Tracking playoff positioning

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think we would be any better with OBJ. I already want to see Doubs in the game for more snaps and to see the TEs work the middle of the field more.
I tend to agree, at least for whatever is left of this season. However, I would love to see him in GB, if it means it includes 2023. Of course, as always, at a reasonable price. My guess is that teams have been in touch with him, but he either wants too much or as someone alluded to, he really isn't physically fully ready to contribute this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
McCarthy worked him out a couple weeks ago. Sounds like he clearly isn't ready to play.
Yup, he has had visits with the Giants, Cowboys and Bills. The Cowboys signed Hilton and the Bills signed Beasley. The article I just read made it sound like most think he will just wait until the 2023 Free Agent period and be the premier guy that people will try to sign. Makes sense really. He comes back and plays a playoff game or 2, I doubt he drives his stock price up, if at all. Also, runs the risk of injury and getting nothing in 2023.

He will go after as much guaranteed money as he can get, with a team he wants to play for.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That bit with the Cowboys has just been weird all around. They were all (JJ especially) very public about wanting to bring him in...It does make me wonder if it's not that he's asking for more money than they (And/or others) would like to pay and perhaps they're trying to hard-ball a deal.

About two and a half weeks back Rapaport reported about the Cowboys' interest and said he was at least four weeks away from playing, maybe more like 6. So that would MAYBE see him back in time for the Wild Card round, best-case scenario. But six weeks from then is already coming up on Conference Championship weekend and I do have to think that if you've made it that far you're probably not going to bother making such a move.

If he's ready for the WC round, though...

D

Deleted member 6794

We lost Sammy and never really were compensated there. If we win and OBJ was ready? I’d consider taking a stab with a phone call. A lower end contract but loaded with performance incentives and tied to availability (but maybe bend a little and give him that 2yr term as he wants some stability) I think he’d like to play with #12 just a hunch.

OBJ, or any other player signed solely for the playoffs, could make a maximum of $333K if he plays for a team that ends up winning the Super Bowl. None of that money would count against the cap.

Therefore I'm convinced OBJ would only be interested in signing with a team if he's signed for the 2023 season as well with guaranteed money being involved for next season.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Therefore I'm convinced OBJ would only be interested in signing with a team if he's signed for the 2023 season as well with guaranteed money being involved for next season.
That seems to be in-line with most of the reporting I've heard too, that he's more or less looking for guarantees not just for the remainder of this season but all of next year as well.

Though with that being said the idea (suggested by some others above) that he would perhaps rather just forgo a 2022/23 return entirely to be the marquee piece for the 2023 FA class would make some sense too IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That seems to be in-line with most of the reporting I've heard too, that he's more or less looking for guarantees not just for the remainder of this season but all of next year as well.

Though with that being said the idea (suggested by some others above) that he would perhaps rather just forgo a 2022/23 return entirely to be the marquee piece for the 2023 FA class would make some sense too IMO.
Agreed. Especially, given Captains info of he "could make a maximum of $333K if he plays for a team that ends up winning the Super Bowl." Why risk injury and/or lowering his market value, as well as losing out on guaranteed money? I doubt he risks all that just to chase a SB ring, to wear next to the one he got with the Rams last year. A team will be willing to sign him in Free Agency, pay him well and give him guaranteed millions. I am guessing he will be willing to wait for that and the bidding of several teams to commence.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Especially, given Captains info of he "could make a maximum of $333K if he plays for a team that ends up winning the Super Bowl." Why risk injury and/or lowering his market value, as well as losing out on guaranteed money? I doubt he risks all that just to chase a SB ring, to wear next to the one he got with the Rams last year. A team will be willing to sign him in Free Agency, pay him well and give him guaranteed millions. I am guessing he will be willing to wait for that and the bidding of several teams to commence.

Green Bay could use some of it's 3M remaining space for 2022 if they wanted to help offset 2023 or forward cost. I don't like it over just keeping Lazard around personally.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see any way the Bengals vs Bills game will be played as the league already announced it won't happen this week. I fully expect them to use winning percentage to decide the playoff seeding.
This shafts the Bills if the Chiefs win. Also Ravens if the Bengals lose.
I could see delaying the playoffs a week and eliminating the week off before the SB. Bengals v Bills as only game during what WAS the wild card weekend. The SB week off was eliminated after 9/11 IIRC.

Reaction score
I tend to agree, at least for whatever is left of this season. However, I would love to see him in GB, if it means it includes 2023. Of course, as always, at a reasonable price. My guess is that teams have been in touch with him, but he either wants too much or as someone alluded to, he really isn't physically fully ready to contribute this season.
That’s exactly what I had said. OBJ could be a nice veteran transition player in 2023. I’m thinking 50/50 one of Lazard or Cobb is gone.

In addition there lots of time between now and an NFC game. I’m also considering we can’t expect to play a potential month of football with no WR injuries. We don’t have to bench anyone, just use him sparingly until he proves he’s healthy.

Some people don’t like the guy. He’ll some people don’t like our QB for that matter. That’s fine if they don’t like him and I fully understand that. He’s a diva. He doesn’t need to be “the guy” This is all just talk we aren’t a playoff lock unless we take care of business Sunday night. I’m not taking anything for granted, we need to show up big time.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see delaying the playoffs a week and eliminating the week off before the SB. Bengals v Bills as only game during what WAS the wild card weekend. The SB week off was eliminated after 9/11 IIRC.
I see it as a circumstance that you cannot account for nor just let slide. So, just move on and do what is most fair w/o playing that game. Which I think would be to let the percentages determine who takes what seed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that was more plausible because all of the games across the league were cancelled and everything shifted. In this case, it's 1 game and we're 1 week from playoffs starting. I guess there are ways to do it, so maybe, but i'm guessing they move on.

Reaction score
I think that was more plausible because all of the games across the league were cancelled and everything shifted. In this case, it's 1 game and we're 1 week from playoffs starting. I guess there are ways to do it, so maybe, but i'm guessing they move on.
True. Really everything is based on Win % and this doesn’t hurt or help either team. 16 games is plenty to formulate a Win % it’s been that way for decades until recently. It wouldn’t be much different than a Tie etc.

My opinion is move on to Week 18 and give these players who were traumatized 1 game relief. Re-Playing this game would only aggravate people even more.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
True. Really everything is based on Win % and this doesn’t hurt or help either team. 16 games is plenty to formulate a Win % it’s been that way for decades until recently. It wouldn’t be much different than a Tie etc.

My opinion is move on to Week 18 and give these players who were traumatized 1 game relief. Re-Playing this game would only aggravate people even more.
Well, it could hurt a couple of teams. For example, if the Bills had won the postponed game they would currently be tied with KC and would have the one seed. The only way they can possibly get the seed with a percentage is if KC loses. Essentially they would be giving KC the one seed. Does anyone think they will lose this week? It could also make a difference in who wins the AFC north. ******** Baltimore is out of the position if they win this week and Cinci lost last week. The game has major ramifications for the playoffs. But, let's just ignore it and move on. I wonder, how would you feel if your team got shut out of the first seed because they weren't allowed to finish a game?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, it could hurt a couple of teams. For example, if the Bills had won the postponed game they would currently be tied with KC and would have the one seed. The only way they can possibly get the seed with a percentage is if KC loses. Essentially they would be giving KC the one seed. Does anyone think they will lose this week? It could also make a difference in who wins the AFC north. ******** Baltimore is out of the position if they win this week and Cinci lost last week. The game has major ramifications for the playoffs. But, let's just ignore it and move on. I wonder, how would you feel if your team got shut out of the first seed because they weren't allowed to finish a game?
All good points and lets not forget about one of the biggest factors for the NFL....money. I imagine Cincy would be refunding all those tickets if the game is cancelled. Both teams will be playing this weekend I assume, having them play again next week, while the rest of the playoff teams take the week off, makes the most sense to me. No games are lost, but travel and stay logistics for fans get shifted. I don't think that is all that big of a deal, since it hasn't been or would it have been, set in stone where all teams were playing in week 1, had the game finished.

Minor factor is also bonuses, incentives and stats. I have no clue if either team has players that this would effect their pay or important stats.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn’t care. Life throws stuff at me like this all the time. I’m not personally going get my feathers ruffled over something out of my control.
Now if it knocked me out of the playoffs? I’d get together some friends and a barrel of beer and roll some police cars at city hall. :eek:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, they will not resume the game because it will have no impact on who makes the playoffs, and they are going to vote on possibly holding the AFC Championship game at a neutral site.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, they will not resume the game because it will have no impact on who makes the playoffs, and they are going to vote on possibly holding the AFC Championship game at a neutral site.
Not sure what choices can be made. They cannot delay any of the playoffs for one game at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

The game has major ramifications for the playoffs. But, let's just ignore it and move on. I wonder, how would you feel if your team got shut out of the first seed because they weren't allowed to finish a game?

The NFL cancelling a game because one of the players came extremely close to dying on the field significantly trumps a fans hurt feelings about not getting a chance for his team to compete for the #1 seed in my honest opinion.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure will be interesting if they add an 8th team...Im assuming that scenario would be...they make up the Bills Bengals game next weekend while every other playoff team has a bye. Then they play 4 "wild card" games in each conference the following weekend

Presumably however none of this matters if the Chiefs win, the Bills lose, and the Bengals win. In that circumstance would they just leave the playoffs as is?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see how a neutral site makes any sense...what if one of the teams who is not involved directly in this goes on a run and ends up earning the right to host the afc championship game? Why would they be punished by being forced to play at a neutral site?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see how a neutral site makes any sense...what if one of the teams who is not involved directly in this goes on a run and ends up earning the right to host the afc championship game? Why would they be punished by being forced to play at a neutral site?
No it is only possible if the AFC Championship involves the Bills, Chiefs, or Bengals. If anyone else earns the right to host it, they will host it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No it is only possible if the AFC Championship involves the Bills, Chiefs, or Bengals. If anyone else earns the right to host it, they will host it.
2 of those 3 teams? What if it ended up being the Chiefs and Chargers in the AFCCG? I assume at KC?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts