Titans preseason studs/duds

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs

Josh Jackson - wow. Did not look like a raw rookie as can be reasonably expected. Covered very well and did all the little things. Seems to really have a great grasp of the game.

Hundly - made a couple mistakes, but also made some impressive passes and decisions. His deep one to Adams was perfectly thrown. Needs to feel pressure better and react sooner.

Burks - played better than I expected. Had eye popping quickness. Did look instinctive and aggressive, I thought he was more raw and would take time to develop.

MVS - his deep catch was awesome. Shocking how deep he got so quickly. Plays as fast as he times. TD catch was impressive concentration. Thought he was getting some poor passes.

Pettine - defense only had 4 of 11 starters and looked decent. Rookies looked good. So far, so good.

Kumerow. Didnt get good opportunities, but did the best with what he has been given.

Okay

Yancy, Jamaal Williams, and fackrell all looked decent.

Duds

JMon Moore. Had opportunity for 3 great catches - none made. Had another fairly easy long TD in hands and dropped.

Bell OT - hopefully just some rust. Looked stiff and not very quick.

Non packer comment

Watched first play for NYG and Barkly ripped off 39 yr run and made it look simple. Power, quickness, vision, speed, and smart running all displayed in that carry. He is going to be really something special.

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs - Boyle - this kid has got something that needs further review.
J Jax - yeah coming in he looks pretty smooth
Williams - he runs w elusiveness, solid tweener back
Punter - wow this kid has talent...we haven't seen decent punting in years....

Duds - Hundley - still a slow release and read issues. He is not dependable at all. Project wash up. I understand it is Preseason but he hesitates still...
Moore - reminds me of Jermike. needs to work on control. He got open though.

too early to tell anything from this game. This D better be able to get a push with the starters in there we will see.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Didn't get to watch the game, but I saw Fackrell had a sack. What were the circumstances on that?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Boyle - Had 2 TDs and some really nice passes that were dropped. Knows how to stand in the face of pressure and deliver.
Allison - Had some really nice catches. Obvious that his grasp of the offense is much more natural this year.
MVS/ESB - two rookies who looked really, really promising.
Burks - kid's always around the ball
Dom Capers - Wasn't anywhere within a thousand miles of Lambeau

Duds:

Moore - C'Mon J'Mon! Great job getting open but it doesn't matter if you can't catch.
Hundley - Still teases with some nice preseason throws but still obvious he will never have any degree of pocket awareness.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison a stud? He had 2 catches for 12 yards. He had that one nifty grab for 9 yards but he was a far cry from a stud imo. I would say Adams looked like a stud out there though, caught both his targets of the opening series including burning butler for the 48 yarder that set up the touchdown. He looked strong and bigger and confident to take on that number 1 role.

Jmon did drop a handful of easy ones including a TD. Had he come down with the catches he should have, he woulda looked like the best wr on the field tonight. I’m going to chalk it up to focus drops due to nerves or something, but I was impressed with him being able to get open a lot and being able to adjust to the ball in the air, I feel like he’s got a good understanding of how to use his body against the defense. I look for him to have a much better outing next week.

Josh Jackson looked good out there, he wasn’t giving up much space and had a clean technique, got called for a bad penalty that was just good defense.

Burks, he didn’t stand out to me, I suppose he didn’t make many mistakes, but I wanted to see a bit more from him. For how athletic he was he seemed to be a little timid or something, maybe trying hard not to blow it caused him to play a little slower than I had hoped.

MVS and St.Brown both looked good imo, both easily look like they had the talent to go a couple rounds earlier than they did.

Donnerson forced a fumble but then seemingly disappeared, probably going to be the case for him this year as he works in his technique, loads of potential but inconsistent.

Haha, Thomas and Gilbert looked pretty good.

Byron Bell was a dud.

Scott is my favorite packer punter of all time already haha.

That’s about all that stood out to me in preseason week 1, it’s only preseason though so who knows how how of these guys will look or improve as the weeks progress. On to week 2.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
J'mon isn't worth putting on the field if he can't catch. Some of those would have been good catches, and as I said before the game. I don't want the "oh that would have been a great play", I want one of them to to just make it, and then follow it up with 3 routine ones too. Show you belong. Show you can be relied upon to catch the ball when it is thrown to you. Everything about him looks great, except the most important part. He can work on it. He's not the first to go thru it. IF he gets that part down, easily the best WR on the field last night not named Adams.

Speaking of Adams, both offense and defense Adams impressed me last night. Jackson looked pretty decent. Hundley was looking pretty good, but then like last year, it's always something. Now granted he didn't have much of a chance at all, but he just doesn't have the awareness it seems. Up to that point he wasn't perfect, but he looked like he belonged on the field. But none of it matters if it cant' be finished. Nice drive, doesn't feel the pressure, INT and drive over. Kizer seems better in that regard, but his accuracy needs work. I read they did a bunch to his footwork and mechanics so maybe he has to work thru it, or maybe that's how he is. We'll find out. But overall for the 1st preseason games and playing nothing but #2 and lower on depth chart I don't find a whole lot to complain about the back up QB spots right now other than people expect Rodgers to back up Rodgers.

Lots of other guys made some plays didn't make others or weren't in long enough to really matter a lot. There's more to be seen. MVS and Brown look like they could have something, but anybody can look that way in one game. Kumerow does seem to do the little things well and was pretty steady though most of that didn't come until later in the game. I'd like to see all those guys be more aggressive and get those contested balls. I think Brown, Kumerow and Yancy all missed one. They were pretty good defensive plays, i'm not saying they blew it, but I want to see one of those guys show they can get those reliably. MvS had one in the endzone. Moore could have had a couple. Right now I'd say Yancey has the inside track on all those guys.

H

HardRightEdge

Didn't get to watch the game, but I saw Fackrell had a sack. What were the circumstances on that?
It was the second play of the game. Fackrell was in coverage. Mariota ditched the pocket, rolled right, started to run, got back to the line of scrimage, slid, and Fackrell came up and fell on him for no gain. It's a case of a cheap stat.

Gilbert on the on the other hand had the single best Packer edge rush I can recall from a guy not named Matthews, Perry or Peppers in quite some time. It was at the one minute mark in the first quarter against the right OT. Sudden, nice hand work, had Gabbert in his sites in a hurry. Gabbert went to the quick check down because of it, with an offensive holding call on the play, so it does not show up in the stat sheet and the play was wiped out anyway.

Gilbert had a couple of other good looking plays in limited snaps. I was skeptical of the enthusiasm for this player expressed by some posters, but I'd have to say at this stage he looks like the first guy off the bench at OLB.

By the way, I have a subscription to NFL Game Pass. Going forward, if anybody wants to pinpoint a particular play, providing the quarter and time on the clock from the ESPN play-by-play listing, I'll can go to the game replay and offer my two cents if the number of requests are not excessive.

I didn't notice Biegel on the field except for the fumble recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It was the second play of the game. Fackrell was in coverage. Mariota ditched the pocket, rolled right, started to run, got back to the line of scrimage, slid, and Fackrell came up and fell on him for no gain. It's a case of a cheap stat.

Gilbert on the on the other hand had the single best Packer edge rush I can recall from a guy not named Matthews, Perry or Peppers in quite some time. It was at the one minute mark in the first quarter against the right OT. Sudden, nice hand work, had Gabbert in his sites in a hurry. Gabbert went to the quick check down because of it, with an offensive holding call on the play, so it does not show up in the stat sheet and the play was wiped out anyway.

Gilbert had a couple of other good looking plays in limited snaps. I was skeptical of the enthusiasm for this player expressed by some posters, but I'd have to say at this stage he looks like the first guy off the bench at OLB.

By the way, I have a subscription to NFL Game Pass. Going forward, if anybody wants to pinpoint a particular play, providing the quarter and time on the clock from the ESPN play-by-play listing, I'll can go to the game replay and offer my two cents if the number of requests are not excessive.

I didn't notice Biegel on the field except for the fumble recovery.

Thanks for the information. I had heard that about Gilbert-- good news for the edge depth.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the same thing about Gilbert at this time last year and they still cut him and put him on the PS.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I thought the same thing about Gilbert at this time last year and they still cut him and put him on the PS.

No Ahmad Brooks style veteran around to take up a roster spot this time around. At least not yet.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch the game, but I saw a lot of MVS in the clips that have become available. It's only one week, but that's a good start towards building a case that he's too talented to cut.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the first half and the bits of the second half that I watched:

D. Adams looked great. He'll have a monster year if he stays healthy. You know he has to be great because he makes Hundley look like an almost NFL-caliber backup.

The first series defense looked terrible. Just like last year, the opponent marched down the field for an easy TD without breaking a sweat. I know it wasn't all the real starters, it's pre-season, the defense is plain vanilla, etc. etc. Still made me slightly queasy.

Should Rollins make this team? Gambled and lost on the big completion on the aforementioned opening drive. Also fumbled a punt. Based on last night I think he should drift down the depth chart a bit.

Lots of 'almost' great receptions. Moore was the worst offender. Boyle's throw to his fingertips should have been a beautiful TD. Not sold on Yancey yet. EQ shows some promise. Kumerow's routes looked good. Hope he gets more chances.

I want to see Kizer and then Boyle get reps with the 'first team' in the next couple games.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we allowed to point out that Harold Landry was an obvious stud?

Other than that, MVS and Kumerow were obvious studs.
Hundley was a stud based simply on the bar he set last year; he was able to actually throw the ball somewhat down the field. He still needs to figure out the whole pocket presence thing though.
Burks was studly.
Jackson started rough but turned it around to make the studs.

Duds were Moore (hopefully he can get over those drops), either the OL or RBs (whichever you feel like blaming for the anemic running game), and, while I feel like Bell should be on this part of the list for being bad at right tackle, I'm not sure it's his fault since he's obviously a guard and it looked the coaches were just experimenting.

Kizer, well, he wasn't a dud but he certainly didn't look like the experienced backup everyone was hoping to see. He didn't do much until the Titans started putting scrubs on the field. I mean, when Hundley outplays you against better defense, that's not great.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins gambled and lost, has to play that better. Was more concerned about the 1st TD. Don't know the responsibilities but Rollins and House have to play that better however it's supposed to go. the gamble on the big play doesn't bother me too much, he was there at least. It has to get better, but not as bad as that TD play I don't think. That was poor play or poor communication between those 2 guys and I don't know enough of who to "blame"

On the punt, he fielded it and it got punched out. It will be interesting to see if he takes such a relaxed position with the ball next time he catches one or if he's putting it away before he makes his first move? The guy has been out of football for a while and is seeing his first meaningful action. I know all the self proclaimed GM's have seen enough, but the one's that matter seem to think he has the ability. So i'm not holding his first action back again as his defining moments. How he responds to them will tell me more than what last night did.

i'm not sure Landry was a stud but rather Murphy is overrated by many. He's never looked good to me.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer, well, he wasn't a dud but he certainly didn't look like the experienced backup everyone was hoping to see. He didn't do much until the Titans started putting scrubs on the field. I mean, when Hundley outplays you against better defense, that's not great.
This is Kizer's first year in MM's system. It's Hundley's 4th. Hundley has looked great in preseason before. I saw nothing new from the guy to indicate he'd be any better this year than he was last year. He still has absolutely no feel for the pocket.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we allowed to point out that Harold Landry was an obvious stud?
Only noticed him on one play where he got the sack - his only tackle. Our OLine was not good last night. Watched him for a couple and he did nothing. Jury is still out. Would not call him a stud for the performance. You could say Fackrell had a better night with a sack and asst tackle for goodness sakes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is Kizer's first year in MM's system. It's Hundley's 4th. Hundley has looked great in preseason before. I saw nothing new from the guy to indicate he'd be any better this year than he was last year. He still has absolutely no feel for the pocket.
right on, why are people expecting Kizer to come out and light it up? Rodgers didn't come out year 2 and light it up either. Half of the fans were still wondering why we even picked him after his 2nd preseason was finished. They've been working on kizer's mechanics for one, which takes time to adjust to. and he has to learn new terminology and a new offense. Give the kid some time. He moves well, feels pressure ok. He can throw. Accuracy needs some work, but when you're thinking on how you're moving and thinking about what is going to happen in an offense, it affects the delivery. Maybe that's how it will always be, or maybe he gets more comfortable and the throws become more natural.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Hundly showed improvement. He maintained his poise and delivered some nice passes despite being rushed on too many throws. His bomb to Adam's was perfectly thrown. You are right on the pocket awareness. Must have poor peripheral vision or just focused on downfield too much. Needs to trust his reads and not look so intently down field. He made 4 or 5 bad passes though.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Hundly showed improvement. He maintained his poise and delivered some nice passes despite being rushed on too many throws. His bomb to Adam's was perfectly thrown. You are right on the pocket awareness. Must have poor peripheral vision or just focused on downfield too much. Needs to trust his reads and not look so intently down field. He made 4 or 5 bad passes though.

