Tramon Williams is coming back to Green Bay

D

Deleted member 6794

I definitely like the move. Williams played at an extremely high level last season and provides much needed leadership to the young guys at the position. If Gutekunst is able to add another talented veteran cornerback to the roster before the draft I would consider this a successful offseason.

While this won't completely fix the secondary, I think it's a start in the right direction. I wouldn't even mind bringing House back, get some veteran leadership, experience and depth so that King and the guys we draft don't have the weight of the world on them.

I'm in favor of adding another veteran presence at cornerback but House definitely shouldn't be on the Packers radar.

Well, maybe means after this, packers will go after ridley with first pick or a offensive lineman. no stud cornerbacks(that could make impact right away) at 14 pick unless ward falls to us.

The Packers aren't set at cornerback by any means. Selecting one at #14 is still a possibility.

Look at the Williams signing from the CB position only for a minute. Does this make the CB situation at least as good if not better than it was with D. Randall. If you answer yes then we can quit all the hand wringing over the DR Randall trade. We got our CB position back to even (at a minimum), we upgraded our position in two rounds of the draft, and we added a backup QB with some upside potential.

Now we just need to upgrade from even because we all know that even with last year is not where we want to be at all. At least we are no longer in the hole.

The Packers finished 31st in opposing passer rating last season. Only getting the talent level back to even at cornerback compared to last season doesn't cut it heading into 2018.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. 9 corner last year according to PFF. I like it and provides an upgrade over Randall in a stop gap role.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/tramon-williams/3558

PFF had him 96th the year before last and 54th the year before that. Last year could just be an anomaly year or he benefited from playing in a competent defensive backfield. Either way, I’m happy to have him back if nothing else for some mentorship and experience. He should make a good 3rd or 4th cb still, but I wouldn’t want to count on him covering the 1st or 2nd best wr on any given weekend. We need to make a few more cb moves, but at least now we have a player that’s started in this league for a long time successfully.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bidding war for the big-name CB's got a little crazy this year, but this is a nice smaller move that may actually have more value. Williams won't wreck Green Bay's salary cap, he's a good lockeroom guy and a solid vet, and he actually had a pretty nice season last year. This of course doesn't fix everything, but it does make sense. The Packers got better today.

And now I hear WR Jordan Matthews is in for a visit......

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It still is a gamble on a 35yo player. I'd hate to miss SB because we haven't properly fixed the most obvious problem of past 3 years!

Considering our gambles at the position with 22-25 year old players haven't really paid off either, I'm up for going Senior Citizen! :coffee:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume you mean consulted?

Unless he hates TW and they knew he would be heartbroken with the decision.

Well we are still "Burn-ett Down a House" *insert Talking Heads music*...so there is still a net loss from a pretty pathetic 2017 group....so yeah, I am still doing some hand wringing. ;)

That is true but I don't think the Burnett/House decisions were tied in any way to the Williams/Randall decisions so you can look at them independently. We would be looking to replace House and Burnett regardless of who else we had on the roster (Williams or Randall)

You are correct though. I probably should have said are we better or the same as we were the day before we traded Randall. That would take the House/Burnett factors out of the equation since they were FAs and we can assume not in the Packers plans moving ahead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

That is true but I don't think the Burnett/House decisions were tied in any way to the Williams/Randall decisions so you can look at them independently. We would be looking to replace House and Burnett regardless of who else we had on the roster (Williams or Randall)

You are correct though. I probably should have said are we better or the same as we were the day before we traded Randall. That would take the House/Burnett factors out of the equation since they were FAs and we can assume not in the Packers plans moving ahead.

The only thing that matters is that the talent level in the secondary currently isn't any better than during the 2017 season in which the team finished 31st in passer rating allowed. Pettine playing a different scheme might yield better results but I would definitely feel more comfortable about the defensive backs if Gutekunst added another veteran as well as an early pick on a cornerback.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Feels a bit like last years offseason in regards to the secondary, I'm happy with the signing of Tramon, but I still don't think they have come close to solving the secondary issues yet. Lots of time to sign another vet and draft some rookies for development. Hope King stays healthy, hope some of the younger guys are better and hope a better pass rush and scheme helps to improve the secondary.......lots of "hopes"...yup, same as the last few years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When don't you hope? Lock up a guy in his prime like Shields and "hope" he doesn't get hurt, sign young guys and hope they turn out. Sign a vet and hope he still has something to offer. 50 ways to eat your lover and you still might get it wrong, or right depending on the day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When don't you hope? Lock up a guy in his prime like Shields and "hope" he doesn't get hurt, sign young guys and hope they turn out. Sign a vet and hope he still has something to offer. 50 ways to eat your lover and you still might get it wrong, or right depending on the day.

Obviously, there are varying scales of how realistic ones hopes are to coming true. I hope I win the lottery someday, but then again I have never played it, so that hope is pretty faint.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

When don't you hope? Lock up a guy in his prime like Shields and "hope" he doesn't get hurt, sign young guys and hope they turn out. Sign a vet and hope he still has something to offer.

True, but the Packers would rely too much on hope entering the season with the current depth chart at cornerback.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
People were talking about "scooping" all this FA information before it is announced. I for one follow Ian Rapoport's twitter account, he seems to be pretty quick with new information. What is odd, unless I missed it, he has said nothing about Tramon Williams coming to Green Bay. Maybe the story is less important to him than the color of someone's socks at Pro Day, or he is just getting tired of James Jones scooping him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Packers surely are "hoping" that Kevin King and Josh Jones turn out to be better in their second year than Randall and Burnett would have been in 2018.

We all need to remember too, that it will take a while for the defense to come around under Pettine. There was a lot of miscommunication when Capers took over, but a year later everyone settled down and started playing well.

D

Deleted member 6794

We all need to remember too, that it will take a while for the defense to come around under Pettine. There was a lot of miscommunication when Capers took over, but a year later everyone settled down and started playing well.

Actually the Packers defense played pretty well out of the gate after Capers was hired, finishing seventh in points allowed in 2009. It seems he needed two years to get everybody confused.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My "hopes" for King don't center around his talent, I think he is a very talented player. But my "hopes" are more with his shoulder, which has been an issue for him for a long time. If his most recent surgery corrects that, I think we found our #1 CB for the future. But just like Shields, no matter how much talent a guy has, if his injury keeps him off the field, he is a bit of a liability to be lost each season.

D

Deleted member 6794

The chances of us entering the season with the current depth chart is zero. It's not even worth discussing.

I fully expect Gutekunst to improve the cornerback position before the start of the season as well but as I've mentioned repeatedly I understand fans currently being concerned about the lack of talent at the position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I fully expect Gutekunst to improve the cornerback position before the start of the season as well but as I've mentioned repeatedly I understand fans currently being concerned about the lack of talent at the position.

Gute isn't TT, so I am falling back on that fact/hope. But this situation is not unlike the one we saw under TT's watch too many times. A glaring weakness at a position and the Packers attempt to fill it with draft picks and UDFA's fails.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Actually the Packers defense played pretty well out of the gate after Capers was hired, finishing seventh in points allowed in 2009. It seems he needed two years to get everybody confused.

Or for the league to become un-confused about what Capers was doing.

D

Deleted member 6794

But this situation is not unlike the one we saw under TT's watch too many times. A glaring weakness at a position and the Packers attempt to fill it with draft picks and UDFA's fails.

I expect Gutekunst to take a different approach to address glaring weaknesses on the roster. But Packers fans might have to be patient as the team doesn't have enough cap space to improve every position geoup in need of an upgrade this offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I expect Gutekunst to take a different approach to address glaring weaknesses on the roster. But Packers fans might have to be patient as the team doesn't have enough cap space to improve every position geoup in need of an upgrade this offseason.

I agree, at least with some of the big name FA's. As much as I wanted Fuller, I am kind of relieved we didn't get him. That is a big contract and the money you can pay 3 guys. We may have spent our *** with Graham, but there are still a few moves (Bulaga/Cobb/Rodgers restructure) that would free up more cap space if the right guy was available. Plus, at this point I don't see anyone left that is going to command a big $$ amount, unless its a trade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C-Lee

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If his foot turns out okay, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Packers take another look at Breeland.

I’d also bring in DRC.