This season

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't say they should. But one doesn't need to hope for them not to make the playoffs to hope for changes that will improve the team. (Which the 2 biggest drums that people beat on are improved use of free agency and Capers moving on)

On the other hand, they've made the playoffs every year and haven't come close to either of the big drums. Coincidence? :)

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It all comes down to individuals perspectives. Some believe that without a SB win the season is a waste. Some like myself are grateful for a respectful team performance like still having a shot at winning the division and a playoff spot. I by no means am deluded that the Packers are the best team in the league. It would be great to get a playoff game win or lose just to extend the season an extra week or two. Just be glad you are a fan of a contending team !

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It all comes down to individuals perspectives. Some believe that without a SB win the season is a waste. Some like myself are grateful for a respectful team performance like still having a shot at winning the division and a playoff spot. I by no means am deluded that the Packers are the best team in the league. It would be great to get a playoff game win or lose just to extend the season an extra week or two. Just be glad you are a fan of a contending team !
You have to have this mindset as a fan.

Even the Patriots, who have won 4 super bowls in the past 16 years only do it at a 25% clip. You have to be able to have an appreciation for a team that is able to put themselves in a position to win it consistently, and that's by making the playoffs. Because once you do that, anything can happen.

Imagine the pain of teams like Oakland or Tennessee the past decade or so.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always find it amazing how in 1996 both Carolina and Jacksonville made it to their conference championship game in only their second seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

I always find it amazing how in 1996 both Carolina and Jacksonville made it to their conference championship game in only their second seasons.

The way the expansion draft was set up at that time allowed both teams to enter the league with a pretty talented team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Imagine yourself a Panther, Cardinal or Bengal fan this year. 3 teams that had Super Bowl aspirations last year and this year all 3 have laid an egg.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Even the Patriots, who have won 4 super bowls in the past 16 years only do it at a 25% clip. You have to be able to have an appreciation for a team that is able to put themselves in a position to win it consistently, and that's by making the playoffs. Because once you do that, anything can happen.

No, you don't. Every year in which they begin with a a very reasonable chance of a championship and don't do it is a major blow to me, and I've been a fan since pre-Lombardi. The Gory Years didn't bother me, as expectations were severally muted going into the season, so 'their Super Bowl' came down to knocking a rival out of the playoffs, winning a game in which they were heavy underdogs, to the like.

You're certainly welcome to your mindset, just don't tell me what mine has to be.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
No, you don't. Every year in which they begin with a a very reasonable chance of a championship and don't do it is a major blow to me, and I've been a fan since pre-Lombardi. The Gory Years didn't bother me, as expectations were severally muted going into the season, so 'their Super Bowl' came down to knocking a rival out of the playoffs, winning a game in which they were heavy underdogs, to the like.

You're certainly welcome to your mindset, just don't tell me what mine has to be.
That's fair, I didn't mean it literally, but I get what you are saying.

For me, I learned a long time ago that I was taking some of the losses in playoff games a little too hard. I guess that's the point I was getting at. And with that being the case, knowing that you aren't going to win it all every year, I had to get far more realistic with my expectations of this team, and other sports teams that I follow. I had to understand that tough losses and heart breaks are a part of it. Some are tougher than others, especially what's happened over the past 2 seasons here.

But when you look at what this team has accomplished, making the playoffs 7 consecutive seasons and winning a Super Bowl, there's not but a franchise or two out there that wouldn't trade that for what they have done over the same amount of time.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can certainly understand your disappointments. I expected the same in 95 and 97. However, the present Packer team is not as dominating for me to have those expectations now. Good, but not dominating.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No you don't. Oakland and Tennesse haven't had the best QB in the NFL. The Packers have. There is a much different set of expectations for a team with the best QB in the NFL. You mention the Pats and they've been to, what six Super Bowls over that timeframe and how many conference championship games? Yet I would say that the Packers have had the better QB for a good portion of that timeframe.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can certainly understand your disappointments. I expected the same in 95 and 97. However, the present Packer team is not as dominating for me to have those expectations now. Good, but not dominating.

This, and PackAttack immediately before, caught me really off-guard. My stance usually results in the standard 'you cant't be a real fan' or 'nobody wins it every year' type of thing. These were very measured responses that tend to reinforce that point that it's all about personal feelings - you have yours, I have mine, let's march on from there.

I feel as you do that the Denver SB was crushing. Not only was the Pack a big favorite, but think of the bragging rights of a 5-0 SB record vs 4-1 (disclaimer, I completely understand that it still puts them way nearer the top than way, way more teams, but the Pack is MY team, and I want/expect/hope for them to on THE top).

More recently, 2011 and 2014 would have left indelible scars on my sports psyche, had I not adapted my current outlook.

Anyhow, kudos for some well-reasoned responses.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
No you don't. Oakland and Tennesse haven't had the best QB in the NFL. The Packers have. There is a much different set of expectations for a team with the best QB in the NFL. You mention the Pats and they've been to, what six Super Bowls over that timeframe and how many conference championship games? Yet I would say that the Packers have had the better QB for a good portion of that timeframe.
I totally get that, but the reality of the situation is that we have always had a suspect defense, running game, set of skill guys, etc. I understand that Rodgers is Rodgers, trust me you will find no bigger fan of his than mine I can assure you, but he just doesn't have much around him. It's tough enough for the Patriots to win it every year. And even in their case since 2007, it has taken the greatest coach of all time, arguably the best quarterback ever, certainly the most accomplished, Randy Moss level receiver in '07, Gronk the past 5 years. It's taken supreme talent and coaching to put the Patriots in that position, along with good running games and good defenses.

I honestly don't think that you and I, or anyone else for that matter are really disagreeing about anything once it really gets down to it. I certainly think that this team should have accomplished more over the past several years, but when we have had the crap supporting casts around Rodgers, it makes things challenging.

What really bothers me is wasting this great opportunity that we have with a quarterback that I feel is the greatest overall talent to ever play the position with subpar drafts, no aggression in free agency to acquire elite talent, and complacency in areas that need improvement i.e. Capers and the defense.

Until we see improvements in these areas, I'll will root like hell for my team to win it all, but I will exercise a sense of acceptance in years where the team falls short, due to the obvious flaws our team possesses.

Now this year, I think we can win it all, because IMO there is really no super team out there. Dallas will fold like always, and other than them, there are deeply flawed teams in the NFC, none of which I categorize as elite. Brady doesn't have Gronk, Peyton retired, etc. The perfect year for a team like Green Bay to catch fire and carry that fire and momentum all the way to the Super Bowl.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The theme to this year's Macy's Thankgiving Parade was 'Believe.' I too believe that we will go to the Superbowl. Hey, the chances of us going to the SB is probably compared to a kid seeing Santa and Rudolf eating cookies around the fireplace

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who on this team, to you, seems content with just winning enough games to make the playoffs? **** that ********. You saw a team this year gut thru bad turn of events after bad turn, and still come out swinging with a chance to make the post season again, a few weeks after much of the forum was already on to draft picks in April.

The only attitude that sucks is of half the posters. Not able to separate disappointment in not winning it all, from being able to enjoy the battles won week to week and what it takes to get there.

Thanks for the reminder, Mondio. Sometimes I get caught up in the minutia and not looking at the big picture. To be honest the way they lost those 4 I was guilty of saying let's just get this over-with. However, they have hung in there and are playing there butts off. It does get frustrating to see them play so well one game and not so much the next. The Chicago game 4th quarter is an example of what frustrates me. How in the world can a defense allow anyone back into a game?:mad: At times I can understand others' frustrations.

They don't have to win it all...although it would be great. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

However, the present Packer team is not as dominating for me to have those expectations now. Good, but not dominating.

That shouldn´t be the case when having the best quarterback in the league.

I totally get that, but the reality of the situation is that we have always had a suspect defense, running game, set of skill guys, etc. I understand that Rodgers is Rodgers, trust me you will find no bigger fan of his than mine I can assure you, but he just doesn't have much around him. It's tough enough for the Patriots to win it every year. And even in their case since 2007, it has taken the greatest coach of all time, arguably the best quarterback ever, certainly the most accomplished, Randy Moss level receiver in '07, Gronk the past 5 years. It's taken supreme talent and coaching to put the Patriots in that position, along with good running games and good defenses.

I honestly don't think that you and I, or anyone else for that matter are really disagreeing about anything once it really gets down to it. I certainly think that this team should have accomplished more over the past several years, but when we have had the crap supporting casts around Rodgers, it makes things challenging.

What really bothers me is wasting this great opportunity that we have with a quarterback that I feel is the greatest overall talent to ever play the position with subpar drafts, no aggression in free agency to acquire elite talent, and complacency in areas that need improvement i.e. Capers and the defense.

The lack of talent around Rodgers is solely on Thompson and therefore he should be criticized.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lack of talent around Rodgers is solely on Thompson and therefore he should be criticized.

I agree on the defensive side of the ball for sure but when healthy was there a lack of talent on the offensive side. Or was it more a mismanagement of the talent.

Montgomery is quite talented but for some reason the offense could not figure out how to use him.

The passing game has took a huge jump as the patterns have not simply been go routes. Adams has shown up, jordy is still a top wr in the league. Cobb has disappointed some. But there is definitely talent at wr. Probably need one more.

At te Cook has provided what we hoped he just needs to stay healthy. Rodgers is not good.

Lacy got hurt but is talented. Montgomery has a lot of talent. Starks will be out of the league soon.

The oline is solid. Bahk will be a pro bowler for a long time in my mind. Lang is one of the best guards. Bulaga has had a really good year.

We need a healthy back, one more wr, and cook to be healthy but I don't see a lack of talent. I sure saw a lack of utilizing talent

OP
OP
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I am proud to say that after Sundays game I had an epiphany and got more cheerful and optimistic. I even viewed movies I was watching with more optimism. Yes I thought, that ******** clad young lady WILL get her washing machine fixed by the plumber with his sandwiches stuffed down his front pocket. Yes, those five mechanics working in that garage WILL repair the car of those three cheerleaders !!
LIFE is good again !! Yay !

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you're splitting hairs. The difference in skill talent between Brady and Rodgers is small. Brady has terrific intangibles. I think he's proven that over the course of his career.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am proud to say that after Sundays game I had an epiphany and got more cheerful and optimistic. I even viewed movies I was watching with more optimism. Yes I thought, that ******** clad young lady WILL get her washing machine fixed by the plumber with his sandwiches stuffed down his front pocket. Yes, those five mechanics working in that garage WILL repair the car of those three cheerleaders !!
and even if the washing machine is still broken, or they don't get their care repaired, It's as the old saying goes, "sometimes, you get what you need" So they still win. It's all perspective :)

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you're splitting hairs. The difference in skill talent between Brady and Rodgers is small. Brady has terrific intangibles. I think he's proven that over the course of his career.

It´s most likely true that the difference in skill level between Rodgers and Brady is small. Unfortunately the Patriots have had way more success with a future Hall of Fame quarterback than the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Sounds like Buggy is watching ****! :laugh: