Titans preseason studs/duds

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not get a chance to see the game. But I am thinking that the other team probably sat a lot of their starters also and if our O line (tackles) still sucks against their future cuts ... that sounds pretty bad. And Spriggs not playing until the 3rd quarter probably means he was against even lesser competition. I hope our scouts are spending some time watching other teams preseason games. It sure sounds like there will be some cuts that are better than what we have. I mean I have not read one comment that said our O line held their own.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs

Josh Jackson - wow. Did not look like a raw rookie as can be reasonably expected. Covered very well and did all the little things. Seems to really have a great grasp of the game.

Hundly - made a couple mistakes, but also made some impressive passes and decisions. His deep one to Adams was perfectly thrown. Needs to feel pressure better and react sooner.

Burks - played better than I expected. Had eye popping quickness. Did look instinctive and aggressive, I thought he was more raw and would take time to develop.

MVS - his deep catch was awesome. Shocking how deep he got so quickly. Plays as fast as he times. TD catch was impressive concentration. Thought he was getting some poor passes.

Pettine - defense only had 4 of 11 starters and looked decent. Rookies looked good. So far, so good.

Kumerow. Didnt get good opportunities, but did the best with what he has been given.

Okay

Yancy, Jamaal Williams, and fackrell all looked decent.

Duds

JMon Moore. Had opportunity for 3 great catches - none made. Had another fairly easy long TD in hands and dropped.

Bell OT - hopefully just some rust. Looked stiff and not very quick.

Totally agree. I thought that Jackson played very well for his 1st game.

Another stud for me would be M. Adams. I thought he played hard and actually made a couple of plays up the middle.

I was kind of surprised that Moore did not do better. If memory serves he has had some up and down days in camp.

Was pleased to see St. Brown and MVS play so well.

Dud -Rollins is showing a lot of rust and he better get it together in the next couple of games or he will be moving on.

I agree about House, Pipkins, etc as well. For a while it looked like we only had 1 CB out there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I did not get a chance to see the game. But I am thinking that the other team probably sat a lot of their starters also and if our O line (tackles) still sucks against their future cuts ... that sounds pretty bad. And Spriggs not playing until the 3rd quarter probably means he was against even lesser competition. I hope our scouts are spending some time watching other teams preseason games. It sure sounds like there will be some cuts that are better than what we have. I mean I have not read one comment that said our O line held their own.

I didn’t see the game either, but clearly the OL held up well enough for the passing offense to go nuts.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only noticed him on one play where he got the sack - his only tackle. Our OLine was not good last night. Watched him for a couple and he did nothing. Jury is still out. Would not call him a stud for the performance. You could say Fackrell had a better night with a sack and asst tackle for goodness sakes.

Not a Titans thread but I'll just point ito that Landry rushed the passer 19 times with one sack and one pressure, that's pretty good. I only point this out to show how subjective fans can be some times.

And we need to keep our fingers crossed that the two starting tackles don't miss any time this year.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take issue with that. It was under thrown. Thrown perfectly, Adams walks into the endzone untouched. He had two steps on the defender, had to stop and jump to make the completion.

Hey we should be happy he threw at least somewhat of an accurate deep ball. Last year that ball goes three yards out of bounds.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey we should be happy he threw at least somewhat of an accurate deep ball. Last year that ball goes three yards out of bounds.

Heh, this is true. But that's not the same as perfect.

Perfect to me means "in stride" almost every time, but context is important. Between 2 defenders, low and outside so the TE gets the first down and nothing more? That could be "perfect."

You WR1 streaking down the sideline with steps on the defender? Perfect requires either in-stride or "uncontested touchdown."

H

HardRightEdge

i'm not sure Landry was a stud but rather Murphy is overrated by many.
Who are all these people that overrate Murphy? He's never shown anything other than being just a guy. He's better now than he was as a rookie, as one would expect, but technique development only takes you so far. You can't coach up quick feet. The only reason I can think of that he has not been converted to OG is lack of other options. That he's out there playing LT and bringing in Bell says more about Spriggs than Murphy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who are all these people that overrate Murphy? He's never shown anything other than being just a guy. He's better now than he was as a rookie, as one would expect, but technique development only takes you so far. You can't coach up quick feet. The only reason I can think of that he has not been converted to OG is lack of other options. That he's out there playing LT and bringing in Bell says more about Spriggs than Murphy.

Everywhere he's been compared to Steve Hutchinson, Larry Allen and our own HOF'er Jerry Kramer. what forums have you been on?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If I am the Packers I am starting to look around for options at offensive Tackle depth. Will Murphy, Bell and Spriggs be enough to backup Bahk and Bulaga? All 3 of those guys looked pretty shaky Thursday night. Yes, its early and they should improve, but I don't expect both Bahk and Bulaga to play all 16+ games and I cringe thinking about one or god forbid 2 of those 3 protecting Rodgers while playing against starting caliber guys.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@gopkrs why do I get an “optimistic” for stating a fact?

Just a guess, but 'well enough' and 'go nuts' are, like most everything in the forum, subjective, not facts, and gopkrs already had stated their dissenting opinion. Might add in post #36.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so the first thing I’d like to point out there wasn’t to many injuries on us .. that’s a plus hope j Jones is all good and cleared. I mean it was the first preseason game so we will see how it goes I wanna see Alexander out there Jackson looks promising but the titans receivers aren’t anything close to special. I think our lack at depth in the Lb dept is extremely concerning it’s almost a given that Nick Perry will get hurt he is made of glass.. jmon cmon man like catch the ball.. that was his problem in college kumerow reminds me of Tom Crabtree with that hair and Rodgers loved him.. he can be 2.0 get him the ball lol Kizer hundley are literally the same pretty much i mean let’s be realistic like realistic they both blow and if Rodgers gets hurt for any amount of time our seasons OVA!!! Sorry boys it’s the truth take it for what it’s worth and again IMO

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ok so the first thing I’d like to point out there wasn’t to many injuries on us .. that’s a plus hope j Jones is all good and cleared. I mean it was the first preseason game so we will see how it goes I wanna see Alexander out there Jackson looks promising but the titans receivers aren’t anything close to special. I think our lack at depth in the Lb dept is extremely concerning it’s almost a given that Nick Perry will get hurt he is made of glass.. jmon cmon man like catch the ball.. that was his problem in college kumerow reminds me of Tom Crabtree with that hair and Rodgers loved him.. he can be 2.0 get him the ball lol Kizer hundley are literally the same pretty much i mean let’s be realistic like realistic they both blow and if Rodgers gets hurt for any amount of time our seasons OVA!!! Sorry boys it’s the truth take it for what it’s worth and again IMO

I pretty much agree with all of that. I was also critical of Kizer and the one thing we have to keep in mind, Kizer is basically a first year guy in the Packer system. He probably has more unlearning than learning to do. He is younger than Hundley, who has had the benefit of not only being in the Packer system for 3+ years, but spent most of the 2017 season running it. The conclusion, I don't think we have seen what Kizer has to fully offer yet, whereas Hundley, I think we are just going to get more of what we have seen, flashes of something special, followed by lots of "meh".

If these 2 guys end camp looking pretty similar at the end of preseason, I let Hundley go and keep Kizer to further develop and hope to get Boyle on the PS. I wouldn't be in favor of having a roster position spent on pretty much the same guy at #2 and #3, since as you said, if AR goes down....season is pretty much over anyway.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also consider; I've read that the coaches have made changes to Kizer's mechanics and footwork.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS! I was low on him but if he lights it up every game like this, theres little chance he gets cut.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with all of that. I was also critical of Kizer and the one thing we have to keep in mind, Kizer is basically a first year guy in the Packer system. He probably has more unlearning than learning to do. He is younger than Hundley, who has had the benefit of not only being in the Packer system for 3+ years, but spent most of the 2017 season running it. The conclusion, I don't think we have seen what Kizer has to fully offer yet, whereas Hundley, I think we are just going to get more of what we have seen, flashes of something special, followed by lots of "meh".

If these 2 guys end camp looking pretty similar at the end of preseason, I let Hundley go and keep Kizer to further develop and hope to get Boyle on the PS. I wouldn't be in favor of having a roster position spent on pretty much the same guy at #2 and #3, since as you said, if AR goes down....season is pretty much over anyway.
Oh I know man!! I agree I’m so in depth of following everyone and optimistic about developmental players all that!! I totally agree don’t get me wrong I like hundley good attitude probly a good teammate but but when it comes down to it he absolutely blows lol I’d rather have Kizer even tho he didn’t win a game.. injuries are part of the game but Rodgers is the packers bottom line.. we unfortunately don’t have enough talent to pick him up if he is done and therefore even with him we don’t have it all.. I know it’s not that easy to do something but like draft picks they really should ext Rodgers offer both 1sts and Nick Perry or clay Matthews for Mack... and give him whatever he pleases I mean yeah draft picks are fine but how often do we hit in the first round!? Clark is the only promising one.. but to Matthews if u want me to be brutally honest he even ain’t that good anymore I’d much rather have him than anyone else we have but I would easily trade him and two first for Mack ALL DAY!!! I mean think about it he was good when he was on roids lol our d line is our only strength secondary might be better but I just hope Rodgers stays pissed off and goes off!!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just a guess, but 'well enough' and 'go nuts' are, like most everything in the forum, subjective, not facts, and gopkrs already had stated their dissenting opinion. Might add in post #36.

Ok, the OL played well enough for the passing game to account for 356 yards and 3 touchdowns. There’s a fact.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
  • Kumerow doing Kumerow things. Still playing hard and in the right place at right time.
  • EQ St. Brown made the best of limited action. I actually saw him open a hand full of times across the middle but QBs forced it to MVS.
  • MVS had a great game. Opporunities came and he made the best of them. Great to see him return kicks. Will push Davis out.( maybe?).
  • JK Scott. Great punts. Solidified 5th round pick thus far.
  • I actually thought Kizer looked well, you can see he has pocket presences and felt the pressure to be able to move out of pocket when collapsed. This was the opposite for Hundley. I have to pass judgement on Boyle. Though Boyle had a great game, but i'll wait to see how he does in next game.
  • I thought Gilbert played very well vs the run. Played decent against the pass.
  • Montravius Adams.. dat first step was forreal. No Khyri Thorton first step sh*t lol
Duds
  • O-Line depth.. Y'all already know... :cry:
  • Josh Jackson- Flashed and then there comes the grabbing. we heard it all summer. It showed up in game. Need time to develop man to man coverage.
Lookout
  • Everyone seems high on Burks, yeah he flew around which was great but again like his college tape shows, he was swallowed up by linemen. For someone 233 lbs he looked way smaller than Ahmad Thomas (who is listed as 220). Thomas seems to be bigger than what is listed. I thought Thomas looked great taking on blocks and against the pass.
  • Martini special teams ace.
  • Bouagnon- most active RB this game but will need to blow us away to have a chance to stick. Did well this first preseason game. I actually rather have Bouagnon than Devante Mays at this point.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs: There's evident trouble in Spriggs City. I didn't notice him on the field until pretty late in the game with 3rd. stringers. I didn't notice him doing anything particularly good or bad, and maybe McCarthy's OK with him and for this game wanted to get a good look at Bell to decide if he's worth keeping, but that's probably wishful thinking. Spriggs is not deep on experience and could use the work, so not getting it against the better competition does not bode well. More looks are needed to confirm this preliminary impression.
There was some personal off field issues that happened to Spriggs. Thats why Bell started over Spriggs.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^someone who I forgot to include was Whitehead. One play he flew straight to the QB who was trying to run outside. He flew slideline to slideline. Man he looked fast... Hope his ack injury wasn't serious.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Studs:
  • Kumerow doing Kumerow things. Still playing hard and in the right place at right time.
  • EQ St. Brown made the best of limited action. I actually saw him open a hand full of times across the middle but QBs forced it to MVS.
  • MVS had a great game. Opporunities came and he made the best of them. Great to see him return kicks. Will push Davis out.( maybe?).
  • JK Scott. Great punts. Solidified 5th round pick thus far.
  • I actually thought Kizer looked well, you can see he has pocket presences and felt the pressure to be able to move out of pocket when collapsed. This was the opposite for Hundley. I have to pass judgement on Boyle. Though Boyle had a great game, but i'll wait to see how he does in next game.
  • I thought Gilbert played very well vs the run. Played decent against the pass.
  • Montravius Adams.. dat first step was forreal. No Khyri Thorton first step sh*t lol
Duds
  • O-Line depth.. Y'all already know... :cry:
  • Josh Jackson- Flashed and then there comes the grabbing. we heard it all summer. It showed up in game. Need time to develop man to man coverage.
Lookout
  • Everyone seems high on Burks, yeah he flew around which was great but again like his college tape shows, he was swallowed up by linemen. For someone 233 lbs he looked way smaller than Ahmad Thomas (who is listed as 220). Thomas seems to be bigger than what is listed. I thought Thomas looked great taking on blocks and against the pass.
  • Martini special teams ace.
  • Bouagnon- most active RB this game but will need to blow us away to have a chance to stick. Did well this first preseason game. I actually rather have Bouagnon than Devante Mays at this point.

Burks is never going to be able to stack and shed. That won’t be his skill set. Neither is it Deion Jones’. If he can use his speed to make plays and avoid blocks while being an asset in coverage, he will be valuable.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burks is never going to be able to stack and shed. That won’t be his skill set. Neither is it Deion Jones’. If he can use his speed to make plays and avoid blocks while being an asset in coverage, he will be valuable.
First, he's no Deion Jones though. Second, linebackers are suppose to be able to take on blocks and shed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also consider; I've read that the coaches have made changes to Kizer's mechanics and footwork.
Yup, Kizer has some unlearning to do, before he can keep progressing forward. I think the Packers saw something they really liked in him. Given that he just turned 22 in January and despite all his reps in Cleveland, I kind of view him as a rookie QB that very well could turn into something much better than he is now, in a few years. Win games for the Packers this year? Probably not.

Latest posts