This season

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're splitting hairs. The difference in skill talent between Brady and Rodgers is small. Brady has terrific intangibles. I think he's proven that over the course of his career.

I'm not sure what hairs i was splitting. I said that expectations should be different for a team with Aaron Rodgers than for a team with Marcus Mariotta. I then pointed out that the Patriots have been a far more successful team with a slightly lesser QB. You say "intangibles" for Brady but what you really mean is "Brady gets credit for things he had nothing to do with"; e.g., Pete Carroll deciding to throw the ball instead of handing it off to Lynch, or Brady getting the benefit of a rule that was changed the very next year (tuck rule). Not real sure why Brady gets credit for those but he does. Disclaimer: Brady is an excellent QB but gets a ton of credit for things he had nothing to do with. Also, discussing Brady is COMPLETELY besides the point which is that the Packers expectations should be as high as the Patriots, not as high as the Titans.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^
|
|

I think it's funny when someone like Buggy revives this thread in jest, but old arguments pick right back up without skipping a beat.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what hairs i was splitting. I said that expectations should be different for a team with Aaron Rodgers than for a team with Marcus Mariotta. I then pointed out that the Patriots have been a far more successful team with a slightly lesser QB. You say "intangibles" for Brady but what you really mean is "Brady gets credit for things he had nothing to do with"; e.g., Pete Carroll deciding to throw the ball instead of handing it off to Lynch, or Brady getting the benefit of a rule that was changed the very next year (tuck rule). Not real sure why Brady gets credit for those but he does. Disclaimer: Brady is an excellent QB but gets a ton of credit for things he had nothing to do with. Also, discussing Brady is COMPLETELY besides the point which is that the Packers expectations should be as high as the Patriots, not as high as the Titans.
I agree. The Patriots have done better in reaching and exceeding expectations in the past. Just like the Packers did in the 60's compared to the Colts. Most thought Unitas was superior to Starr. The Colts had a lot of talent on the roster and a HOF coach as well. Stuff happens sometimes and you end up playing #41 as your QB. The NFL is a tough place.

Sky King

Reaction score
When the season has ended would a fan ultimately want their QB to have won another MVP award, or would they rather see their team win the championship (with a QB that's good enough to do so)? Without question I know which of the two I prefer.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. The Patriots have done better in reaching and exceeding expectations in the past. Just like the Packers did in the 60's compared to the Colts. Most thought Unitas was superior to Starr. The Colts had a lot of talent on the roster and a HOF coach as well. Stuff happens sometimes and you end up playing #41 as your QB. The NFL is a tough place.
Patriots first 3 superbowls were opposing kicker missed a easy kick to tie them.... the Brady rule where the raiders beat them before they ever made the superbowl..... And then what the heck was it? I cant remember but it wasn't brady who won the 3rd game.... All 3 superbowls won by 3 points each. 4th by 4pts and basicly won by the defense on the last play.

Brady is literally a few plays away from having 5 superbowl losses and the biggest loser of all time. and he cheated on that last superbowl. Even if it is BS, im going to say it was cheating because I don't like him. lol

D

Deleted member 6794

Patriots first 3 superbowls were opposing kicker missed a easy kick to tie them....

Don´t make up any facts to prove your point. The only missed field goal against the Patriots during their first three Super Bowl wins was the Rams´ Jeff Wilkins missing from 52 yards. Actually Vinatieri missed two FGs vs. the Panthers two years later.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriots first 3 superbowls were opposing kicker missed a easy kick to tie them.... the Brady rule where the raiders beat them before they ever made the superbowl..... And then what the heck was it? I cant remember but it wasn't brady who won the 3rd game.... All 3 superbowls won by 3 points each. 4th by 4pts and basicly won by the defense on the last play.

Brady is literally a few plays away from having 5 superbowl losses and the biggest loser of all time. and he cheated on that last superbowl. Even if it is BS, im going to say it was cheating because I don't like him. lol

Left out the two losses to the Giants on catches that were not to be believed. Do like the highlight, though - at least you're man enough to admit it. :)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Brady is the most accomplished QB in the history of the NFL. Most playoff wins, 4 rings in 6 tries, TEN Championship game appearances. The man has been phenomenal, but he's had plenty of help along the way.

He was greatly assisted by some great defenses and great coaching early on in his career. He threw one TD pass the entire playoffs his rookie year. That should tell you the type of defense he was playing with.

Then he went over 10 years without winning a super bowl. Didn't finish off the 19-0 season. When he was asked if he thought it was possible to be held to 17 points, he laughed. Like, "17 points, really??", they were held to 14 points, and 7 points for most of the game until the last few minutes. When he went up against stout defenses like Baltimore, or even a solid Jets defense, and Denver a couple of times, he got his butt kicked. He benefitted greatly from the worst call in the history of the super bowl when Pete Carroll put the ball in the air instead of giving it to beast mode. He's played in a laughably watered down AFC East for most of his career, never having to go up against a really good quarterback.

And one thing that most aren't considering. Brady should get a bunch of credit for consistently getting a 1st round bye due to having to compile either the 1st or 2nd best record in the conference, but when that happens, Belichick, who I think is the best ever, gets two weeks to prepare for the divisional round. Go look at the numbers when that man has two full weeks to prepare for a game.

When you're consistently getting to championship game after championship game, you're going to win some. Now granted, Brady has an above average winning % in those games which is not to be disrespected.

People wanna talk about Rodgers' average playoff record which is now 8-6, but Brady had a stretch between 2005-2013 (8 years) where he went 9-8. And that included two trips to the Super Bowl.

Again, taking absolutely nothing away from Brady. The results are what they are and he's a 4 time champion. But he's not invincible.

Let Rodgers and the Packers win another ring this year. That will put Rodgers at 11-6 in the playoffs with 2 rings and in all likelihood 2 SB MVP's. And see how much that begins to change the narrative.

WakeUpTheEchoes12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the more talented QB than Brady, no question. The things that he can do are unreal. The hail mary soaks up all of the attention from last week, but Rodgers' first TD to Cobb was even better. Absolutely sublime and not a play I think Brady is capable of making.

But, Brady has played for the better organization with the better coach for his whole career (I'm not talking about historically obviously as the Packers are a cornerstone NFL franchise in a way New England can never be, I'm talking about since 2001). The Patriots and Belicheck have done an outstanding job building consistently good to great defenses and strong offensive lines throughout Brady's career. I can't knock him for that, the man is the most accomplished QB of all time.

Members online

Latest posts