Ties need to go away in football

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 'kissing your sister' needs to go away when people talk about ties because ties are nothing like kissing your sister (not that I have any experience with that as I don't have a sister!!!)

But when you add the fact that the team that gets the ball 2nd can tie it with a field goal, that increases the likelihood even more of a tie. The 10 minute rule is retarded.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Why even have them play in OT? Just review all the controversial plays that happened during the game and whoever got screwed by the refs the most, are declared the winners! :coffee:

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of but only for our division.

This could still come back and bite other NFC teams in the *** as we whilst we don’t have an extra W, but ourselves and the pukes don’t have a L.

If that makes sense.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have an idea

If the game ends in a tie after 10 minutes, have a hail Mary shootout from the 50 Hardline.

5 attempts each team, teams rotate back and forth just like soccer and hockey. Whichever team has the most completed hail Marys after that wins. And if you don't want to jeopardize player safety, have a no rushing the QB situation because he's not allowed to step over the 50 anyway.

They should start all possessions at the 40 yard line in OT. One of the teams has to be good enough to get 25 yards to get into FG range.

After 15 minutes, then have a 2-point conversion shootout. Five 2-point conversion attempts and whoever converts more wins.

I like it that you boys are adding to the conversation with tie breaker option ideas.
But what if both teams complete the same numbers of hail Mary's or 2 point conversions or none at all?

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 'kissing your sister' needs to go away when people talk about ties because ties are nothing like kissing your sister (not that I have any experience with that as I don't have a sister!!!)

But when you add the fact that the team that gets the ball 2nd can tie it with a field goal, that increases the likelihood even more of a tie. The 10 minute rule is retarded.
Well, I was going to post something about me and your mom last night but I thought that would have been very inappropriate so I went with the sister angle instead.

I agree with you about the 10 min. rule.
That doesn't help.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like ties in football either but have you ever heard of soccer??? A lot of games end in a tie in the world's most popular sport.

Aside of the Packers and the Vikings (of course, we played them to a 26-26 five years ago) the Bengals are the only other team to have two ties since 2013.
Soccer? Oh you mean football! Yes, I've heard of football. ;)

Anyway, they have a penalty kick shootout if the game ends in a tie. Their version of OT, right?
So those can also end in a tie?
I always thought they kept going till one team/player got it in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, I was going to post something about me and your mom last night but I thought that would have been very inappropriate so I went with the sister angle instead.

That doesn't help.

Wait, his Mom and sister have a 10 minute rule? I must have missed something. :geek:

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Handwritten sign held up by a fan at the Brewers game seen on TV the next day on Mon:
There is no tying in baseball!!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tie goes to the team with the most yds. Would add a dimension if you were on the final drive and you were going to be short 18 yds if you get the TD, you would purposely do 2 holding penalties to get an extra 20 yds.

Not serious. That would suck.

Nothing wrong with leaving it a tie and saying both teams were equals on this particular day.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tie goes to the team with the most yds. Would add a dimension if you were on the final drive and you were going to be short 18 yds if you get the TD, you would purposely do 2 holding penalties to get an extra 20 yds.

Not serious. That would suck.

Nothing wrong with leaving it a tie and saying both teams were equals on this particular day.
It was time for some sweet revenge after what the Vikes did to A-Rod and to us last time he played them.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That doesn't help.

Well that was inappropriate :(

D

Deleted member 6794

I did say "most" other sports. Hockey is very brutal, maybe more than football lately. But they dont have a continuous OT and win is determined by a shootout.

That's solely true for the regular season. In the playoffs hockey games uses sudden death until one team scores.

Sooooooo this tie is like playing only 15 games instead of 16, right?

It's probably best to consider a tie 0.5 wins.

Soccer? Oh you mean football! Yes, I've heard of football. ;)

Anyway, they have a penalty kick shootout if the game ends in a tie. Their version of OT, right?
So those can also end in a tie?
I always thought they kept going till one team/player got it in.

Penalty shootouts in soccer only occur during elimination games. In regular league play games that are tied after the end of regulation end that way. As an example, 99 out of 380 games (26.1%) in last season's English Premier League finished in a draw.

You have to consider that in soccer teams are awarded three points for a win while only receiving a single one for a tie though.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think ties in professional sports are despicable, but with the current NFL rules I can tolerate a rare tie. Football is a very physical sport with a high risk of injury and letting games play out for multiple overtime periods until a winner is decided is idiotic (with the current rules).

1 suggestion is: If the game is tied after 1 overtime period, the game will continue indefinitely until someone scores but no "starters" will be able to play.

Another suggestion: If the game is tied after 1 overtime period, there will be a FG competition between both kickers. Start at the 20 and move back 5 yards after each successful kick (maximum 50 yards). The game ends once a kicker makes a FG after the opposing kicker misses.

Yet another suggestion (my preference): No punting will be allowed and teams will be forced to either go for it on 4th or attempt a FG. If the first team with the ball turns it over on downs or kicks a FG, the opposing team gets a possession and wins if they kick a FG (if opponent missed) or score a TD. If the first team scores a touchdown (6 or 7 points), the opposing team gets a possession and wins if they score a TD with a higher point value than the opponent. Example of my last point...let's say team 1 scores 6 on a TD on first possession...team 2 wins with a 7 point TD. If team 1 scored 7 on a first possession TD, team 2 wins on an 8 point TD. If team 1 scored 8 points on a first possession TD, game over.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
1 suggestion is: If the game is tied after 1 overtime period, the game will continue indefinitely until someone scores but no "starters" will be able to play.

Another suggestion: If the game is tied after 1 overtime period, there will be a FG competition between both kickers. Start at the 20 and move back 5 yards after each successful kick (maximum 50 yards). The game ends once a kicker makes a FG after the opposing kicker misses.

Yet another suggestion (my preference): No punting will be allowed and teams will be forced to either go for it on 4th or attempt a FG. If the first team with the ball turns it over on downs or kicks a FG, the opposing team gets a possession and wins if they kick a FG (if opponent missed) or score a TD. If the first team scores a touchdown (6 or 7 points), the opposing team gets a possession and wins if they score a TD with a higher point value than the opponent. Example of my last point...let's say team 1 scores 6 on a TD on first possession...team 2 wins with a 7 point TD. If team 1 scored 7 on a first possession TD, team 2 wins on an 8 point TD. If team 1 scored 8 points on a first possession TD, game over.

With all due respect, very little of what you are suggesting represents how the game is played for the first 4 quarters. So why completely bastardize that particular game by trying to decide it with things that aren't how they got to being tied at the end of the 4 quarters.

IMO, you keep playing the game as it has been played, with only modifications to the time played or you just call it a tie.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think it should be a tie after the 4th quarter.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should have won but were very lucky to get the tie. With the tie we are even with Minnesota at the top of the North. With a loss we'd be tied with the Bears for second. I'll take the tie.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all due respect, very little of what you are suggesting represents how the game is played for the first 4 quarters. So why completely bastardize that particular game by trying to decide it with things that aren't how they got to being tied at the end of the 4 quarters.

IMO, you keep playing the game as it has been played, with only modifications to the time played or you just call it a tie.
The way they currently do it is not reflective of the first 4 Qs either.
So why not have other suggestions that can be as wacky and wonky as they can be?

Frankly, I think they should just go back to how it used to be.
A 15 min. Sudden Death OT where when the first team scores they win.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I honestly don't know why they keep on changing it.
It makes no sense as to how it is or how they came up with that one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The way they currently do it is not reflective of the first 4 Qs either.
So why not have other suggestions that can be as wacky and wonky as they can be?

Frankly, I think they should just go back to how it used to be.
A 15 min. Sudden Death OT where when the first team scores they win.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I honestly don't know why they keep on changing it.
It makes no sense as to how it is or how they came up with that one.

I know and most of us, including me have made humorous attempts at how to resolve OT and fall into those "whacky wonky scenarios". You sounded serious when you said "only play the backups". ;)

The current system, for as much as I don't like it, at least keeps play normal. It isn't looking at stats, kickers being the best, coaches sprinting, best hair, etc. its still playing the game of football, with a way to end it.

I've always been in favor of just playing another quarter and whoever is ahead at the end wins, nobody? A tie. But I can see where that doesn't work with Networks schedules and could be asking too much out of players. I'm sure if you had asked the Packer players if they would have wanted to go another 5 minutes on Sunday, they all would have said "hell yes".

Staff online

Latest posts