Ties need to go away in football

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's frustrating.
It's like your first kiss with your sister.
You scored and yet you didn't. Not exactly bragging rights.
This is the only sport I can think of or know about that can end in a tie.
They need to change the rules and to stop this BS.
This is our second tie game ender in just a few years.
Are we the only team with this "honor?"
At this point I'd even be willing to settle for a FG kicking contest to break this bad habit of tie games.
Or maybe send two guys to meet in the middle for a game of tic tac toe, checkers an arm wrestling contest of the best of 2 out of 3, tug of war over a mud puddle.
Anything!

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's frustrating.
At this point I'd even be willing to settle for a FG kicking contest to break this bad habit of tie games.
Or maybe send two guys to meet in the middle for a game of tic tac toe, checkers an arm wrestling contest of the best of 2 out of 3, tug of war over a mud puddle.
Anything!
The NFL remains the only major pro or college sport in America that not only accepts ties, but actually changed two rules which has induced even MORE of them.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Make both head coaches run wind-sprints until one of them falls over.:)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's frustrating.
Anything!

I agree that ties are disappointing but I don't see a problem with them. You played the required 60 minutes and neither team scored more points than the other so you play another 10. Still neither team scores more points. Time to call it a day and get ready for next week.

You specified your first kiss with your sister. I'm wondering, is your second kiss with your sister any different? :D

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL remains the only major pro or college sport in America that not only accepts ties, but actually changed two rules which has induced even MORE of them.
It used to be so dramatic with "SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME" (Said in a deep football films voiceover.)
Now it's just, "You boys play nice for 10 minutes and if it's a tie, whatever! We don't care." (Said in a Jerry Lewis wimpy voiceover.)

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that ties are disappointing but I don't see a problem with them. You played the required 60 minutes and neither team scored more points than the other so you play another 10. Still neither team scores more points. Time to call it a day and get ready for next week.

You specified your first kiss with your sister. I'm wondering, is your second kiss with your sister any different? :D
Tongues my man. Tongues.
And the third one?
That leads us to wonder why junior is a bit slower than the other kids.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't like ties in football either but have you ever heard of soccer??? A lot of games end in a tie in the world's most popular sport.

Aside of the Packers and the Vikings (of course, we played them to a 26-26 five years ago) the Bengals are the only other team to have two ties since 2013.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's frustrating.
Anything!

Football(soccer), rugby league, rugby union, aussie rules, to name just a few are able to end in a draw(tie), can basketball end in a tie? can't ice hockey end in a tie after ot?

only America is set up for most sports to make sure there is always a winner at the end of a game, which is why i think you find it difficult when it happens, because it just doesn't happen often

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like ties in football either but have you ever heard of soccer??? A lot of games end in a tie in the world's most popular sport.

Aside of the Packers and the Vikings (of course, we played them to a 26-26 five years ago) the Bengals are the only other team to have two ties since 2013.
That's because nobody scores in soccer.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most major hockey leagues have implemented a shoot out to decide a winner if overtime ends scoreless during the regular season.

That doesn't change the fact that a lot of soccer games end in ties.

cheers for clarifying that for me, I've not watched NHL since CUJO was still at the leafs

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then again, most hockey fans abhor the shootout as a gimmick.

Fans may hate overtime, as do I, but I think that the owners/league and network probably stand to lose money if they do away with ties. It's no guarantee, but likely if you get rid of ties that means longer games when they go into overtime. That means that owners have to pay all of their hourly workers more. NFL is one of the few sports that stacks its games back-to-back. The longer a game goes trying to decide a tie, the longer the network can't show the next game. I'm sure that if I sat around long enough, drinking enough beer, I could come up with a list of reasons that the NFL doesn't want to get rid of ties - or more specifically, wants games to end in a pre-determined length of time.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have an idea

If the game ends in a tie after 10 minutes, have a hail Mary shootout from the 50 Hardline.

5 attempts each team, teams rotate back and forth just like soccer and hockey. Whichever team has the most completed hail Marys after that wins. And if you don't want to jeopardize player safety, have a no rushing the QB situation because he's not allowed to step over the 50 anyway.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clearly none of you have hot sisters who are great kissers.

I dont see any problem with a tie. It is even the name of a Male garment that is only brought out for extra nice occasions, when you want to impress people. Additionally, most other sports are not as rough as football and extending games indefinitely like a sissy baseball player isnt an option. I do like the college fake little football game option though.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should get take the offensive yards as tiebreaker.

OT should be like this:

Both teams get 1 turn on the ball. Whoever gets the FG wins, if both teams get the FG, then which team has the most offensive yards win the game.

Team A moves the ball to opponent's 10 yard line and then scores a FG.
Team B gets the ball and they have to score a FG and move to less than 10 yards.

Both team can score a FG and have the same offensive yards, but that's a statistical exception. Just toss a coin.

CaptainCanuck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clearly none of you have hot sisters who are great kissers.

I dont see any problem with a tie. It is even the name of a Male garment that is only brought out for extra nice occasions, when you want to impress people. Additionally, most other sports are not as rough as football and extending games indefinitely like a sissy baseball player isnt an option. I dont like the college fake little football game option either.

Hockey is a pretty rough sport and the NHL never ends in a tie

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make both head coaches run wind-sprints until one of them falls over.:)

You realize if this happened we would lose to every team except maybe the Chiefs. So no thanks!:laugh:

Most major hockey leagues have implemented a shoot out to decide a winner if overtime ends scoreless during the regular season.

The shootout is a terrible way of deciding games, in fact, you aren't even playing the game. That's like having baseball decide ties on a HR derby or a 3-point contest in the NBA. Closest thing I'd relate it to in football is just a kicking contest.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Didn't we discuss this last year and the year before and the one before that one and we always end up .....in a tie with no clear cut winner?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should start all possessions at the 40 yard line in OT. One of the teams has to be good enough to get 25 yards to get into FG range.

After 15 minutes, then have a 2-point conversion shootout. Five 2-point conversion attempts and whoever converts more wins.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts