Tracking the New Orleans Saints (2019 1st rounder)

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers rarely extend players twice. That’s a practice that allows them to pay big money for premium players like Rodgers and still maintain a healthy cap. Bulaga would be a bad exception as he is injury-prone. Besides, if he has another good year I can’t imagine why he’d sign a deal so far below market.

How early they go Tackle depends entirely on whether they bring Bulaga back. If the feel hes worth the price tag you bring him back and draft a guy in the 2-4 range.

If they feel the injuries are too much (honestly I dont see him pricing himself out of GB with the injury history and age) then Tackle becomes a MASSIVE need.

Never really liked the whole "what position should we draft high next yeat" discussions as we have little idea who is declaring and where they'll be projected to go at this point (Arden Keys was projected in the top half of round one at this point a year ago). Might as well simply ask which position do you feel is our weakest?

But with that said......... OLB with both #1 picks (assuming Bulaga is brought back) and use the middle rounds to improve Oline depth. If Bulaga walks then OLB with the higher pick and RT with the 2nd one

drakehawkjd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How early they go Tackle depends entirely on whether they bring Bulaga back. If the feel hes worth the price tag you bring him back and draft a guy in the 2-4 range.

If they feel the injuries are too much (honestly I dont see him pricing himself out of GB with the injury history and age) then Tackle becomes a MASSIVE need.

Never really liked the whole "what position should we draft high next yeat" discussions as we have little idea who is declaring and where they'll be projected to go at this point (Arden Keys was projected in the top half of round one at this point a year ago). Might as well simply ask which position do you feel is our weakest?

But with that said......... OLB with both #1 picks (assuming Bulaga is brought back) and use the middle rounds to improve Oline depth. If Bulaga walks then OLB with the higher pick and RT with the 2nd one

I agree with pretty much everything you said except to go along with another thing you mentioned, RG is really out WEAKEST position on the team and that needs to be addressed at least by the second round or preferably late first round to try to get a player who is good enough out of the gate to play Week 1.

What is somewhat mind-boggling to me is looking around the league, how many teams have issues with OTs in general. I can only conclude that with a rising standard for pass rushers, it is increasingly difficult to find quality OTs to counter them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Those seem like essentially the same questions.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those seem like essentially the same questions.

Well the main difference being is we have no idea who is even going to be projected in really any area of the 1st round at this point. Take this past draft. Not many wouldve said Saftey was our weakest position but many still wanted James

drakehawkjd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the main difference being is we have no idea who is even going to be projected in really any area of the 1st round at this point. Take this past draft. Not many wouldve said Saftey was our weakest position but many still wanted James

I think that taking a player like James was going to be more of a BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE pick ala Ted Thompson over weakest position which was obviously CB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a long season, if Bulaga makes it thru relatively healthy, i'm guessing he's back again. If not, It becomes a higher priority. Either way, with 2 first rounders in an ideal world I'd love a top 10 talent pass rusher and nice 1st round Tackle worthy of that draft slot. But I can't pretend to know how this is all going to play out now. I'd take Dline, safety, linebacker (any position) tackle over the rest assuming they talent was there.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Saints pick ends up in Top 20, we are more likely to trade down. Get a 2nd and 3rd or possibly two 2nd for it.

Edge rusher in our own late 1st round pick and probably O & D lines till 4th. And then some developmental WRs and RBs for the rest.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If the Saints pick ends up in Top 20, we are more likely to trade down. Get a 2nd and 3rd or possibly two 2nd for it.

Edge rusher in our own late 1st round pick and probably O & D lines till 4th. And then some developmental WRs and RBs for the rest.
Or package our two 1st round selections for an impact player in the top half of the 1st round.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or package our two 1st round selections for an impact player in the top half of the 1st round.

Entirely possible. Depending on the trade partner, we should be able to package both of our picks for about the 10th overall. That's even assuming the two picks are #30 and #32.

Going much higher than 10 will be tricky regardless, as moving higher in the top 10 gets more expensive quicker.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Too early to really predict, but with what we saw out of Clay on Sunday night and the depth behind him, unless we land one between now and the draft, I can't imagine that our #1 priority going into the draft isn't EDGE.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Too early to really predict, but with what we saw out of Clay on Sunday night and the depth behind him, unless we land one between now and the draft, I can't imagine that our #1 priority going into the draft isn't EDGE.
Totally agree. I'd like to find a potentially elite edge player, and cut ties with Clay all together. I'm mildly comfortable with our DBs at the moment and I like our d-line.

I wouldn't be surprised to see our first two selections in next years draft as OLB/OL.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints just about gave up a 50 burger to Tampa today. This apparently broke a combined scoring record for week 1.
This is a very good sign for us getting another top 20 pick. I’d be content with anything in the top 25, well pleased in the top 20, and elated in the top 15.

But wouldn't a top 10 pick be fun?

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Entirely possible. Depending on the trade partner, we should be able to package both of our picks for about the 10th overall. That's even assuming the two picks are #30 and #32.

Going much higher than 10 will be tricky regardless, as moving higher in the top 10 gets more expensive quicker.

We just need for the injury bug to hit New Orleans hard. Nothing career threatening, just some season ending stuff.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, If at least one of our first rounders is within the top 20, I'd rather not have them trade up or down and just go BPA on a position of need (EDGE, OL, S, RB). I really like how the Packers have been double dipping on certain positions in recent drafts. It didn't pan out well in Randall and Rollins's draft class, and who knows, it might not work either for our RB tandem, and now new CB's and WR's groups, but if it does the FO has assured that these positions will not have to be revisited again quickly.

The upcoming draft is full of pass rushers.

Good time to have 2 first round picks.
Therefore I wouldn't mind double dipping at EDGE in the first round either. Who are the exciting prospects you would have in mind Janis?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Saints will be fine. Both picks will be in the 20's and they will try to package them to move into the top 10 for a pass rusher.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Saints will be fine. Both picks will be in the 20's and they will try to package them to move into the top 10 for a pass rusher.
you shut your dirty mouth, they're going 0-16 and don't your think or say otherwise

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The way our game started Sunday, I thought we might have 2 top 10 picks.
If Rodgers hadn't come back and was out for the season, that thought crossed my mind as well. While I wasn't happy with the outcome of the 2017 season, I did like having the higher pick than usual and what Gute ended up doing with it was even better.

Hoping we end up picking at #32 in 2019 with our own pick, but the Saints end up handing us a nice juicy top 10 selection.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers hadn't come back and was out for the season, that thought crossed my mind as well. While I wasn't happy with the outcome of the 2017 season, I did like having the higher pick than usual and what Gute ended up doing with it was even better.

Hoping we end up picking at #32 in 2019 with our own pick, but the Saints end up handing us a nice juicy top 10 selection.
we are getting pick 32, unless someone gets their 1st rounder taken away for doing something stupid, and the Saints are giving us the #1 overall. it will be a battle with the bills, but I have faith in them. And you, me and oldschool are going out for steaks in February. Freighthouse sound good?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
we are getting pick 32, unless someone gets their 1st rounder taken away for doing something stupid, and the Saints are giving us the #1 overall. it will be a battle with the bills, but I have faith in them. And you, me and oldschool are going out for steaks in February. Freighthouse sound good?

Yup! The 3 of us made that deal soon after the draft! Saints are going down.....down.....down.......

My parents are not very happy with me. They moved to the NO area after retirement and have become Saints fans (behind the Packers). So anytime I open my mouth up about the Saints needing to loose, I can just feel that icy cold stare from miles away. After Sundays game, my Dad just said "what kind of hex did you put on my Saints with all your talk!" :roflmao:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I can definitely envision a top 10 pick coming via the Saints. Will be interesting to see what type of talent is available at the top 10-12 level.
I haven’t seen or heard of any generational talents available this year in college football but it’s still early.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can definitely envision a top 10 pick coming via the Saints. Will be interesting to see what type of talent is available at the top 10-12 level.
I haven’t seen or heard of any generational talents available this year in college football but it’s still early.

Do whatever it takes to get Nick Bosa.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup! The 3 of us made that deal soon after the draft! Saints are going down.....down.....down.......

My parents are not very happy with me. They moved to the NO area after retirement and have become Saints fans (behind the Packers). So anytime I open my mouth up about the Saints needing to loose, I can just feel that icy cold stare from miles away. After Sundays game, my Dad just said "what kind of hex did you put on my Saints with all your talk!" :roflmao:
Hex? Nawl'ens must get to people. Apparently your folks are into voodoo now as well. I suppose some will think, if it gives us the #1 pick - have at it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts