Titans preseason studs/duds

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well, that's all we have to go on. Until one of them is asked to come in for Rodgers. I've seen enough of Hundley.

After last season I get the disappointment and disdain for Hundley, but I really doubt Boyle would do any better and probably worse if he was thrown into a regular season game at this point in his career. As HRE, myself and others have pointed out, preseason is really hard to gauge, since the level of talent of both the players you are playing with and against vary so widely. Through the years, we have seen a lot of players shine in preseseason, but when it comes to the regular season, they don't look that hot, simply because the level of talent they are now facing is much better.

Reaction score
The biggest things that stuck out to me was..
-its very early and this game was sloppy in general. Lots of dropped passes. Fouls on both sidea. Some balls didn’t get within 5 yards of a receivers

-Bell looked underwhelming and gets a poor grading.
-Burks looks fast and survived on his athleticism and instincts and he’s a solid tackler. He’s also a ball Hawk and I think he can surpass Desmond Bishop/Eric Walden type status with some additional live game experience and some solid coaching correcting his technique.
-Hundley didnt appear as bad as some are making him out to be. I think we’re still sore about last year..but last year is gone. This performance didn’t necessarily help his cause either though.
-Quentin Rollins appeared uncomfortable.
-If I didn’t know and you had told me Josh Jackson was a 1st rounder? I would’ve believed you. He played like one.
-Our RBs group looked solid overall. We’ll have some tough decisions making cuts.
-Montravious Adams looked like a young Kenny Clark. He was disruptive on several plays and held his own on the others
-MVS played more like a 3rd rounder and was playing pumped up and confident.
Kumerow played like a promising mid round draft pick.. while J’mon Moore played like he got signed off the street last month.

I know it’s early and this is critical. I’m sure much of the sloppiness will dissipate as each hand gets played. Players will rise and players will fall.
Other than the first drive..and not counting garbage time the last few minutes... our backups handled their backups and won 75% of the time and that was good to see.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perhaps. I can see Daniels, Clark and Wilkerson out there together in base. Whether Wilkerson (or Adams for that matter) are upgrades over Lowry against the run remains to be seen. Lowry was pretty decent against the run last year. The main benefit is better depth that should keep snap counts manageable and keep the guys fresher longer.

The packers could continue to use Lowry in those situations if he's an upgrade over Wilkerson or Adams though.

That's really all we have to go by, that and the eyeball test.

Once again, using preseason rating is a terrible way to evaluate a quarterback.

Hundley didnt appear as bad as some are making him out to be. I think we’re still sore about last year..but last year is gone. This performance didn’t necessarily help his cause either though.

Our RBs group looked solid overall. We’ll have some tough decisions making cuts.

I'm still disappointed in Hundley's performance last season as well but in my opinion he looked pretty good vs. the Titans.

While the blocking definitely factored into their play the running backs didn't impress, averaging a paltry 2.4 yards per carry. I fully expect Williams, Montgomery and Ripkowski to make the initial roster with Jones being activated once his suspension is done. I don't believe the Packers will keep another one on the 53.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm still disappointed in Hundley's performance last season as well but in my opinion he looked pretty good vs. the Titans.

Agreed. I was actually more disappointed in Kizer in the Family Night Scrimmage, as well as the Titan game. I realize that despite starting last year for the Browns, he has a lot of learning and unlearning to do, but even his arm strength looked questionable.

It will be interesting to see where Hundley and Kizer end up when the 53 is announced. I'm not so sure they will both be on the Packers final roster, nor at this point am I very clear on who it would be backing up #12. I remember last year the talk of possibly trading Hundley and who knows, that may happen with either him or Kizer this year, but I doubt either of them will fetch much. The upside seems to be more with Kizer, so I think at this point unless he just doesn't improve during the preseason, Hundley could be auditioning for another team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not so sure they will both be on the Packers final roster, nor at this point am I very clear on who it would be backing up #12. I remember last year the talk of possibly trading Hundley and who knows, that may happen with either him or Kizer this year, but I doubt either of them will fetch much.

I don't believe both Hundley and Kizer make the 53. Just like last year no team will be interested in trading for either one of them.

I agree, until he crapped his pants whipped and an int. Now, that's losing football. Nothing has changed with this guy.

Take a look at the play. Bell was badly beaten on it resulting in Hundley being hit while throwing. The interception was definitely not his fault.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't believe both Hundley and Kizer make the 53. Just like last year no team will be interested in trading for either one of them.

I agree. I don't believe either of them are good enough to carry a Rogerless team very far in 2018, so why keep both. I would think that Kizer has the bigger upside right now, couple that with Hundley's rookie contract being up at the end of this season and I would think that would put #7 squarely on the outside looking in.

The next 2 games will be a pretty good indication of which way the Packers are leaning. If Kizer gets a lot more playing time than Hundley, we have our answer. That is unless the Packers somehow hope Hundley might have marginal trade value, which I think we both agree, he probably doesn't.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree. I don't believe either of them are good enough to carry a Rogerless team very far in 2018, so why keep both. I would think that Kizer has the bigger upside right now, couple that with Hundley's rookie contract being up at the end of this season and I would think that would put #7 squarely on the outside looking in.

I agree the Packers will most likely keep Kizer because he still has three years left on his rookie contract as well as the team trading Randall to acquire him. He hasn't played any better than Hundley during the preseason though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree the Packers will most likely keep Kizer because he still has three years left on his rookie contract as well as the team trading Randall to acquire him. He hasn't played any better than Hundley during the preseason though.

Agreed. I don' think Kizer or Hundley are enough to carry the Packers to anything but the same thing that happened last year when AR went down. The OL and run game just doesn't give the Packers enough to rely on anything but AR working his magic. Really at this point no reason to keep Hundley around, his rookie contract will be up and so many better options than he provides.

Kizer at least has some potential to build on. He hasn't shown a ton, but who knows what he will look like next year, whereas I think we have seen enough of Hundley to know what he is.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer at least has some potential to build on. He hasn't shown a ton, but who knows what he will look like next year, whereas I think we have seen enough of Hundley to know what he is.
Kizer seems to under throw the ball on many of his passes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kizer seems to under throw the ball on many of his passes.
I mentioned that after Family Night, when I thought he looked terrible. Even the first game against the Titans he was meh, but he had some nice throws against the Steelers.

Latest posts