Tracking the New Orleans Saints (2019 1st rounder)

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFC South is such a crap shot with 3 good teams. Should see 2 losses from the away contests @ ATL and @ Car. The @NYG game will be interesting because the Giants sucked last year due to injuries, but could see them turnaround and win the East. Last year they were 11-5 and should have made the NFCCG, but a crappy play stopped that... 2 years ago though they were 7-9 and almost fired Sean Peyton. Finishing between those two records seem likely with 9-7 or 8-8 a strong possibility. I know a few pundits think they have a very good super bowl chance, but I just don't think they will be as good as last year. Very few injuries last year doesn't usually repeat the next year. Which would pass us the #15-18 pick.

Losses
@ATL
@NYG
@Min
LAR
@Dal
@Car

Possible Losses
Phi
Pitts
Atl
Car
@Bal

Wins
TB
Cle
Wash
@Cinn
@TB

One game in and you're already wrong. TB beat New Orleans today!!!! Yee haw.

Reaction score
Saints just about gave up a 50 burger to Tampa today. This apparently broke a combined scoring record for week 1.
This is a very good sign for us getting another top 20 pick. I’d be content with anything in the top 25, well pleased in the top 20, and elated in the top 15.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we are off to a good start! Saints loose at home against ****** Bay! I din't watch the game, but I am going to assume by the final score, the Saints defense is going to be helping the Packers secure a decent draft pick in 2019! :) Looks like the Saints had no running game as well.

A great way to start the season for the Packers!

WTG Saints!! 0-1

I got my zillion points from Brees and Kamara and the Saints took the loss. See, this is what I was talking about. I'll take this every single week. I'm with XPack though, Saints D gotta go

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I got my zillion points from Brees and Kamara and the Saints took the loss. See, this is what I was talking about. I'll take this every single week. I'm with XPack though, Saints D gotta go

I'm in too many leagues. Kamara helped me in one and killed me in another.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Saints next 6:

-Vs. Browns
-@ Falcons
-@ Giants
-Vs. Redskins
-@ Ravens
-@ Vikings

Week one impressions often get equalized in week 2. We don't really know who anyone *is* yet. But hopefully the Redskins and Ravens are legit and the Saints pick up 3-4 more losses over this next stretch.

I think it's important to point out that the Saints' good defense last year and great record are outliers compared to what we've come to expect from Payton/Brees (lots of 7-9). It's not necessarily the new normal.

drakehawkjd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who would everyone take with our two first rounders? My hope is that we go after a really good Guard and then either a top flight RB or LB. While Jones and Williams are nice options, I think it would be very beneficial to have a RB (wish they wouldve taken D. Cook a couple years ago) to take some of the load from A Rod. Last night was a perfect example of how vulnerable we are without Rodgers offensively

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nick Bosa is on track to be a top 1-3 pick depending on QB needs.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nick Bosa is on track to be a top 1-3 pick depending on QB needs.
Yup, that is where the Saints pick will come in handy and with the Packers #32 pick, maybe OLB Josh Allen out of Kentucky...bookends for the future!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yup, that is where the Saints pick will come in handy and with the Packers #32 pick, maybe OLB Josh Allen out of Kentucky...bookends for the future!

Unless Spriggs takes a big jump, they better find a new tackle!

drakehawkjd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Spriggs takes a big jump, they better find a new tackle!

I don't think we really need a new tackle as Bulaga and Bahktiari are good tackles who in the grand scheme are not breaking the bank. I think the Spriggs experiment is about over. What I could see happening is that we take either a play-maker (hopefully RB) and edge rusher in the first round. Then take a Guard either with the second pick in the first round or with the second round pick.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My hope is that we go after a really good Guard and then either a top flight RB or LB.
You really seriously don't pay much attention to the Packers drafting priorities do you. Guard in the first round will not happen with the current front office. OL is mostly a develop area of the draft for them and it would take a really special RB for him to be a top 65 pick also.

drakehawkjd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really seriously don't pay much attention to the Packers drafting priorities do you. Guard in the first round will not happen with the current front office. OL is mostly a develop area of the draft for them and it would take a really special RB for him to be a top 65 pick also.

Oh I pay attention (at times much to my frustration) but I am also seeing them pay a lot of money to Rodgers so they would be wise to protect that investment. We have had too many whiffs lately in the draft and develop efforts on OL. We had Bahktiari and Linsley turn out doing that and not much else; problem is that we need 5+ lineman to make a truly quality unit.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think we really need a new tackle as Bulaga and Bahktiari are good tackles who in the grand scheme are not breaking the bank. I think the Spriggs experiment is about over. What I could see happening is that we take either a play-maker (hopefully RB) and edge rusher in the first round. Then take a Guard either with the second pick in the first round or with the second round pick.

Bulaga is going to be 30 next season, is a free agent the year after, and he’s increasingly fragile. The Packer’s offense puts a lot of stress on their tackles. They’ll need to look for a replacement in the near future.

drakehawkjd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga is going to be 30 next season, is a free agent the year after, and he’s increasingly fragile. The Packer’s offense puts a lot of stress on their tackles. They’ll need to look for a replacement in the near future.

That isn't THAT old for an OT. I predict that they will sign him to a 3-4 deal worth $20-25 million (discount from his current contract) and yes sometime thereafter look for a long term option. One prospect I could see as a real possibility is G Connor McGovern from Penn St who is being touted by some as the best G in the draft who we could likely pick in the latter part of the first round.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The saints looked terrible at the start of last season too. Not going to get too excited

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The saints looked terrible at the start of last season too. Not going to get too excited

The Saints also opened on the Road against the Vikings and then lost to the Patriots at home last year. If you look at who the Saints beat last year, they weren't all that impressive. This year the Saints are tied with the Lions for the second hardest strength of schedule.

I'm still optimistic that the Saints are over rated and will hand over a pretty decent first round pick to the Packers. Anything happens to Brees and that pick might become top 5.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That isn't THAT old for an OT. I predict that they will sign him to a 3-4 deal worth $20-25 million (discount from his current contract) and yes sometime thereafter look for a long term option. One prospect I could see as a real possibility is G Connor McGovern from Penn St who is being touted by some as the best G in the draft who we could likely pick in the latter part of the first round.

The Packers rarely extend players twice. That’s a practice that allows them to pay big money for premium players like Rodgers and still maintain a healthy cap. Bulaga would be a bad exception as he is injury-prone. Besides, if he has another good year I can’t imagine why he’d sign a deal so far below market.

drakehawkjd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers rarely extend players twice. That’s a practice that allows them to pay big money for premium players like Rodgers and still maintain a healthy cap. Bulaga would be a bad exception as he is injury-prone. Besides, if he has another good year I can’t imagine why he’d sign a deal so far below market.

Perhaps but we currently have NO ONE in the pipeline that would be able to replace Bulaga so they had better get something going soon if that is the plan.