The Young Secondary

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really a Secondary play, but did anyone else see Shield's warp speed catching up to Stefan Logan on one play? Logan is not a slow kid and he got caught up to in like a half second near the right sideline, from halway across the field by Shields. Sometimes I forget how fast that kid actually is.. :eek:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really a Secondary play, but did anyone else see Shield's warp speed catching up to Stefan Logan on one play? Logan is not a slow kid and he got caught up to in like a half second near the right sideline, from halway across the field by Shields. Sometimes I forget how fast that kid actually is.. :eek:
I think Shields is the fastest player on our team.
He looked like a class up from Davon House last night.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shields is the fastest player on our team.
He looked like a class up from Davon House last night.
I looked it up. Not only is he the fastest player on our team, he's one of the fastest in NFL history. He runs a 4.25/4.26 40. In comparison Chris Johnson runs a 4.24 40. 0.01 second off of "the fastest player in NFL history."

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Also... Randy Moss?!?! He's been invisible for most of the season - except when he was covered by Jarrett Bush in the first game of the season. And VD has been next-to-invisible of late for some reason. Not that I disagree that the Packers will face better WR's in the playoffs, but there are far better examples than those two!
U R Right, Reggie Wayne-215yds M Colstom-153yds, and Randy Moss may be invisible,but he seems to show up when he plays the Packers, and yes he has lost a few steps but is a match up problem for our DB's'

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
You will eventually wake up to the fact that your big corners are a phase, a passing fad.
A passing fad? Our DB's can play well in cover but r vulnerable to big plays, and "hail merrys against tall receivers, like I said a taller & quicker DB will give any QB pause for deep throws, this is only a observation....

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
A passing fad? Our DB's can play well in cover but r vulnerable to big plays, and "hail merrys against tall receivers, like I said a taller & quicker DB will give any QB pause for deep throws, this is only a observation....
Height and speed are often inversely proportionate. Generally if they are that fast and that tall they don't waste their time back peddling. I'll take the 6'0 4.45 over 6'4 4.55 every day of the week.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great insight from Bob McGinn on Tramon's play against Megatron: Calvin Johnson caught 5 of 9 balls thrown his way with [Tramon] in coverage for 63 yards. Long was 19.

As we've said, the end numbers make it appear Megatron had a bigger impact on the game. But this shows how much he was limited by Williams. When you consider the amount of yards he got in the 4th Q, I think the Pack effectively shut him down.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Shields had to improve his tackling - and willingness to tackle - during the most recent off season and thank goodness he did. He has ball skills like a WR - which he was until his senior year at MIA. And IMO Tramon Williams played his best game this season last Sunday - I like his timing if he can keep it up.

IMO talent, instincts and ball skills are the most important traits for DBs and certainly more important than height. However, the Packers do favor taller CBs but by "tall" they mean about 6'. Note, every DB on the roster and PS is listed as at least 5'11" tall.

We all know Woodson at age 35 (and 6'1") is near the end of his HOF career but the good news is the next oldest DB is Tramon Williams at 29 years old (5'11"). Other than those two and Jarrett Bush (27 and 6'0") who thankfully has been returned to his proper role as a ST ace (because of the depth of the DBs), here are the ages of the DBs on the roster, PS, and IR and their heights:

22 years old: Casey Hayward 5'11", Davon House 6'0", Sean Richardson 6'2".
23 years old: Morgan Burnett 6'1", Jerron McMillian 5'11", MD Jennings 6'0".
24 years old: Sam Shields 5'11", James Nixon 6'0".

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...will-charles-woodsons-role-be-when-he-returns

But since Woodson has been out, rookie cornerback Casey Hayward has emerged as one of the Packers' top playmakers in the secondary. Hayward leads the team with six interceptions, and according to Pro Football Focus, he's been the second-best cornerback in the league this season, trailing only Chicago's Charles Tillman.
There are 112 cornerbacks in the NFL that have played at least 25 percent of their team's defensive snaps. The PFF grading system has four Green Bay cornerbacks in the top 40—Hayward, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields and Davon House.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...will-charles-woodsons-role-be-when-he-returns
Woodson's presence could take the Packers defense to the next level, as strong safety is currently the only true weak spot in Green Bay's secondary.

I try not getting too much into hypotheticals but after reading this the only thing I could think was "imagine if Nick were still around?"

Williams and Shields at CB, Nick at FS, Burnett at SS, and Hayward in the slot. Almost seems unfair.

Still sucks he got hurt like that.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've agreed also! Sam Shields is one of my favorite players and doesn't anyone else notice that he always makes the big plays?
So NOW will people finally agree with me that we definitely do NOT need to draft another CB? Because I've said it since last year.

Nope :D. Corner is one of those positions where it's a good idea to pick one every year or two 'just cuz'. It's a passing league, gotta have pass defenders.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts