Ties need to go away in football

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know and most of us, including me have made humorous attempts at how to resolve OT and fall into those "whacky wonky scenarios". You sounded serious when you said "only play the backups". ;)

The current system, for as much as I don't like it, at least keeps play normal. It isn't looking at stats, kickers being the best, coaches sprinting, best hair, etc. its still playing the game of football, with a way to end it.

I've always been in favor of just playing another quarter and whoever is ahead at the end wins, nobody? A tie. But I can see where that doesn't work with Networks schedules and could be asking too much out of players. I'm sure if you had asked the Packer players if they would have wanted to go another 5 minutes on Sunday, they all would have said "hell yes".
I wasn't the one who suggested to use the back ups, bot to prevent injury and with fresh players, I don't think it's a bad idea.
Let's see how the 2nd string QBs do for each team?

You and another poster brought up the idea that they are probably doing it this way because of TV schedules etc.
I dunno.
When they had it at 15 min. before, like back in the 70's, 80's and even 90's, were networks showing back to back games?
In any case, OT does not happen that often to begin with so I don't see the issue here regarding TV schedules.
The games on cable or not are regional anyway.
The majority of Pack fans will be in Wisconsin so it won't matter to us if we miss some of the first minutes of the next game.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't the one who suggested to use the back ups, bot to prevent injury and with fresh players, I don't think it's a bad idea.

You and another poster brought up the idea that they are probably doing it this way because of TV schedules etc.
I dunno.
When they had it at 15 min. before, like back in the 70's, 80's and even 90's, were networks showing back to back games?
In any case, OT does not happen that often to begin with so I don't see the issue here regarding TV schedules.
The games on cable or not are regional anyway.
The majority of Pack fans will be in Wisconsin so it won't matter to us if we miss some of the first minutes of the next game.

So the Patriots and the Packers, lets say Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, two of the best to ever play QB, fight it out to a 35-35 tie after 60 minutes of some of the best offensive football we have ever seen and you think its a good idea to say OK lets bring in DeShone Kizer and Brian Hoyer to see which team is better. Yeah, that's a good idea.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No offense to you or the original poster of this idea, but it would be about the same as having a Prize fight go to 12 rounds and then because its tied up, the ring girls come in and duke it out to determine the winner. Ask Aaron Rodgers how he feels about the idea, I think you already know his answer.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense to you or the original poster of this idea, but it would be about the same as having a Prize fight go to 12 rounds and then because its tied up, the ring girls come in and duke it out to determine the winner. Ask Aaron Rodgers how he feels about the idea, I think you already know his answer.
What kind of red blooded American male are you who wouldn't love to watch a good cat fight?
Hisssss! Rower!
:D

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Patriots and the Packers, lets say Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, two of the best to ever play QB, fight it out to a 35-35 tie after 60 minutes of some of the best offensive football we have ever seen and you think its a good idea to say OK lets bring in DeShone Kizer and Brian Hoyer to see which team is better. Yeah, that's a good idea.
Anything goes for suggestions in this thread my friend.

And to make things even more interesting, they gotta play with a Nerf ball which will of course kill Brady since he doesn't get to play with it.
:sneaky:

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sure if you had asked the Packer players if they would have wanted to go another 5 minutes on Sunday, they all would have said "hell yes".

I'm not convinced about that as the Vikings might have gone for and scored a touchdown on their last drive in overtime if there would have been another five minutes on the clock.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not convinced about that as the Vikings might have gone for and scored a touchdown on their last drive in overtime if there would have been another five minutes on the clock.
I guess in my head, I'm thinking of that question being asked after the missed FG ;) However, I do wonder what the players themselves think about how ties should be settled.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know, You may be onto something with this one. Only I'd say lets let the ring girls go for the first 12 rounds too.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned with your obsession of ******** clad women involved in violent athletic endeavors or not...Oh who am I kidding its a great idea.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess in my head, I'm thinking of that question being asked after the missed FG ;) However, I do wonder what the players themselves think about how ties should be settled.

Ties should be settled hanging neatly on a tie rack or hanging in your closet and not thrown willy nilly into a drawer somewhere where severe wrinkling may occur. Of course what the heck do I know I only own two ties and one is a clip on and I can't find the other one. It's probably in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know, You may be onto something with this one. Only I'd say lets let the ring girls go for the first 12 rounds too.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned with your obsession of ******** clad women involved in violent athletic endeavors or not...Oh who am I kidding its a great idea.

What can I say....when you are faced with extreme frustration about something you love (Packer Football), you either reach for the bottle or the woman.....I choose the latter. :)

H

HardRightEdge

I'd endorse the college tie breaker for the pros, except with the ball placed at the 20 instead of the 25. To the red zone TDs go the spoils.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd endorse the college tie breaker for the pros, except with the ball placed at the 20 instead of the 25. To the red zone TDs go the spoils.

I don't like the overtime rules in college at all, would prefer the NFL not to play OT at all during the regular season instead.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What can I say....when you are faced with extreme frustration about something you love (Packer Football), you either reach for the bottle or the woman.....I choose the latter. :)

At least you are not one of those unfortunate ones who need the woman to reach for the bottle first.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Back to the OP:
I think it has gone away.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

as opposed to

and one that would look just out of place in a tie:

Do you know how many I had to search through to find one that wasn't of the hoodie?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I guess if you play a whole game and are tied at the end of it. And you gotta have a winner. And anyone can win in overtime. Just flip a coin. Yes, I am for just leaving it a tie. Cause that is what it was.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
My suggestion, in overtime teams will start at the opposing teams 30 yard line, each team gets 3 downs instead of 4, no time outs because no game clock will run, each side on their first drive gets a chance to score, after that first TD wins no field goals...thoughts

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not even looking to change anything. Nothing is made better, just different