The thing is, a lot of people thought he turned a corner after the Steelers game last year where he looked great almost pulling out what would have been a tough game even with Rodgers, but then he went right back in the toilet. We've seen this before and it has proven to be an aberration. The bottom line is he cannot avoid a decent pass rush. How often did we watch him turn what would have been a 5 yard sack into a 15 yard sack because he panics and runs backward when he does sense the pressure? When he doesn't sense it, he fumbles.

H

HardRightEdge

Offense:

Willams: He looked pretty good, and continues to show that run-block-catch combination. There was a pass block early on where he identified a middle blitzer, came up, and stood the guy up in his tracks. We've seen this before. He may be among the best pass blocking backs in the league already. He loves to hit people. He's an interesting cat. Usually the guys who love to hit are innately angry and/or predatory. When this guy isn't smacking people or moving a pile he smiling and dancing. We all saw the catch and deke for the TD just confirming what we already knew: the guy can catch and be elusive in space. As a runner, I think he's still operating under the Warren Buffett rules translated to running backs. Buffett's Rule 1: Don't lose money. Buffett's rule #2: See rule #1. Williams' case it's don't lose yards and don't fumble. These are not small things. There's till a maturation process required. In the halftime interview, when asked he said he'd rather hit a guy than elude him. That requires an adjustment to the mind set. We want to see that slash and stiff arm at the second level more often in gobbling yards. We stll don't know if he can make that adjustment to get up to the next level, but as it stands he's a solid running back.

Valdez-Scantling: Surprisingly impressive in that I did not expect him to show good routes and catches on inside routes. We knew he was a burner with decent hands, but I did not expect to see that route versatility. His college QB chronically underthrew him in his highlight clips; Kizer did the same thing on that deep completion. That 40 time is no illusion and these QBs need to catch up to it. Based on this game's performance, it looks like they'll need to find a way to get him on the field at least in 4-wide sets. See Kumerow comments below.

Moore: On the subject of route versatility, it's interesting to note that Moore saw quite a few throws, all on the sidelines just as we say on the college tape. I can't say I noted whether he ran inside routes, but if he did he didn't get the ball. The obvious knock was his drop on that near certain TD on that Boyle deep throw, like a young James Jones. :whistling: He missed on a tough low throw. He missed on a tough catch in the end zone with a defender's hand stuck in there. What does not show in the stat sheet is he drew two pass interference calls on jump balls, which is not a small thing. Some of the criticism in the above posts is excessively harsh for this early going, but based on this performance he's still just that college player we saw on tape. We might have wait for year 2 if there isn't a jump soon.

Kumerow: He had a bit of a rocky start then made a couple of plays later against the lesser competition. It was kind of interesting to see Rodgers showing his typical stone face on the sideline shots until the Kumerow TD where he went a little nuts. Relief in seeing some justfication for his comments? I think he needs to find some love, some way or some how, for Mr. Valdez-Scantling, because the mere presence of that deep threat at least opens up other possibilities.

St. Brown: Something about him bothers me. It's just a look-and-feel thing. Maybe my view is unduly colored by the reports of his father's involvement and methods. Insisting he not play special teams at Notre dames sticks firmly in my craw. I think I can best characterize my current view as "as all-technique, little intensity". It's just the way he moves on the field that's bothering me. Smooth, yes. Too smooth around the edges? Maybe. Robo receiver? That's my fear. It's early. I'd like to be wrong.

Hundley and Kizer: These were the same guys we saw last season. Hundley's pocket awareness and feel remains poor; he still looks better out of the pocket than in. Both Hundley's and Kizer's accuracy are still hit or miss. I didn't see any progress from these guys in this game. Hundley is at least trying to play his game even if it is not McCarthy's or the NFL's game on half the snaps. Kizer looks generally tentative and a little confused. It's a new system for him, of course, but he's going to have to get with the program soon to get to #2.

Boyle: On the other hand, this guy was pretty surprising. He showed good arm strength, a pretty spiral, and deep ball accuracy. He looks comfortable in the pocket compared to Hundley's twichiness. Now, Boyle had the benefit of playing against the bottom of the Titan's roster that late in the game, kind of a 2rd. tier college all-star game. I'd like to see him get some snaps earlier in the pre-season games to see what he can do against better competition. Sadly, that may require an injury to Hundley or Kizer as McCarthy defers to experience against NFL competition while these vets need the work. The way Boyle looks now, I'd say he's got a good chance of landing on somebody's practice squad, I just don't know if it will be the Packer's. More looks to come.

Bell: Scrappy vet with notable athletic shortcomings. We do not want to see him having to start. He played to that poor PFF grade of last season.

Spriggs: There's evident trouble in Spriggs City. I didn't notice him on the field until pretty late in the game with 3rd. stringers. I didn't notice him doing anything particularly good or bad, and maybe McCarthy's OK with him and for this game wanted to get a good look at Bell to decide if he's worth keeping, but that's probably wishful thinking. Spriggs is not deep on experience and could use the work, so not getting it against the better competition does not bode well. More looks are needed to confirm this preliminary impression.

Defense:

Gilbert: He was pretty impressive in limited snaps as already noted in another post above. This is your #3 OLB at this stage by a fairly wide margin. Somebody's going to have start doing something special pretty soon to change that outlook.

Short field zone: Early in the second quarter Tennessee had the ball down to the 5 yard line. The short field zone on successive plays, at least in the middle of the field that we could see, was darn near a revelation compared to what we've been looking at the last couple of years. For all the citicism of Capers, this weakness in his defense did not get enough attention. Confusion (and tantrums) were a Capers hallmark in the short field zone. Anyway, on those two plays, the positioning, awareness and handoffs among the two ILBs and the middle safety were pretty slick. Granted, it was Gabbert playing with second stringers, but he is an NFL vet and he appeared to be befuddled by what he was looking at. This is an extremely important aspect of the game if we're intested in red zone defense, which I believe we should be. ;) Keep an eye on it.

Burks: I liked him a lot better in coverage than against the run. I think he'll be a keeper. While nowhere near as clueless as in that infamous Alabama game tape, I noted a couple of run plays where mis-reads and late anticipation took him out of the play. I dunno. If he doesn't catch up pretty soon he may have to split time with somebody, though with Ryan out of the picture I don't know who that might be at this stage.

Jackson: Coming out, he drew some comparisons to Sherman. I didn't see that in the highlight tapes other than Jackson showing good ball skills. Now I get it. Sherman is the master of the ticky-tack. He maintains contact with receivers and justles a little, hand checks a litlle, gets the receiver off stride or messes with the route timing, on the razor's edge of legality. We saw that from Jackson a couple of plays. On the other hand, he did get called for one defensive holding call. It was off the screen so we couldn't see what he did or didn't do. If he can stay on the right side of the razor's edge a la Sherman, we just might have a winner. Let's see what happens with other officiating crews.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I for one was not that impressed with Gilbert, ever, up until this game. He looked like he knew what he was doing snap-to-snap, and I don't recall him ever showing the suddenness he showed on that one edge rush.

I don't know Reggie Gilbert other than what I see on the field, and I don't mean to disparage him in any way, but lets hope this is not chemically induced as has been the case with a few others in recent years.

He looks like a guy who maybe, just maybe, has made a jump. For now, he's the clear #3.

H

HardRightEdge

Only noticed him on one play where he got the sack - his only tackle. Our OLine was not good last night. Watched him for a couple and he did nothing. Jury is still out. Would not call him a stud for the performance. You could say Fackrell had a better night with a sack and asst tackle for goodness sakes.
Fackrell's sack was in name only. See post #8 above. He looks like the same guy we've seen before. Rangy, undersized for his height, gets pushed around too much, not good holding the edge. Occasional pass rusher when somebody needs a blow, same as before. I think this is a case where Thompson drafted a 24 year old guy who was too close to his max physical maturation to make the necessary jump in that regard.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen the game, but can I say from reading these messages that adding another versatile LB should be a high priority, if not an absolute necessity going into the season? Im happy to see people were satisfied with the performance Burks delivered, yet we still seem somewhat lacking in that department. Did Alexander play at all?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I haven't seen the game, but can I say from reading these messages that adding another versatile LB should be a high priority, if not an absolute necessity going into the season? Im happy to see people were satisfied with the performance Burks delivered, yet we still seem somewhat lacking in that department. Did Alexander play at all?

Alexander is nicked up.

I agree with you that it seems likely that they sign another ILB, at roster cuts if nowhere else. The first backup off the bench was Greer Martini.

Members online

Latest posts