looks like it will derail another season. In under one month the Packers have 6 very serious injuries with 4 guys already on season ending IR. Packers look like a team that will have 20 people on IR before the season is done. The Packers haven't even played a full ge with starters. Don't be surprised if 4-5 guys go down in Seattle.

H

HardRightEdge

Jason Wilde on twitter: "#NFL source says #Packers C @JCTretter's knee injury does not require surgery. Could sideline him for up to six weeks. He, team hoping less."

So therefore I think they keep Tretter on the 53. IR designated to return would sideline him for 8 weeks. We will miss Tretter. He looked great as run blocker in the preseason games. The silver lining is that depth a the center position is probably the best depth among the O-line. Linsley looked decent in the preseason games. He will be our center for those games. Moreover Gerhart is our best player on the 3rd o-line. McCarthy praised him several times. We will probably keep him around one way or another. The probably use Taylor as game day back-up (Lang C, Taylor G) and keep Gerhart on the practice squad (or maybe even 53) as back up.
It's a tough call based on a 6 week projection. Is two games of Tretter availability worth the risk of (1) finding ourselves with Lang at C and Taylor at G in the middle of game or (2) using a 9th. OL roster spot for Gerhardt?

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a tough call based on a 6 week projection. Is two games of Tretter availability worth the risk of (1) finding ourselves with Lang at C and Taylor at G in the middle of game or (2) using a 9th. OL roster spot for Gerhardt?

1. There are still two weeks until the first game. So if the six week projection is right, he should be back for game 5.

2. The Packers rarely dress a back-up center. They usually keep only 7 o-line players on the game day roster.

3. I didn't say that Gerhardt will be on the 53. I don't expect anyone to claim him. Therefore we might keep him on the practice squad and sign him to the 53 if he is needed.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh. This really sucks. He was playing really well. Here's to hoping that the "next man up" thing works out with Linsley. Let's hope that it's only a few weeks and we can get our #1 oline back as soon as possible. They were looking like a real strength.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quote from JS:

The agent for Tretter, Alan Herman, indicated Sunday that this is "nothing surgical" and there is no ligament damage.

Herman has not heard exactly how long the recovery will take, saying it "could be three, four, five, six (weeks)." It depends how the Packers doctors treat the injury. But he repeated, it's "nothing significant."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/272498351.html

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Tough injury but like others have posted this was why TT drafted a true center as a precaution. I think Lindsey is capable and played center at the "Shoe" at OSU in front of 100k plus screaming fans and in the "Big House". I just hope we don't have to change our offense too much. Tretter has never played in a hostile environment so well see.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
For all the people who claimed during the off season that the Packets injury epidemic was just bad luck. Well they have no clue. The Packers injury epidemic is getting worse and they are clueless on how to get anywhere near to the league average. The injury epidemic looks like it will derail another season. In under one month the Packers have 6 very serious injuries with 4 guys already on season ending IR. Packers look like a team that will have 20 people on IR before the season is done. The Packers haven't even played a full ge with starters. Don't be surprised if 4-5 guys go down in Seattle.
So I'm curios, what are these "League Averages" you are referring to? These guys are playing with abnormally dense bodies. They are nothing but muscle. You can build strength in muscle but you can't do much about strengthening connective tissues. You have overly developed bodies making moves and having their bodies contorted in ways that are not natural. You are going to have these types of issues in today's NFL. It has become as much a game of attrition as a game of skill. My understanding is that they were trying some innovative stuff this year. It is what it is and always will be, bad luck (and PED's).

Reactions: TJV

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all the people who claimed during the offseason that the Packets injury epidemic was just bad luck. Well they have no clue. The Packers injury epidemic is getting worse and they are clueless on how to get anywhere near to the league average. The injury epidemic looks like it will derail another season. In under one month the Packers have 6 very serious injuries with 4 guys already on season ending IR. Packers look like a team that will have 20 people on IR before the season is done. The Packers haven't even played a full ge with starters. Don't be surprised if 4-5 guys go down in Seattle.

First, they still won the division last year so I wouldn't consider last year derailed. Secondly, losing two average starters and some back ups is not going to significantly affect the team.

As long as our studs stay healthy, we'll be fine.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Tough injury but like others have posted this was why TT drafted a true center as a precaution. I think Lindsey is capable and played center at the "Shoe" at OSU in front of 100k plus screaming fans and in the "Big House". I just hope we don't have to change our offense too much. Tretter has never played in a hostile environment so well see.
The issue is not his poise, it's the speed of the game and his knowledge and skill at reading the defense and making the Line calls. I am hoping he is another Bakhtiari but this kid has a ton of stuff to learn and you know the Hawks D coordinator is going to attack this kid early and often. But it is what it is, I'm a little deflated right now.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I'm curios, what are these "League Averages" you are referring to? These guys are playing with abnormally dense bodies. They are nothing but muscle. You can build strength in muscle but you can't do much about strengthening connective tissues. You have overly developed bodies making moves and having their bodies contorted in ways that are not natural. You are going to have these types of issues in today's NFL. It has become as much a game of attrition as a game of skill. My understanding is that they were trying some innovative stuff this year. It is what it is and always will be, bad luck (and PED's).

I'm in agreement.

From my persecutive, the mostly preventable soft tissue injuries like first time hamstring strains have declined. Unfortunately, the ligaments tears, which are not as preventable, have increased. These guys are way too big and fast for their ligaments to handle so some guys are going to tear something every year.

Raji, for example, is a veteran and highly doubt the strength and conditioning of his biceps is different this year compared to his others season. That's bad luck right there.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Lang has played C, but Sitton has also made OL calls in the past from the OG position. They might do that with Linsley.

Also remember, Barclay is injured, so who fills in for Lang at OG if you move Lang to C? I don't want to see Sherrod there. I guess we could move Lang to C, move Bakhtiari to OG, and put in Sherrod at OT, but that sounds horrible. Inserting Linsley at C, which is a position that can be helped pretty easily with combo blocks, seems to make the most sense. My guess is that the Packers were already planning on protecting Tretter anyways.

Well its's kind of weird that Tretter supposedly got hurt on first drive and then played 40 plus snaps afterwards.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not as weird as you would think. It sounds like it's more of an injury of pain than anything, and adrenaline can take care of that. Some guys even play with ACL injuries and then later find out they have the injury after the game or sometimes even the next day. Adrenaline can do crazy things.

Oh I know this all to well as I played free safety in college and had a sprained AC joint in my shoulder that would hurt all week but come game time the pain would magically go away for a few hours.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
McCarthy doesn't appear to concerned about rolling with Linsley.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take away all the ligaments as mentioned in the report and anything requiring surgery (meniscus) and you probably have a dislocated patella.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts